• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG Aero

Hugoboss21 said:
damn those are nice, can somebody make an avatar of the snake one plz :D
Here you go:
v8g5U.png
SMnpr.png

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
ThreeSix said:
I had to get the Adam Jensen pony. Needed a new avatar anyways.

Adam Jensen
JC Denton

:O

I'm gonna miss Noir Pinkie.

OMG Aero

mazeedibeedi said:
Ponybeat delivers as usual. I thought the Nightmare ending felt completely out of place, like it almost ruined the song for me. Thankfully there's a version without the horrible growling
Yeah, I like the music but I'm not really a fan of the nightmare ending at all. Is this based on any song in the show or is this completely original?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dinosaur avatars are getting on my nerves. Used no doubt being used only by people who like to have sex with dinosaurs. They should all be banned.

tiff

Banned
DrForester said:
Dinosaur avatars are getting on my nerves. Used no doubt being used only by people who like to have sex with dinosaurs. They should all be banned.
Am I smelling a Dino vs. Pony war on the battleground of E3?

tiff

Banned
DrForester said:
No, I'm being sarcastic. Even before I enjoyed the show, I didn't get the hate for the avatars.
I know. I just think it would be funny.

I mean it's an awful idea and I wouldn't want to throw PonyGAF under the bus like that, but I so want to call the Dino av guys scalies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
QisTopTier said:
Nathan Drake?

Ah, I never played the Uncharted series so I couldn't put my finger on it.

DrForester said:
No, I'm being sarcastic. Even before I enjoyed the show, I didn't get the hate for the avatars.

Before I started watching the show, I felt like some of the avatars were really obnoxious and/or poorly looped.

Then again, I feel that way about most animated avatars.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
G-Fex said:
So, ponies finally got to you, my friend? No matter, we'll still be here if you need us. :)

Meanwhile, here is a slightly differently styled Fluttershy that I came across on Bronibooru and that caught my eye:

dMCj4.jpg

I find it very interesting to see people experimenting with diverse cartoon styles for drawing ponies, because it allows me to analyze what exactly makes FiM's style so captivating to the audience, and ways to extract the essence of that appeal and apply it to other styles.

What do you think about this, Pony-GAF? What makes these ponies so cute and appealing, specially comparing them with the previous generations of the franchise?

The new ponies are sleek and simple. They've got enough detail to be expressive and unique but not a bit more than is necessary. It seems like they tried to make the old ones overly detailed, but instead they look sorta lumpy and monstrous.

McNum

RomanticHeroX said:
The new ponies are sleek and simple. They've got enough detail to be expressive and unique but not a bit more than is necessary. It seems like they tried to make the old ones overly detailed, but instead they look sorta lumpy and monstrous.
Yeah, pretty much. The FiM ponies are simple, but well animated. It's almost as if they deliberately cut down on details to make it easier to animate the ponies in all sorts of poses and expressions.

Speaking of expressions, the sheer variety of facial expressions that this show is capable of is pretty awesome. I'll just point to all the avatars and reaction images that have been made from this show, with most of them being unique. Plus the show isn't afraid to go off-model when it needs to, especially with Pinkie Pie, but all the ponies get in on the wild takes at some point. You know that Simpsons thread in OT that complains about the visual charm the new seasons have lost due to them being stiff and not going off model? The new ponies have that charm in spades.

Then again, would we expect anything else than "simple, but expressive" from the company that animated Pucca?

Simplicity is key when it comes to characters.
This is actually a key point to Matt Groenings designs, as well.
You need to be able to pick out a character from just the shadow.

I think there's a lot to be said about good writing but I'll focus on just aesthetics.

Lauren does a ton with just a small amount of design changes. Slight changes to snouts and bodies cause a gender change. Slight differences to the geometry of the main character's eyes/eyebrows makes them distinct at an almost invisible level. You could tell which of the 6 main ponies is which just by their eyes alone, even without the color differences. In motion the simple designs are full of expression in the classic cartoon fashion. It's why so many freeze frames and gifs exist; the faces are so elastic and vibrant.

I just found an image of older style ponies (not sure which gen) and they literally all look the same outside of the colours. This is not so with Lauren's designs.

One of the reasons I said I wish there were more unique pony designs, was because they're subdued when they're different. Mr and Mrs Cake look awesome, but they're not that far off the regular design spec. There's an economy of lines that she's achieved that you see in a lot of comic artists years after they begin (Girls With Slingshots or Sinfest are great examples, comparing the first comics to recent ones).

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
McNum said:
Speaking of expressions, the sheer variety of facial expressions that this show is capable of is pretty awesome.
I agree that the expression work on the characters is phenomenal. You can see that, at the best moments, the expressions change in an extremely dynamic way, reacting to the on-screen events, even if the focus isn't on that particular characters. The eyes and mouth are, of course, the crucial elements, and you can see the dedication by the little details, like pupils contracting and dilating.

McNum said:
Plus the show isn't afraid to go off-model when it needs to, especially with Pinkie Pie, but all the ponies get in on the wild takes at some point.
That is true, but we see that this particular aspect of the animation suffers whenever animation isn't done in-house. The Studio B episodes have much better off-model designs and animation than the outsourced Top Draw episodes, in my opinion. The same goes for the expressions.

By the way, is there a little of the episodes done by Studio B and Top Draw anywhere? I could use that to back up my opinion.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
meltingparappa said:
Smile and a stray fluttershy will smile back at you
http://fillydelphia.tumblr.com/photo/1280/5751341169/1/tumblr_llmbvuKRgX1qbnz2o[IMG][/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/zoCDf.jpg

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I guessed he was referring to this image.

Y5uxx.jpg

Which implies a different type of love than Dash's expresison in his pic does.
Like this:

imMJV0.jpg

Seewhatimean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom