• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regulus Tera said:
Contrarian opinion: Winter Wrap Up was both a mediocre song and a mediocre episode.

i_say_thee_neigh-(n1290609773403).jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yes, quite. Though I also believe Twilight Sparkle is the least interesting main character, so I'm obviously biased against her episodes.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I just cannot buy into the theory that Twilight Sparkle's magic is now looked down upon, especially when it's been shown again and again that she solves the problems of everyone else in Ponyville like no other. It doesn't help that the "I cannot find my role" drama of hers is resolved in such a lame way. YAY WE CAN SUPERVISE AREN'T WE AWESOME

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Regulus Tera said:
I just cannot buy into the theory that Twilight Sparkle's magic is now looked down upon, especially when it's been shown again and again that she solves the problems of everyone else in Ponyville like no other. It doesn't help that the "I cannot find my role" drama of hers is resolved in such a lame way. YAY WE CAN SUPERVISE AREN'T WE AWESOME

Yeah, but there's one detail you're missing.

9xgdn.jpg

daffy

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Maybe not looked down upon, but perhaps somepony may feel they're lesser than her because she can solve everyponies' problems like no other. They might feel like less of a pony when they worked for hours to shake a tree full of apples and then Twilight comes around and does it in seconds flat.

Giving her the organizer role allows her to not use magic and at the same time make everypony be more efficient when it comes to wrapping up winter on time. She can make sure all ponies are perfectly in sync! I mean she is pretty smart, so she can use that skill to help organize Ponyville :D It is a stretch to believe though..

AniHawk

Angry Fork said:
What is it with Gaf and the weird little obsessions that pop up once every few weeks? And people share similar avatars, then move on to another obscure/random thing. And my little pony of all shows? What's next powerpuff girls.

We need some kind of power rangers/ninja turtles union to combat this.

genndy tartatovsky and craig mccracken worked on dexter's lab and powerpuff girls together. after those shows were over, tartatovsky made star wars: clone wars, and then samurai jack separately, and mccracken went on to do foster's home for imaginary friends with his wife, lauren faust. lauren faust also worked on powerpuff girls in the latter half of the series, and she's the creator of the new my little pony show.

meanwhile tartatovsky's come back with his own show, sym-bionic titan. it's picking up steam in ratings, but not as much in internets hype.

as far as 80s revivals go, thundercats is hitting in july and teenage mutant ninja turtles is back (again) next year.

and then next year is the last airbender: legend of korra, which is something everyone can enjoy. IT HAS LANCE HENRIKSON AND JK SIMMONS

samoset

I don't think it's that much of a stretch. The way they present Winter Wrap Up is as a cultural tradition where they follow the same rituals year after year. It is believable that if that tradition didn't develop with the use of magic that they may be against using it later.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
FTH said:
Maybe not looked down upon, but perhaps somepony may feel they're lesser than her because she can solve everyponies' problems like no other. They might feel like less of a pony when they worked for hours to shake a tree full of apples and then Twilight comes around and does it in seconds flat.

Giving her the organizer role allows her to not use magic and at the same time make everypony be more efficient when it comes to wrapping up winter on time. She can make sure all ponies are perfectly in sync! I mean she is pretty smart, so she can use that skill to help organize Ponyville :D It is a stretch to believe though..

Remember, it wasn't specifically HER magic that was forbidden. All magic was. Something about the town being founded by earth ponies, and so they do it without magic as tradition.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Regulus Tera said:
its not looked down upon, its just tradition that that particular problem is solved without magic.

karby

I've been checking this thread in lurk mode for a while. I really like the show. Faust and crew really do some top notch work with this.
Though, I never thought I'd find myself watching My Little Pony...again.

Also, Rarity:
3Z5fC.png

Shanadeus

Banned
karby said:
I've been checking this thread in lurk mode for a while. I really like the show. Faust and crew really do some top notch work with this.
Though, I never thought I'd find myself watching My Little Pony...again.

Also, Rarity:
3Z5fC.png
What's wrong with your face, Rarity?

awesome fan art!

i can't wait for the conventions and cosplay. I think you guys are on the cutting edge of freak-dom. Bronies are the new furries, mark it [even though they're kind of an offshoot of furry-dom.]

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Cwarrior said:
how do i apply a avatar on my account?

want pony avatar
Click on your nickname on the upper-right corner of the page, select "Edit Profile". Under "Additional Information", on "External Avatar Location", paste the avatar image URL.

FoxSpirit

Smision said:
awesome fan art!

i can't wait for the conventions and cosplay. I think you guys are on the cutting edge of freak-dom. Bronies are the new furries, mark it [even though they're kind of an offshoot of furry-dom.]

Please no. Seriously, if anyone in here considers doing this, no. Please.

FoxSpirit said:
Please no. Seriously, if anyone in here considers doing this, no. Please.

it must happen.

brony cosplay.

c'mon, you guys already love this show, you may as well dress up as the characters too. and post pictures.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Smision said:
RL5fv.png

Cwarrior said:
how do i apply a avatar on my account?

want pony avatar
user cp
first field under additional options.

just copy and paste your url with no

Narag

Smision said:
it must happen.

brony cosplay.

c'mon, you guys already love this show, you may as well dress up as the characters too. and post pictures.

By this logic, the forum should have collapsed under the weight of people showing pictures of themselves dressed as Helghast with halftucked tshirts.

Narag said:
By this logic, the forum should have collapsed under the weight of people showing pictures of themselves dressed as Helghast with halftucked tshirts.

yeah, but those things weren't My Little Pony.

This has "potential"

Koomaster

samoset said:
I don't think it's that much of a stretch. The way they present Winter Wrap Up is as a cultural tradition where they follow the same rituals year after year. It is believable that if that tradition didn't develop with the use of magic that they may be against using it later.
Yeah this pretty much. It's a tradition which not only helps improve teamwork and togetherness, but gets the ponies more in touch with the Eart...Equestria. They put in hard work to help the seasons change and are more appreciative of nature.

If they just used magic to do it; it wouldn't be nearly the same. Lots of ponies would be left out, everything would get done in about an hour, and nobody would put much thought into how nature operates. Everything would be taken for granted.

Twilight's song is very poignant because she's never thought about these issues before. How does she find her place when she thinks magic is all she's good at (reinforced by her magical cutie mark)? She's eager to help, but all the concepts are new to her, and a little bit scary.

Everyone feels this way at some point; fitting into a new school, new job, new club/sports team, etc. How do we contribute and make ourselves valuable to an already functioning ecosystem? Twilight spends the episode discovering the answer to this.

Koomaster

AceBandage said:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-u3ogzCs9twE/TYUW-7AnZoI/AAAAAAAACcY/26OGSczUHf0/s1600/flutteryshy_comic_by_yamino-d3bsi3d.jpg
What the heck is that last one; Forest Fire Pony? Don't play with matches kids!

Fluttershy is adorable!

TheLegendary said:
You fuckers caught Gary Whitta in your snare as well. I'll never forgive you.
The day he posts in this thread will be one of great conflict for non-PonyGAF. They will be torn between their hate for ponies and their love for Whitta.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Mechanical Snowman said:
The day he posts in this thread will be one of great conflict for non-PonyGAF. They will be torn between their hate for ponies and their love for Whitta.
This will probably have the same effect on them as Pinkie Pie drinking coffee.

Koomaster

Confused101 said:
It's Spring! Who remembered to wrap-up Winter yesterday?

If you forgot, then you better go hire Twilight Sparkle because you're late!
I posted the video on facebook yesterday morning to remind everyone. Spring is all wrapped up here. There are a few errant clouds, but they seem to be passing quickly. Also dandelions growing all over my yard, big sign that Spring Is Here!

Shanadeus

Banned
dream said:
And doing their hair.

Grown men are talking about buying pony dolls and STYLING THEIR HAIR.
Would it be better if it was grown women talking about buying pony dolls and styling their hair?

Just something to think of.

AniHawk said:
genndy tartatovsky and craig mccracken worked on dexter's lab and powerpuff girls together. after those shows were over, tartatovsky made star wars: clone wars, and then samurai jack separately, and mccracken went on to do foster's home for imaginary friends with his wife, lauren faust. lauren faust also worked on powerpuff girls in the latter half of the series, and she's the creator of the new my little pony show.

Also would like to point out that MLP has got Rob Renzetti (creator of My Life As A Teenage Robot, also directed a lot of Dexter's Lab episodes) on board. Paul Rudish who worked as a Storyboard artist with Tartatovsky is a designer, and then several writers from classic CN shows also contribute. Hell the writer for Feeling Pinkie Keen worked on South Park. SOUTH PARK. The show's got a LOT of talent behind it.

Neki

Watched Episodes 3 and 4 and Pinkie is probably my favourite pony, she's hilarious. I love any scene with her, must be her ridiculousness.

karby

Just caught the latest episode. It's the best one by far, imo. I love how Pinkie manages to hilariously steal every scene she's in, especially when the focus of the episode is supposed to be on Fluttershy/Rarity. Pinkie really shines in this one. I think she a fast runner for displacing Rarity as my favorite. :D

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Uchip said:
I thought rainbow dash was supposed to be a dude when i first saw it
it cant just be me

She's certainly very boyish, but any confusion only lasts until you see what male ponies are supposed to look like.

But yeah, I see where you're coming from. Shipping fans love this ambiguity, of course. All the better for the shippers.

FoxSpirit

Uchip said:
I thought rainbow dash was supposed to be a dude when i first saw it
it cant just be me

Never was confused. Simply is the tomboy.
And I'm someone who had a female singer confused for a male for 20 years, thorugh all her songs!!
Sometimes of course I was slightly puzzled over text passages like "gently take me into your arms, and for some time I'll be just a woman" but I never thought much about it :p

Btw, did we already have this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsCHIKTRYRk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom