• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian577

Banned
I've been having some problems with Equestria Daily. I've sent them two PMVs over the last week and neither have been posted. ThreeSix's Philly to the Future is already up less than 24 hours later, I'm starting to think my E-mails are not getting through. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

mash440

Neo Member
Bufbaf said:

oh god all the time i dont even

I think you need to swap round Applejack and Rarity, or put Applejack where Rarity is and have Rarity at the very top. She can't get her hooves dirty!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
My wife's Great and Powerful Trixie plushie is finally complete!

s0d8z.jpg

VTH7Z.jpg

This was a handful for both of us, but I think the result is pretty awesome. Buying fabrics and wigs through the Internet is always a risk, because you never know if the color you're going to get is exactly the one you thought you saw in the item description. :p

Myke Greywolf said:

MWeNg.jpg

J30OT.jpg

This was a handful for both of us, but I think the result is pretty awesome. Buying fabrics and wigs through the Internet is always a risk, because you never know if the color you're going to get is exactly the one you thought you saw in the item description. :p

Excellent!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Myke Greywolf said:

s0d8z.jpg

VTH7Z.jpg

Wow, looks fantastic.

Side note, am I the only one that thinks Trixie looks weird without her hat on? (not the plushie the character design in general)

Holy crap, that Trixie is Great! (and Powerful) I'm watching in awe already!

That abridged was pretty good. I was skeptical about how an abridged thing would work on stuff that isn't already terrible, but that was quality.

Ookami-kun said:
She's a midget Rainbow Dash carbon copy. At least the other two have a chance to be different.

Oh I get it - Scootaloo's cutie mark should be a photocopier, because that's what she is - an inferior copy of a self-insert!
MEGA BURN!

I was thinking a bit about the CMC, and I feel like they're shoehorning those characters into distinct roles. The mane cast have their special talents, but they aren't limited to just those things. Examples include Fluttershy's sewing skills, RD and PP's propensity to prank and Twilight's ability to place in her first race. Unlike the CMC, you wouldn't immediately expect them to fail at anything that isn't related to their mark.

There's also a fair bit of contradiction in their episodes. They work together to build a table, and it fails, even though Apple Bloom is shown to be great at craftsmanship. Sweetie belle is terrible at making costumes, but she makes amazing CMC cloaks. Scootaloo doesn't even understand what makes a cutie mark in her last episode, when she sings about it in her previous appearance. It can all be explained away, but it still feels super inconsistent.

It's like they put a poorly written thing inside of their well written cartoon.

In other news, I tried out layer masks on this Megasweet Twilight image, to change all the line work. I love his/her stuff but I think it looks better with coloured lineart.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Amazing work Myke! You should submit that to Equestria Daily.

DrForester said:
Side note, am I the only one that thinks Trixie looks weird without her hat on? (not the plushie the character design in general)

It's not just you.

She doesn't seem very great and powerful without her hat/cape.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Last update for today after ~10 hours of work, my head is killing me right now :)

QY3SC.png

I'm so jealous of people who draw this stuff in mere seconds ^^

After Edward, I wondered how Alphonse might look like.
It scares me.
FkFej.jpg

I tried Roy. I guess he'll clop at the ground to create sparks with his ignition horse shoes or something.
hmeaw.jpg

The clopping thing just occurred to me. I'll have to scrap a bit.
L9ieT.gif

Nishastra

Banned
Wolf Akela said:
After Edward, I wondered how Alphonse might look like.
It scares me.
FkFejm.jpg
My word. The massive jaw does make him kinda freaky.

I dunno what a good way would be to give him the protruding chin when ponies don't even really have chins normally :p

McNum

Myke Greywolf said:
Wow, well done! If I didn't know better, I would have guessed it had been an official Trixie plushie. Great work!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Captain Fish said:
In other news, I tried out layer masks on this Megasweet Twilight image, to change all the line work. I love his/her stuff but I think it looks better with coloured lineart.
Almost everything in this show works so well with colored outlines, to such a point that I have a little hard time accepting black outline art. You did a good thing.

Thanks. I did it before with a couple of his images (Pinkie Pie Shrug and Pokemon Twilight). With those I did an awkward combination of pen tool and colour selection.

This time I used this Layer Mask guide I found on ponychan, and it was a lot easier. Colours>Threshold in GIMP was perfect for pulling out the line art. When I was done with the line colours, I just inverted the mask and made a new layer for the fills. It worked like a charm. I know next to nothing about GIMP/photoshop, so all this image stuff has been a new to me.

2th

Banned
Uchip said:
im sorry but those are the worst characters in the show by far

NEVER!!! Also where is everyone on tinychat today? Just joined and it is just me and evillore... has he joined the herd?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Uchip said:
im sorry but those are the worst characters in the show by far
The CMC are cute but I can understand why people are annoyed by them.

burningranger said:
Some pretty awesome stuff on the artists front. Good work guys!
Cutie Mark Crusader crusaders! :D

I should get Lionheart: King's Crusade installed.

Neki

I'd be fine with CMC if we got more episodes/they were longer. Character development to terrible side characters is not something I wish for, unless it's Luna or Trixie. Like how underdeveloped is Applejack?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Ultimoo said:
I'd be fine with CMC if we got more episodes/they were longer. Character development to terrible side characters is not something I wish for, unless it's Luna or Trixie. Like how underdeveloped is Applejack?
/shrug

I just think they're endearing because they're annoying just like real kids are.

2th

Banned
Thnikkaman said:
/shrug

I just think they're endearing because they're annoying just like real kids are.

this except they arent so much annoying as just somewhat bothersome. Though i really do like Scootaloo. Oh and the singing voice of Sweetie Belle...

and who really wants Trixie development? Luna would be awesome. Especially filly Luna and Celestia. But not Trixie. That is like asking for more screen time for Snips and Snails... yeah dont want.

Neki

2th said:
this except they arent so much annoying as just somewhat bothersome. Though i really do like Scootaloo. Oh and the singing voice of Sweetie Belle...

and who really wants Trixie development? Luna would be awesome. Especially filly Luna and Celestia. But not Trixie. That is like asking for more screen time for Snips and Snails... yeah dont want.

Trixie over CMC any day. At least Trixie might have some sort of actual character they can develop, unlike the CMC.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Pandaman said:

That is the cutest Rainbow Dash I have ever seen >_< Source for the original?

@Myke: that's amazing

@Bufbaf: Looks great so far... but I have one concern. Belle's right shoulder/arm length... I see what you're trying to do, but I swear it seems a bit odd. Is it just me?

Uchip

Banned
Thnikkaman said:
The CMC are cute but I can understand why people are annoyed by them.

Cutie Mark Crusader crusaders! :D

I should get Lionheart: King's Crusade installed.

lol
what is that some kind of dog lady?

You'd be surprised how many games and such a GAFer has made/help make.

Still, the animation on that game is brilliant. I'd never have the patience to draw all those frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom