• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKyo

Frankenstrat said:
So I'm halfway into the first episode and I'm wondering when it starts being worthy of all this hype, can someone fill me in?
Are you a 10 year-old girl? No? That could be the problem.

Frankenstrat said:
So I'm halfway into the first episode and I'm wondering when it starts being worthy of all this hype, can someone fill me in?
Half way in to the first episode means you've watched 10 minutes lol. Watch the two pilots and then a couple more regular episodes and then decide if it's for you or not.

Foxix! I've just read that you're getting into Maya, cooleroo.

Foxix Von

Choppasmith said:
Related, I made videos doing the same effect for Winter Wrap Up and Pinkie's cupcake song

Oooooh thanks. If I ever audition for American Idol you know what I'm singing.

Edit: thanks Mechanical! Yeah I've been wanting to learn animation for ages now and I'm finally able to take the plunge into Animation Mentor now. Well hopefully my new laptop holds together, I'm actually scared to even touch that thing now that the system recovery is finished. I'm thinking about not even using it for anything other than work at this point... I tend to bork computers with great ease...

careksims

Mechanical Snowman said:
Half way in to the first episode means you've watched 10 minutes lol. Watch the two pilots and then a couple more regular episodes and then decide if it's for you or not.

That's what I been saying to folks. I'm converting a lot of them to the pony army.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Frankenstrat said:
When you see this:
vrFB8.gif

Jintor

Frankenstrat said:

I personally got more interested somewhere around halfway through the second episode. Everything after that is just pure squeeeeeeeeee

Foxix Von

Mechanical Snowman said:
Already posted, Latey McLaterson!

How is this:

http://i54.tinypic.com/20pdb9g.jpg

Just made it after watching Pony Show again, it seemed like the perfect avi candidate. Don't feel obligated to use, Foxix can just put it on the Avatar page if you don't want. Also, I thought you were complaining that your avatar couldn't be changed?

Good question! Glad to see it resolved though, and I'll totally add it to the stack if he doesn't claim dibs on it.

Edit: Too awesome to not post
1kuFh.jpg

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Already translated 7 episodes to european portuguese and timed subtitles for 5 episodes... I'm planning to go more public with this project once I reach episode 10.

I'm really into it, I hope I can get more people in Portugal and Brazil to watch this and become part of the brony army.

If anyone wants to, they can use the subtitle timings for their own translation projects, just let me know and credit me for timing. All the files can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/mlp-fim_pt-pt_subs

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I watched the first episode: The animation and character design are really good and i love how the say 'everypony' instead of everybody. Dunno why but i love it.

:3

FoxSpirit

Mechanical Snowman said:
How is this:

20pdb9g.jpg

Just made it after watching Pony Show again, it seemed like the perfect avi candidate. Don't feel obligated to use, Foxix can just put it on the Avatar page if you don't want. Also, I thought you were complaining that your avatar couldn't be changed?

No, it was rather about the weirdness of my tag together with a Pnoy avie and me not daring to change due to a few past experiences.
Made a rant thread, people said I shouldn't care so I just went for it.
Oh, and nice avie but not quite. I'm looking more for something like the cloud hopping or the speech. I have gimp myself but I'll have to rewatch to maybe find some avatar stuff.

Been watching this pass the first 2 episodes (because it hooked me) and I just got to Episode 9.

I always thought Rainbow Dash was the
black one because of her voice (it kinda reminds me of "Number 5" from The Kids Next Door).
Guess she isn't ... or
Ponies are just "America" and The Zebra just reps "Africa" and not "Black People".

Shanadeus

Banned
Black-Wind said:
Been watching this pass the first 2 episodes (because it hooked me) and I just got to Episode 9.

I always thought Rainbow Dash was the
black one because of her voice (it kinda reminds me of "Number 5" from The Kids Next Door).
Guess she isn't ... or
Ponies are just "America" and The Zebra just reps "Africa" and not "Black People"
The latter.
There are definetly some "black" ponies that don't look like zebras in Equestria.

Sciz

I knew all those pony avatars in Gaming had to originate from OT somewhere.

And now that I'm here, I'm not sure I can leave.

Frankenstrat said:

It kinda sneaks up on you. You watch the first ep or two and think that while it's better than drek, it's not worthy of all the love, and set it aside. You get bored one day and watch a few more episodes.... and convince yourself to watch a few more...and then you're sporting a pony avatar.

Or, y'know, it's not your cup of tea. Not everyone like cute things.

Foxix Von

Amibguous Cad said:
It kinda sneaks up on you. You watch the first ep or two and think that while it's better than drek, it's not worthy of all the love, and set it aside. You get bored one day and watch a few more episodes.... and convince yourself to watch a few more...and then you're sporting a pony avatar.

Or, y'know, it's not your cup of tea. Not everyone like cute things.

Exactly what happened to me, except in about the span of a single day. I think maybe a part of why that happens is due to so much of the humor being character based. At least for me it took a while to recognize and relate to all the different personalities of the main six but once I did it all sort of clicked. Once that happened I also enjoyed the initial two parter a good deal more as well.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So Tested.com just posted this week's podcast:
Episode 57 - Friendship is Magic
Gary Whitta talks about it for about 15 seconds starting at 1:46:00 :D
He thinks the first episode looks awesome in HD

edit: It's a good tech podcast too btw.

Foxix Von

RiccochetJ said:
So Tested.com just posted this week's podcast:
Episode 57 - Friendship is Magic
Gary Whitta talks about it for about 15 seconds starting at 1:46:00 :D
He thinks the first episode looks awesome in HD

edit: It's a good tech podcast too btw.

Oh god how I miss the :lol smiley. I skipped to it but it sounds like it came straight outta left field.

Fantastic. Thanks for that Gary!

Also, link for the lazy: http://www.tested.com/podcast/

UberTag

ivedoneyourmom said:
She's not, Ashleigh Ball is the voice of Rainbow Dash.
Ashleigh Ball also voices Applejack and Mary Test from Johnny Test.
Her best showcase role in an anime series was Sanri Wakana in Starship Operators.
She also happens to be the lead singer from Hey Ocean!.

l_2778c27b0436c22dca84ef6188d5ca3e.jpg

Neki

I watched the first two episodes, and the animation was nice, but it was so cheeeeeeeesy. I love cheesy but still, lol. Second episode did feel very sailor moony though, not sure if I like that or not. :p

TheExodu5

Banned
Ultimoo said:
I watched the first two episodes, and the animation was nice, but it was so cheeeeeeeesy. I love cheesy but still, lol. Second episode did feel very sailor moony though, not sure if I like that or not. :p

The second episode is the cheesiest of the bunch. It gets better.

Nert

The last time GAF convinced me to watch a "kid's" cartoon worked out great for me (Avatar: The Last Airbender), so I guess I will give this a shot in a little while. If I watch just three or so episodes, would that be enough to get a feel for whether or not I should stick with it? What kind of expectations should I have going into it?

Nert said:
The last time GAF convinced me to watch a "kid's" cartoon worked out great for me (Avatar: The Last Airbender), so I guess I will give this a shot in a little while. If I watch just three or so episodes, would that be enough to get a feel for whether or not I should stick with it? What kind of expectations should I have going into it?

I would say 4 is the magic number. Get the first three to establish the characters, and a fourth that's one of the best in the series (my vote would be for episode 14, Suited for Success). The characters and show can take awhile to grow on you (I think Foxix is right that much of the appeal and humor comes from well-developed characters that take some time to establish), but if you're not enjoying yourself by the end of 4, you're probably not going to like it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Nert said:

The first two episodes are really not representative of what the show is. Don't go in expecting an epic like Avatar, either. It's more slapstick with great animation.

Foxix Von

Amibguous Cad said:
I would say 4 is the magic number. Get the first three to establish the characters, and a fourth that's one of the best in the series (my vote would be for episode 14, Suited for Success). The characters and show can take awhile to grow on you (I think Foxix is right that much of the appeal and humor comes from well-developed characters that take some time to establish), but if you're not enjoying yourself by the end of 4, you're probably not going to like it.

I was going to post something very similar to this. Unfortunately I got sidetracked looking at those shirts again and forgot that I left that reply window open. I'm seriously considering a twilight or a derpy shirt >_>

Anyway yeah, three episodes is a fine amount I think. If you have time for it I would definitely recommend watching a fourth though. Again keep in mind that the first two episodes are greatly different in structure from the rest of the series. As someone else said earlier the first two are basically Pony Sailor Moon and the rest of the season is basically Pony Azumanga Daioh.

IT'S ABOUT PONYS!!! How I cringe at seeing all these pony's everywhere.... must..... avoid.... watching..... pony's......suppressed....memories.....rainbow...spot the dog.....gawakhahahawak.......

Foxix Von

MC Safety said:
So is this another 4Chan to Reddit to Something Awful to Gaming Age thing?

Please advise.

There's a pony thread on just about every forum I've looked at recently. It's difficult to pinpoint exactly where GAF caught the contagion.

RiccochetJ said:
Compared to your avatar vault? This actually looks easier.

You have a point. A point that I will promptly disregard as nonsense! Really though... I mean I'm not even sure how I'd accomplish bleaching a series of perfect pink circles on a gray shirt.

MC Safety

Foxix said:
There's a pony thread on just about every forum I've looked at recently. It's difficult to pinpoint exactly where GAF caught the contagion.

Caught the contagion or jumped on the bandwagon. Either way.

And usually when stuff reaches gaming age it's a little worn.

Koomaster

Gaf definitely caught on late; but it sounds like several of us have been watching but were too fluttershy to make a thread here. ^_^;;

Foxix Von

Lord_Nergal said:
Why can't I stop fucking watching?

WHY.

Trust me it doesn't go away either. Even having already watched all the episodes I still find myself rewatching old episodes even if I should be doing something better.

Foxix said:
Trust me it doesn't go away either. Even having already watched all the episodes I still find myself rewatching old episodes even if I should be doing something better.

It's like....I know I shouldn't enjoy this. If anyone saw me watching this I'd be embarrassed, but it's just so good.

FUCK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom