• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I figured I might be able to ask for some image editing help here. Yet to watch the show but I have been very amused by all the avatars and the response they've been getting.

Basically I had a go at editing this image

ajOLo.jpg

Into an avatar with at least a bit of the text still showing (couldn't find enough room to fit it all in).

Deadpool.gif

As you can see ATM it's a bit blurry because it doesn't match up to exactly 100x100.

Could anyone help me do a better job of it or advise me as to how I can get this image to scale properly as an avatar?

OMG Aero

Why am I always asleep when the fun stuff happens?
limlark said:
This is the best thing ever.

Jintor said:
Yeah, I actually would like it if people stopped posting unrelated MLP pictures outside the thread though. Actually, stop posting MLP pictures outside the thread. They just seem to aggravate people.
Also I agree with this guy. Most of the reasons I see on GAF for hating the fanbase are because people hate seeing pony posts outside of this thread. I mainly browse gaming and I haven't really seen anything there but I do see the odd gif in some OT threads, so it would probably be best for everyone if people only posted the gifs here. Then other people could only get annoyed by avatars like that crazy guy.

Blue_Gecko said:
As you can see ATM it's a bit blurry because it doesn't match up to exactly 100x100.

Could anyone help me do a better job of it or advise me as to how I can get this image to scale properly as an avatar?
I just had a quick go but at this resolution I don't think it will be possible to stop the text being blurry unless you cut a lot of it out and don't resize it as much as the rest of the image like I tried in the third avatar, or crop a lot of Deadpool out.
RoaFm.jpg
NheCq.jpg
6hT1V.jpg

And if you don't like any of those, you might want to resize your avatar anyway, the size limits on GAF are 90x120 and your current one is 100 pixels wide.

Scribble

Myke Greywolf said:
Flutttershy is 100% played as a moe character, yes. And there's nothing wrong with that, because she's probably the better implemented moe character I've ever seen. She doesn't get grating or irritating. Most moe characters in anime become annoying because they never totally let go of their moeblob natures, even when they're supposed to actually be competent, because the creators seem to be to afraid that we stop liking them if they grow a spine or something.

I've only seen a few eps of FiM, but I totally get a 'passive aggressive' vibe from her, which makes her more of a character than any stupid anime moe thing.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Jintor said:
Bizarrely enough, if you post a code of conduct, they'll make fun of us for having a code of conduct.

Fucking insane troll logic! You can never have enough of it.

Anyway, I've been playing some Atom Zombie Smasher. Turns out to be quite excellent.
I didn't notice until now that someone posted those in that other thread to mock them. I don't know if I should feel proud or pissed.

I'd write them again without the tongue-in-cheek tone, but someone would probably just mock it because of us being so serious about it and all. So, yeah, whatever. :p

I've been playing Pixeljunk Shooter 2, that final boss was hell to defeat.

Anyone notice how the detractors always bring up the lack of adult nods in the show? It seems to me that it's indicative of insecurity. It's like, the adult nods in Spongebob didn't really improve the show; the novelty of "Wow, they did X in a kids' cartoon!" wears off pretty quickly. It's like they need a secret signifier to tell them it's okay that they like the show, that it can be for adults. I'm glad MLP generally stays away from it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Amibguous Cad said:
Anyone notice how the detractors always bring up the lack of adult nods in the show? It seems to me that it's indicative of insecurity. It's like, the adult nods in Spongebob didn't really improve the show; the novelty of "Wow, they did X in a kids' cartoon!" wears off pretty quickly. It's like they need a secret signifier to tell them it's okay that they like the show, that it can be for adults. I'm glad MLP generally stays away from it.

It's subtle about it. Again, entire episode that's based on an episode of Star Trek. They didn't beat you over the head with the reference, and no one caught it who didn't know about the episode. They didn't have Pinky beam them into Gilda's house, where they would be no tribble at all.

UberTag

Steamlord said:
Ashleigh Ball is just that awesome. She has a great voice. Anyone who likes her singing should check out her band, Hey Ocean! (I actually discovered it in this very thread a week or two ago).
Glad someone from the thread checked out that plug.

What sets Ashleigh apart from the rest of her pony VA clan is that she's a singer that happens to voice act as opposed to an actor that happens to sing.

She manages to do both exceptionally well. The hardcore Rainbow Dash contingent in this thread owes it to themselves to scope out some Hey Ocean! vids (although her normal singing voice is far closer to Applejack than Dash).

GhaleonEB said:
Is this show available online (legally) or on DVD? Couldn't find it on Netflix...my kids would go nuts for it from what I've seen.

iTunes has it, though it's pretty expensive. 3 dollars per episode (I think?) and no season pass option.

GhaleonEB

Amibguous Cad said:
iTunes has it, though it's pretty expensive. 3 dollars per episode (I think?) and no season pass option.
Yeah that's a bit rich, I'm not looking to up and buy them, just rent or stream. (I don't use iTunes, to boot.)

I'll keep an eye out for when it hits DVD. Thanks.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
GhaleonEB said:
Is this show available online (legally) or on DVD? Couldn't find it on Netflix...my kids would go nuts for it from what I've seen.
- There are no current plans for a DVD release, unfortunately.
- The episodes can be bought on iTunes at a considerably ridiculous price. The first one is available free of charge.
- The last 2 episodes can be streamed off the Hub website, if you're in the USA.
- Most episodes are watchable on Youtube if you make a search for this thread's title.

Other than that, I can't say.

Totally didn't know they switched V.A.s for voices and singing, I assumed all of them could do both. And I also don't notice when they switch for songs, even now that I do know, I can't think back to where a pony sounds different from talking to singing.

And I also assumed Twilight's V.A would be able to sing since there's singing in Drawn Together as well.

Is this perhaps the reason why Fluttershy didn't sing in Winter Wrap up, because they can't find a singer that emulates her voice?

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Mechanical Snowman said:
Is this perhaps the reason why Fluttershy didn't sing in Winter Wrap up, because they can't find a singer that emulates her voice?
She does have a couple of lines in Winter Wrap-Up:

"We wake up all the sleepy-heads, so quietly and nice"
(...)
"We welcome back the southern birds, so the families can grow"

Myke Greywolf said:
She does have a couple of lines in Winter Wrap-Up:

"We wake up all the sleepy-heads, so quietly and nice"
(...)
"We welcome back the southern birds, so the families can grow"
Ah yes, so she does sing and quite well.

Just weird that she didn't have a solo like the others.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Mechanical Snowman said:
Totally didn't know they switched V.A.s for voices and singing, I assumed all of them could do both. And I also don't notice when they switch for songs, even now that I do know, I can't think back to where a pony sounds different from talking to singing.

Most notable for me in suited for success with Rarity. I think the singing VA also did the speaking parts within the song, because the "20% cooler" exchange she sounds completely different.

FloppyDelux said:
odd i could of sworn i a season pass for $50
Crazy. I'd pay that much for a BD Boxset in 1080p and perhaps some behind the scenes footage and commentary tracks, but not 26 720p episodes.

Edit: I mean £50, not $50.

DrForester said:
Most notable for me in suited for success with Rarity. I think the singing VA also did the speaking parts within the song, because the "20% cooler" she sounds completely different.
But it was Rainbow that said 20% cooler o_O

Edit: oh good, for a second there I was like WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT LOL

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Mechanical Snowman said:
Crazy. I'd pay that much for a BD Boxset in 1080p and perhaps some behind the scenes footage and commentary tracks, but not 26 720p episodes.

But it was Rainbow that said 20% cooler o_O

Was talking about the exchange, edited post above.

I just finally watched episode 3. >_> However, it was quite enjoyable. :) I wasn't so fond of the cliche plot device, but it ended up leading to some great visual gags and bits of dialogue.

Edit: .GIF time!
11vipu0.jpg
2608uc4.jpg
2e3simf.jpg
jv6kcj.jpg

qrx0k0.jpg
2vb770g.jpg

I think I overdid it this time. >_<

daffy

Banned
ninj4junpei said:
I just finally watched episode 3. >_> However, it was quite enjoyable. :) I wasn't so fond of the cliche plot device, but it ended up leading to some great visual gags and bits of dialogue.
Heheh, glad you enjoyed it. That was one of the worst episodes for me, just really predictable D:

The Ticket Master (Episode 3) Spoilers:
My most faithful student, Twilight. I forgot you had other friends besides Spike even though you totally just used the power of friendship to feed my sister a nice big helping of humble pie. Here are some more tickets.
~ Celestia

Nishastra

Banned
FTH said:
Heheh, glad you enjoyed it. That was one of the worst episodes for me, just really predictable D:
Sure, the way it turns out is quite predictable, but I loved all the dreams they had about the gala :p

In particular, the buzzing buzzard and the way Rarity says "YES" to her fantasy-suitor continue to amuse me.

Confused101 said:
My most faithful student, Twilight. I forgot you had other friends besides Spike even though you totally just used the power of friendship to feed my sister a nice big helping of humble pie. Here are some more tickets.
~ Celestia
I thought that was odd at first too. I was hoping it wasn't supposed to be some kind of test.

Foxix Von

Blue_Gecko said:
Hey guys, I figured I might be able to ask for some image editing help here. Yet to watch the show but I have been very amused by all the avatars and the response they've been getting.

Basically I had a go at editing this image

http://i.imgur.com/ajOLo.jpg

Into an avatar with at least a bit of the text still showing (couldn't find enough room to fit it all in).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/Blue_Inuyasha/Deadpool.gif

I hate to say it but I made that exact same avatar for the wall earlier and it's already been claimed, well unless the dibser isn't using it anymore.

EDIT: looking into it I don't think it's taken? Either way here's the one I made:
Qqtbx.jpg

Nishastra said:
Sure, the way it turns out is quite predictable, but I loved all the dreams they had about the gala :p
I love Fluttershy's exchange with Twilight when she's cleaning the library.
TS: "You're not doing this for the ticket are you?"
FS: "Oh, no. I'm doing it because you're my very best friend. Right, Angel?"
*Angel gives a stern look*
FS: "Oh. Yes, we are just doing it for the ticket."

Confused101 said:
I love Fluttershy's exchange with Twilight when she's cleaning the library.
TS: "You're not doing this for the ticket are you?"
FS: "Oh, no. I'm doing it because you're my very best friend. Right, Angel?"
*Angel gives a stern look*
FS: "Oh. Yes, we are just doing it for the ticket."
That was a great exchange.

ninj4junpei said:
I thought that was odd at first too. I was hoping it wasn't supposed to be some kind of test.
The ticket was for Twilight and Spike, but Spike didn't want to go. Celestia didn't just randomly give Twilight an extra ticket.

I had seen the internet (aka 4chan or whatever) saying "secret butt fun" (in text) forever, and I thought it was just the internet being random, but after watching those videos I realize now that the pound puppy says "secret, but FUN!" in the bumper during the credits.

13166191_623523.png

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
G-Fex said:
And by Photo Finish I'd say German?
Never specifically mentioned. But I edited links to the (indirect) mentions to France and the Netherlands into my previous post (spoilers if you haven't seen "Suited for Success").

Cheerilee

Myke Greywolf said:
As for Rainbow Dash, even though I don't really appreciate her cockiness, I could actually appreciate her more if she got humbled more often. Most of the times, it just seems like she's a jerk for whom being "friendly" is something that doesn't come naturally, and she only keeps the act because she doesn't want to be alone, and needs someone around to praise her "awesomeness" and mad flying skills. The episode that pushed her to last place in my eyes, was "Fall Weather Friends", where she seems to be itching all the time to use under-hoofed tactics and cheating, because winning is more important to her than keeping Applejack's respect.
I think you came to the wrong conclusions from that episode. Neither one was cheating, unless you consider wings to be inherently cheating, but Applejack spends all her time training her legs, while Rainbow Dash trains her wings. Both of them very evenly started to get angry over nothing, and evenly escalated into a full-on fight. I think the writers went out of their way to show that neither and both of them were at fault for the fight.

RD likes to compete and she likes to win, but she also likes to play and she's willing to lose if she's playing. But she also has her limits and she doesn't like it if she's just playing a game and someone's seriously trying to beat her.

In the first scene of the episode, RD is winning at horseshoes, and AJ picks up RD's shoe and sets it on top of her nose. RD plays along with the silliness and tries to shoot from that position, and can't hit the side of a barn. Then AJ wins from behind and it bugs RD, and AJ starts talking like it was a serious win.

Then when the contests start, RD deliberately holds back and doesn't use her wings, even though nobody ever asked her to do that. She runs the first race without the benefit of her wings and loses, and even admits that AJ is faster, but Spike gives her the win on skill, because AJ took a penalty. AJ goes on to mostly win contests that are slanted in her favor, but RD surprisingly wins enough random skill victories to keep the game tied.

At the halfway point, RD very obviously uses her wings (no-hand push-ups), but AJ says nothing about it. This prompts RD to use her wings again and again, but she's using them in a very taunting fashion. RD is pushing AJ to say something about the wings. She wants AJ to recognize that she was holding back because it's just a game. But AJ won't say anything, because by now she thinks it's a real competition and she thinks she can beat RD, even with her wings (wings for example, wouldn't have helped RD smash the strength meter). AJ kind of has a problem with that. She thinks she can outrace Rainbow Dash. She thinks she can out-trick Trixie. She thinks she can harvest an orchard by herself. She's good, but she doesn't accept her limits.

RD keeps poking away at AJ's bottled emotions until AJ explodes and accuses RD of being a cheater, and they start the final contest/fight in bad faith.

Confused101 said:
~ Celestia
I totally expected that episode to end with Celestia saying that she sent each of the girls two tickets. Don't they check their mail?

Celestia's a jerk. She doesn't want them making any more friends. First she doesn't give the saviors of her kingdom enough tickets, then she gives them the bare minimum. Oh hey, Spike can come too if he wants. Really social.

OMG Aero

ruby_onix said:
Celestia's a jerk. She doesn't want them making any more friends. First she doesn't give the saviors of her kingdom enough tickets, then she gives them the bare minimum. Oh hey, Spike can come too if he wants. Really social.
I'm pretty sure she did it as a test/to teach her a lesson.

Jintor

Yesterday's troll thread is still generating immeasurable amounts of lulz. It's become a five-sided crossfire between MLP haters, MLP lovers, trolls using MLP, people trolling both MLP lovers and haters, and reasonable people.

Shanadeus

Banned
Jintor said:
Yesterday's troll thread is still generating immeasurable amounts of lulz. It's become a five-sided crossfire between MLP haters, MLP lovers, trolls using MLP, people trolling both MLP lovers and haters, and reasonable people.
I think the herd is doing pretty well in that thread.
We're like saints when compared to the ponycide-bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom