• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

daffy

Banned
siddx said:
Your posts make it clear you very much need advice but since you asked so nicely I'll just leave and let you continue to throw shit at everyone without a pony avatar.
Thank you very much :)

Snaku

Banned
ivedoneyourmom said:
To be fair Lauren apologized on her DA account, the wording of the moral got messed up at the end - the message was supposed to be "Have faith in your friends even when you don't always understand their actions" not "Blindly disregard science because there are some answers that will never be explained".

The episode bothers me a bit because of the ending, but I can see how the message, due to that poorly done ending was overanalyzed by critical adult minds.

Should be fixed for the DVD/Blu release (if there ever is one).

ivedoneyourmom said:
To be fair Lauren apologized on her DA account, the wording of the moral got messed up at the end - the message was supposed to be "Have faith in your friends even when you don't always understand their actions" not "Blindly disregard science because there are some answers that will never be explained".

The episode bothers me a bit because of the ending, but I can see how the message, due to that poorly done ending was overanalyzed by critical adult minds.

So disappointing because with just a few tweaks it could have easily been, "don't be a dick about skepticism," or even, "it's not scientific to let biases overwrite what you're seeing with your own eyes."

I don't think the distinction between those two points are limited to overanaylzing adult minds. The kind of morals we put into these kind of media really do affect the way kids and the adults they become influence the world.

KtSlime

Snaku said:
Should be fixed from the DVD/Blu release (if there ever is one).

Agreed: And as I said in my edit on the other page, it is full of slapstick humor, Pinkie Pie, and a damned Hydra, so other than the poorly communicated message at the end it is pretty funny.

Ambiguous Cad: Yeah, I had really high expectations for the episode, Scientist Twilight was awesome.

Hopefully Lauren will make another sciency episode where Twilights deductions result in the resolution of the episodes problem.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: Ah, who cares. I won't hate. We'll survive this :)

I think if you guys made it more clear that you only like the show in an ironic-hipster sense and not in a creepy-furry/pedo sense you'd probably get a lot less trolls.

wsippel

Banned
So, this is done by someone who used to write and direct some episodes of Powerpuff Girls, yes? Powerpuff Girls is awesome - how similar is this show?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
wsippel said:
So, this is done by someone who used to write and direct some episodes of Powerpuff Girls, yes? Powerpuff Girls is awesome - how similar is this show?

Not very. It's more like if Winnie the Pooh had more slapstick and was marketed towards little girls.

geeko

This show premiered on October 2010, and is helmed by Lauren Faust, creator of "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends", animator for "The Iron Giant", writer for "Powerpuff Girls", and wife of PPG's creator Craig McCracken.

This is the reason I started watching episodes.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
BuddhaRockstar said:
I think if you guys made it more clear that you only like the show in an ironic-hipster sense and not in a creepy-furry/pedo sense you'd probably get a lot less trolls.

Yeah, it's neither of those. Did anyone actually read this thread?

wsippel: Just give it a try, sometimes the humor is kinda similar, but in general it's a totally different direction (which is not less funny).

KtSlime

BuddhaRockstar said:

That would be lying. There is genuine value in this show, not limed to its ironic value to make image macros, memes, and pony puns.

wsippel: There are a lot of similarities, however the pop culture references are more subdued in MiF than PPG.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
lexi said:
Thanks EvilLore for the thread title, btw.

No prob.

Look, this thread was 100% derailed already, for 5+ pages, because of one person, with no end in sight, and was becoming unsightly with suggestive fanart and "waifu" talk. And the people here were showing their nature as extremely defensive and hostile towards people not part of the clique. I'm not fond of that sort of insular subcommunity existing on either the gaming forum or the OT forum.

The choice was either locking the thread or putting the spotlight on until the people here could coexist peacefully, stay on track on their own without babysitting, and not cross the line with bestiality/sexualization/creepdom better suited for 4chan.

Pony-GAF is failing spectacularly so far. Hostility -- towards the moderation team or towards the rest of GAF -- is not going to protect this thread, it's going to destroy it.

EviLore said:
No prob.

Look, this thread was 100% derailed already, for 5+ pages, because of one person, with no end in sight, and was becoming unsightly with suggestive fanart and "waifu" talk. And the people here were showing their nature as extremely defensive and hostile towards people not part of the clique. I'm not fond of that sort of insular subcommunity existing on either the gaming forum or the OT forum.

The choice was either locking the thread or putting the spotlight on until the people here could coexist peacefully, stay on track on their own without babysitting, and not cross the line with bestiality/sexualization/creepdom better suited for 4chan.

Pony-GAF is failing spectacularly so far. Hostility -- towards the moderation team or towards the rest of GAF -- is not going to protect this thread, it's going to destroy it.
so you won't answer my well-groomed missive

geeko

hatersgonhatePAPPX.gif

I hope it stays open, we need a place to discuss this show. things seemed to have calmed down already.

lexi

Banned
So the trolls are just instruments to teach Pony-GAF tolerance and understanding. Brilliant, straight out of the show itself.

daffy

Banned
I was never hostile towards anyone if they actually showed genuine interest in the show and wanted to actually sit down and watch it. Maybe I'm wrong but if you introduce yourself to a group by picking on them first, isn't that attacking them? Shouldn't you defend against that, especially when all we're doing is watching episodes and talking about them?

If I did something wrong I'd really like to know, I only defended when I felt like the person attacking was just doing it to make us mad, ie trolling.

Snaku

Banned
EviLore said:
No prob.

I don't see how painting a giant target on a gay pride parade for Westboro Baptist Church would help maintain the message of gay pride. I'm not a fan of the show, but I don't see how this is any better than just cracking the whip in a single post to set the few weirdos straight.

I don't see I guess. :lol

Jintor

EviLore said:
No prob.

Wait, where was the option for a mod to step in and say 'no goddamn waifu talk or suggestive fanart'?

Juanadams

Banned
I gotta say all this drama intrigued me, I just watched the first episode and I've gotta say its pretty awesome.

Also I'm not to happy with how the moderation is handling this thread, I expected better from neogaf.

Feels like I left my home for the day to work, only to come back to find out it's been turned into a courtroom session.

Welp.

EDIT: Also poor taste in title change. Makes sense why I had a hard time looking for it.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
EviLore said:
And the people here were showing their nature as extremely defensive and hostile towards people not part of the clique.

Wait, this is not how I remember it - I could have sworn there was a LOT of unreasonable hate not only against a well-made show, but mainly about the GAFfers watching it, going from "lol u gay" to "goddamn furries", and about 90% of all PonyGAF said "Well, how about you first watch at least one episode of the show, and if you don't like it, it's okay", followed by immediate "omg no why should I lolz ponies".

I can't just imagine things here.

edit: Oh, alright, lets just repost the two things all over again until the thread gets locked. Damnit, GAF, what happened to you when you were kids :(

I dunno, I disagree with EviLore. The residents of this thread were actually pretty quick to jump on Pandaman and distance themselves from that sort of fandom. Pandaman even apologized for it. Jenga was the only consistent troll, and he was consistently ignored. All other new comers either stated "Hey, not my cup of tea" or "Surprisingly good."

I thought the thread was self-moderated pretty well until the thread title changed, and there was an explosion of trolls. GAF is inhabited and moderated by lots of intelligent and mature individuals, with healthy tolerances for different tastes. This is a sad instance where moderation has failed spectacularly because no mod is particularly vested in this thread. The Gaming side was very, very tightly moderated for a while, and the OT was as well until moderators started leaving.

Perhaps this is an issue of manpower and counter-balancing forces. Amirox made it known he wasn't exactly a fan of this thread, and EviLore isn't either apparently.

What a shame. I enjoyed this thread for the silly macros and plain absurdity. It was funny, it was innocent, it was a stress reliever. No fights. Then Pandaman posted that... weirdness, and everyone was quick to denounce it. After that, it just became hate filled.

What a shame. And I'm not even a fan of the show itself.

KtSlime

What's done is done, let's move on with our new title, forgive people for our past posts, and talk about some ponies.

Is there a summary for next weeks episode yet?

overcast

Damn, what an epic thread. Glorious. Meltdowns here are awesome.

Pony-gaf, you guys remain the way you are. I'm not a fan of this show after watching the first episode. But I do realize it's a kids show, I watch plenty cartoons. Have fun with this one.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
ivedoneyourmom said:
What's done is done, let's move on with our new title, forgive people for our past posts, and talk about some ponies.

Is there a summary for next weeks episode yet?
Why, yes, there is!

20 "Green Isn't Your Color"
When Rarity gets to meet a famous fashion designer, she realizes that this is her chance to promote the dresses that she's been designing, but her idea backfires when the designer is more interested in Fluttershy, whom Rarity chose to model her dresses.

daffy

Banned
PheonixDark I believe that quote is rather old, in fact I think he edited that stuff out if I'm not mistaken. That's akin to coming onto a WWII battlefield in 2012 and yelling, "What's going on heeeree!!"

Anyway, I guess I can assume I won't get a mod response to that post I made earlier, so I'll just go back to watching MLP episodes so I can catch up before the latest ep is uploaded this Friday :)

If you have a genuine interest in MLP, then of course you can discuss here. I think coming in here and calling us wierdos and manchildren is a step too far however.

Jintor

It feels like we've had quite a few Rarity episodes lately, but I guess this is more of Fluttershy/Rarity sharing the spotlight.

samoset

I'm really looking forward to next week's episode. For as much as people like fluttershy she doesn't get anywhere as much screen time as the other ponies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
More Rarity is always a good thing. Never been a fan of the preppy show-off girl, but they somehow managed to make her not annoying.

EviLore said:
No prob.

Eh, I don't agree with your method, but I see where you're coming from. People took that one piece of art WAY too seriously and it needlessly degenerated from there. I just found the outright hate mongering that folowed rather upsetting. I did find the bunch of newcomers mistaking this for the other thread rather hilarious.

EDIT: Yeah things have cooled down, let's just get back OT

KtSlime

Bufbaf said:
Why, yes, there is!

20 "Green Isn't Your Color"
When Rarity gets to meet a famous fashion designer, she realizes that this is her chance to promote the dresses that she's been designing, but her idea backfires when the designer is more interested in Fluttershy, whom Rarity chose to model her dresses.

Haha, I like that Rarity continually affirms to anyone that will listen that she does not like the color green.

Can't wait, Rarity episodes are always Celestia tier in quality, and I have to admit, there hasn't been a whole lot of Fluttershy/Rarity interaction.

Looks like we are in for a good episode. *voice of Fluttershy yay*

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
EviLore said:
No prob.

my two cents:

i scanned the thread and maybe im missing some key pages, but im not sure that there was an insular atmosphere in the thread. because of the subject matter it attracted a feeew very devoted multi-page trolls that were attacked by thread regulars and this may have lead to giving that impression

the panda pic thing might not have run out of steam for a while but i feel the title change would have only exacerbated that problem

im not sure a thread title change is the best way to address the problems you brought up. you have to admit that to anyone who didn't see the thread the way you did it could come off as an attack on fans of the show for simply being fans of the show. just this post might have been a better course of action.

/hopefully constructive criticism

FTH said:
PheonixDark I believe that quote is rather old, in fact I think he edited that stuff out if I'm not mistaken. That's akin to coming onto a WWII battlefield in 2012 and yelling, "What's going on heeeree!!"

Anyway, I guess I can assume I won't get a mod response to that post I made earlier, so I'll just go back to watching MLP episodes so I can catch up before the latest ep is uploaded this Friday :)

If you have a genuine interest in MLP, then of course you can discuss here. I think coming in here and calling us wierdos and manchildren is a step too far however.

Took it down

Not going to hate on you guys - I watched Sailor Moon as a kid. But I can't help but laugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom