• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not A Fur said:
Urgh, I have to stop marathonning... I totally read this in Fluttershy's voice. >_<

I'm only two eps away from being current though!
I remember one of your earlier posts when this thread was only a few pages, didn't you say MLP wasn't for you?

Mechanical Snowman said:
I remember one of your earlier posts when this thread was only a few pages, didn't you say MLP wasn't for you?

Yeah, man. Pony thread is only for the truest of heart and strongest devotion. We don't need no Johnny Come latelys.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
G-Fex said:
no it was stupid
Man, you don't deserve any of the crap that was flinged around in this thread in the last 12 hours. You don't even watch the show regularly, as far as I can remember you writing.

Glad you're still here. :)

Mechanical Snowman said:

Well, um, the first couple of episodes... >_>

But yeah, whoever said it was right. It really does grow on you. The animation is fantastic (I keep jumping back five seconds to catch those awesome two-frame facial expressions) and it's genuinely funny.

The content is obviously geared towards little kids (which is what was I was reacting to at first), but the pacing and humor totally work for me, and I've always had a soft spot for cute stuff. So yeah. :3 I recanter my earlier statement.

wsippel

Banned
Yeah, so I watched the first four episodes, and it actually is really fun. The characters and the humor are very reminiscent of PPG, it's just a lot more saccharine and not nearly as over the top - which is pretty much exactly what I had expected/ hoped for.

G-Fex

Myke Greywolf said:
Man, you don't deserve any of the crap that was flinged around in this thread in the last 12 hours. You don't even watch the show regularly, as far as I can remember you writing.

Glad you're still here. :)

thank you

Not A Fur said:
Well, um, the first couple of episodes... >_>
(I keep jumping back five seconds to catch those awesome two-frame facial expressions) and it's genuinely funny.
Lol, I do the same. In fact, I probably do it so much that each episode lasts for 2 extra minutes for me.

Glad you changed your mind about it anyway.

Killer said:
What is the average age of gaffers watching this show? I just don't understand.
Don't know, but Youtube has a statistical page for each video showing the average age of its users. It's usually something like "this video is most popular with males age 25-35" if I remember correctly.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Killer said:
What is the average age of gaffers watching this show? I just don't understand.
A full census hasn't been attempted regarding this question. I can safely tell you that it is over 14 and under 9000.

Mechanical Snowman said:
Glad you changed your mind about it anyway.

Glad I stuck with it!

I'm trying to find an episode that I can recommend to people to get started on, since I don't really feel like the first couple are up to par. It's hard for me to tell at this point if it's really due to those episodes, or if it was just the getting-used-to-it factor. Are folks generally recommending 'start at the beginning and watch at least four' or is there a good starting point that happens to land in mid-season?

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Not A Fur said:
Glad I stuck with it!

I'm trying to find an episode that I can recommend to people to get started on, since I don't really feel like the first couple are up to par. It's hard for me to tell at this point if it's really due to those episodes, or if it was just the getting-used-to-it factor. Are folks generally recommending 'start at the beginning and watch at least four' or is there a good starting point that happens to land in mid-season?
Starting at the beginning is important, IMHO, because of the character introductions, since this is an extremely character-driven show. Other than that, I'd think that it depends on the target's tastes, since the show is almost totally episodic in nature. If they're more leaning towards comedy, I'd recommend any episode focusing on Pinkie Pie, such as "Griffon the Brush-Off" or "Feeling Pinkie Keen". If they are partial towards adventure, I'd show them "Swarm of the Century" or "Dragonshy". People who like musicals will certainly love "Winter Wrap Up" and "Suited for Success".

wsippel said:
Yeah, so I watched the first four episodes, and it actually is really fun. The characters and the humor are very reminiscent of PPG, it's just a lot more saccharine and not nearly as over the top - which is pretty much exactly what I had expected/ hoped for.
Great comparison, I think I will be using it when "selling" this show to people who haven't been exposed to it, if you don't mind. Thanks!

Dennis

Banned
Teh Hamburglar said:
LRnTy.jpg
Nice

Not A Fur said:
Glad I stuck with it!

The pilot episodes are generally regarded as poor and don't necessarily reflect the quality of the rest of the season, but I think they're essential watching since they establish the whole set up and introduce all the characters.

So I would say if you're recommending to someone, tell them to watch the pilots and then one or 2 more. The episodes after the first two pilots can be watch in any order as there's no explicit continuity, so I'd choose something where all the characters get a a fair share of screen time. Edit: Myke's advice above is really good.

Puddles

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
PONY-GAF, HEED MY WORDS!

For this, the 2101st post of the era of Pony, and in order to avoid consequences of possibly babyponyan proportions the likes of which we have witnessed in the last few pages, Celestia herself compels me to transmit you...

The eight (so far) commandments of Pony-GAF (subject to updating at any time)

1 - Thou shalt not post Rule 34 material.
2 - Thou shalt not post any kind of shipping material, however innocent it may be.
3 - Thou shalt not post any furry-reminiscent material, however harmless it may appear.
4 - Thou shalt not respond to trolls or to attention horse.
5 - Thou shalt not spam pony-related materials in other threads.
6 - Thou shalt not derail pony-related conversations with unrelated matters.
7 - Thou shalt not mock a fellow brony for their motives, stance or opinion, for that is the troll's way.
8 - Thou shalt mark thy episode-related spoilers with spoiler tags for three full days after the first air date.

Any one brony (or anyone else) thinking of acting against these commandments is well to remember that even if Celestia herself doesn't see it fit to punish you, it is likely that Pony-GAF will not forgive you for your sin and send you to spend a season in the Everfree Forest in the company of the cockatrices.

Now go in peace, and may your oats be fresh. Amen.

This is weird.

Black-Wind said:
... OK Gaf. I have placed this in the "strange pedo 4Chan thing" in the back of my mind, trying to ignore 4chan threads about it.

Then I notice a lot of gaf members with MLP avas and now I see this thread. I'm gonna give it a try ... just to see if it's more then "Western Moe Pedo-Bait".
OK, I have seen the first 2 episodes (I remember seeing the final conflict in the 2nd one and thinking it was the season/ series final. IDK why ... felt like a final :/ ) and I'm back with my super short report.

Over all I think ... its a well animated cartoon with really good timing and a solid story/ setting revolving around some solid characters. :)

I can see myself liking it if it keeps things up to the level of the first 2 episodes. Animation wise I feel its FAR better than most all of todays other flash animations. You can really see the FHFIF in it. Love the expression changes and acting, this scene killed it for me ...
vrFB8.gif

I had to watch that whole interaction like 5 times lol!

So yeah, its gets my star rating so far. Pony gaf is alright in my book for now.

TheExodu5

Banned
Black-Wind said:
OK, I have seen the first 2 episodes (I remember seeing the final conflict in the 2nd one and thinking it was the season/ series final. IDK why ... felt like a final :/ ) and I'm back with my super short report.

Over all I think ... its a well animated cartoon with really good timing and a solid story/ setting revolving around some solid characters. :)

I can see myself liking it if it keeps things up to the level of the first 2 episodes. Animation wise I feel its FAR better than most all of todays other flash animations. You can really see the FHFIF in it. Love the expression changes and acting, this scene killed it for me ...
vrFB8.gif

So yeah, its gets my star rating so far. Pony gaf is alright in my book for now.
I'm not super interested by the story, but I can't stop watching due to the animation. I posted yesterday that it was nice, but didn't hold my attention. Low and behold, I somehow got a craving for watching some more today. The attention to detail in this show is astounding. The expressions are particularly well done, and cute as hell to boot.

This show is a nice contrast to other shows I watch (Fringe, Supernatural, Spartacus, Misfits).

I did laugh pretty hard at the Fluttershy scene, when she squeaked like mad.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Puddles said:
This is weird.
I'm sorry that you didn't find it to your taste. Can you please elaborate? I just tried to make it as a playfully-redacted way to advertise a code of self-conduct aimed at reducing the probability of further shitfests.

If it is because of the show references and horse puns... well, this is the thread for all of that, right? ;)

Black-Wind said:

vrFB8.gif

Yeah, that scene sealed the deal for me as well. Funny thing is, if you haven't gone too much beyond the first two episodes, it means that the best ones are still to come, so you're in for a treat!

I'm happy to be deserving of your respect, and I hope to keep it that way.

Mechanical Snowman said:
In fact, those male ponies from the flight school said that the Sonic Rainboom didn't even exist, so it must be only Rainbow Dash that has ever executed one in recent history if the move has legendary / myth status.

Either that or those guys were ignorant/trolling, which wouldn't really be surprising.

I wouldn't take anything snips or snails said about the world as canon, for obvious reasons, and I think the same applies to the rivals in Rainboom.

shuri said:
So how many of you guys would bring up your love for the show and fandom with real-life people? Co-workers? Raise them hands!

I've gotten a few of my IRL friends into the show.

TheExodu5

Banned
Thanks for changing the title back.

I think last night was good for the thread. Get the trolling out of GAF's system, and let Pony GAF learn to deal with it.

Having seen up until Sonic Rainboom, I would say that Bridle Gossip (mainly because of the Fluttershy and Pinky Pie scene) is my favorite episode but not by much followed by Swarm of the Century and Dragonshy, but the other episodes are just as great.

Furret

Banned
Not A Fur said:
Glad I stuck with it!

Yes, thread titles justice!

Only watched up to Winter Warm Up myself, but I'd say Bridle Gossip was the perfect intro... if it wasn't for the fact that the moral at the end was some bizarre anti-science riff that I found a pretty disturbing message to give to young children.

Seriously, enough hate, If people would just watch it for like 30 minutes they would understand that it's no different than Adventure Time, Spongebob, or Rocko!

Furret said:
Yes, thread titles justice!

Only watched up to Winter Warm Up myself, but I'd say Bridle Gossip was the perfect intro... if it wasn't for the fact that the moral at the end was some bizarre anti-science riff that I found a pretty disturbing message to give to young children.
It was Pinkie Keen that had the controversial friendship report, Bridle Gossip had the report: 'don't judge a book by its cover'.

And it's Wrap up not Warm up :p

Chipopo

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
PONY-GAF, HEED MY WORDS!

For this, the 2101st post of the era of Pony, and in order to avoid consequences of possibly babyponyan proportions the likes of which we have witnessed in the last few pages, Celestia herself compels me to transmit you...

The eight (so far) commandments of Pony-GAF (subject to updating at any time)

1 - Thou shalt not post Rule 34 material.
2 - Thou shalt not post any kind of shipping material, however innocent it may be.
3 - Thou shalt not post any furry-reminiscent material, however harmless it may appear.
4 - Thou shalt not respond to trolls or to attention horse.
5 - Thou shalt not spam pony-related materials in other threads.
6 - Thou shalt not derail pony-related conversations with unrelated matters.
7 - Thou shalt not mock a fellow brony for their motives, stance or opinion, for that is the troll's way.
8 - Thou shalt mark thy episode-related spoilers with spoiler tags for three full days after the first air date.

Any one brony (or anyone else) thinking of acting against these commandments is well to remember that even if Celestia herself doesn't see it fit to punish you, it is likely that Pony-GAF will not forgive you for your sin and send you to spend a season in the Everfree Forest in the company of the cockatrices.

Now go in peace, and may your oats be fresh. Amen.

worse than the moe picture.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Christ, no way I'm reading all this.

So many pages of nonsense in such a short time. Keep going back a few pages and it just carries on and on.

DarkKyo

Jintor said:
Not sure why there's a pony in there, but I'll take it

I know that Gabe (the character) has a pony fascination... I think...?

Some douche asked him to draw a pony into the comic during the comic-creation panel on Saturday... I only assumed it was one of you guys.

For me, it was the style of the animation that drew me in and I stuck around because of the different personalities of the main six. Since there isn't an overarching story line throughout the episodes (like Faust originally wanted), there really isn't a whole lot of story to be interested in. However, the mythology is pretty good, the characters are very likable with great VAs, and the animation itself is amazing.

Anyway, I'm glad the thread lived through whatever the hell happened in here. While I don't agree with how things were handled overall, at least the thread wasn't locked. It seems to have calmed down a lot so lets try to keep it that way.

Speculation on the next episode? Will Hoity Toity be the one to push Fluttershy into the spotlight? How will she deal with it?

Also, my last post was just before the thread deteriorated into a mess so this was probably lost in the shuffle. But does anyone know why Sapphire Shores doesn't have a cutie mark?

Edit: The original thread name is back? Glad to see that.

Furret

Banned
Mechanical Snowman said:
It was Pinkie Keen that had the controversial friendship report, Bridle Gossip had the report: 'don't judge a book by its cover'.

And it's Wrap up not Warm up :p

Oh, sorry. I'm getting them mixed up.

In that case watch Bridle Gossip first, it's ace.

Pinkie Keen is great too if you turn it off just before the end.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Confused101 said:
Speculation on the next episode? Will Hoity Toity be the one to push Fluttershy into the spotlight? How will she deal with it?
I'm not one to speculate a lot about future episodes, but I think it would be funny if we got to see that other facet of Fluttershy, after the glimpse she gave us in "Suited for Success".

Confused101 said:
Also, my last post was just before the thread deteriorated into a mess so this was probably lost in the shuffle. But does anyone know why Sapphire Shores doesn't have a cutie mark?
Again, speculation, but either this was an animation error, or Sapphire covers hers with makeup, like Lady Gaga does with her eyebrows sometimes. :p

KtSlime

Confused101: Yeah, that was an interesting observation. I hope Lauren does go into it a bit, the joke right now I guess is that she bleaches it. I would hate to think that a pony can never get a cutie mark, and then of course a pony with such high status/skill as to be Sapphire Shores.

The other possibility is it was an error, Hasbro I don't think has an official Sapphire Shores pony, but it does seem intentional because even Derpy can get some randomly generated one by the artists.

Any theories?

Edit: Ah, I guess it could be a Lady Gaga reference couldn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom