• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoddGutts

Furret said:
Why does everyone seem down on the opening two-parter?

It's not my favourite episode but I'd certainly say it was in the top tier.

If only for Twilight's line about all the ponies being crazy and trying to make friends all that time. Oh, and Pinkie Pie's introduction. And Rainbow Dash's intro, and...

The first two episodes weren't bad at all just not the strongest episodes of the series.

Jintor

I can't believe given all the crossover videos around there's no "Fighting Evil by Moonlight"/classic (western) sailor moon opening AMV for MLP

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:
The first episode is great. The second is a little too Sailor Moonish.
Yes. Watch Ep 3 to brony up ;) The "regular" episodes are the ones the show really starts growing on you, I promise. The opener still is kinda great for introducing the characters and for letting Twilight help you with the "Why am I watching this" problems.

Edit: I also think 1 and 2 are in their own way top tier, they are just so different.

The opening becomes better in retrospective. As previously stated my top 5 episodes were:

1. Episode 10 Swarm of the Century
2. Episode 9 Bridle Gossip
3. Episode 13 Fall Weather Friends
4. Episode 1 Mare in the Moon
5. Episode 7 Dragonshy

Cheerilee

Personally, I think the ponies should go on more episode 1&2-type adventures. Obviously nothing wrong with hanging around Ponyville just being themselves, but maybe go off and do something more interesting for season openers/enders.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
As someone said before to make things clear to Anime-GAF:

Episodes 1 and 2 are pony Sailor Moon.
The rest is mostly pony Azumanga Daioh.

I love both of those, so...

OMG Aero said:
So that might be a Luna episode.
For better and for worse, I find it more likely that they're saving Luna for the season finale.

Jintor said:
I can't believe given all the crossover videos around there's no "Fighting Evil by Moonlight"/classic (western) sailor moon opening AMV for MLP
Let's see...

Sailor Moon = Pinkie Pie
Sailor Mercury = Twilight Sparkle
Sailor Mars = Applejack
Sailor Venus = Rarity
Sailor Jupiter = Rainbow Dash
Sailor Saturn = Fluttershy
Tuxedo Kamen = MANLY SPIKE

Yeah, that could work.

KtSlime

Slightly OT but, was there some sort of secret anime meeting I wasn't aware of that caused people to start using the Japanese name for Tuxedo Mask? Or was it just a popular fan-sub? Not that I mind, it's just odd that all the others still get referred to by their English titles.

Koomaster

Myke Greywolf said:
Let's see...

Sailor Moon = Pinkie Pie
Sailor Mercury = Twilight Sparkle
Sailor Mars = Applejack
Sailor Venus = Rarity
Sailor Jupiter = Rainbow Dash
Sailor Saturn = Fluttershy
Tuxedo Kamen = MANLY SPIKE

Yeah, that could work.
I think Twilight Sparkle is more Mars than Mercury. I would put Fluttershy as Mercury. My List...

Sailor Moon - Pinkie Pie
Sailor Mercury - Fluttershy
Sailor Mars - Twilight Sparkle
Sailor Venus - Scootaloo
Sailor Jupiter - Applejack
Sailor Saturn - Sweetie Belle
Sailor Pluto - Princess Celestia
Sailor Uranus - Rainbow Dash
Sailor Neptune - Rarity
Tuxedo Mask - Spike
Sailor Chibimoon - Apple Bloom

KtSlime

Koomaster said:
I think Twilight Sparkle is more Mars than Mercury. I would put Fluttershy as Mercury. My List...

Sailor Moon - Pinkie Pie
Sailor Mercury - Fluttershy
Sailor Mars - Twilight Sparkle
Sailor Venus - Scootaloo
Sailor Jupiter - Applejack
Sailor Saturn - Sweetie Belle
Sailor Pluto - Princess Celestia
Sailor Uranus - Rainbow Dash
Sailor Neptune - Rarity
Tuxedo Mask - Spike
Sailor Chibimoon - Apple Bloom

Yeah, I think this may be a bit closer, however I am not sure Pinkie Pie can be Usagi-tyan, Sure, she has a similar outgoing personality, the same love of sweets, however I think Pinkie Pie is completely deredere, and doesn't have any esteem issues.

Koomaster

ivedoneyourmom said:
Yeah, I think this may be a bit closer, however I am not sure Pinkie Pie can be Usagi-tyan, Sure, she has a similar outgoing personality, the same love of sweets, however I think Pinkie Pie is completely deredere, and doesn't have any esteem issues.
Perhaps, maybe switch Pinkie Pie and Apple Bloom?

Just watched episode 4, god it was so hilarious. I laughed my ass off at this part:

EEEhM.png

Apple Jack is definitely my favourite.

And was that a Lion King reference?

Y3BzS.png

I hope it is, and that there is more cultural references in the other episodes.

Narag

Max Armstrong said:
And was that a Lion King reference?

Y3BzS.png

I hope it is, and that there is more cultural references in the other episodes.

Tvtropes has the rabbit thing as a callback to Night of the Lepus

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Koomaster said:
Tuxedo Mask - Spike

I like how this is mostly due to the fact that they're the only meaningful male characters in their respective series, and has nothing to do with personality.

Koomaster

ZealousD said:
I like how this is mostly due to the fact that they're the only meaningful male characters in their respective series, and has nothing to do with personality.
This is true. I didn't give much thought to it since there is no character on the show that really fits into the Tuxedo Mask role, unless you want to go with Fluttershy's rabbit? Sort of reminds me how Darien was always an asshole. lol

Spike is really more like Artemis if you're thinking about it personality wise.

I guess that would make Luna... Princess Luna?! :mindblown:
Nightmare Moon on the otherhand would make a good Queen Beryl.

Also Derpy Hooves is obviously Chibichibimoon. Doesn't really speak, clumsy, causing trouble to those around her.

Have no idea where Snips and Snails would fit in to the Sailormoonverse. Snips may be Serena's brother Sammy? Snails is Rei's pseudo boyfriend Chad? lol

Argh, somebody stop the crossover I wanna get off! :p

Cheerilee

ivedoneyourmom said:
Slightly OT but, was there some sort of secret anime meeting I wasn't aware of that caused people to start using the Japanese name for Tuxedo Mask? Or was it just a popular fan-sub? Not that I mind, it's just odd that all the others still get referred to by their English titles.
The American adaptation changed so much that it was outright rejected by those who were prone to do things like that. Even when the translations were minor like Ami>Amy or Rei>Raye. Changing Tuxedo Kamen to Tuxedo Mask was probably the best translation in the entire series, and it might even be considered "right" (although some would argue that a person's proper name should never be translated), but if you're in the mindset that the dub never happened, then it never happened, and his name is Tuxedo Kamen.

The other Senshi names aren't affected by this, because they were entirely English from the start. And no, there was no need to go to the extreme and use names like Sera Muun, because people were mostly just pretending that the DiC dub didn't exist, not going completely off the deep end.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You people are ponies monsters.

Mik2121

I've been ignoring this thread thinking it was just some joke post... then I saw the number of pages it had and.. wow. Why would you do this, GAF!? :p

Cheerilee

Mik2121 said:
I've been ignoring this thread thinking it was just some joke post... then I saw the number of pages it had and.. wow. Why would you do this, GAF!? :p
It's a pretty good show from some really great people. My Little Pony has never been this good. It's obviously not for everybody, and the name probably gives you a reasonable hint as to whether it is or not.

Want a Youtube link so you can see for yourself? Are you secure enough in your manhood to face the truth? Many men have been converted. The show's biggest demographic on Youtube is men who used to be immature little boys who never gave it the time of day back when the original was born in the 80's.

Jenga

Banned
ruby_onix said:
The show's biggest demographic on Youtube is men who used to be immature little boys who never gave it the time of day back when the original was born in the 80's.
makes sense, the biggest demographic are immature mid-20 somethings with a persecution complex

KtSlime

ruby_onix said:
The American adaptation changed so much that it was outright rejected by those who were prone to do things like that. Even when the translations were minor like Ami>Amy or Rei>Raye. Changing Tuxedo Kamen to Tuxedo Mask was probably the best translation in the entire series, and it might even be considered "right" (although some would argue that a person's proper name should never be translated), but if you're in the mindset that the dub never happened, then it never happened, and his name is Tuxedo Kamen.

The other Senshi names aren't affected by this, because they were entirely English from the start. And no, there was no need to go to the extreme and use names like Sera Muun, because people were mostly just pretending that the DiC dub didn't exist, not going completely off the deep end.

Cool, thanks - I didn't know people were purposely rejecting the DiC translation, but it would make sense. (It was SOO bad)

Darte

Yesterday
Ugh what the hell is it with these pony threads on forums everywhere?
Fine I'll check out one episode see what the damn fuss is about.

Today:
. . .WHY IS APRIL SO FAR AWAY?

+1 brony

tumblr_lhcl145uip1qch7fe.gif

oh PP, you so random!

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Mik2121 said:
<ghst> so
<ghst> my little pony has a big gaf fanbase.
<ghst> of course.
<ghst> i mean, i saw the avatars, i assumed it was some meta injoke that i couldn't be bothered to delve in to,
<ghst> hidden in that behemoth thread.
<ghst> but no,
<ghst> my little pony really does have a big gaf fanbase.
<ghst> my little pony.

KtSlime

Darte said:
Yesterday
Ugh what the hell is it with these pony threads on forums everywhere?
Fine I'll check out one episode see what the damn fuss is about.

Today:
. . .WHY IS APRIL SO FAR AWAY?

+1 brony

tumblr_lhcl145uip1qch7fe.gif

oh PP, you so random!

Haha, welcome. Have you had any time to listen to some of the wonderful 8-bit/chiptunes/remixes of the songs yet?

Yeah, April is too far away. =(

TheExodu5

Banned
ruby_onix said:
It's a pretty good show from some really great people. My Little Pony has never been this good. It's obviously not for everybody, and the name probably gives you a reasonable hint as to whether it is or not.

Want a Youtube link so you can see for yourself? Are you secure enough in your manhood to face the truth? Many men have been converted. The show's biggest demographic on Youtube is men who used to be immature little boys who never gave it the time of day back when the original was born in the 80's.

To be fair, you'd be teased to hell and back as a little boy if you watched MLP, and not in an amiable way. At my current age, I just don't give a shit. I actually showed it off to a few people at work, and they were pretty surprised by the quality of the show.

Jintor

ghst said:
<ghst> so
<ghst> my little pony has a big gaf fanbase.
<ghst> of course.
<ghst> i mean, i saw the avatars, i assumed it was some meta injoke that i couldn't be bothered to delve in to,
<ghst> hidden in that behemoth thread.
<ghst> but no,
<ghst> my little pony really does have a big gaf fanbase.
<ghst> my little pony.

fishtar-1.jpg

TheExodu5 said:
To be fair, you'd be teased to hell and back as a little boy if you watched MLP, and not in an amiable way. At my current age, I just don't give a shit. I actually showed it off to a few people at work, and they were pretty surprised by the quality of the show.

Yeah it's kinda a double-edged sword. The reason why there's such a negative backlash from people here is that people associate MLP as the epitome of sugary sweet girly-ness. I actually watched some of the pilot episode of the original series. Yeah, it's pretty awful. It's like the creators (who I noticed were nearly all men, I think I saw only ONE female producer listed amongst all the writers, producers, and directors) said "Okay WITTLE GURLS HERE'S YOUR NICE WITTLE GIRLY SHOW WITH GIRLY STUFF THAT YOU GIRLS LIKE. BUY OUR TOYS!"

So I think the fans are somewhat taken by how surprisingly good it is, emphasis on surprise.

However, if this were an Anime completely disconnected from the MLP franchise, it could be popular, but not as head turning as MLP because most people would see it as another Slice of Life anime with a female cast, just as anthropomorphic ponies.

Now how's this for awesome. A Brony from /co/ has set up a custom shirt shop, and he's going to donate the proceeds to Hasbro Children's Hospital.

http://shirtbrony.spreadshirt.com/

Can you say best fanbase EVER? And those are some pretty cool shirts, I can see myself wearing a Bic Macintosh shirt. Eeyup! Will pick up one tomorrow when I get my paycheck!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Where are you guys getting your MLPFiM avatars from?, I'd love a rainbow dash one, obviously different to 'ivedoneyourmom' one.

EDIT -

ok I found them, just have to search through the thread now and see if it's taken.

Qwomo

zmoney said:
I am still so confused by this thread and the new abundance of avatars relating to it.
Think of it as the lesser of two evils.

At least some of the dudes who like this show are watching it because their wives or children do. And it's got a fair amount of ageless humor, it seems, allowing older folk to appreciate it.

Gomez-GAF, on the other hand...

KtSlime

lowrider007 said:
Where are you guys getting your MLPFiM avatars from?, I'd love a rainbow dash one, obviously different to 'ivedoneyourmom' one.

EDIT -

ok I found them, just have to search through the thread now and see if it's taken.

Foxix keeps them up to date, just follow his rules and post that you are taking the one you are taking.

edit: Beat me to it, great avatar.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
lowrider007 said:
Ok I'm taking this one , thanks !!

love the avatars, so dam cute.

I just love how, on that scene, Rainbow Dash flaps her wings once while speaking, just as she's saying the word "flying". She's so into it! It's just one of those details you've got to love.

Meanwhile, pony stuff.

Awesome video section, now 20% cooler:

More Super Ponybeat!
300 Ponies trailer (guess who gets to shout "This is Sparta!")

Fan-art, usual precautions apply:

Fluttershy, Vampire Slayer
Skies of Equestria
Pinkie Pie and Apple Bloom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom