• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

Confused101 said:
At first I thought he was talking about Fluttershy's lullaby. I completely forgot about Flutterguy's song. Shame on me.

And I'm going to chime in on the RD vs AJ competition debate. I feel AJ was justified in her cheating accusations. To put it in simplest terms, RD has wings and AJ does not. How is this any kinds of equal? Does it make RD a better athlete? Questionable. Does it mean she has more versatility? Absolutely. AJ definitely had RD beat in a few of those events but RD's wings gave her a huge advantage. Also, they're both sore losers but at least AJ had a reason to be upset. Let me know if I'm totally off base. It's early. :lol

Did that chat marathon thing ever get resolved? I'd love to pop in for a bit and check that out.

it'd be like getting upset that you lost to someone in a foot race because you were only born with one leg and he has two legs, and then you demanding that he do everything with one leg, that doesn't make sense does it. not sure how you can get mad at someone using their innate skills and traits to win, AJ was well aware that Rainbow Dash has wings and it'd be stupid for Rainbow Dash not to use them in most cases.

duckroll

Rainbow Dash is a natural competitor and generally less mature. Applejack should know better than to push her buttons to try and prove that she's better. It's easier to overlook Rainbow Dash doing all the things she does because it's generally more in character, but Applejack is definitely somepony who is more familiar with how things work, and should know better than to escalate things to that point.

Koomaster said:
Speaking of, does anyone know of a reputable site with wallpapers from the show? Last time I tried to look up such a thing the website was filled with all kinds of bad stuff that set off my virus detectors. ~_____~ Don't want to risk that again.
I've actually been collecting a few, I was going to wait until I had some more before doing a mass upload but I may as well do it now. I don't know of any safe place with a large collection, all the ones I got were from NSFW sites with no rules on content.

Does anyone know of an image upload site with no image resolution caps? TinyPic re-sizes large images.

duckroll

Mechanical Snowman said:
I've actually been collecting a few, I was going to wait until I had some more before doing a mass upload but I may as well do it now.

Does anyone know of an image upload site with no image resolution caps? TinyPic re-sizes large images.

How about http://imgur.com/

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Rybbn.jpg

Xisiqomelir

Wow, I know I was getting LTTP to shit as I spent more time at the office, but there's a new MLP and I didn't know? Craziness.

Looking forward to rocking 5 or 6 eps tonight if it's good.

Also, the hate you guys are drawing is hilarious. Even if the show turns out not to be my thing (and I like Zettai Karen Children so that is an unlikely outcome), you have my full GAF-support just for pissing off dudebros.

Confused101 said:
At first I thought he was talking about Fluttershy's lullaby. I completely forgot about Flutterguy's song. Shame on me.

And I'm going to chime in on the RD vs AJ competition debate. I feel AJ was justified in her cheating accusations. To put it in simplest terms, RD has wings and AJ does not. How is this any kinds of equal? Does it make RD a better athlete? Questionable. Does it mean she has more versatility? Absolutely. AJ definitely had RD beat in a few of those events but RD's wings gave her a huge advantage. Also, they're both sore losers but at least AJ had a reason to be upset. Let me know if I'm totally off base. It's early. :lol

To put it in the simplest terms, Applejack has been preparing all her life for land-based athletics and Dash hasn't. How is that any kind of equal? How can it be fair to expect her to match Applejack's leg strength given her profession? Or her skill with a rope given her experience there? For shame! If AJ had any honor, she would have foregone the use of her tail when using the rope in the interests of fair competition!

Myke Greywolf said:
It's obvious, from the events used, that the whole "iron pony" competition was designed to compare pony fitness without bringing wings into the equation.

I don't think that's at all obvious, given the lack of an explicit rule about it and the presence of an equal number of events that play to AJ's strengths. Come on, RD has about the same chance of beating AJ at the leg strength or rope skill challenges as AJ has at beating her at the long jump with the use of wings.

And that's why the analogy to wheelchair basketball falls flat: it's acknowledged that to the extent that the players do have functioning legs, they've agreed to forego their use for the competition, which was neither explicit nor anywhere near as implicitly clear as the other side is making it out to be. I think it should be immediately obvious why asking one contestant but not the other to forego their greatest strength would undermine the stated purpose of the competition, to find the better athlete.

I dunno, I'm still on AJ's side on this one. I didn't really see it as AJ being disabled because she doesn't have wings. I saw it more as bringing a motorcycle to a foot race. Dash is most certainly the most immature out of the group but I like to think AJ gave her the benefit of the doubt that she would keep things on even ground and learn to lose gracefully. That sure didn't happen.

I don't like losing either. No, I HATE losing but I'm really big on playing fair and RD simply didn't do that. It was not spoken, but I, just like AJ, thought it was implied that they were to stick to the ground considering that's the only choice AJ has.

So, all in all, I'm happy with the way the episode played out. AJ echoed my feelings exactly, haha. The only thing I disagreed with was having AJ lose the arm wrestling match. I'm sorry, but as far as pure strength is concerned, AJ wins in that aspect. Especially against Dash when she barely uses her legs and AJ has been working a farm and hauling apples her entire life.

Neki

ponys don't even have arms so it didn't make any sense. :p it would be bringing a motorcycle to a foot race, under the assumption that this person's motorcycle was attached to the hip of said person and the person has used it their entire life and it would be detrimental for them not to use it because they haven't done it any other way. basically telling them that their only way of traveling (the motorcycle) would be cheating, even though that's all they've ever done with it, lol.

duckroll

Look, I think if you look at just the foot race, it's being really narrow minded. The episode was about a lot more than that, and on a whole the fact is that Applejack should have known better. She was basically encouraging the escalation of the competition while trying to fit the specifics of the competition on her terms. It's silly and pointless.

Confused101 said:
I dunno, I'm still on AJ's side on this one. I didn't really see it as AJ being disabled because she doesn't have wings. I saw it more as bringing a motorcycle to a foot race. Dash is most certainly the most immature out of the group but I like to think AJ gave her the benefit of the doubt that she would keep things on even ground and learn to lose gracefully. That sure didn't happen.

Except Dash's wings is not an artificial advantage brought in from outside the competition. They're part of her biology. They're attached, ferchrissakes. They're further integral to Dash's style as an athlete. They're no more artifical than the strength or height any other athlete brings to the table.

And I think that's why the whole exchange rubbed me the wrong way, this attitude of treating a clear product of innate gift and skill as something outside the bounds of fair competition. It indicates a meanness of spirit, an unwillingness to rejoice in the excellence of others when you don't share their gifts. When your first impulse is to discredit what is clearly innate as artificial- it says a lot about your character as an athlete, and not in a good way. Applejack couldn't accept that Dash had been endowed with greater gifts than she, but the complete opposite is the case of RD. She wasn't complaining aobut innate Earth Pony strength in the leg strength contest, and instead of complaining about that innate advantage in the bull riding competition, she buckled down, played smart, and managed to find a way to steal the victory. And that's why RD has better sportsmanship than AJ- whatever else you can say of her churlish behavior later in the episode, she did not violate the cardinal rule of respecting the greatness of her opponent.

Amibguous Cad said:
To put it in the simplest terms, Applejack has been preparing all her life for land-based athletics and Dash hasn't. How is that any kind of equal? How can it be fair to expect her to match Applejack's leg strength given her profession?
That's kind of the whole idea. AJ knew she had Dash beat and wanted to prove it to her. The fairness comes in with how they used their ability. On an equal playing ground, AJ wins the tug of war and wins the long jump but Dash used and unequal advantage to take those events instead. I see what you're saying though. It's like taking taking a golfer and telling him to play football. But in that analogy, you have to admit that a football player would be better at football than the golfer is at football and that's the point that AJ wanted to get across. I hope that made some sort of sense.

Amibguous Cad said:
Or her skill with a rope given her experience there? For shame! If AJ had any honor, she would have foregone the use of her tail when using the rope in the interests of fair competition!
I actually agree with this. That was tailored to AJ and everyone knew it. Again, AJ had an unequal advantage in this event because, as far as we know, Dash doesn't have control over her tail like AJ does. I don't think anypony can use their tail like AJ does actually.

e_i

I used to like Fluttershy...but now I realize that Pinky Pie is the shit. She really is the best character in the show. I used to find her annoying, but she's grown on me.

duckroll

Actually, Applejack would have won the Tug-of-war if she wasn't stupid. She lost because she opened her mouth to say something dumb and dropped the rope. If she had hung on to it, gravity would eventually hand her the victory, since it's easier for her to tug downwards with Rainbow Dash flying on top (and essentially having to carry Applejack's entire weight on the rope).

Confused101 said:
That's kind of the whole idea. AJ knew she had Dash beat and wanted to prove it to her. The fairness comes in with how they used their ability. On an equal playing ground, AJ wins the tug of war and wins the long jump but Dash used and unequal advantage to take those events instead. I see what you're saying though. It's like taking taking a golfer and telling him to play football. But in that analogy, you have to admit that a football player would be better at football than the golfer is at football and that's the point that AJ wanted to get across. I hope that made some sort of sense.

This still doesn't make sense. AJ's greater strength is a fair advantage, RD's wings are unfair advantage- why?

The better analogy would be taking a basketball player, putting him on a football field, and then magically shortening him by a foot so he's more like the other football players.

daffy

Banned
sumo390 said:
So I just watched Winter Wrap Up and I can't stop playing the song over and over and over and over. And before that it was Pinkie's fear song. And before that it was the intro theme. Why is everything so catchy?
Just wait until you watch Suited for Success (E14). You will be sucked.

Mechanical Snowman with the wallpaper win :D

duckroll said:
Actually, Applejack would have won the Tug-of-war if she wasn't stupid. She lost because she opened her mouth to say something dumb and dropped the rope. If she had hung on to it, gravity would eventually hand her the victory, since it's easier for her to tug downwards with Rainbow Dash flying on top (and essentially having to carry Applejack's entire weight on the rope).
Lol, Rainbowdash carried 3 male ponies and Rarity while flying at near mach 1.

I think this debate is silly anyway. They were both wrong to be so competitive, which they learned at the end. All the competitions were biased towards 1 pony or the other.

J-Rod

RB clearly cheated in the long jump. It's a jump, not a fly. That would be like someone using their hands in football. If everyone is allowed to cheat, TS is obviously the best athlete by miles, despite being described as a little pony.

duckroll

Mechanical Snowman said:
Lol, Rainbowdash carried 3 male ponies and Rarity while flying at near mach 1.

The speed actually -helps- in a case like that though. In a tug of war, she's not using any sort of momentum at all to help, she's basically floating in the air and lifting Applejack off the ground. That's the most stupid strategy in a tug of war ever. It gives her no real advantage whatsoever, except the ability to distract Applejack and have her let go of the rope by talking. Lulz.

duckroll said:
The speed actually -helps- in a case like that though. In a tug of war, she's not using any sort of momentum at all to help, she's basically floating in the air and lifting Applejack off the ground. That's the most stupid strategy in a tug of war ever. It gives her no real advantage whatsoever, except the ability to distract Applejack and have her let go of the rope by talking. Lulz.
Well it's not like there were any rules in the competition, so Rainbow could have just dipped Applejack in the mud while she had her dangling from the rope and it would still probably have counted.

I think this discussion is getting further and further from the main point.. whatever that was.

G-Fex said:
Finished Winter Wrap Up. Good stuff.
What was your favourite part? Mine was where Pinkie skated on her head.

Amibguous Cad said:
This still doesn't make sense. AJ's greater strength is a fair advantage, RD's wings are unfair advantage- why?
Because AJ doesn't have wings? RD could match AJ's strength over time if she really wanted to. AJ will NEVER be able to fly though.

AJ wanted to prove that she was best on the ground because it's impossible for her to do so in the air. When Dash takes to the skies, you don't see that as being a little unbalanced?

Okay, this is the last thing I'll say on the subject. AJ has to obey the laws of gravity while RD does not. Therefore it is impossible to compare their ability in a fair manner.

I'm still on AJ's side though. :lol :D

G-Fex

Mechanical Snowman said:
Well it's not like there were any rules in the competition, so Rainbow could have just dipped Applejack in the mud while she had her dangling from the rope and it would still probably have counted.

I think this discussion is getting further and further from the main point.. whatever that was.

What was your favourite part? Mine was where Pinkie skated on her head.

Seeing Twilight cry.

I mean...hearing derpy went the wrong way. Seeing Apple Jack get mad at Caramel for losing all his seeds, seeing that Rarity only made one birdhouse. And of course Pinkie pie skating.

And the musical sequence was amazing.

G-Fex said:
Seeing Twilight cry.
Ya big meanie. I felt so bad for her.

My favorite was probably Rarity crying and slamming her head into Twilight's condemned nest.

Wait, that probably doesn't make me any better. :lol

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Mechanical Snowman said:
The point was that Rainbow Dash is my least favorite character due to her being a selfish immature pony who seriously needs somepony to feed her a horse-portion of the humbles.

My favorite thing about Winter Wrap-Up was when Fluttershy was teaching Twilight how to wake up the badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, and then Twilight was all SNAKE, SNAKE, IT'S A SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

Sorry, 2003, I'll give you your meme back now.

Confused101 said:
Ya big meanie. I felt so bad for her.

My favorite was probably Rarity crying and slamming her head into Twilight's condemned nest.

Wait, that probably doesn't make me any better. :lol
I felt bad too but Spike was awesome in that episode,

"Twilight, just use magic everything will be so much faster!!!"

"WHAT YOU USED MAGIC? I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT SHIT"

Trollface has never been more appropriate.

Myke Greywolf said:
The point was that Rainbow Dash is my least favorite character due to her being a selfish immature pony who seriously needs somepony to feed her a horse-portion of the humbles.
Totally agree. I know it's only the 3rd episode in, but her true colours really come through in the Ticket Master. First of all, she only wants to go so she can show off and become famous, whereas Applejack wants to go to help other people in her family, and then she doesn't even learn her lesson when everypony else had after making Twilight feel bad.

duckroll

Mechanical Snowman said:
Totally agree. I know it's only the 3rd episode in, but her true colours really come through in the Ticket Master. First of all, she only wants to go so she can show off and become famous, whereas Applejack wants to go to help other people in her family, and then she doesn't even learn her lesson when everypony else had after making Twilight feel bad.

I don't see how Rarity and Pinkie-Pie were any better honestly. Lulz.

G-Fex

duckroll said:

Pinkie Pie just wanted to party innocently. Rarity wanted to meet destiny in the shape of a male Unicorn then get married, etc etc.

duckroll said:
Don't forget Fluttershy.

And all of them were better in that they apologised for making Twilight feel bad, Rainbow didn't take the hint. It just seems to taker her longer than everyone else to discover she's being insensitive because she puts herself first.

Koomaster said:
WOW! Thanks so much for these! Now I just have to choose one! :D
You're welcome, I'll probably re-do my desktop with the Fluttershy garden one. Might even post it in the April desktop thread if I'm feeling brave enough :p

Koomaster

Mechanical Snowman said:
Applejack is really obsessed to the point of madness about her farm being profitable. Kinda silly since it seems to be the main source of food for everyone in Ponyville, I think she should be financially secure enough to not worry about it's success business wise.

The only one who should be concerned about her business is Rarity as fashions seem to only be worn on very special occasions or by ponies in high society. Even Celestia only wears some bracelets and a tiara. Actually you would think Rarity would wear her own designs daily to promote herself. :p

G-Fex

duckroll said:
Those are equally selfish and stupid reasons. :p

but...pinkie pie isn't selfish :(

I thought Rarity would be but Rarity is quite sweet. She's even real nice to her little sister.

Plus she was all nice to Fluttershy in the model episode.

duckroll

G-Fex said:
but...pinkie pie isn't selfish :(

I thought Rarity would be but Rarity is quite sweet. She's even real nice to her little sister.

Plus she was all nice to Fluttershy in the model episode.

I was actually surprised Fluttershy knew so much about fashion. Pretty shocking honestly.

Koomaster

duckroll said:
I was actually surprised Fluttershy knew so much about fashion. Pretty shocking honestly.
Well from the other episode, seems Fluttershy and Rarity are close friends, what with their spa dates. Maybe it rubbed off and Fluttershy became interested in fashion and learned about it to have something to discuss with Rarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom