• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whogie

Rarity is much too low.

AdawgDaFAB said:
With this and the Dissidia ponies cast pic I posted a link to earlier, today is a good day for me being a pony and RPG fan, ^__^.
Musta' been a while ago, 'cause I can't find it. I wanna see.

tiff

Banned
KaotikMind said:
I wouldn't call this the same as any other show.
In what way is it different? In terms of quality I'm finding it enjoyable enough. At least as good as whatever GAF watched as a kid I'm sure.

Neki

KaotikMind said:
U mad?

As I said, I'm genuinely interested on how this became a phenomenon. If you have nothing but hateful things to say then please leave me to question the helpful gentlemen in this thread.

I don't know, is the show animated through flash? Cause it sure looks that way and it always bothered me for some reason. I love fosters but the flash animation never sat well with me. I feel like the PowerPuff Girls are still Craig McCracken's best work.

And I don't know with the Toy Story comparison, I guess I find My Little Pony's execution to be much lower than Toy Story's fine comedy.

If I substituted ponies with edgy punk characters, and then substituted the bright colour with dark grunge, would you still consider it a show aimed at girls? It seems like your only gripe with the show is that it features ponies and bright colours and you seem can't to understand why boys would like the show.

jogarrr

AdawgDaFAB said:
Am I the only Applejack fan here? She is my #2 fav of the main 6, after Fluttershy.
I like Applejack, she's just easy to make fun of :p

I'm sad that the last remaining AJ avatar seems to be gone now that Ark switched to Pinkazoid.
Edit: actually I think there is one more left (Dai101)

Ultimoo said:
If I substituted ponies with edgy punk characters, and then substituted the bright colour with dark grunge, would you still consider it a show aimed at girls? It seems like your only gripe with the show is that it features ponies and bright colours and you seem can't to understand why boys would like the show.

If it was the same exact show with only those as the only differences it would be a pretty terrible show.

Neki

KaotikMind said:
If it was the same exact show with only those as the only differences it would be a pretty terrible show.
But would you have a problem with boys/grown men watching the show then?

Chuck

Still without luck
Guys, I'm sure you've heard of the internet popular phrase, "Don't feed the troll."

You're losing at it right now.

Calpain

AdawgDaFAB said:
Am I the only Applejack fan here? She is my #2 fav of the main 6, after Fluttershy.
You're not alone, I really like Applejack. I pretty much like all the main cast equally though Twilight is my favorite.
#1 Twilight
#2 Rest of the main cast

Nishastra

Banned
I like them all equally. I stick with my Rarity avatar because there have never been many of them and she deserves more than she gets :p

I had a grand plan for a new Rarity avatar weeks ago, but I've not bothered to actually do it yet...

Neki

Calpain said:
You're not alone, I really like Applejack. I pretty much like all the main cast equally though Twilight is my favorite.
#1 Twilight
#2 Rest of the main cast

great taste, great poster right here. you could learn a thing or two from this poster Chuck.

Ultimoo said:
But would you have a problem with boys/grown men watching the show then?

Yes, cause it would be a show that makes no sense at all, why would punk characters be lighthearted and happy with grunge music one of the most angsty forms of music in the background? makes zero sense. And it would be awful if they made it to fit into that too. In the end, awful show.

Neki

KaotikMind said:
Yes, cause it would be a show that makes no sense at all, why would punk characters be lighthearted and happy with grunge music one of the most angsty forms of music in the background? makes zero sense. And it would be awful if they made it to fit into that too. In the end, awful show.
Well I meant grungy colours (probably not the right word, something like "realistic colours" in games, like GoW is what I meant). But you'd be angry that girls are watching it too then.

Foxix Von

God, this thread moves to fast for me to keep up.

I'd just like to report that I met a MLP fan in the wild today. She was a pinkie pie fan, said she had a hard time deciding between her and Dash. Needless to say we got along well haha!

Neki

Foxix said:

I'd just like to report that I met a MLP fan in the wild today. She was a pinkie pie fan, said she had a hard time deciding between her and Dash. Needless to say we got along well haha!

I really hope you steeded her in the right direction when it comes to the best character.

lol

Chuck

Still without luck
I'll come back later when there are less disgusting, contemptuous trolls in here and when you guys stop feeding it.

Ultimoo said:
Well I meant grungy colours (probably not the right word, something like "realistic colours" in games, like GoW is what I meant). But you'd be angry that girls are watching it too then.

If it were 8 year old boys or girls I'd be ok with it, they don't know any better. But adults it would be pretty weird.

Neki

ChuckNoLuck said:
I'll come back later when there are less disgusting, contemptuous trolls in here and when you guys stop feeding it.
People won't be enlightened if we don't attempt to reason with them. Calling everyone a troll who is doubtful of the show doesn't seem very tolerant, unless they're blatantly trolly like Jenga.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Calpain said:
#1 Twilight
#2 Rest of the main cast

This man knows what's up.

Foxix said:

Nice!

Out of curiosity, how did MLP come into the conversation?

Ultimoo said:
People won't be enlightened if we don't attempt to reason with them. Calling everyone a troll who is doubtful of the show doesn't seem very tolerant, unless they're blatantly trolly like Jenga.

Thank you sir, you're a gentleman and a scholar.

tiff

Banned
ChuckNoLuck said:
Guys, I'm sure you've heard of the internet popular phrase, "Don't feed the troll."

You're losing at it right now.
Sometimes I like to think that not everyone on the internet is disingenuous and nasty and that you can have a balanced discussion with them and can come out respecting both each other as people as well as each others' views :(

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
CHEEZMO™ said:
Dont tell him, Foxy!

We cant let him know!

Damnit Cheez!

I was so close to learning Foxix's secrets.

Ultimoo said:

Agreed, whatever happened to:

7IW2Fl.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
KaotikMind said:
Someone please try to explain why they watch and discuss little girl shows on the internet?

The fact that anything good can come out of a franchise as vapid as My Little Pony is incredibly amusing.

Sure, cartoons like Adventure Time and Regular Show are better, especially for adults, but they don't have the irony factor on their side.

Neki

KaotikMind said:
If you didn't like the first three episodes (the first two were just intro/sailor-moony) and the Ticket Master (decent episode for introducing the character's personalities), then I'd recommend Swarm of the Century as the final episode you should try. If you don't like that episode, I just don't think ponies are for you then. Either way, the fact that you've watched episodes before judging the show means you're okay in my book. Even if you don't enjoy the show. :p

Calpain said:
#1 Twilight
#2 Rest of the main cast

My Pony list is basically:
#1 Fluttershy
#2 Applejack
#3 Rest of the mane cast
#4 Cutie Mark Crusaders
#5 Rest of the cast

The only character I actually didn't like, throughout the whole show, was Gilda.

Of course, the fan base has made me like Derpy, DJ P0n-3 and Gummy a lot too, but more so for their fanon stuff than things in the show.

Foxix Von

Pankaks said:
This man knows what's up.

Nice!

Out of curiosity, how did MLP come into the conversation?

EDIT: Cheezmo, it's a different girl, and it wasn't using our little secret ;)

I bumped into a buddy of mine at the mall who in turn was heading to meet some friends of his. I have a lot of sort of introverted friends who, in turn also have introverted friends. So I struck up a conversation asking about something or another and that led to an explanation of how her and her friend had well... become friends. Turns out they met via some bad fanfic site, and being fluent in bad fanfiction that became the topic at hand which quickly led us to giving each other a quick run down of bad fanfics we've read and she mentioned one about ponies, and felt a need to confirm that yes in fact she liked MLP lol. During an odd pause as we were all figuring out where to go next I asked, "Okay, you totally mentioned you like MLP. Now I have to know who your favorite pony is!" and it sort of took off from there.

I think I sort of caught them off guard as I didn't mention anything prior to that haha.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ultimoo said:
If you didn't like the first three episodes (the first two were just intro/sailor-moony) and the Ticket Master (decent episode for introducing the character's personalities), then I'd recommend Swarm of the Century as the final episode you should try. If you don't like that episode, I just don't think ponies are for you then. Either way, the fact that you've watched episodes before judging the show means you're okay in my book. Even if you don't enjoy the show. :p

Swarm of the Century, Dragonshy, and Party of One are the best episodes thus far. If you haven't watched either one of these three, you should.

Neki

Party of One is an episode that you should watch when you actually enjoy the show though. If you vehemently dislike the show, you're just find it even worse.

Whogie

I introduced the show to my friend with Party of One. It went well.
Sonic Rainboom is pretty safe.

Narag said:
Not sure why but I really like Whogie's avatar.
:) Thanks. I like Nish's, myself.

Neki

Whogie said:
I introduced the show to my friend with Party of One. It went well.
Sonic Rainboom is pretty safe.

:) Thanks. I like Nish's, myself.

she must like craaaaaaaaaazy people, lawl.

Ultimoo said:

I'd definitely recommend more than just the first three for those reasons.
- 1 and 2 are completely different from the rest of the episodes.
- Ticket Master was the most, stereotypically "girly" episode of the whole series IMO. It was all just about jealous girls fighting over that one ticket to some super ball they all want to go to. Typical girls show cliche.

Either way, I respect that he didn't come in here just to simply bash / troll the show and actually gave it a try before tapping out. Just because we all love it, doesn't mean everyone will / has to. Let's not all turn into Rageshy.

Foxix Von

KaotikMind said:

I'd have to say for me it boils down to three essential things.
I find the show legitimately funny, which is a very rare thing for me to find in television shows. The voice cast nails everything thrown at them, and in later episodes as they grow into their roles a bit more it's easily apparent the kind of range they can achieve, with Rarity's whining in a dog and a pony show being a particular highlight of the series. That and the animation/expression is top notch. I find myself constantly chuckling here and there at the wonderful emotion the animators inject into the ponies' expressions. That and in a world seemingly dominated by robotic Family Guy styled animation, as someone who is in the middle of studying computer animation, it's refreshing to see a modern show that knows a thing or two about some godamned fluidity.

So much of the main appeal of the show I suppose would have to be the humor and personality/character interaction found within it. Considering how subjective humor is it's easy to understand why someone wouldn't "get it" or why someone could just as easily be obsessed with it.

Don't forget the soundtrack Foxix ;). I've spent so much time listening to the shows songs and remixes / mashup derivatives since the show ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom