• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxix Von

Pankaks said:
You can usually get away with them if they're slightly funny and if the threads are moving quickly.

Posting Pony .gifs is a shot in the dark though, it's probably best to avoid doing so.

In the Off Topic section I don't think there's much to worry about but if you read one of the old PSN threads Y2kev is pretty adamant against any pony images over there in gaming. Then again that may also be because IIRC one of those threads had a pony derail in the past. It may be worth PM'ing him about it in a nice way. Assuming you'll get a nice response back that is haha.

EDIT: ^ yeah it says fth is still banned: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=54901

DOUBLE EDT: I didn't count right, it's a minimum of 6 bronies that we've lost. I forgot I am now. haha

Nishastra

Banned
Foxix said:
DOUBLE EDT: I didn't count right, it's a minimum of 6 bronies that we've lost. I forgot I am now. haha
This sentence took me several tries to understand. That name is very confusing when used in a sentence, but perfect for being banned. "I am now banned"

Foxix Von

Oh and I pm'd Alex Anderson a while back about the "anypony" and pony puns, I got this in response.

Alex Anderson said:
Hmm, I wish I knew to tell ya. My only exposure to it was really my niece watching the A Very Minty Christmas movie that was put out on DVD. I don't remember a lot of puns, but I can't say for sure

Also good morning! Waking up at the crack of noon oh yeah

So someone also mentioned earlier that they didn't notice anything either in earlier series so I think it's safe to assume that those particular phrases and puns are unique to gen 4.

And yeah, I Am Now's username is sort of wonky haha. Also doesn't help that I think I have a very strange way of writing lol.

Myke Greywolf said:
DEM BEZIERS.jpg
That is HOT TO THE TOUCH. It's on me to update the avatar version.Parappa always had a crazy color palette, and so trying to reverse engineer hair and then a background is a delicate balancing act. This is GORGEOUS though.

I've never used gimp or inkscape, but I imagine them to be similar to Photoshop and Illustrator respectively. I made yours in Flash using a wacom, which is all kinds of cheating, and also all kinds of expensive if you don't already have those laying around (also nothing will excuse the unsee-able glove sticks of butter on the one I drew you).

If I were doing that jazzy jazz in photoshop/illustrator, unless I'm working with something delicate like the eye, hair or cutie mark, I would see about just using the line tools to draw the uh... "lines of the sketch" as opposed to the "line borders" (terminology gets tricky around here) so that I have the basic shape of the arms, body and legs with a single uniform line (you can put the legs or head into a new layer or group to make this more manageable).

After SAVING A NEW VERSION, I would then combine/break them all into a single vector object and then mess with the points to taper the ends (like where the jawline or legs go into the main head/body).

From there you can fill in solid areas, and use groups/layers to do the cutie mark or eyes. it helps to have the ears in a separate group or layer as well, just to try and get around the hair.

Also there's a million different ways to do this process, it just depends on your tools and what you're more comfortable with. It'll certain speed up once you get used to all the shortcuts and how you do 'em.

There's a ponychan thread with some advice, though it's heavily skewed towards raster art instead of vector. Be mindful when browsing that thread that those aren't "rules" per se, just tips, and if it makes your eyes derp then don't pay too much attention to it.

Foxix Von

You guys are doing such awesome work with the drawings lol, I'm seriously curious how mine's gonna turn out haha.

Really makes me wish I had the recourses to digitally ink my Vinyl Scratch doodle haha.

NEO0MJ

Pankaks said:
Posting Pony .gifs is a shot in the dark though, it's probably best to avoid doing so.

But it's just so unfair.

Foxix said:
In the Off Topic section I don't think there's much to worry about but if you read one of the old PSN threads Y2kev is pretty adamant against any pony images over there in gaming. Then again that may also be because IIRC one of those threads had a pony derail in the past. It may be worth PM'ing him about it in a nice way. Assuming you'll get a nice response back that is haha.

Yeah, a massive pony invasion happened at the PSN thread. I blame Pandaman on this predicament.
Maybe we should ask Y2K if it's really ban worthy. I'm hoping Y2K was joking or just angry at the moment.

Foxix Von

NEO0MJ said:
But it's just so unfair.

Yeah, a massive pony invasion happened at the PSN thread. I blame Pandaman on this predicament.
Maybe we should ask Y2K if it's really ban worthy. I'm hoping Y2K was joking.

Hmmm I don't recall Pandaman having anything to do with it. I think it was mostly just the old folk who used to troll this thread back in OT days. I always find it fascinating that haters actually derail more stuff with pony shit that the actual fans.

It's really weird and I don't think I've ever seen anything like that.

It didn't seem like Y2Kev was joking to me but there's no harm in asking. >_>

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
It wasnt a "Massive pony invasion".

Forester posted a single reaction gif and the whole place went completely fucking apeshit.

And Pandaman wasn't even there.

NEO0MJ

Foxix said:
Hmmm I don't recall Pandaman having anything to do with it. I think it was mostly just the old folk who used to troll this thread back in OT days. I always find it fascinating that haters actually derail more stuff with pony shit that the actual fans.

It's really weird and I don't think I've ever seen anything like that.

It didn't seem like Y2Kev was joking to me but there's no harm in asking. >_>

I wasn't around, but I know we weren't involved much. Still, from what I understand a whole lot of pony was posted, therefore pony invasion.
And it's gonna be hard finding the right time to ask him about this, with E3 right around the corner.

CHEEZMO™ said:

Forester posted a single reaction gif and the whole place went completely fucking apeshit.

I meant the one before, the one were pages were deleted, I think. Forester's post was just what broke the mule's back.

Foxix Von

CHEEZMO™ said:

Are you talking about the current thread?

There have been multiple PSN threads and one of the MUCH earlier ones we are talking actually had a pony derail that was later edited out by mods. That's the one we're referencing *I think*

tiff

Banned
Foxix said:

There have been multiple PSN threads and one of the MUCH earlier ones we are talking actually had a pony derail that was later edited out by mods. That's the one we're referencing *I think*
Oh, yeah, that one had nothing to do with PonyGAF.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Foxix said:

You probably are then. My bad.
I don't spend much time in Gaming, let alone PS/Sony-based threads.

I was talking about the one where Y2Kev gave his ultimatum.

I vaguely remember one of the earlier "PSN is down" threads, where there was a Pony Kratos that stirred some insanity. From then on the users went batshit insane and pandaman posted some of his pics to add to the insanity.

Soloist

Neo Member
Foxix said:

Pony kratos right? That wasn't really started by anyone from ponyGAF. It was already derailed before pandaman posted the hilarious Celestia x Kratos comic :p

ThreeSix said:
If we can make it past E3 without incident and the junior members stay good until 300 posts, then it won't be as much of an issue in the future.

After all, how many of the banned people were junior members?
I don't think any of the banned members were juniors at the time. 2th became a full member in the same thread he was banned in. But our biggest lost was our dear Jenga ;)

To put those PSN threads in perspective though, people were initially writhing in a pool of black bile, and if you go back and find the original PSN thead you'd be astonished by the amount of people (non-pony) that were banned for all sorts of reasons.

Y2Kev is pretty justified in trying to avoid another meltdown like the one Pandaman caused by proclaiming an edict on pony macros in that thread. The lesser of two evils is the couple of pages of dudebro high fives versus the thread spending 20 pages getting mixed up in the social morays of gender roles or any number of esoteric topics that come up every time a thread gets derailed (ARGUABLY by non-pony people, but not exclusively) by a single innocent question about where wall-eyed Pinkie comes from.

Some men just want to watch the world burn... via pony kratos.

Post E3, gaf will either be euphoric or disappointed, and have less energy overall to freak out as a whole. This is just a phase that will pass.

Nishastra

Banned
Meltingparappa, something has been bugging me about your avatar. The one rear leg that's in the background seems too... saturated. It looks more yellow rather than darker. I notice it's like that on the original picture too, but for some reason it doesn't stand out there.

Has this sort of meltdown happened to any other CommunityGaf? Not the show Community.
10 more days until I get my cutie mar.....erm. Become a member :D

NEO0MJ

meltingparappa said:
Also if you've never seen that Kratos/Celestia comic, it's amazing, even moreso because it caused the internet equivalent of Battleship Potemkin's riots in the streets.

Ha, wish I was there. Is it possible to view the lost pages via the way back machine?

McNum

meltingparappa said:
Also if you've never seen that Kratos/Celestia comic, it's amazing, even moreso because it caused the internet equivalent of Battleship Potemkin's riots in the streets.
What bothers me most about that is that it doesn't really bother me at all. It's Kratos and My Little Pony and it's blatantly played for laughs.

I kind of expected it to be Kratos AS a pony. Can you even make that much rage incarnate into a pony? Should you even try?

Nishastra said:
Meltingparappa, something has been bugging me about your avatar. The one rear leg that's in the background seems too... saturated.
That's what I get for using a monitor whose contrast settings are on its last legs.

meltingparappa7.png
meltingparappa8.png

Does the one on the right look better?

akira28

Personally, since I have no emotional involvement with PS3 or Sony, I thought the Celestia/Kratos comic was a crowning moment of awesome. It wasn't particularly squicky, but it was certainly irreverent of the subject matter and fuckin hilarious to boot.

"Let's see...you liked pancakes, right?" hahah she knew.. She *remembered*!! Just the ridiculousness, it's like going right up to the indecency line and doing a dance on it. Or an example of when "adult" jokes go right.

Foxix Von

mazeedibeedi said:
Has this sort of meltdown happened to any other CommunityGaf? Not the show Community.
10 more days until I get my cutie mar.....erm. Become a member :D

Not that I recall.

Pony-Gaf as a whole is a really, really strange phenomenon here. I mean we're a community thread now, we're essentially exploring new worlds and going where nopony no man has gone before.

McNum said:
What bothers me most about that is that it doesn't really bother me at all. It's Kratos and My Little Pony and it's blatantly played for laughs.

I kind of expected it to be Kratos AS a pony. Can you even make that much rage incarnate into a pony? Should you even try?
Well.....there was a custom made MLP Kratos toy that derailed the PSN thread.

McNum

meltingparappa said:
Does the one on the right look better?
Yeah, the one on the right is good.

EDIT: Whoa, now THAT is a Pony of War! The expression is right, too. Kratos has two settings. "RAGE!" and "RAAAAAAGE!"

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
meltingparappa said:

How have I never seen this comic before? Lol.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
meltingparappa said:
That is HOT TO THE TOUCH. It's on me to update the avatar version.Parappa always had a crazy color palette, and so trying to reverse engineer hair and then a background is a delicate balancing act. This is GORGEOUS though.

I've never used gimp or inkscape, but I imagine them to be similar to Photoshop and Illustrator respectively. I made yours in Flash using a wacom, which is all kinds of cheating, and also all kinds of expensive if you don't already have those laying around (also nothing will excuse the unsee-able glove sticks of butter on the one I drew you).

If I were doing that jazzy jazz in photoshop/illustrator, unless I'm working with something delicate like the eye, hair or cutie mark, I would see about just using the line tools to draw the uh... "lines of the sketch" as opposed to the "line borders" (terminology gets tricky around here) so that I have the basic shape of the arms, body and legs with a single uniform line (you can put the legs or head into a new layer or group to make this more manageable).

After SAVING A NEW VERSION, I would then combine/break them all into a single vector object and then mess with the points to taper the ends (like where the jawline or legs go into the main head/body).

From there you can fill in solid areas, and use groups/layers to do the cutie mark or eyes. it helps to have the ears in a separate group or layer as well, just to try and get around the hair.

Also there's a million different ways to do this process, it just depends on your tools and what you're more comfortable with. It'll certain speed up once you get used to all the shortcuts and how you do 'em.

There's a ponychan thread with some advice, though it's heavily skewed towards raster art instead of vector. Be mindful when browsing that thread that those aren't "rules" per se, just tips, and if it makes your eyes derp then don't pay too much attention to it.
Thank you so much for the advice! I use a smallish Wacom Graphire 3 tablet, but I am not able to draw worth a damn with it, as I'm really not able to adequately project my hand's movements to the screen without anything to guide them - hence the need for a paper sketch. Unfortunately, I only have access to free graphic tools - so no Flash, Illustrator or Photoshop; But Inkscape and GIMP reproduce most of the feature set from Illustrator and Photoshop pretty well, so no big problems there.

I really have to start training laying whole vector lines over the sketch to get that uniform look, and I going to try that with the next drawing.

Also, just edited the post where I posted your pony with an alternative version, closer to the puppy we all know and love.

Mechanical Snowman said:
Just read 'Cupcakes', for those that have read it, what did you think of the writing style?
I don't even know, I only read every other line and tried to keep my lunch inside my stomach.

Negator said:
Only ponies can derail a trainwreck.
Cause friendship is magic Duh.
Pandaman said:
thanks guys, but its okay.

im used to it.

as it happens, i wasnt the first one to post pony kratos in the first psn thread either. >_>

the comic almost had a part two though:
http://i.imgur.com/AWhXk.jpg
If its any consolation, you help to keep the trolls away from this thread :)
I know you didn't derail the PSN thread, but that comic you posted was hilarious

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
meltingparappa said:
ooh, havent seen this one before.

--

@ GIMP users: did gimp ever do any serious overhauls to its brush tools? i remember a beta version getting jitter functionality waay back, but i also rmemebering having to save new brushes rather than being able to resize at will. >_>

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
mazeedibeedi said:
Cause friendship is magic Duh.

If its any consolation, you help to keep the trolls away from this thread :)
I know you didn't derail the PSN thread, but that comic you posted was hilarious
Panda trolls both the haters and us.

It somehow works.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
CHEEZMO™ said:
Panda trolls both the haters and us.

It somehow works.
i troll you guys gently because i need your materials to further my trolling in starcraft threads.

except now sc2gaf has started joining ponygaf. xD

Pandaman said:
i troll you guys gently because i need your materials to further my trolling in starcraft threads.

except now sc2gaf has started joining ponygaf. xD
Really?
Pandaman. The official PonyGaf community preacher. We ain't gonna let you loose in the gaming thread just yet :p

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mazeedibeedi said:
Really?
Pandaman. The official PonyGaf community preacher. We ain't gonna let you loose in the gaming thread.
zealousD joined, holden is watching the show, scogoth watched the show, i think holycheck watches the show and jasonng is thinking about watching.

plans are to capture splinter and the other half of team gaf atm.

Myke Greywolf said:
I really have to start training laying whole vector lines over the sketch to get that uniform look, and I going to try that with the next drawing.

Here is the worst "tutorial" in the history of tutorials (but an illustration of what I was talking about, to help speed some things up for you)

Basically, except for complicated bits like the eyes, cutie mark, hair or extra details, you can lay down a lot of the main "inking" pretty quickly and uniformly if you throw a bunch of simple lines and shapes on there, then adjust the curves, then combine them into a big object that you can use the fill tool in.

if you ever get stuck in your sketches, send me a PM and I'll try to offer any advice I can give in terms of the mechanics of vector art. The parappa one is great though, and the new ear is a great touch.

Foxix said:
Yeah I seriously don't think it's just that we're noticing it more. I keep seeing a lot of users I recognize getting banned recently. I think they're doing a series of preemptive bombing runs before E3 get's into full swing.

I'm relatively certain the overall amount of bannings has been up the past few weeks. Shanadeus is gone, flying phoenix, 2th(Ok, he really had it coming though), and I know a couple of others are out for a while too although I can't remember them off the top of my head.

EDIT: ^ lol yeah I know, I wasn't serious, I just felt like making a watchmen joke. :p

Just browsing on through but from what I know all the bannings are a combination of the PSN threads, Pre E3 madness, and the fact that post history for the mods was turned back on allowing them to better check what people have been up to and see if they missed any thing that people should have been banned for.

Pandaman said:
zealousD joined, holden is watching the show, scogoth watched the show, i think holycheck watches the show and jasonng is thinking about watching.

plans are to capture splinter and the other half of team gaf atm.
C7Gbm.jpg

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
parappa how do you make your lines curve without the curve carrying into the next anchor. i never figured that out when i was photoshoping and it killed my interest in vector art early on.

see:
JFzxh.png

the curve i did to the 2nd-3rd anchor line carries over into the third-fourth anchor line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom