• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Nocturnowl said:
I'm now filled with a number of conflicting emotions!
CassSept said:
It feels so wrong yet so good. Bizarre.
Preconception-induced cognitive dissonance FTW! That is actually one of the most fascinating aspects of this fandom. It's as entertaining to witness people getting hooked to the show, as it is watching the show itself. It's a real social psychologist's testbed.

Blue_Gecko said:
Managed to slap up an edit before anyone replied, adding both the Iron Giant and this:

In before ban? We shall see.

It's a cold, cold world outside of Equestria, friends.
This will certainly be interesting. I'm starting to feel quite privileged to be a member of such a tolerant forum.

Jintor

I have read and seen and watched untold amounts of things aimed at demographics that I am not a part of that have nevertheless entertained and amused me throughout my life. I can find just as much enjoyment in a historical novel about Julius Caeser as I can in a children's book about graveyards. There is no shame for liking something for what it is.

Anybody who cannot see this almost certainly likes something that someone else would say "You like that? What is wrong with you?".

Jintor

Ask them if they've watched Arthur, or Catdog, or anything where animals act like people

/edit tbh those responses all sound fairly jokingish. How much cred you have with that forum?

Cheerilee

Blue_Gecko said:
They think I find anthropomorphic cartoon animals sexually arousing.

=(

=((
Yeah, it's likely many of them already know about the show from Something Awful or 4chan, especially with one of them already calling you a brony. At least you tried. Don't take it personally. Make some more supportive friends.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Blue_Gecko said:

=(
There is a lot to be said about this kind of reaction - and not just to this particular show, but to anything a person happens to like that is outside what may be considered as "the norm". I could probably write a book on that alone. I won't start it here, because it would probably be considered a pretext for another shitstorm, and we already had enough of those.

In a few years, this phenomenon will be known as "The Great Internet Pony War of 2011". And we're all part of the frontlines.

Of course, you may take solace in the thought that this exchange tells us much more about those people than it does about you.

Uchip

Banned
Blue_Gecko said:

as soon as you give them human bodies you're gonna be questioned
but this?
this is talking horses lmao

zlatko

Banned
Watched the first episode and this new one about buffallos. Thought it was something little kids should be watching and more so girl kids.

4chan seems to have found a way to convince tons of geeks/nerds around the net that this is "cool" to like and watch. <_< Their trolling is god like.

The show isn't nearly as impressive off the bat as something like Freakazoid, Scooby Doo, Jetsons, Flintstones, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Dexter's Lab, and a couple dozen other good cartoon shows were back in the day right from the get go.

I feel bad for kids growing up these days not having awesome shows like my generation had with Johnny Bravo, Ed Edd and Eddy, and other shows I mentioned.

God speed Pony Gaf... I tried to come at it with an open mind, but came out with the same thoughts I had when I had an ignorant idea of what the show was about before actually seeing it.

zlatko said:
Watched the first episode and this new one about buffallos. Thought it was something little kids should be watching and more so girl kids.

4chan seems to have found a way to convince tons of geeks/nerds around the net that this is "cool" to like and watch. <_< Their trolling is god like.

The show isn't nearly as impressive off the bat as something like Freakazoid, Scooby Doo, Jetsons, Flintstones, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Dexter's Lab, and a couple dozen other good cartoon shows were back in the day right from the get go.

I feel bad for kids growing up these days not having awesome shows like my generation had with Johnny Bravo, Ed Edd and Eddy, and other shows I mentioned.

God speed Pony Gaf... I tried to come at it with an open mind, but came out with the same thoughts I had when I had an ignorant idea of what the show was about before actually seeing it.

Hey at least you tried.....but damn Ed Edd and Eddy doesn't belong with all those greats you just mentioned! (obviously just my opinion, I liked it when I was a kid but can't stand it now)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Blue_Gecko said:

As a furry I find it offensive that people assume that talking animals = furry and that enjoying talking animals = having sexual interest in them.

Raise your head and shun them, I tell ya!

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
zlatko said:

It would actually be pretty fascinating if the whole MLP popularity explosion was due to a small group of people who initially agreed to "pretend" they like this new children show and posted on 4chan/SA about how awesome it is, only for it to progress out of control due to the inherent hive-mind characteristics of members of internet communities.

That being said, I couldn't give a fuck either way. This shit is good for what it is, and while it might not be the focus of my current media consumption, it certainly makes for wholesome entertainment.

TheExodu5

Banned
zlatko said:

Nostalgia is making those shows seem better than they are. I mean, really, Scooby Doo isn't a very good show at all. MLP is one of the best written and animated kids' cartoon that I have ever seen.

Animaniacs is also terrible. God I hated that show. Bugs Bunny is a better show in every way possible.

zlatko

Banned
Nocturnowl said:
Hey at least you tried.....but damn Ed Edd and Eddy doesn't belong with all those greats you just mentioned! (obviously just my opinion, I liked it when I was a kid but can't stand it now)

Let's replace EEE with Hey Arnold.

STOOP KIDS AFRAID TO LEAVE HIS STOOP! ;D

I definitely get if some of you guys watching have a little girl or boy at home who is into it and you're trying to bond with them... but if you are a Forever Alone guy in his 20's then maybe it's a better idea to just revisit some of the awesome toons of yesteryear rather than the MLP train people are on. At least if someone catches you watching an old episode of Johnny Bravo they think you're awesome for nostalgia, but I'm not 100% sure what the reaction would be to getting caught watching My Little Pony during its intro.

Edit:
@Exodus

I get not being a fan of some of the shows I mentioned, but Scooby Doo is the one you picked? That is one of the longest running cartoons of all time. You're definitely in the minority on that.

As for one of the best written shows being MLP... Well first off when in the hell did cartoon shows need stellar writing for kids ? Secondly, the buffallo episode I saw was one of the most cliche things ever when the one pony put on a show for the ponies and the buffallos trying to unite them with the idea of "we're a lot alike," but she mentions hoofs and shit.

Some of this seems like people are too unwilling to even LOOK at what the fuck you are actually seeing and dissect it.

But yeah... people are into different shit in life it is what it is. I think what bugs me about this Pony fad... is that it's being force fed on people all freaking over. I mean I don't full on get why someone would want to become trans gender, but I accept that is how it is... I just appreciate them not force feeding it into every forum/thread I go to visit.

I hope that makes sense. <3 my Gaffers, but just wanted to put my 2 cents out there.

Ookami-kun said:
As a furry I find it offensive that people assume that talking animals = furry and that enjoying talking animals = having sexual interest in them.

Raise your head and shun them, I tell ya!
Just giving people ammunition.

Bad luck Blue_Gecko. What forum is that anyway, if I might ask?

zlatko said:
I definitely get if some of you guys watching have a little girl or boy at home who is into it and you're trying to bond with them... but if you are a Forever Alone guy in his 20's then maybe it's a better idea to just revisit some of the awesome toons of yesteryear rather than the MLP train people are on. At least if someone catches you watching an old episode of Johnny Bravo they think you're awesome for nostalgia, but I'm not 100% sure what the reaction would be to getting caught watching My Little Pony during its intro.
I don't think you do get it. And not everyone is as judgmental as you seem to think.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
zlatko said:

The problem is that you're limiting your choices on recent cartoons. It's definitely a nostalgia thing about that line.

I can always go back to my main 3 of Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo (first series only mind you) and Powerpuff Girls and be entertained. Hmmm all of those spawned from those cartoon cartoon shorts, maybe we need a new generation of them.

daffy

Banned
zlatko said:

Hmm ok, but go back and watch some of those shows today.

zlatko

Banned
FTH said:

I can still watch episodes of Freakazoid, Dexter's Lab, and Hey Arnold without any problem. Those are ones I've definitely revisited in the last year and had a good time doing so.

FTH said:
Actually on this note I came across some Pinky and The Brain on tv recently.
The plot of the episode involved Brain trying to get workers compensation and then being accused of sexual harassment. Then the next episode had tons of outdated celebrity and politician cameos. I can't tell if its great or simply trying too hard.

TheExodu5

Banned
Nocturnowl said:
Actually on this note I came across some Pinky and The Brain on tv recently.
The plot of the episode involved Brain trying to get workers compensation and then being accused of sexual harassment. Then the next episode had tons of outdated celebrity and politician cameos. I can't tell if its great or simply trying too hard.

Pinky and the Brain was fairly good for the first season. It goes downhill after the Animaniacs girl comes in.

daffy

Banned
zlatko said:
I can still watch episodes of Freakazoid, Dexter's Lab, and Hey Arnold without any problem. Those are ones I've definitely revisited in the last year and had a good time doing so.
I'm not going to say MLP is of the same god-like caliber of Dexter's Lab or Hey Arnold, but I really do think that if you were to look at the first seasons of both shows, somehow without any nostalgia clouding your judgement, you would probably feel some of the same emotions as you did here.

MLP will hit it's stride in Season 2 for sure. At least you did give the show a chance instead of writing it off though, that's awesome. Maybe you'll try it again for Season 2?

Jintor

zlatko said:

Almost all of the shows you reference are way more 'subversive' (bar possibly Scooby Doo and the Jetsons) than MLP is even aiming to be, and thus their accidental demographics skew slightly higher than MLP's accidental demographic. MLP hits a different part of the brain.

It's like liking Mr Men books. Hell, you know it ain't no Muppets. But it's still a good book!

(Goddamn analogies, they never work)

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
In actual news, it has been released that the title for episode 25 will be "A Party of One", to be aired on 2011-04-29. No synopsis was given, though.

Speculation?

aOJcl.jpg

Myke Greywolf said:
In actual news, it has been released that the title for episode 25 will be "A Party of One", to be aired on 2011-04-29. No synopsis was given, though.

Speculation?

http://i.imgur.com/aOJcl.jpg
Man, if Luna wasn't confirmed for the second season I would immediately think that was an episode for her.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the Grand Galloping Gala considering it's the second to last episode.

Or maybe Pinkie throws a party and no one shows up because they're all too busy that day.

Nishastra

Banned
Confused101 said:
Or maybe Pinkie throws a party and no one shows up because they're all too busy that day.
If that were to happen, I'd expect Pinkie to just take the party to them in the most disastrous way possible.

duckroll said:
Cool. Just watched ep20. I guess the season finale is going to be the Grand Galloping Gala?
That's the speculation so far.

And oh man, 'A Party of One' makes me think of that fan art of Pinkie sitting by her parent's graves with a balloon hanging off of the tree branch.

Nishastra

Banned
Mechanical Snowman said:
And oh man, 'A Party of One' makes me think of that fan art of Pinkie sitting by her parent's graves with a balloon hanging off of the tree branch.
That reminds me, we're supposed to be meeting some parents soon, aren't we?

Nishastra said:
That reminds me, we're supposed to be meeting some parents soon, aren't we?
Yeah but that could mean the next season, as I think Faust also said we'll be seeing Luna 'soon' though it turns out she meant season 2. I hope it is sooner though.

OMG Aero

Mechanical Snowman said:
Yeah but that could mean the next season, as I think Faust also said we'll be seeing Luna 'soon' though it turns out she meant season 2. I hope it is sooner though.
Not next weeks episode but the week after is about the CMC asking the main cast how they got their marks, so if it's a flashback episode then that could be when we see their parents.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Code:
Who Posted?
Total Posts: 4,954
User Name 	Posts
Myke Greywolf 	290
G-Fex 	223
Foxix 	205
ivedoneyourmom 	180
Mechanical Snowman 	156
Shanadeus 	121
Koomaster 	120
Amibguous Cad 	105
ZealousD 	105
Jintor 	103
Dai101 	101
I don't know if I should feel good or bad about this.

Koomaster

Myke Greywolf said:
Code:
Who Posted?
User Name 	Posts
Myke Greywolf 	290
G-Fex 	223
Foxix 	205
ivedoneyourmom 	180
Mechanical Snowman 	156
Shanadeus 	121
Koomaster 	120
Amibguous Cad 	105
ZealousD 	105
Jintor 	103
Dai101 	101
How do people find this info, I am curious. I sometimes see this in other threads. You guys aren't counting the posts by hand I assume.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Koomaster said:
How do people find this info, I am curious. I sometimes see this in other threads. You guys aren't counting the posts by hand I assume.
Click the number under the "Replies" column on the thread index.

Myke Greywolf said:
Code:
Who Posted?
User Name 	Posts
Myke Greywolf 	290
G-Fex 	223
duckroll  	215   
Foxix 	205
ivedoneyourmom 	180
Mechanical Snowman 	156
Shanadeus 	121
Koomaster 	120
Amibguous Cad 	105
ZealousD 	105
Jintor 	103
Dai101 	101
Fixed (Soon to be) ;)

Snaku

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:

Speculation?

aOJcl.jpg

Maybe it's an introspective episode taking place entirely within Pinkie's mind a la the Evangelion series finale?

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Snaku said:
Maybe it's an introspective episode taking place entirely within Pinkie's mind a la the Evangelion series finale?
And it will end with Pinkie waking up on a totally deserted Equestria wasteland, with the exception of Rainbow Dash by her side, who promptly attempts to strangle her.

Snaku

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
And it will end with Pinkie waking up on a totally deserted Equestria wasteland, with the exception of Rainbow Dash by her side, who promptly attempts to strangle her.

And season 2 will be called Rebuild of My Little Pony?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom