• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
FoxSpirit said:
Wow, is there a bigger version of that?

I know there is, and that there are a few other pictures of other members of the main cast in the same style, but I don't know where to find them. Try requesting on ponychan, maybe?

Nishastra

Banned
Amibguous Cad said:
I know there is, and that there are a few other pictures of other members of the main cast in the same style, but I don't know where to find them. Try requesting on ponychan, maybe?
qSBdf.png

I found this one, but yeah, there's a ton of these and I can't find the others right now :p

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Articalys said:
Damn, Myke, that was amazing. Thanks a bunch, not just for the response but also for taking it so seriously, and yes, I did actually read all of it.
I'll admit, even with no interest in the show I had an interest in the fanbase (probably remnants of some college sociology class or something), so I kept the occasional eye on this thread even after it got bumped out of OT, just to see what kind of shenanigans would persist in your "off-season." Honestly I'm still surprised people are clamoring for more of the show, and despite Faust's claims that she initially made the show for everyone, I believe it was originally aimed at the tween market, with lots of peripheral humor to keep parents interested, but just got really lucky when 4chan found it and brought it to the internet's attention. Has there even been any news on how successful it was with the intended demographic, or did the internet response completely overwhelm the original purpose?
Anyway, I'm sorry to say the pony barrier is too high for me to be a fan but I guess it's good you all enjoy the show and found your happy place... or something... whatever.
Just try not to use this stuff purely for the sake of riling people up outside of pony topics when you return to OT for the second season or whatnot and we should all be good.
I also fancy myself an armchair sociologist, and I only regret that my long-form english isn't good enough to allow me to write a larger essay about this phenomenon, as I think there is so much to it coming from every part involved. I hope I could help you understand it a little better, and that I conveyed my opinion adequately.

The spark that started the fire was indeed the result of a perfect storm of circumstances, but I think I would have still enjoyed the show had it been brought to my attention through other means, as I am a sucker for a certain strain of cuteness, and that particular kind of cuteness is certainly something that abounds in MLP:FiM.

I can't speak for everyone here, but it would never pass through my mind to purposefully use this to irritate people in an inadequate context, even though I can identify some people for whom this would be no problem.

In other news, I finished vectorizing Foxix's pony... color to come tomorrow. I am sorry for the delay.

Nishastra

Banned
There was no way it could live up to the last one.

There was no way they would LET it live up to the last one, as it was so great because of how pathetic and awkward it was :p

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Myke Greywolf said:
I also fancy myself an armchair sociologist, and I only regret that my long-form english isn't good enough to allow me to write a larger essay about this phenomenon, as I think there is so much to it coming from every part involved. I hope I could help you understand it a little better, and that I conveyed my opinion adequately.

The spark that started the fire was indeed the result of a perfect storm of circumstances, but I think I would have still enjoyed the show had it been brought to my attention through other means, as I am a sucker for a certain strain of cuteness, and that particular kind of cuteness is certainly something that abounds in MLP:FiM.

I can't speak for everyone here, but it would never pass through my mind to purposefully use this to irritate people in an inadequate context, even though I can identify some people for whom this would be no problem.

In other news, I finished vectorizing Foxix's pony... color to come tomorrow. I am sorry for the delay.
Well put. The majority of this thread seems to fall into the demographic you described; watching the show primarily for it's unique "cute" style and animation that provides us all a certain degree of entertainment. The show creates an atmosphere not common to most shows adults watch, which is indeed the primary source of the confusion in most outside observers. And yet, there does not seem a prevailing attitude of superiority or insular behavior amongst the regulars of this thread, despite all this. For that I am grateful.

This is a quick executive summary of last year's Konami conference from the gaf bingo thread, if anyone here somehow hasn't jumped on the e3 hype train for whatever reason:

oXZ3f.png

...was there a final word on whether or not community will be closed down next week? If OT goes I'd assume Community would probably go with it.

ahoyhoy said:
Well put. The majority of this thread seems to fall into the demographic you described; watching the show primarily for it's unique "cute" style and animation that provides us all a certain degree of entertainment. The show creates an atmosphere not common to most shows adults watch, which is indeed the primary source of the confusion in most outside observers. And yet, there does not seem a prevailing attitude of superiority or insular behavior amongst the regulars of this thread, despite all this. For that I am grateful.
I don't want to get too self-congratulatory, but good job everyone (especially YOU, Myke) on presenting clear viewpoints in a dignified manner to curious people who wander into the thread.

I know the kneejerk reaction is to yell "troll" and treat a new post as an act of veiled hostility, but the thing that will keep this thread from exploding under its own weight is knowing that people will visit with in with varying levels of genuine confusion and that it's possible to amicably disagree in a mutually respectful manner.

Calpain

meltingparappa said:
I don't want to get too self-congratulatory, but good job everyone (especially YOU, Myke) on presenting clear viewpoints in a dignified manner to curious people who wander into the thread.

I know the kneejerk reaction is to yell "troll" and treat a new post as an act of veiled hostility, but the thing that will keep this thread from exploding under its own weight is knowing that people will visit with in with varying levels of genuine confusion and that it's possible to amicably disagree in a mutually respectful manner.

That's one of the things I like about the fandom. For the most part they are really open to newcomers and are willing to answer any questions they have in a generally friendly manner.

UberTag

meltingparappa said:
...was there a final word on whether or not community will be closed down next week? If OT goes I'd assume Community would probably go with it.
(In the expected event of Community forum closure...)

"Gee, PonyGAF it's an awful shame that the Community forum is closing for E3. We'll have to discuss gaming announcements and talk about all of the new and exciting Project Cafe / PSVITA news and take a break from ponies for a while."

"On a completely unrelated matter, does anyone want to create an |OT| or LTTP thread for one of the following overlooked gaming classics in the Gaming discussion forum?"

"Perhaps new pony games will be announced at E3 and we will thus have an existing thread with which to speculate on how great gaming technologies of today like Kinect could be used to make MLP games more entertaining."

<cough>

61R3TYPFX1L.jpg
511Ez0CJGgL.jpg

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ultimoo said:
Dr Forester making me proud in the E3 GIF thread. :p

Indeed, keep up the good work Forester.

You're making us proud :).

UberTag

Pankaks said:
Indeed, keep up the good work Forester.

You're making us proud :).
Forester has set the bar so high for quality E3 gifs already I'm not sure anyone will manage to surpass him. I do hope some folks will try, though.

I'm watching the Hideo Kojima part of the Konami conference in the Giant Bomb live show. It was a good mix of hilarity and interesting reveals.

Also, new avatar based on the great wallpapers posted. Gotta show some AJ love.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
UberTag said:
Forester has set the bar so high for quality E3 gifs already I'm not sure anyone will manage to surpass him. I do hope some folks will try, though.

Never underestimate gaming side.

A hero will rise to the occasion.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
UberTag said:

I've been honing my skills for this day. Only problem being that I might not have enough free time to 'shop some out in a timely manner.

I might churn out some E3 prediction .gifs, but I doubt they'll reach such lofty standards.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Ultimoo said:
Dr Forester making me proud in the E3 GIF thread. :p
The response from the thread is... unexpected. DrForester you and ahoyhoy are creating some great gifs! So have the mods have reconsidered their immediate banhammer threat? As long as it follows the same trend as the other on topic reaction gifs that are posted and isn't spammed into oblivion?

2th

Banned
This thread makes me wish i had an MLP shirt. That way i could make sure to spread the gospel of the ponies at E3 this year to all the unwashed journalists that will be there. :p

Pancakes

RiccochetJ said:
The response from the thread is... unexpected. DrForester you and ahoyhoy are creating some great gifs! So have the mods have reconsidered their immediate banhammer threat? As long as it follows the same trend as the other on topic reaction gifs that are posted and isn't spammed into oblivion?

IIRC, that was only one mod making the threat and I think it was only relevant to that god forsaken PSN thread.

BTW Forester's gif has made to the front page of Reddit gaming, congrats man!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
RiccochetJ said:

I can do .gifs but not photoshops, but if I could I'd make a "Keep Calm and Post Appropriately" pony picture.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Pankaks said:
IIRC, that was only one mod making the threat and I think it was only relevant to that god forsaken PSN thread.

BTW Forester's gif has made to the front page of Reddit gaming, congrats man!
It was Y2Kev and he said that any pony related stuff outside this thread would be outright ban material. Then Kagari and Amir0x chimed in as well. Well Kagari appeared outright hostile and Amir0x was... well I don't know if Amir0x was giving us a wink or not.

Congrats on the Reddit front page DrForester!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm totally not reading this thread at work.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think it's obvious by now that the mods don't mid so long as it's not spammed or done to derail. Kagari was the first one to comment on the MyLittleE3.gif ,and it's even gotten come compliments from others.

Again guys. Post appropriately, don't spam. Remember the wise words of Wil Wheaton.

wWYmg.png

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
DrForester said:
I think it's obvious by now that the mods don't mid so long as it's not spammed or done to derail. Kagari was the first one to comment on the MyLittleE3.gif ,and it's even gotten come compliments from others.
Really? I'm trying to search for Kagari in reference but I'm coming up with nada. Anyone happen to have a link? Sometimes my search words are way off :(

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Regulus Tera said:
I'm so disenchanted with everything shown so far (3DS, Café, the HD console games, NGP) that this E3 is the first one I'm not excited for.
I'm excited for Dark Souls. Hopefully they'll show it at E3 and that it will get some decent and fair coverage.

Uchip said:
mega64 was the only good part of the show

I'm not sure what was funnier, mega64's skit, or the fact that the serious part of the Hideo presentation felt just as serious. When Hideo was like "Oh, you saw this engine that I've had on this screen this whole time? I am shock!" I was literally rolling.

Darte

Feeling

1955%20-%20animated%20rainbow_dash.gif

right now D;

My senior presentation before I graduate is tomorrow and nervous as heck. Someone post cute things to calm me down D;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom