• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we ranking season 1?

1. Episode 10 Swarm of the Century
2. Episode 9 Bridle Gossip
3. Episode 13 Fall Weather Friends
4. Episode 1 Mare in the Moon
5. Episode 7 Dragonshy

G-Fex said:
KCJZM.png
priceless

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Mechanical Snowman said:
The sound Pinkie makes at 14:56 is unbearably cute.

About as cute as Fluttershy's squeaks in episode 1, which comes as no surprise, as they share the same voice actress (not in the linked scene, of course).

Dr. Pangloss said:
Are we ranking season 1?

1. Episode 10 Swarm of the Century
2. Episode 9 Bridle Gossip
3. Episode 13 Fall Weather Friends
4. Episode 1 Mare in the Moon
5. Episode 7 Dragonshy

My personal ranking so far:

1 - 1.14 "Suited for Success"
2 - 1.10 "Swarm of the Century"
3 - 1.9 "Bridle Gossip"
4 - 1.16 "Sonic Rainboom"
5 - 1.7 "Dragonshy"

Honorable mention for 1.6 "Boast Busters", because there can never be too much love for the adorable douchiness of the Great and Powerful Trixie.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
BobDylan said:
the fuck is going on in this thread? seriously. can someone explain
In this thread, we talk about an animated TV show that we like. If you want, you can try it. Just copy-paste the thread title plus "episode 1" into Youtube's search box. Afterwards, we encourage you to state your opinion about it, in a civil manner. Thank you. :)

Foxix Von

Jintor said:
Thanks for changing the title back, whoever changed the title back.
Here, have a mythbusters comic artix drew.
http://theartrix.deviantart.com/art/...nies-200939257

I laughed way too hard at this.

FTH said:
Thanks!
I'm gonna take this one!!
Taking http://i.imgur.com/G3HOd.gif in exchange for http://i.imgur.com/qVyGv.png
which was located on line 1

Thanks! I think I got the post all up to date now. It's sort of hard to keep track of since a couple people have ditched their avis without notice. *watches thread like a hawk*

benita

Banned
I just watched the first 2 episodes plus episode 10 so that I could make an informed contribution to the thread and I fail to see how this show appeals to adult men in any way, shape or form. I just don't understand how you can enjoy watching 2 ponies talking about clearing branches from a tree because a storm is coming followed by one of them bleating about the rain ruining her perfectly styled mane.

I can appreciate how the animation and storylines would appeal to children and understand how a parent could enjoy the act of watching this show with their child. I'm not going to make any personal judgements on the posters in this thread but I don't see any of the mythos, social commentary or adult humour that you people purport to be present.

I literally cannot comprehend what about this show appeals to adult men but hey, different tastes make the world go around right? Whatever, carry on your merry way bronies :)

KtSlime

My ranking would be:
1 - 1.16 Sonic Rainboom
2 - 1.7 Dragonshy
3 - 1.10 Swarm of the Century
4 - 1.14 Suited for Success
5 - 1.5 Griffon the Brush-Off

I don't know about you guys, but I get an uncontrollable smile when Dash busts through the sound barrier, saves everyone, and Fluttershy is jumping up and down screaming. The other ponies are slack jawed, but Fluttershy as a pegasus pony knows that this feat is fucking amazing.

lexi

Banned
ivedoneyourmom said:
I don't know about you guys, but I get an uncontrollable smile when Dash busts through the sound barrier, saves everyone, and Fluttershy is jumping up and down screaming. The other ponies are slack jawed, but Fluttershy as a pegasus pony knows that this feat is fucking amazing.

Definitely agree, it's the best moment in the series so far for me.

BobDylan

Myke Greywolf said:
In this thread, we talk about an animated TV show that we like. If you want, you can try it. Just copy-paste the thread title plus "episode 1" into Youtube's search box. Afterwards, we encourage you to state your opinion about it, in a civil manner. Thank you. :)

interesting......well I watched about 5 minutes of an ep. I mean there are other shows that could be worse but I just dont think I could ever get into this. to each their own I suppose

This thread got me to watch the first episode.

It is cute, inoffensive and moderately clever, and that automatically makes it pretty good for a kids' show.

I'm a bit perplexed by this thread (and the avatars), but at the same time, I won't go out of my way to make everypony in this thread feel like a pariah. I can't say I'll go out of my way to watch it, but if I had a daughter, I could definitely watch this show with her and not be totally annoyed by it.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
BertramCooper said:
This thread got me to watch the first episode.

It is cute, inoffensive and moderately clever, and that automatically makes it pretty good for a kids' show.

I'm a bit perplexed by this thread (and the avatars), but at the same time, I won't go out of my way to make everypony in this thread feel like a pariah. I can't say I'll go out of my way to watch it, but if I had a daughter, I could definitely watch this show with her and not be totally annoyed by it.

Yeah, while I think the qualities of the show are undeniable in an objective light, the contents are definitely not for everyone's taste. Most fans of it probably have more of a taste for cuteness and innocent fun than most people, and that, allied with its technical and artistic merits, turns it into an irresistible treat for us. It's as simple as that, and I hope you are able to understand it.

benita said:
I just watched the first 2 episodes plus episode 10 so that I could make an informed contribution to the thread and I fail to see how this show appeals to adult men in any way, shape or form. I just don't understand how you can enjoy watching 2 ponies talking about clearing branches from a tree because a storm is coming followed by one of them bleating about the rain ruining her perfectly styled mane.

I can appreciate how the animation and storylines would appeal to children and understand how a parent could enjoy the act of watching this show with their child. I'm not going to make any personal judgements on the posters in this thread but I don't see any of the mythos, social commentary or adult humour that you people purport to be present.

I literally cannot comprehend what about this show appeals to adult men but hey, different tastes make the world go around right? Whatever, carry on your merry way bronies :)
Uhmmm, I'm asexual and I reproduce via cloning female versions of myself like wolverine. My reproduction is illegal according to international laws, just like I'm permabanned from the internet, yet here I am working on perfecting human cloning and artificial womb technology.

More on topic cloning of artificial ponies should also be possible, with synthetic biology violet unicorn ponies can be made real flesh and bone.

Okay everypony, I've made some progress! MP3 Downloads ahoy!

Winter Wrap Up Karaoke Uses the two front channels, there's a small vocal echo, regardless of channel (I made this for my Sister as she's been wanting to learn the song, and she finds it's nice to have a quiet vocal "guide"). I might make a second version using the back surround channels as those have quieter "back up" singing.

Winter Wrap Up Clean Instrumental - Taken from the end of the episode. Aside from the quick "bird whistle" no sound effects at all. Came out clean and beautifully.

Grand Galloping Gala Karaoke - Uses the 2 front channels (a little bit of Pinky echoed from the center channel)

Grand Galloping Gala with Less Pinky - My second attempt is a tad softer. Using the Back surround channels, I've been able to eliminate Pinky's voice entirely (unlike Winter Wrap up, there's no echo!)

And something Random...

Pinkie Pie Skating - This is from Winter wrap up. You normally can't hear it because Twilight and Spike are talking.

I'll upload copies to Youtube, and mayeb send the links Ponychan's way in a bit.

Satyamdas

Banned
Ultima ratio regum said:
Uhmmm, I'm asexual and I reproduce via cloning female versions of myself like wolverine. My reproduction is illegal according to international laws, just like I'm permabanned from the internet, yet here I am working on perfecting human cloning and artificial womb technology.

More on topic cloning of artificial ponies should also be possible, with synthetic biology violet unicorn ponies can be made real flesh and bone.
tumblr_ldq7jk4BHp1qalwby.gif

Narag

Mt Heart Attack said:
Just watched the first five minutes of the first episode.. due to GAF hype. Is there a reason why apparentely no male ponies exist?

They do, they're just rarely a focus.

Mt Heart Attack said:
Just watched the first five minutes of the first episode.. due to GAF hype. Is there a reason why apparentely no male ponies exist?

They do. Though, they're usually used as bullies.
:(

threenote said:
Plenty of people here need serious help.

You're just looking for an avatar quote, and I REFUSE to oblige!

KtSlime

Mt Heart Attack said:

It's a matriarchy, and males do exist, however they are mostly limited to towns such as Ponyville and Cloudsdale. I think most of the ponies you will find in Canterlot are female unicorns, and male pegasi in the Princess Celestia's Royal Guard.

Edit: and if you want to get all technical like: we are talking about horses which generally have a lower male to female ratio than most mammals, especially humans.

threenote

Banned
ivedoneyourmom said:
It's a matriarchy, and males do exist, however they are mostly limited to towns such as Ponyville and Cloudsdale. I think most of the ponies you will find in Canterlot are female unicorns, and male pegasi in the Princess Celestia's Royal Guard.
Xzibit-WTF.jpg

Narag said:
They do, they're just rarely a focus.
Ah yeah, just saw two male horses drawing a flying coach. They don't even seem to be able to speak. This show sure is sexist :p

ivedoneyourmom said:
Edit: and if you want to get all technical like: we are talking about horses which generally have a lower male to female ratio than most mammals, especially humans.
Do they? Never knew that.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
if you had to choose, what kind of pony would you guys be?

pegasus or unicorn?

i figure unicorn since i could probably just levitate myself with enough practice.

daffy

Banned
Ok, I just finished watching episode 10, this show is really starting to come into its own. Hopefully by the time the next episode airs I'll be finishing up episode 19. It looks like I'm gonna have to start marathoning it if I wanna catch up though.

It shall be done. :D

G-Fex

-COOLIO- said:

pegasus or unicorn?

i figure unicorn since i could probably just levitate myself with enough practice.

the cutest pony of them all, like apple blossom.

my catchphrase will be "Aw rubber duckies!" whenever things go wrong.

heck, i'm going to make that my catchphrase anyways.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
G-Fex said:
the cutest pony of them all, like apple blossom.

my catchphrase will be "Aw rubber duckies!" whenever things go wrong.

heck, i'm going to make that my catchphrase anyways.
power wise, ab has super human kicking strength

KtSlime

Mt Heart Attack: Yeah, MLP actually has a pretty good representation of horse social conventions. Also, I think the non-speaking males can be explained by the nature of real horses, and that they are guards, and in many cultures guards are not supposed to talk, let alone talk to somepony of a much higher station such as Twilight, which is a female unicorn student of Princess Celestia, the mother goddess/matriarch.

wikipedia said:
Feral and wild horse herds are usually made up of several separate small bands who share a given territory. Bands are organized on a "harem model" in that they usually consist of one adult male and a group of females. Each band is led by a mare who is dominant in the hierarchy, called the "dominant mare," the "lead mare" or the "boss mare." The band contains additional mares, their foals, and immature horses of both sexes. There is usually a single "herd" or "lead" stallion, though occasionally a few less-dominant males may remain on the fringes of the group.[2]
Bands are usually on the small side, as few as three to five animals, but sometimes over a dozen. The makeup of bands shifts over time as young animals are driven out of the band they were born into and join other bands, or as young stallions challenge older males for dominance. However, in a given closed ecosystem such as the isolated refuges in which most wild horses live today, to maintain genetic diversity the minimum size for a sustainable wild horse or burro population is 150-200 animals.[3]

Sorry threenote, I am sure that was supposed to be funny, but I didn't get the reference.

-COOLIO-: Unicorn, they are definitely in the higher echelon of ponytics.

daffy

Banned
-COOLIO- said:

pegasus or unicorn?

Why a unicorn of course! They are a rare breed, and if they are anything like the one in my avatar, they are a very refined and classy type.

But who knows, there's no telling how many types of ponies there are out there!

samoset

Being a Pegasus seems like it would be much more fun, besides who wouldn't want Rainbow Dash's job of clearing clouds all day.

dream

-COOLIO- said:

pegasus or unicorn?

You guys were more fun before you became self-aware.

I stumbled on the derailing last night, shed a single manly tear, and turned to leave. Then I checked back one last time today and saw that Pony-Gaf is alive and well again. Impressive recovery, bronies. This is why you guys are awesome.
Pic related.
12990845073.png

Edit: And by "single manly tear", of course, I mean
Xu8Gj.gif

TheExodu5

Banned
-COOLIO- said:

pegasus or unicorn?

Pegasus! Then I could make rainbows as I fly at supersonic speeds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom