• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
RomanticHeroX said:
I think I'm finally ready to make a pony list

1. Rainbow Dash
2. Scootaloo
3. Spitfire
4. Everyone else

All for the pegasus pony love, but....

Z4wWJm.png

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
RomanticHeroX said:
I think I'm finally ready to make a pony list

1. Rainbow Dash
2. Scootaloo
3. Spitfire
4. Everyone else

Aw hell no.

Scootaloo above Rarity and Fluttershy? Nay, I shall not stand for this injustice!

Neki

Dai101 said:
I' didn't know this was a thread about chickens
chickens and ponies, who would have thunk it. to be fair, I don't dislike scootaloo specifically, I just don't like CMC. I'm just a CMC hater I guess. ;)

OK may I ask you guys a question? What makes you guys think this show is more than a little kids show for girls?

I watched the first 3 episodes, I was curious as to why there was so much love for it from grown men. And honestly there's nothing wrong with the show, it is a show clearly aimed at prepubescent girls who wil buy toys of ponies to brush their hair and shit. Nothing about it shows any reason why anything but little girls would watch it. It seems like its entirely directed at them which is fine, that's the demographic they are going for and I understand that. But you guys obsessing over it is just baffling.

Someone please try to explain why they watch and discuss little girl shows on the internet?

jogarrr

ChuckNoLuck said:
What's your problem with Spitfire?
lNQwq.png
No problem with her, except Dash is already 20000% cooler than any of the wonderbolts. I think number 3 is too good for a character with 30 seconds of screentime. :p
2th said:
Scootaloo. Scoot scoot Scootaloo.
Season 2 thread title should be:
The My Little Pony Season 2 |OT3| Thread of Scootaloo being more awesome and adorable than Fluttershy

Zomba13

I don't think I've made a ranking list yet. Here is mine then:

1. Pinkie (duh)
2. Fluttershy
3. Rarity
4. Rainbow Dash
5. Twilight Sparkle
6. Apple Jack

(Rarity is just above Rainbow Dash because her whining voice is hilarious)

CMC list:
1. Sweetie Belle
2. Apple Bloom
100. Scootaloo

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
KaotikMind said:
OK may I ask you guys a question? What makes you guys think this show is more than a little kids show for girls?

I watched the first 3 episodes, I was curious as to why there was so much love for it from grown men. And honestly there's nothing wrong with the show, it is a show clearly aimed at prepubescent girls who wil buy toys of ponies to brush their hair and shit. Nothing about it shows any reason why anything but little girls would watch it. It seems like its entirely directed at them which is fine, that's the demographic they are going for and I understand that. But you guys obsessing over it is just baffling.

Someone please try to explain why they watch and discuss little girl shows on the internet?
Because it's good and we enjoy it.

tiff

Banned
KaotikMind said:
Same reason any other show aimed at children get discussed on GAF I guess.

Whogie

(Doesn't dislike Scootaloo)

CHEEZMO™ said:
Because it's good and we enjoy it.
Some of the songs and the subtle humor in the animation help too.

I was skimming ED when I saw this:

As an FFXI fan with a 90DRG, I had to post it.

Neki

KaotikMind said:

Someone please try to explain why they watch and discuss little girl shows

why am I watching cartoons, they're clearly aimed at little kids. why do you think this show is aimed at little girls again? because it has ponies and is colourful? lol.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
KaotikMind said:
I was looking for a more thorough answer.

The OP has a decent explanation:

If you care about animation, the main thing you should know is that this show may be considered the spiritual successor to "Powerpuff Girls" and "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends".

Everybody knows that MLP is geared at little girls, and the main objective of the animated shows has always been to advertise the line of toys, by shoving as many colorful ponies in saccharine situations down the viewer's throats as possible.

Enter Lauren Faust. Driven by her love of the franchise and by her dedication to her quest to create girl-oriented entertainment that can be enjoyed by everyone, she jumped at this opportunity to bring some credibility to the MLP animated franchise, something considered almost impossible due to decades of neglect by Hasbro.

Picking up cues from her experience on her previous shows, she endeavored to bring into MLP:FiM the following admirable features:

- A compact cast of easily identifiable, likeable characters, following certain archetypes but with surprisingly multi-layered personalities.
- A world with well-defined rules and mythology.
- Simple but well-written stories revolving around the theme of "friendship". This may seem somewhat limiting, but allows for relateable and realistic conflict between characters that can be resolved within the 22 minutes of each episode.
- Excellent voice acting for every. Single. Character.
- Extremely appealing character designs and surprisingly fluid and detailed flash animation, particularly for character expressions.
- Great comedy sense, with cartoon wackiness mixed in with surprising references to other shows and popular culture (nothing too obtrusive, don't worry).
- Morals that are transmitted in a way that doesn't feel like getting hit with a stick in the head, and that apply to adults as well as children.
- A lack of the cynicism that seems to infect most pop culture these days. This is a genuinely good-natured show, and a welcomed change of climate to those tired of the rudeness and nastiness that is pervasive in almost everything we see on TV.

All of these factors should be enough to persuade any reasonable animation fan who can overcome an hypothetical aversion to the color pink to give MLP:FiM a shot, and maybe come out surprised at liking a show aimed at young girls and featuring talking ponies.

Pandaman said:

Why?

Neki

oh god, your folder, why do you have those pictures saved? WHAT PURPOSE WOULD IT EVER SERVE TO HAVE THEM? lool.

Calpain

Pankaks said:
The OP has a decent explanation:
Another thing I would add is that it has a very well done musical score. The songs At the Gala and Art of the Dress are inspired by Broad Way musicals.
I still get Winter Wrap Up stuck in my head every so often and it has been weeks since I've seen the episode that song is in.

Neki

Calpain said:
Another thing I would add is that it has a very well done musical score. The songs At the Gala and Art of the Dress are inspired by Broad Way musicals.
I still get Winter Wrap Up stuck in my head every so often and it has been weeks since I've seen the episode that song is in.
OH THE GRAND GALLOPING GALA!

One of the reasons why I think nerds have latched onto the show especially is because there's an interesting mythology where just enough is revealed and just enough is hidden that filling in the blanks yourself is interesting. As an example from the episodes you watched, the castle Luna and Celestia used to live in, the one they storm in episode 2, is in the Everfree Forest. Why? Was the forest once tamed land? If it was, what happened to corrupt it? Does the forest's existence point to a time when the weather was completely outside Celestia and the rest of the ponies' control, and if so, how did they master it? Stuff like that's grist for the nerd speculation mill. and it points to a deliberate attention to detail I find refreshing.

Whatever else you can say about the show, I don't think anyone can doubt that it's really well-animated. The character designs are clean, simple, and evocative. And the faces are so expressive! There's a reason why there are so many image macros and why the series lends itself to parody trailers and music videos so well: the show's just got visual charisma as good as any animation you'll find.

The characters fit into well-worn grooves, but they wear their tropes in an uncliched manner. I'm a sucker for character-based humor like Azumanga Daioh tries, and MLP absolutely nails it.

Ultimoo said:
why am I watching cartoons, they're clearly aimed at little kids. why do you think this show is aimed at little girls again? because it has ponies and is colourful? lol.

I watch cartoons myself but they usually have good writing and are aimed at more than just kids, animation is also a factor. And I'm sorry to say I can't find any actual quality that draws men in for this show that are not of the dubious sort.

ChuckNoLuck said:

No actually, was just asking a question.

- A compact cast of easily identifiable, likeable characters, following certain archetypes but with surprisingly multi-layered personalities.
- A world with well-defined rules and mythology.
- Simple but well-written stories revolving around the theme of "friendship". This may seem somewhat limiting, but allows for relateable and realistic conflict between characters that can be resolved within the 22 minutes of each episode.
- Excellent voice acting for every. Single. Character.
- Extremely appealing character designs and surprisingly fluid and detailed flash animation, particularly for character expressions.
- Great comedy sense, with cartoon wackiness mixed in with surprising references to other shows and popular culture (nothing too obtrusive, don't worry).
- Morals that are transmitted in a way that doesn't feel like getting hit with a stick in the head, and that apply to adults as well as children.
- A lack of the cynicism that seems to infect most pop culture these days. This is a genuinely good-natured show, and a welcomed change of climate to those tired of the rudeness and nastiness that is pervasive in almost everything we see on TV.

1. Personal opinion it seems, when objectively they seem like any cliched character cast. And the writing seems more like cartoon writing.
2. This needs more explaining, I can enjoy a fictional worlds mythology but the one here didn't grab me.
3. Sound like 100 other cartoon shows, doesn't mean much.
4. Disagree here, generic cartoon voice acting neither above or below the norm.
5. Seriously!? Looks like any old pony drawings to me.
6. I don't see how you can find it funny if you aren't 8, just seems like low-grade unfunny comedy that is aimed at kids but doesn't really make em laugh.
7. So? It doesn't make it a must watch.
8. The world isn't a lovey dovey place, the best kid shows I grew up with had cynicism and optimism and taught me lessons through that. Relegating it to pure optimism is more like something you see in shows for 4 year olds.

Yep, don't get it.

Whogie said:
(Doesn't dislike Scootaloo)

Some of the songs and the subtle humor in the animation help too.

I was skimming ED when I saw this:

As an FFXI fan with a 90DRG, I had to post it.

With this and the Dissidia ponies cast pic I posted a link to earlier, today is a good day for me being a pony and RPG fan, ^__^.

Neki

If you think that the ponies look generic and the animation doesn't look great, then we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Also, the humor is about the ridiculousness of the situations and the characters, kinda like Toy Story. Toy Story is aimed at little kids, but adults seem to enjoy it, why? Honestly, I could break down any cartoon I dislike in the same way by ignoring it's merits.

Neki

ChuckNoLuck said:
Fluttershy first is a bit disappointing (can't say I disagree with it) but at least Pinkie Pie beat Rainbow Dash. All in the world is right! Also, Luna beating Applejack, LOL. Substitute Luna for Applejack ASAP please. :D Wait, she beat Rarity too? SOMETHING IS WRONG IN THE WORLD.

Pancakes

KaotikMind said:
Yep, don't get it.

Well, I'm sorry you feel that way.

I guess we're just gonna have to agree to disagree.

ChuckNoLuck said:
Ok everypony. No more humoring this arrogant fuck with replies to his bullshit.

U mad?

As I said, I'm genuinely interested on how this became a phenomenon. If you have nothing but hateful things to say then please leave me to question the helpful gentlemen in this thread.

Ultimoo said:
If you think that the ponies look generic and the animation doesn't look great, then we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Also, the humor is about the ridiculousness of the situations and the characters, kinda like Toy Story. Toy Story is aimed at little kids, but adults seem to enjoy it, why? Honestly, I could break down any cartoon I dislike in the same way by ignoring it's merits.

I don't know, is the show animated through flash? Cause it sure looks that way and it always bothered me for some reason. I love fosters but the flash animation never sat well with me. I feel like the PowerPuff Girls are still Craig McCracken's best work.

And I don't know with the Toy Story comparison, I guess I find My Little Pony's execution to be much lower than Toy Story's fine comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom