• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxix Von

AdawgDaFAB said:
Don't forget the soundtrack Foxix ;). I've spent so much time listening to the shows songs and remixes / mashup derivatives since the show ended.

I suppose the nerd factor also plays a big role in it for me. I mean... they sort of hint at things but never really go into detail so the community has so much room to just fill in the blanks. I think the GeekNights podcast summarized it best as "Gandalf Girthing." The way you can just argue back and forth about meaningless things within the series, like what kind of political structure they have, how exactly clouds work with the series and whatnot all goes sort of a long way in extending my interest in the series and sort of keeping it present in my mind.

That and it's fucking cute as all hell.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Shit. I can't download Youtube videos anymore without firefox crashing, putting my .gif production at a virtual standstill. All the Youtube video downloader sites/plugins I've found either give me an error or crash my browser.

Neki

ahoyhoy said:
Shit. I can't download Youtube videos anymore without firefox crashing, putting my .gif production at a virtual standstill. All the Youtube video downloader sites/plugins I've found either give me an error or crash my browser.
Use Opera/Safari/Chrome? :O

I don't want to derail the current topic, because it's actually getting some good posts now and I always like reading what are other's favorite aspects of the show. I simply wanted to share this picture I found before heading to sleep. It fits in with the MLP FiM fan made fighting game that was being discussed earlier today. I found it before but had issues with imgur in uploading it initially for whatever reason:

ahoyhoy said:

Have you tried using something like JDownloader to download the youtube vids that way?

Sorry for going nuts on the fanart posts guys, but I can't help myself.

tumblr_lm55ghVh3g1qj4uijo1_500.jpg

Darte

I've been reading this thread for the past few days...

Gotta say its been tough trying to find something to post about in between all the weird posts D;

Neki

Darte said:
I've been reading this thread for the past few days...

Gotta say its been tough trying to find something to post about in between all the weird posts D;

Post some good fan-art or something worthy to discuss, like how Twilight Sparkle is the most powerful pony in all of Equestria.

Calpain

Comic for you guys and then I think I'm out of the thread for the night. Got to get up earlier than usual tomorrow for some dissection/slide work and then spending three hours with the laser confocal microscope in the afternoon.
Hope you enjoy! I thought it was kind of clever.

2th

Banned
ahoyhoy said:
Single-handedly justifies playing through Bioshock 2 for me.

i think you mean bioshock 1. since 2 was trash in compariosn to 1 in terms of story. gameplay wise it was nothing new really. 1 > 2. Like Pinkie Pie > All!

Articalys

Well, while you're still in the mood to talk to outsiders, I've been trying to figure out how this became the western equivalent of Touhou in terms of the sheer amount of fan-created content. Using the KnowYourMeme page as a reference (even though it's not really a meme, but whatever), there seems to be no less than three or four imageboards, two blogs dedicated to reposting videos and other fanworks, multiple other sub-memes, a dedicated message board, and a wiki. On KYM alone the stats for content and popularity blow everything else away. (Actually, I think this sheer intensity of the fanbase could be what drives some people away, but that's a different topic.)
So... what happened? Popularity for smarter writing and animation is one thing, but insane levels of support and devotion is quite another. Anyone have an idea?

tiff

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Buy me a 360 first and we'll talk.
play it on PC

Articalys said:
Well, while you're still in the mood to talk to outsiders, I've been trying to figure out how this became the western equivalent of Touhou in terms of the sheer amount of fan-created content. Using the KnowYourMeme page as a reference (even though it's not really a meme, but whatever), there seems to be no less than three or four imageboards, two blogs dedicated to reposting videos and other fanworks, multiple other sub-memes, a dedicated message board, and a wiki. On KYM alone the stats for content and popularity blow everything else away. (Actually, I think this sheer intensity of the fanbase could be what drives some people away, but that's a different topic.)
So... what happened? Popularity for smarter writing and animation is one thing, but insane levels of support and devotion is quite another. Anyone have an idea?
I think the novelty of a show based on the My Little Pony franchise actually being enjoyable plays a pretty big factor.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Regulus Tera said:
Buy me a PS3 then!Dude, here's the thing about FPS. I hate FPS.

If you're shooting any guns in Bioshock, you're doing it wrong.

Wrench+Freeze all the way.

Nishastra

Banned
Articalys said:
My question for you would be: How did Touhou become Touhou?

It's a series of bullet hell shooters with pretty great music and a whole lot of poorly-drawn (when ZUN is drawing them himself :p) characters. Why did it become so enormous? Aside from the music, most of the fan stuff was practically created from nothing, as the games are hardly plot-heavy and some characters are just bosses whose bullet shapes were originally their main defining feature :p

I can't really answer the question of why Friendship is Magic caught on so well. For some it is pretty much a meme, they just think it's funny to have all this My Little Pony stuff. Obviously that doesn't really hold for the big fansites and imageboards, and all the artwork, videos, and music being made, though...

I can only speak on why I like it personally. It's bright and colorful, and straightforwardly happy. People looking at the fanbase from the outside tend to assume that it has to be subversive in some way like most kids cartoons that are popular among adults, but that's not it either. It's just... kind of refreshing, I guess? It's fun and silly and yet doesn't treat the audience like idiots.

Articalys

Hmm... I guess the best possible logic really is no logic, then. Just some indiscernible combination of factors.
Ah well. Carry on then.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
dream said:
So I gather I missed a bronyfight about having sex with ponies.

Nah, you just missed Panda being Panda.

dream

tiff, you're the only person I trust in this thread other than Amir0x. Was there talk of ponyfucking earlier?

I only played through Bioshock 1 once. I wish it had some sort of new game+ on the pc, I felt like I really would've like to mess around with the whole assortment of gear without going through the story, although the story was fantastic.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Kulock said:
(Hopefully I'm not too late on this...)

So you've probably seen the other "DJ" versions of the cast, but there's a new one up.

Are you ready... for DJ D3RP?

If you get bored of the song, skip to the 3 minute mark.

This is the best thing ever.

2th

Banned
Ok PonyGAF time to help a brony out. I need a new lock screen image for my Samsung Focus. Looking for something dark or mostly black, preferably containing Rainbow Dash. Give me some good suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom