• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I still need to watch the other episodes. The thing is, while I think the show is good for what it is, I'm just not fan enough to wait impatiently for the next episode or watch every episode available in one go.

I like it enough to get that avatar, though. Party hard, Pony-GAF!

Jintor

I just had a quick glance through the breast thread and man, that thread actually seems kinda creepy to me. Understandably creepy, but... well, whatever.

Quite the unfortunate title change. As I said before, the first 2 episodes did nothing for me, but I still don't think the fans here deserve this when the detractors were being very immature. I guess just carry on with your normal discussions and hopefully Evilore will decide to change it back.

Let's keep this new page on the track end of the last page was. Glad to see GAF has a mature community for the most part.

Now, I'm back to whining in the League of Legends thread.

Stubo

Fear not, MLP-GAF, Penny Arcade have got your back!

Yw45n.jpg

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/3/14/ballin/

cosmicblizzard said:
Quite the unfortunate title change. As I said before, the first 2 episodes did nothing for me, but I still don't think the fans here deserve this when the detractors were being very immature. I guess just carry on with your normal discussions and hopefully Evilore will decide to change it back.

While I don't want to push, you MIGHT want to check out one or two more episodes. Assuming the two episodes you watched was the two part pilot, it was perfectly summed up earlier in the thread that those two episodes push the whole "Magical Friendship Power ala Sailor Moon" theme a little strong (especially in the second episode)while all the episodes after have been more subdued and more like a hijinks-filled Cartoon sitcom.

Basically, the first two episodes aren't really a good representation of the series as a whole.

Choppasmith said:
While I don't want to push, you MIGHT want to check out one or two more episodes. Assuming the two episodes you watched was the two part pilot, it was perfectly summed up earlier in the thread that those two episodes push the whole "Magical Friendship Power ala Sailor Moon" theme a little strong while all the episodes after have been more subdued and more like a hijinks-filled Cartoon sitcom.

Basically, the first two episodes aren't really a good representation of the series as a whole.

Yeah. It was going to be Pony Sailor Moon, and the pilot was supposed to be a one-parter, with the fight against Nightmare Moon being the main plot point. Then they decided they'd like the eps to be viewable in any order, so they had to abruptly resolve that plot, and now it's Pony Azumanga Daioh instead.

Amibguous Cad said:
Yeah. It was going to be Pony Sailor Moon, and the pilot was supposed to be a one-parter, with the fight against Nightmare Moon being the main plot point. Then they decided they'd like the eps to be viewable in any order, so they had to abruptly resolve that plot, and now it's Pony Azumanga Daioh instead.

Honestly, that sounds worse to me. I can't really stand episodic stuff these days. Need an overarching plot.

KtSlime

Azumanga or LuckyStar I think is a good way to describe it. They all have that slice of life/Ozu - nothing special but heart warming feel to it.

Nekofrog

Banned
Watched the first two episodes.

I don't get it.

Why do they keep touting the prestige of Foster's, PPG, and others, when this show is nothing like it, and not even remotely funny?

And why have people jumped on the bandwagon for this? Even my wife thought it was "cute", but not that great.

LowParry

Man, I leave for a while to get a couple levels in Rift, then come back to see a shit storm start up in here. I'm very sad to see how things went. Panda. Shame on you. But apology accepted for the thread derail. I'm not really sure that the title change was to bring things back on track when the rest of the pony crew here looked to have things under control and not detract for what the thread is all about. A damn shame really. I salute you ponies.
zk3fko.jpg

daffy

Banned
Nekofrog said:
Watched the first two episodes.

I don't get it.

Why do they keep touting the prestige of Foster's, PPG, and others, when this show is nothing like it, and not even remotely funny?

And why have people jumped on the bandwagon for this? Even my wife thought it was "cute", but not that great.
I suggest you continue watching, at least one episode more. As it has been previously stated, the first two episodes, which is really just a 1-hour pilot, are not really representative of the entire series.

I don't remember Foster's nor PPG having fantastic pilots that made the entire season look good.

... OK Gaf. I have placed this in the "strange pedo 4Chan thing" in the back of my mind, trying to ignore 4chan threads about it.

Then I notice a lot of gaf members with MLP avas and now I see this thread. I'm gonna give it a try ... just to see if it's more then "Western Moe Pedo-Bait".

benita

Banned
You gotta have a thicker skin guys. If a bunch if gaffers created a Wiggles thread talking about how they listen to "Wake Up Jeff" through headphones due to the magical melody and heartfelt lyrics they'd be shit on too.

Watch what you want but you gotta be able to cop a bit of stick.

lexi

Banned
benita said:
You gotta have a thicker skin guys. If a bunch if gaffers created a Wiggles thread talking about how they listen to "Wake Up Jeff" through headphones due to the magical melody and heartfelt lyrics they'd be shit on too.

Agreed. Whatever you like is shit. How can you enjoy it? It's for manchildren. Apparently I have free reign to say this kind of thing to anyone, it's just a bit of stick after all.

Jintor

benita said:

...but the Wiggles are awesome

KtSlime

I think there is enough room in this world for both MLP and Naruto.

UnblessedSoul: Are you a fan of animation? If so you may want to check this show out, or one of Faust's other spectacular shows if you can't get over the use of pink. Personally I don't mind pink, many of my male japanese friends find pink an awesome color, and I do as well.

Oh and the Wiggles are cool too.

benita

Banned
lexi said:
Agreed. Whatever you like is shit. How can you enjoy it? It's for manchildren. Apparently I have free reign to say this kind of thing to anyone, it's just a bit of stick after all.
Hey mate that's cool, I don't give a fuck what you think.

See, how hard is that?

Salazar

benita said:

See, how hard is that?

It's not a matter of difficulty. It's that exchanges like that are pretty much void of entertainment or pleasure or intellectual or cultural interest. That's why they shit up threads.

daffy

Banned
benita said:

Ok well, I think that this ship has sailed and we should move on, but you really should go back and carefully read what happened here.

They weren't insulting the show (calling it horribly animated or dumb looking), they were insulting us for watching it. Calling us names and throwing crap at us for liking a show that, to them, looked bad. They had never been in here previously, and likely never took the time to even watch a preview of this show.

I really don't think its fair to compare this thread to all the others that have been trolled in the past. It really was a "oh hey, this show looks kiddy, let's go call these guys names for watching it!" kind of thing. Not many criticisms hurled at the show itself. This combined with the, IMO, poor handling of the situation by changing the thread title to invite trolls here, was not the right way to handle things. I don't think members can give us advice on this kind of situation at all.

EDIT: I also like to think we were handling the situation fairly well (ie ignoring or calling down) the trolls that were here pre-title change. You can't ignore a troll if they continue to post response after response. It was after that that things truly got out of hand.

benita said:

See, how hard is that?
And this is looked at as hostility, which is apparently only going to help destroy this thread, according to EviLore. You can say that, but then the trolls will say, "Oh whatever dude grow a pair, quit being so sensitive, we can have an opinion if we waaaant blah blah blah"

KtSlime

I think opinions should be constructive, and only formed if you have insight, maybe by watching the show, or possess a specialty in animation, or cultural psychology.

Critiques in the mythos to me are GREATLY welcome. It is neat to talk about and form opinion over.

I think even studies on why this might not be a great show for adult males might be welcome - however no one has presented such as thing, it has never been more than "People that do not have orthodoxic views of culture are suspect, so I am going to make fun of your sexuality" - except not even on that level of discourse.

Errors in animation and critiques on color palette are also very much welcome. I'd like to know more about concepts in animation, so talking about it is a plus.

It's pretty unfair to critique something you haven't the slightest clue of.

benita

Banned
I can't understand how you don't expect ridicule when you talk about the "mythos" of My Little Pony.

Like I said, watch what you want. The problem here though and what I suspect is attracting the ridicule us that you're laying it in so fucking thick that it comes across as disingenuous. If you like the show, fine, but writing a damn thesis about what makes a show aimed at 6 year old girls so sophisticated is taking the piss.

At least it comes across that way.

Man, if only Shawn Elliott was still doing Heroes of the Web.

KtSlime

benita said:
I can't understand how you don't expect ridicule when you talk about the "mythos" of My Little Pony.

Like I said, watch what you want. The problem here though and what I suspect is attracting the ridicule us that you're laying it in so fucking thick that it comes across as disingenuous. If you like the show, fine, but writing a damn thesis about what makes a show aimed at 6 year old girls so sophisticated is taking the piss.

Why can't My Little Pony have a mythos? Because it's a cartoon? Because it's for kids? Or because it's for girls? Because I don't think any of those things preclude it from containing a mythos, let alone a good one.

The interesting thing about studying human behavior, is that you often find the best results in things you suspect the least. MLP is rife with social commentary both intended, and unintended by the influence of the zeitgeist, politics, and human action as a whole. To say that it does not contain these things is silly, and makes me wonder just how much you know about the topic.

daffy

Banned
benita said:

Eh, a show is a show. It can be appreciated on many different levels. Someone can look at Halo or Gears of War and go, "Wow what bro shooter for fratboys and teenagers, this shit is so simple, all we have to do is shoot aliens and oogle the hot girls" but then there are people in their mid-40s that read the books and appreciate the backstory. Who cares who its aimed at if everyone can enjoy it?

The people that work on this show probably design the mythos and whatnot so that it may be appreciated.

And again, we didn't get ridicule based on how we treated the series, we got ridicule because people expected all of us to behave like Pandaman did(no offense :p). It doesn't really matter how it comes across, if you lurk here and see people actually sticking to what they say then you will see it is genuine.

Can I ask one serious question? Both the original Selena Gomez thread and the original SNSD thread got title changes and were trolled, just like this thread. But no one in those other two threads got as angry and defensive as everyone in this thread did. They just laughed off the title changes, ignored the trolls and went on with their business. This thread got much angier than those other two threads. Why?

Furret

Banned
Hang on, who changed the thread title?

I find that really offensive.

Finding out about his show has been a real bright spot in GAF's relentlessly cynical world and it's deeply disturbing to me that others feel threatened by it.

Who exactly made the change?

Feep

Banned
benita said:

I don't even like this show, but can you get the fuck out, please? You're arrogant and annoying, and you show zero respect for others' interests and preferences.

Carry on, Pony-GAF.

Darklord

Banned
Furret said:
Yes, really.

I wouldn't have said it otherwise.

It's a joke about a tv show about cartoon ponies. Thread title changes happened to both Selena Gomez and that asian pop thread and heaps of others. If you take offense to that, grow up.

KtSlime

It doesn't matter what happened in the past, what decisions other threads did or did not make, or that we have a bullseye for a title.

We can move past this, and enjoy our avatars, quirky images, awesome OC, excellent remixes and covers of pony songs, and look forward to the next episode.

We got a lot of flak thrown at us today, but we will survive, and we will be all the stronger for it.

Jintor

Trent Strong said:
Can I ask one serious question? Both the original Selena Gomez thread and the original SNSD thread got title changes and were trolled, just like this thread. But no one in those other two threads got as angry and defensive as everyone in this thread did. They just laughed off the title changes, ignored the trolls and went on with their business. This thread got much angier than those other two threads. Why?

I don't know what happened in these other threads... what were they about? Who's Selena Gomez and what's SNSD?

Satyamdas

Banned
Furret said:
Hang on, who changed the thread title?

I find that really offensive.

Finding out about his show has been a real bright spot in GAF's relentlessly cynical world and it's deeply disturbing to me that others feel threatened by it.

Who exactly made the change?
I like the repetition of your demand to know who changed the title, it really drives home the point that you're intent on finding the perp
Mod
so you can hand out some good ole fashioned forum retribution. Just go easy on 'em, man. That's all I ask.

daffy

Banned
Yeah, I think I'm gonna start ignoring these people that come in here and ask loaded questions with no intention of listening to the answer, like the guy that posted underneath my last post & the benita guy.

I just finished watching another episode, hopefully I can get up to speed completely before the next one airs and is uploaded. I don't wanna be behind anymore Pony-GAF!!!

I am supposed to be sleeping right now hehehe I should get to that huh :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom