• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanadeus

Banned
CHEEZMO™ said:
Stop telling them about our inner workings.

It's not helping.
It's really not a secret, everyone can enter this thread and see everything we're talking about. But you made me wonder if me mentioning the commandments constitute breaking one:

The ten commandments of Pony-GAF

1 - Thou shalt not post Rule 34 material.
2 - Thou shalt not post any kind of shipping material, however innocent it may be.
3 - Thou shalt not post any furry-reminiscent material, however harmless it may appear.
4 - Thou shalt not respond to trolls.
5 - Thou shalt not spam pony-related materials in other threads.
6 - Thou shalt not derail pony-related conversations with unrelated matters.
7 - Thou shalt not mock a fellow brony for their motives, stance or opinion, for that is the troll's way.
8 - Thou shalt mark thy episode-related spoilers with spoiler tags for three full days after the first air date.

Hmm, don't think so.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Shanadeus said:
It's really not a secret, everyone can enter this thread and see everything we're talking about.
But they never will, lest they turn.

It's the supreme irony of the Pony-hate fad.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
ruby_onix said:
I think you came to the wrong conclusions from that episode. Neither one was cheating, unless you consider wings to be inherently cheating, but Applejack spends all her time training her legs, while Rainbow Dash trains her wings. Both of them very evenly started to get angry over nothing, and evenly escalated into a full-on fight. I think the writers went out of their way to show that neither and both of them were at fault for the fight.

RD likes to compete and she likes to win, but she also likes to play and she's willing to lose if she's playing. But she also has her limits and she doesn't like it if she's just playing a game and someone's seriously trying to beat her.

In the first scene of the episode, RD is winning at horseshoes, and AJ picks up RD's shoe and sets it on top of her nose. RD plays along with the silliness and tries to shoot from that position, and can't hit the side of a barn. Then AJ wins from behind and it bugs RD, and AJ starts talking like it was a serious win.

Then when the contests start, RD deliberately holds back and doesn't use her wings, even though nobody ever asked her to do that. She runs the first race without the benefit of her wings and loses, and even admits that AJ is faster, but Spike gives her the win on skill, because AJ took a penalty. AJ goes on to mostly win contests that are slanted in her favor, but RD surprisingly wins enough random skill victories to keep the game tied.

At the halfway point, RD very obviously uses her wings (no-hand push-ups), but AJ says nothing about it. This prompts RD to use her wings again and again, but she's using them in a very taunting fashion. RD is pushing AJ to say something about the wings. She wants AJ to recognize that she was holding back because it's just a game. But AJ won't say anything, because by now she thinks it's a real competition and she thinks she can beat RD, even with her wings (wings for example, wouldn't have helped RD smash the strength meter). AJ kind of has a problem with that. She thinks she can outrace Rainbow Dash. She thinks she can out-trick Trixie. She thinks she can harvest an orchard by herself. She's good, but she doesn't accept her limits.

RD keeps poking away at AJ's bottled emotions until AJ explodes and accuses RD of being a cheater, and they start the final contest/fight in bad faith.
Now, come on! When the horseshoe throwing ends, it's AJ who says "It's all in good fun!". Dash was the one who was taking it too seriously - just listen to the way she says "I hate losing" - and afterwards, she's the one who challenges AJ to the iron pony competition, because she thinks it will invalidate AJ's win.

During the iron pony competition, some of those contests were extremely slanted towards a pony with wings. If Rainbow Dash had any dignity, she wouldn't have used them in the long jump and tug of war events. Even Fluttershy would have won against Applejack on those, since wings are an unfair advantage. AJ just keeps quiet, because she is one stubborn pony who still thinks she can turn it around somehow, despite her disadvantage. Of course, when the iron pony competition ends, AJ is bitter because she lost and finally spits it all out with righteous indignation.

During the race, when AJ trips, she is willing to give Dash the benefit of the doubt (although it takes Twilight's talk for her to do so). Nevertheless, when exactly the same happens to Dash, she's quick to start cheating as "retribution" for something that AJ obviously didn't do - but it's just too convenient a "casus belli" in her mind to let it go, and a pretext to let her do whatever the hell it takes to win ("the rules have changed, and two can play that game").

From there on, it's just the snowball effect all the way to the end. But Dash did start it.

Shanadeus

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
Now, come on! When the horseshoe throwing ends, it's AJ who says "It's all in good fun!". Dash was the one who was taking it too seriously - just listen to the way she says "I hate losing" - and afterwards, she's the one who challenges AJ to the iron pony competition, because she thinks it will invalidate AJ's win.

During the iron pony competition, some of those contests were extremely slanted towards a pony with wings. If Rainbow Dash had any dignity, she wouldn't have used them in the long jump and tug of war events. Even Fluttershy would have won against Applejack on those, since wings are an unfair advantage. AJ just keeps quiet, because she is one stubborn pony who still thinks she can turn it around somehow, despite her disadvantage. Of course, when the iron pony competition ends, AJ is bitter because she lost and finally spits it all out with righteous indignation.

During the race, when AJ trips, she is willing to give Dash the benefit of the doubt (although it takes Twilight's talk for her to do so). Nevertheless, when exactly the same happens to Dash, she's quick to start cheating as "retribution" for something that AJ obviously didn't do - but it's just too convenient a "casus belli" in her mind to let it go, and a pretext to let her do whatever the hell it takes to win ("the rules have changed, and two can play that game").

From there on, it's just the snowball effect all the way to the end. But Dash did start it.
This is how I see it.

Jintor

I would advise just staying out of it, really. They go mad enough on their own without anybody egging them on. Also, egging them on is probably not a good idea.

Cheerilee

Myke Greywolf said:
She did say that she hated losing, and she didn't give AJ's perfect shot nearly the respect it deserved. Maybe she was mad at herself for throwing the game too early, I don't know. But AJ was rubbing her nose in it a little afterward, when RD's second shot obviously wasn't serious.

And RD was perfectly gracious when she thought she lost the first iron pony race.

Are you saying that a hog-tying contest wasn't extremely slanted? Or the kick-strength test? And in the tug-of-war, flying wasn't an advantage, it just negated AJ's leg strength advantage, and made the contest entirely a matter of bite grip. RD was actually at a disadvantage because she had to work her wings. Then RD simply tricked AJ into talking. Kicking Spike off was another event that you'd think would be in AJ's favor, but RD shook him off smartly instead of using brute force.

I maintain that Rainbow Dash's wings aren't cheating, they're just part of who she is. She held back to make things fun, but Applejack was getting serious, so Rainbow Dash started teasing.

Dash was forced to race with her wings tied. Of course she's going to be slightly angrier from the outset. And all she did when she got angrier and "the rules changed" was an annoying branch snap. AJ retaliated by attacking her with bees. Both of them were guilty of very minor escalations. RD didn't just decide on one-sided cheating.

Myke Greywolf said:
During the iron pony competition, some of those contests were extremely slanted towards a pony with wings. If Rainbow Dash had any dignity, she wouldn't have used them in the long jump and tug of war events.

Dude, what. Basketball is extremely slanted towards someone with height; I suppose someone seven feet tall will squat when playing against me if they have any dignity!

We're all blessed with varying amounts of genetic awesomeness in athletics. RD's wings are a definite advantage, but no more so than height, weight, or strength. AJ was entirely unreasonable to expect their exclusion, and it reflects poorly on her that she expects her friend to handicap herself and call it fair competition. Doubly so since RD's training was presumably largely based around her wings, giving AJ a big advantage in land-based athletics- but you didn't see Dash complaining that the leg strength test was unfairly slanted towards Applejack owing to her profession. In the end, AJ was a sore loser; she was resentful of her friend's ability, and instead of graciously accepting defeat, protested that her friend's ability was an unfair advantage. While Dash's behavior during the race was not good, it's at least mitigated by her justified irritation at the way things had played out.

I will note that Applejack's already established tendency to use underhanded tactics, undermining the legitimacy of the victory by cynically playing martyr where it was clearly unjustified, makes Dash's suspicions of cheating far more plausible than Applejack's would be.

wsippel

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
Never specifically mentioned. But I edited links to the (indirect) mentions to France and the Netherlands into my previous post (spoilers if you haven't seen "Suited for Success").
(Badly done) German accent. "Wunderbar" is German, too. Even though it sounds quite funny to me, as the English accent is very noticeable.

So, would PonyGaf be up for a streaming marathon sometime later this week? Get all of us in a chat, watch some ponies and shoot the shit.

I'm pretty sure it's okay by the mod staff; at least the last one was clearly noticed by them (Amirox showed up), and it wasn't modded.

Nishastra

Banned
Hrrmph. My monitor died today, so it'll be a while before I can make any more avatars.

As such, here are all the NON-animated avatars I've made and am not using. I was going to wait until I had been through every episode with an avatar-toothed comb so I could release them all in one huge bunch, but oh well :p

cL250.png
cO24p.png
OUa08.png
gmAYF.png
Rx5b4.png
qHIUW.png
ckSD6.png
A725Y.png
lEo3r.png

0nYqn.png
bLJzp.png
CiiUH.png
SU9h0.png
5NE8b.png
M27tr.png
pLoVS.png
HjIRW.png
HjKG6.png

YnrUC.png
UPzFY.png
aLaMr.png
vSUCH.png
E4J3n.png
jf2pl.png

Dai101

Banned
Jintor said:
Yesterday's troll thread is still generating immeasurable amounts of lulz. It's become a five-sided crossfire between MLP haters, MLP lovers, trolls using MLP, people trolling both MLP lovers and haters, and reasonable people.

So, trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls ....

bananas

Banned
Dai101 said:
So, trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls ....

Don't forget the trolls that trolled the trolls that got trolled by the trolls for trolling trolls that trolled trolls.

Episode four down. :D That was pretty cute, though I think I liked episode three a bit better. The show has definitely gotten better since the premier.

daffy

Banned
Nishastra said:
Hrrmph. My monitor died today, so it'll be a while before I can make any more avatars.

As such, here are all the NON-animated avatars I've made and am not using. I was going to wait until I had been through every episode with an avatar-toothed comb so I could release them all in one huge bunch, but oh well :p
Awesome avatars!!!

OMG Aero said:
I just had a quick go but at this resolution I don't think it will be possible to stop the text being blurry unless you cut a lot of it out and don't resize it as much as the rest of the image like I tried in the third avatar, or crop a lot of Deadpool out.
RoaFm.jpg
NheCq.jpg
6hT1V.jpg

And if you don't like any of those, you might want to resize your avatar anyway, the size limits on GAF are 90x120 and your current one is 100 pixels wide.
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you so much for your help.

Why does Cheezmo have to ruin all this avatar cuteness?

I'm like "bhawwwwww... AHH *Vomit*.... bhaawwww... AAAHWTFF....ahahwwww".

Grrrr!

duckroll

Hi there, I was wondering if there are any good MLP custom themes for PS3 or PSP. Any dynamic themes for PS3? Has anyone made any good ones at all? Thanks...

OMG Aero

duckroll said:
Hi there, I was wondering if there are any good MLP custom themes for PS3 or PSP. Any dynamic themes for PS3? Has anyone made any good ones at all? Thanks...
I was under the impression that you could only get dynamic themes from the store. Can you make your own dynamic themes and transfer them to the PS3 like you can with static themes?

duckroll

OMG Aero said:
I was under the impression that you could only get dynamic themes from the store. Can you make your own dynamic themes and transfer them to the PS3 like you can with static themes?

It's possible you can't. I don't really know. :(

Foxix Von

duckroll said:
Not yet that I know of. But I'll be sure to post any I might come across. Really it's more than likely just a matter of time seeing the crazy crossover fanbase this series has.

sumo390

So I just watched Winter Wrap Up and I can't stop playing the song over and over and over and over. And before that it was Pinkie's fear song. And before that it was the intro theme. Why is everything so catchy?

duckroll

sumo390 said:
So I just watched Winter Wrap Up and I can't stop playing the song over and over and over and over. And before that it was Pinkie's fear song. And before that it was the intro theme. Why is everything so catchy?

I dunno, I don't really like the Pinkie-pie songs. I don't even like Pinkie-pie. She's way too energetic and unhinged for me. The Winter Wrap Up song was really good though. I definitely prefer musical ensembles in the show, because unfortunately all the solos seem to be mostly Pinkie-pie. :/

The opening song is great too.

duckroll said:
I'm not sure what you mean...
Nothing. Nothing at all.

*cue lightning strike and maniacal laughter*

Just an ostentatious way of asking if you are a fan of the show now. Which is great if you are. Let the good times roll everybody!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
ruby_onix said:
She did say that she hated losing, and she didn't give AJ's perfect shot nearly the respect it deserved. Maybe she was mad at herself for throwing the game too early, I don't know. But AJ was rubbing her nose in it a little afterward, when RD's second shot obviously wasn't serious.
Obviously? I never saw it established anywhere that throwing the horseshoe with the muzzle instead of the teeth was supposed to be a handicap. Neither pony brought that up.

ruby_onix said:
Are you saying that a hog-tying contest wasn't extremely slanted? Or the kick-strength test? And in the tug-of-war, flying wasn't an advantage, it just negated AJ's leg strength advantage, and made the contest entirely a matter of bite grip. RD was actually at a disadvantage because she had to work her wings. Then RD simply tricked AJ into talking. Kicking Spike off was another event that you'd think would be in AJ's favor, but RD shook him off smartly instead of using brute force.

I maintain that Rainbow Dash's wings aren't cheating, they're just part of who she is. She held back to make things fun, but Applejack was getting serious, so Rainbow Dash started teasing.
It's obvious, from the events used, that the whole "iron pony" competition was designed to compare pony fitness without bringing wings into the equation. Since Amibguous Cad compared it to basketball, I will compare it to wheelchair basketball, and the fairness of bringing someone with full use of their legs into such a game. Sure they can play, but they must remain seated on a wheelchair!

Of course, I'll give Dash credit for the way she shook Spike off, and the iron hoof was fair.

ruby_onix said:
Dash was forced to race with her wings tied. Of course she's going to be slightly angrier from the outset. And all she did when she got angrier and "the rules changed" was an annoying branch snap. AJ retaliated by attacking her with bees. Both of them were guilty of very minor escalations. RD didn't just decide on one-sided cheating.
Might I remind you that this was the Running of the Leaves, not the "flying of the leaves", a traditional Ponyville earth pony event, and that even if other pegasi participated in the race (I'm not sure if this was actually the case), you don't see them flying around for a second. Of course, because of what had happened earlier, AJ couldn't trust Dash to play according to those rules, so she had to bring in the no wing use rule. Then, you're conveniently forgetting that it was Dash who egged AJ on to tie her wings by saying "I could win this race with both wings tied behind my back". She was asking for it, therefore there wasn't a motive for her to be angry about it.

AJ only started cheating when she had definitive proof that Dash had thrown the "fair play" premise out the window with the branch thing. ("That little cheater did that on purpose!")

ninj4junpei said:
Episode four down. :D That was pretty cute, though I think I liked episode three a bit better. The show has definitely gotten better since the premier.
The best is still to come. :)

duckroll said:
I dunno, I don't really like the Pinkie-pie songs. I don't even like Pinkie-pie. She's way too energetic and unhinged for me. The Winter Wrap Up song was really good though. I definitely prefer musical ensembles in the show, because unfortunately all the solos seem to be mostly Pinkie-pie. :/

The opening song is great too.

I felt the same way about pinkie-pie until recently. In earlier episodes she just came across as annoying and felt less characterized than the other ponies. Now she is this awesome troll with catchy songs.

duckroll

TouchMyBox said:
I felt the same way about pinkie-pie until recently. In earlier episodes she just came across as annoying and felt less characterized than the other ponies. Now she is this awesome troll with catchy songs.

Yeah well, I don't like trolls either!

duckroll

Mechanical Snowman said:
Which is what? I think Twilight has the best singing voice, Followed by Applejack.

And I think we now know who changed I <3 Meme's avatar.

I think he's talking about Flutterguy. -_-

And no, I had nothing to do with that thread. Seriously.

TouchMyBox said:
Pinkie Pie is MLP's Brick Tamland, and I love it.

Nishastra

Banned
So, the supervising director of the show popped up on Ponychan last night and answered some questions.

Nothing earth-shattering, but you can read what he said here :p

At first I thought he was talking about Fluttershy's lullaby. I completely forgot about Flutterguy's song. Shame on me.

And I'm going to chime in on the RD vs AJ competition debate. I feel AJ was justified in her cheating accusations. To put it in simplest terms, RD has wings and AJ does not. How is this any kinds of equal? Does it make RD a better athlete? Questionable. Does it mean she has more versatility? Absolutely. AJ definitely had RD beat in a few of those events but RD's wings gave her a huge advantage. Also, they're both sore losers but at least AJ had a reason to be upset. Let me know if I'm totally off base. It's early. :lol

Did that chat marathon thing ever get resolved? I'd love to pop in for a bit and check that out.

Koomaster

duckroll said:
Speaking of, does anyone know of a reputable site with wallpapers from the show? Last time I tried to look up such a thing the website was filled with all kinds of bad stuff that set off my virus detectors. ~_____~ Don't want to risk that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom