• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
After re-watching the first episode I can't help but to wonder if Luna's and Celestia's physical manifestations are completely dependant on their state of mind?

Princess Luna and Nightmare Moon seem to have different personalities, bodies and voices. So when Luna let resentment take over her heart she basically became a completely different mare.

So it could be said that Princess Celestia didn't banish Luna to to moon for a 1000 years but a mare called Nightmare Moon.

I also can't help but wonder who would Celestia turn into if she ever went bad. Maybe she would become Solar Flare Mare.

KtSlime

googleplex said:
I also can't help but wonder who would Celestia turn into if she ever went bad. Maybe she would become Solar Flare Mare.

Nah, her name would be Celestia... You can't go bad if you already are. o_O.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
googleplex said:
I just don't get the whole "Evil Celestia" thing. Thus far she's hasn't done anything remotely sinister.
It's just a fan joke. I'd be absolutely floored if any type of Celestia specific story along any lines like that showed up.

Probably do one of these.

MLPShock.jpg

KtSlime

googleplex said:
I just don't get the whole "Evil Celestia" thing. Thus far she's hasn't done anything remotely sinister.

No worries, it's just a joke. You got to poke fun at the pony at the top, otherwise they let it get to their head - poniology 101.

(I'm an anthropologist)

Foxix Von

ivedoneyourmom said:
No worries, it's just a joke. You got to poke fun at the pony at the top, otherwise they let it get to their head - poniology 101.

(I'm an anthroponygist)

It's kind of amazing that it hasn't gotten to her head yet. I mean, she's been treated like a god for over a thousand years and she still seems to maintain a kind of lighthearted humble persona.

There does seem to be more to her though. I mean Twilight, her own personal student, was afraid of Fluttershy facing incredible punishment over the whole sick bird fiasco.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Foxix said:
There does seem to be more to her though. I mean Twilight, her own personal student, was afraid of Fluttershy facing incredible punishment over the whole sick bird fiasco.

That type of behavior has shown up in other series before. Disappointing the mentor you respect can be fearful. A good comparison is Harry Potter, Harry was often very fearful of making even the slightest mistake and feared being banished from the wizarding world or thrown in a dungeon.

Foxix said:
It's kind of amazing that it hasn't gotten to her head yet. I mean, she's been treated like a god for over a thousand years and she still seems to maintain a kind of lighthearted humble persona.

Besides everypony knows that Celestia and Luna are just figure heads and Derpy is the real power behind the throne.

akira28

DrForester said:
That type of behavior has shown up in other series before. Disappointing the mentor you respect can be fearful. A good comparison is Harry Potter, Harry was often very fearful of making even the slightest mistake and feared being banished from the wizarding world or thrown in a dungeon.

Well in HP being banished and thrown into a dungeon was basically the consequences of violating the law, something he was pretty much always doing.

Celestia seems to have this benevolent wisdom thing going on for her, forcing everyone to face their primary challenges in subtle but direct ways. So she's definitely trolling, but you want to be trolled by Celestia, you come out a better person.... Or banished and in a dungeon under the place you've been banished to.

I'm with Team Luna anyway.

akira28 said:
Well in HP being banished and thrown into a dungeon was basically the consequences of violating the law, something he was pretty much always doing.

Celestia seems to have this benevolent wisdom thing going on for her, forcing everyone to face their primary challenges in subtle but direct ways. So she's definitely trolling, but you want to be trolled by Celestia, you come out a better person.... Or banished and in a dungeon under the place you've been banished to.

What you just described isn't Trolling, but training and teaching.

Foxix Von

ahoyhoy said:
Isn't today Pony Day? Why aren't there more people freaking out?

It's HOUUUUURRRS away. Also for people like me on the west coast it's not pony day yet and if it is they're probably still asleep.

KtSlime

Foxix said:
It's HOUUUUURRRS away. Also for people like me on the west coast it's not pony day yet and if it is they're probably still asleep.

Hub airs all their programming on an Eastern schedule, but yet, we still are about 12 hours away, even longer if you have to wait for a YouTube upload.

akira28

googleplex said:
What you just described isn't Trolling, but training and teaching.

I guess I always considered trolling to be all about outlining the path, laying down the brick work, and then tricking someone to walk down it. It's just that Celestia forces you to conquer your fears more than engaging you in a hour long conversation about lolcats. She teaches life lessons but I gather she could just as easily be a scourge.

Foxix Von

ivedoneyourmom said:
Hub airs all their programming on an Eastern schedule, but yet, we still are about 12 hours away, even longer if you have to wait for a YouTube upload.

Don't remind me :(

At least I might get around to starting my homework by then. (hopefully)

akira28 said:

a1wjj.jpg

Celestia had her Xanatos Gambit planned the moment she saw Twilight go all Dark Phoenix. It's no coincidence that all of the element holders were in Ponyville well before the Summer Sun Celebration, or that Twilight would just happen to meet them in the course of her duties to the princess. She ensured Twilight would be there the day of the Summer Sun Celebration, and tapped all the element holders to plan for the celebration. She's the one that got Dash kicked out of flight school, only to obliquely open the door to a civil engineering position controlling the weather for her in Ponyville. She's the one that prevented Rarity's career from going anywhere, which would lead to her moving to a bigger city like Canterlot, despite her obvious talent, until NMM was defeated. She was the one who gave those rock farmers a bit of a nudge when Pinkie claimed she wanted to get out and see the world.

Everything is her fault.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Amibguous Cad said:
http://imgur.com/a1wjj.jpg

Celestia had her Xanatos Gambit planned the moment she saw Twilight go all Dark Phoenix. It's no coincidence that all of the element holders were in Ponyville well before the Summer Sun Celebration, or that Twilight would just happen to meet them in the course of her duties to the princess. She ensured Twilight would be there the day of the Summer Sun Celebration, and tapped all the element holders to plan for the celebration. She's the one that got Dash kicked out of flight school, only to obliquely open the door to a civil engineering position controlling the weather for her in Ponyville. She's the one that prevented Rarity's career from going anywhere, which would lead to her moving to a bigger city like Canterlot, despite her obvious talent, until NMM was defeated. She was the one who gave those rock farmers a bit of a nudge when Pinkie claimed she wanted to get out and see the world.

Everything is her fault.

Princess Celestia is a Marie Sue for Lauren Faust.

googleplex said:
After re-watching the first episode I can't help but to wonder if Luna's and Celestia's physical manifestations are completely dependant on their state of mind?

Princess Luna and Nightmare Moon seem to have different personalities, bodies and voices. So when Luna let resentment take over her heart she basically became a completely different mare.
It occurred to me you can explain that away by suggesting that, on that day, Luna was possessed by an evil spirit and Celestia a good spirit. This explains the long life and why Celestia is now so much taller than her sister: while Luna's spirit departed after its defeat, Celestia's is still inside her.

/relurk

ChuckNoLuck said:
Yeah, and you just happened to change your avatar now that Foxix changed his back. Don't worry, we all still love you, even if you're now a moldy sandwich because you lost your avatar girlfriend.
Zomba13 said:
So good. What's up with the orange emoish hair one?
Some of theme are just made up. Note: the 'weed' pony with the doobie.

Cheerilee

googleplex said:
The show implies that Celestia is "good" and Nightmare Moon (not Luna) was "evil". But Celestia framed Nightmare Moon.

Why did Celestia disappear from the party before Nightmare Moon's escape? Well, if we just ignore the discrepancy in the timing (and why would we do that?), are we to believe that Nightmare Moon's mere existence in Equestria automatically banishes Celestia to imprisonment in the sun? No, that can't be it, because Celestia beat up Nightmare moon previously. And Celestia's own history records say nothing of that kind of power, just that Nightmare/Luna was emotionally overwhelmed and distraught and refused to move her moon, and was severely punished for it.

Well, maybe Celestia's trap spell backfired on her. Maybe the only way to escape the imprisonment spell was to swap it's target back towards Celestia. But then how did Celestia just happen to come strolling in out of the sun? And if Celestia "escaped" from the trap spell, who was it that raised the sun just before Celestia escaped from it? Luna certainly didn't do it. And why was it timed to coincide with Nightmare reverting back to Luna if her transformation had nothing to do with Celestia's imprisonment?

Occam's razor. The simplest explanation if usually the right one. Pinkie Pie said it the moment Celestia failed to appear. She's hiding. In the sun. Which isn't even visible because Celestia hid that too. Celestia hid herself away to scare Twilight into thinking that Nightmare had done something unspeakably horrible to her, prompting Twilight to beat Nightmare up for doing nothing more criminal than appearing suddenly, mouthing off with some accusatory ponies, and then walking home.

Nightmare Moon wasn't even remotely responsible for a second attempt at indefinite night. Celestia was the one who lowered the sun and raised the moon. Nightmare just arrived on the scene, and was gleefully happy to do absolutely nothing about an apparent problem of an "eternal night" which hadn't even gone a few minutes past midnight yet (bunch of panicky ponies can't even last five minutes without basking in Celestia's glow).

Celestia waited for Luna to get beaten down to tears, and then emerged from her hiding place to play good cop. If Celestia has this kind of foresight and power, why didn't she resolve Luna's situation on a kinder way? She decided to deal with Luna's weakness by beating the weak out of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom