• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow I seriously hope the CMC are done for the season or just minimize their presence in future eps. The Stare Master and The Show Stoppers were barely watchable if it weren't for the main cast making some appearance. >:[

Pollux

Furret said:
Maybe I've got this wrong but isn't Celestia essentially a god? Or at least some sort of supernatural being?

Although unicorns can use magic they themselves seem to be mortal like anyone else, but if Luna can live for at least 1,000 years presumably so can Celestia.

And why is Celestia a princess? Does that mean that there's a queen that outranks her?

Probably because the show is made for little girls, as much as it pains me to say that considering how much I like it, and little girls like Princesses more than Queens.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Furret said:
Maybe I've got this wrong but isn't Celestia essentially a god? Or at least some sort of supernatural being?

Although unicorns can use magic they themselves seem to be mortal like anyone else, but if Luna can live for at least 1,000 years presumably so can Celestia.

And why is Celestia a princess? Does that mean that there's a queen that outranks her?

Even if Celestia is a goddess, that doesn't mean that she has always been one, and even if she lived for 1,000 years, it doesn't mean she's immortal. If Celestia and Luna are royalty as well, this means some kind of succession mechanism must be present, don't you think?

The whole "princess" thing is Hasbro-mandated, because "oh no queens are supposed to be EEEEEEVIL". Lauren Faust had intended to have Celestia be a queen.

Now, some embedded fan-art, because it's just that awesome:
mCrFn.jpg

More fan-artsy stuff:

"#3, take a look to your left, you are NOT gonna believe this."
Celestia, just chillin'
Fluttershy + butterflies
NNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

Pollux

Myke Greywolf said:
Even if Celestia is a goddess, that doesn't mean that she has always been one, and even if she lived for 1,000 years, it doesn't mean she's immortal. If Celestia and Luna are royalty as well, this means some kind of succession mechanism must be present, don't you think?

The whole "princess" thing is Hasbro-mandated, because "oh no queens are supposed to be EEEEEEVIL". Lauren Faust had intended to have Celestia be a queen.

I don't think its Hasbro, b/c almost every Queen in these kind of shows is the evil grandmother or some crap like that.

And as for Fluttershy, she is def. part of the government because there is no other way she can afford to take care of all the little animals, and I don't think they have anything like welfare in Ponyville or Equestria.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Juicy Bob said:
I am SO fucking tempted to take this Super Saiyan Pony avatar. And I'm not even a fan.
Please don't, it's reserved to Jintor, who only uses flaming creature avatars.

If you watch the show, I'm sure that you'll find all kinds of reasons to get one of the many other avatars that Foxix has kindly made available. :)

Juicy Bob said:
w5EX7.gif

I am SO fucking tempted to take this Super Saiyan Pony avatar. And I'm not even a fan.
Don't think that's for you, boy.

RiccochetJ said:
So Tested.com just posted this week's podcast:
Episode 57 - Friendship is Magic
Gary Whitta talks about it for about 15 seconds starting at 1:46:00 :D
He thinks the first episode looks awesome in HD

edit: It's a good tech podcast too btw.
LOL. I feel like he forced the word 'fucking' in there to sound more many while complimenting My Little Pony.

I don't think he's posted once in this thread though. Maybe he cares more about his GAF cred than his real life cred.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Anyway, you people do know what day is today, don't you?

aDJ4c.jpg

Today is episode 20, "Green Isn't Your Color", and spotlights are on
Rarity and Fluttershy
. This should be good.

Furret

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:

But if Celestia and Luna are royalty than why is there no bloodline for the succession?

And does that mean Twilight is training to be a god? No wonder she studies hard.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Furret said:
But if Celestia and Luna are royalty than why is there no bloodline for the succession?

And does that mean Twilight is training to be a god? No wonder she studies hard.

You do realize that we're almost reaching fan fiction levels of speculation here, don't you? Anyway, it's all in good fun, so here's my take on it.

Succession might happen by designation. We don't know of the royal sisters having any relatives (other than Rarity's ridiculous fantasy in "Ticket Master" - I wouldn't put a lot of faith on that one), which is natural since they have lived so much longer than any other ponies. We also don't have any sign of them having offspring.

And I don't think Twilight is aware of whatever designs Celestia has put in place for her. That's not so strange, as we've already seen it in the pilot ("make some friends!"). She's just a studious pony.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Your Excellency said:
Comment on this:
ill eat anything but people.

real animals arent people.

Smision said:
Not trolling, but this is kinda surreal, to see all you guys get into My Little Pony. Do you have a leader? A manifesto of some sort?
FIRST RULE OF FOXIX'S HERD, DO NOT NOT TALK ABOUT FOXIX'S HERD.

wsippel

Banned
Smision said:
Not trolling, but this is kinda surreal, to see all you guys get into My Little Pony. Do you have a leader? A manifesto of some sort?
We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week. But all the decision of that officer have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting. By a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs, but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more...

Who was it that was going to do the traveling pony email? Did you pick a name yet because I had an idea. Mail service + ponies = The Pony Express. Or if you wanted to change it for the fans: The Brony Express. Someone out there may have already thought of this but I thought I'd share.

curiouswitch

Neo Member
Confused101 said:
Who was it that was going to do the traveling pony email? Did you pick a name yet because I had an idea. Mail service + ponies = The Pony Express. Or if you wanted to change it for the fans: The Brony Express. Someone out there may have already thought of this but I thought I'd share.

I like Brony Express cause it's geeky - but as a girl it doesn't apply to me

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
wsippel said:
We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week. But all the decision of that officer have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting. By a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs, but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more...

Yep. No watery tarts throwing swords around here.

Koomaster

Myke Greywolf said:
You do realize that we're almost reaching fan fiction levels of speculation here, don't you? Anyway, it's all in good fun, so here's my take on it.

Succession might happen by designation. We don't know of the royal sisters having any relatives (other than Rarity's ridiculous fantasy in "Ticket Master" - I wouldn't put a lot of faith on that one), which is natural since they have lived so much longer than any other ponies. We also don't have any sign of them having offspring.

And I don't think Twilight is aware of whatever designs Celestia has put in place for her. That's not so strange, as we've already seen it in the pilot ("make some friends!"). She's just a studious pony.
Perhaps Twilight is one of several ponies being groomed to rule? Again from the pilot, the opening scene we see Twilight and some other ponies on the royal grounds talking about a party. Oddly all of them are unicorns. Seems they are all studying under Celestia for some reason. It can't be just magic studies as not every unicorn studies magic with the princess.

Maybe only a unicorn can become princess. Have to be extremely proficient in magic in order to raise the sun/moon. Plus we see that Twilight can make some form of wings, perhaps there is an advanced spell which will make permanent Pegasus wings? Princess has to represent all forms of pony citizens.

Also going WAY back to the 80's toyline, there was a line of princess ponies which included small dragon companions (like Spike). Perhaps all the ponies under Celestia's tutelage have their own dragons and converse back and forth with the princess? They are basically princesses in training.

Again, all in good fun, but that's my speculation. :p

curiouswitch said:
I like Brony Express cause it's geeky - but as a girl it doesn't apply to me
I thought the term Brony was a general term for the fans even though 'bro' is obviously a male reference. Could've swore I read somewhere that it works for both. Ah well. :)

Bronies before honies. :) My apologies... I couldn't resist.

Furret

Banned
Koomaster said:
Perhaps Twilight is one of several ponies being groomed to rule? Again from the pilot, the opening scene we see Twilight and some other ponies on the royal grounds talking about a party. Oddly all of them are unicorns. Seems they are all studying under Celestia for some reason. It can't be just magic studies as not every unicorn studies magic with the princess.

Maybe only a unicorn can become princess. Have to be extremely proficient in magic in order to raise the sun/moon. Plus we see that Twilight can make some form of wings, perhaps there is an advanced spell which will make permanent Pegasus wings? Princess has to represent all forms of pony citizens.

Also going WAY back to the 80's toyline, there was a line of princess ponies which included small dragon companions (like Spike). Perhaps all the ponies under Celestia's tutelage have their own dragons and converse back and forth with the princess? They are basically princesses in training.

Again, all in good fun, but that's my speculation. :p

But Celestia has wings as well - she's a combination of all three pony types.

She's clearly an entirely different creature to the others and I'd guess she's meant to be functionally immortal.

You can't have an appointed royalty, that defeats the whole point.

So I assume that she an Luna are either uniquely supernatural or part of some sort of ruling clique of advanced beings.

I don't see how Twilight can become one of them, unless she's going to evolve Pokemon/Dave Bowman style.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Myke Greywolf said:
Also; Two weeks ago, shortly after I passed the pony bug onto my wife, she asked me to buy one of these for her:

I had it made at Zazzle. Hasn't arrived yet, but you know how international shipping can be.

I'm still thinking of what I'm gonna put on mine.
Shirt arrived after two weeks. They sent the wrong model. FML.

Koomaster

Furret said:
But Celestia has wings as well - she's a combination of all three pony types.

She's clearly an entirely different creature to the others and I'd guess she's meant to be functionally immortal.

You can't have an appointed royalty, that defeats the whole point.

So I assume that she an Luna are either uniquely supernatural or part of some sort of ruling clique of advanced beings.

I don't see how Twilight can become one of them, unless she's going to evolve Pokemon/Dave Bowman style.
That's what I was saying, maybe she didn't always have wings; perhaps there is some magic which will give a pony Pegasus wings. We've already seen Twilight create temporary wings for Rarity.

All the lore we've seen is that there were two sisters who ruled Equestria. It didn't say they created it or anything else, just that they ruled and controlled the sun/moon. They may have long lifespans (at least over 1,000 years), but it's not necessary that they are immortal or supernatural. For all we know their crowns bestow upon them longer life.

Perhaps there is need for other princesses as Equestria grows; or at least some form of royalty figure for different areas. If we ever get to the Grand Galloping Gala they've been mentioning in several episodes, maybe we will see more about different royalty figures.

Koomaster

Not A Fur said:
That would be BULLSHIT if only a unicorn could become princess.

I refuse to accept that.
Or maybe the ruling princess could somehow make a worthy pony a unicorn? Seems weird tho, they wouldn't know how to use magic or anything. How would they control the sun or anything else? Sounds like a recipe for chaos. From the handful of ponies we saw on the palace grounds, they are all unicorns.

Any pony can learn to fly it seems; Rarity picked it up pretty fast. But not everypony can so quickly learn magic. Twilight is still studying it and makes mistakes herself.

Confused101 said:

That. Is. Perfect. The_Brony_Express@gmail.com it is. Thanks so much, Confused101!

wsippel said:

I thought we were an autonomous collective. ;)

Koomaster said:
Or maybe the ruling princess could somehow make a worthy pony a unicorn? Seems weird tho, they wouldn't know how to use magic or anything. How would they control the sun or anything else? Sounds like a recipe for chaos. From the handful of ponies we saw on the palace grounds, they are all unicorns.

Any pony can learn to fly it seems; Rarity picked it up pretty fast. But not everypony can so quickly learn magic. Twilight is still studying it and makes mistakes herself.

Maybe Celestia is considering moving on from an oligarchy and is encouraging Twilight to have friends as a sort of beta test for a parliament? Or at least a president / cabinet structure. There does seem to be a strong series theme on working together, and civic engagement (re Winter Wrap Up). Twilight has strong organizational skills so I think she definitely has a special part but I can't see the show being like "see, if you utilize your friends efficiently, you too can rise to ABSOLUTE POWER OVER THE SUN AND MOON"

Anyway, I think Celestia is gonna be around forever. I can't imagine anyone dying in this universe, that would be terrible. :( Even Applejack's grandma is still kickin'.

KtSlime

Furret said:
Watched Suited for Success last night and it was great.

The whole sequence where they're waiting outside Rarity's shop as she has a breakdown has some really great lines in it.

But has anyone noticed how Equestria seems to have quite a harsh economic climate?

Apple Jack seems to be permanently on the breadline, Rarity has faced financial ruin, Pinkie Pie has to work in a bakery, and even Rainbow Dash seems to have to hold down a job getting rid of clouds.

I'm not clear whether Fluttershy has a proper job but Twilight is clearly from some sort of bureaucratic elite and seems to be on a government training scheme - complete with a huge grace and favour home.

Yeah, Ponytics is a popular topic among fans. I believe they are in a caste system with a rudimentary free market - That said, I think the matter probably is more deserving of a paper rather than a short forum post, so I'm not going to go too into it.

Koomaster: I'm so jelly. I want the hub.

Whogie

jobber said:
I want HUBHD. Watching this on a large tv in standard def ain't cool.
Same. Especially since it's in widescreen, but the TV still plays it in 4:3 so it's tiny.
I'm recording it on TV to be safe, but I'll hold out for the 1080p YouTube.

jobber said:
I want HUBHD. Watching this on a large tv in standard def ain't cool.
At least you can watch it when it airs! :(

ivedoneyourmom have you got any plans to elaborate on your views / theories on Equestria's economy? Sounds like it would be a great read.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
So jealous of people who actually get to see it when it airs...

The few lamps I caught were no good.

Now begins the torture of waiting for the Youtube upload.

Koomaster

LMAO! Funniest episode to date!

Zip my mouth, lock it with a key, bury the key in the ground, build a house overtop of it, then move into the house. OBVIOUSLY!

My god, Pinkie Pie is really a comedy genius. And her popping out of the sponges, lol. I was laughing practically the whole episode.

Then Fluttershy's last runway walk; lol.

Pretty much the best episode! :D :D :D :D :D

KtSlime

Mechanical Snowman said:
At least you can watch it when it airs! :(

ivedoneyourmom have you got any plans to elaborate on your views / theories on Equestria's economy? Sounds like it would be a great read.

I'm going to save it for the downtime between seasons 1 and 2 - so I have something pony to do. I have been thinking about it quite a bit though.

Your Excellency: I've been a vegetarian for nearly 12 years now, however in the US we have pretty strict laws about using horses/ponies as sources of fur and meat anyway - but if someone did want to use horses for fur/meat I am not opposed any more than I oppose it for other animals (personal choice). I can separate reality from fiction. ;)

zmoney: It's been confirmed by the creator (Lauren Faust) that Hasbro did not allow her to use the term Queen for Celestia due to public perception of the term being perverted by Disney over time, and due to Princess sounding much more youthful.

Not A Fur: Even if Twilight is not being trained to be princess, it could be that she is a contingency plan for if something was to happen Celestia, someone still needs to raise the Sun, and even if Twilight herself does not have the power alone, she seems to be able to tap into a deeper magic source from the power of friendship and wield that, like she did in episode 2 - which was being manipulated by Celestia behind the scenes the entire time. It's pretty obvious that she is training Twilight for a very specific purpose with a very specific skill set, as well as keeping her under constant supervision. I highly suspect we will find out more about this intention with the season finale.

Anyone have a digital TV tuner card? Can we set up live streaming in the next 2 weeks before the next episode airs? =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom