• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

rjfs

Neo Member
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a sequel. I just started playing again to finish up some achievements and I remembered how much I love this game. Probably my favorite game of 2010.

Those sales numbers aren't too bad. Hopefully, a sequel is in order.

Alan Wake reminded me a fair bit of Uncharted. It was rough in parts but otherwise a fantastic game. If Remedy have the chance to iterate on their initial release, it could be brilliant.

snoopeasystreet said:
Those sales numbers aren't too bad. Hopefully, a sequel is in order.

Alan Wake reminded me a fair bit of Uncharted. It was rough in parts but otherwise a fantastic game. If Remedy have the chance to iterate on their initial release, it could be brilliant.

I was hoping it would hit past 1 million, but with the end of DLC Episode 2, my hope for a sequel is high, let's just hope it gets green lit from MS. Game has the potential to be a completely mind blowing, the first one proved this easily.

Frankfurt

Banned
I've got the LE coming my way, and i was considering playing the game on normal without reading the manuscript pages on my first run (i would read them on a 2nd run on Nightmare).

Good idea, bad idea?

Are the pages still there on my 2nd run (if i grab them on the 1st), or i have to leave them alone?

Thanks!

derFeef

Frankfurt said:
I've got the LE coming my way, and i was considering playing the game on normal without reading the manuscript pages on my first run (i would read them on a 2nd run on Nightmare).

Good idea, bad idea?

Are the pages still there on my 2nd run (if i grab them on the 1st), or i have to leave them alone?

Thanks!
The pages are there, no matter if you picked them up in playthroughs beforehand or not, which makes it kind of frustrating for the achievements. But since they are part of the story they have to be there. And maybe start on hard right away. I am bad at those kind of games on consoles and hard was really not "hard".

Dries

Haha oh god, the end of The Writer just screams
SEEEEQUEL!!

Hope we'll get it. Alan Wake is one of me fave games of all time.

Really liked the game, even if the story sort of became a jumble in spots. I don't think I'll ever play it again, though. It's just that kind of game, great game to play once.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
aw_dlc2_new_071.png

my favorite sequence in the game. sooo good. the fact that they constantly had really interesting new ideas for the DLC tells me we are in for something really special in the (inevitable) sequel.

:)

videotape said:
Here's an interesting alternate take on Alan Wake. It's spoiler filled though.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...8609-To-Die-at-the-Hands-of-Your-Own-Creation
Yeah, that was an entertaining and excellent little read. Maybe a little too deep on the possible intentions behind what happens in the game, but I actually agree with his ideas about the lodge scene and all that goes on there before the actions picks up in full again. Whether that's the real inspiration behind it, only Sam Lake could tell.

olore

videotape said:
Here's an interesting alternate take on Alan Wake. It's spoiler filled though.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...8609-To-Die-at-the-Hands-of-Your-Own-Creation

Read that as well. Interesting.

Finished The Writer yesterday. I thought it was pretty good, varied with action and platforming mixed.
I liked the runup to the lighthouse where it kills off the taken, pretty epic.
Don`t think I`ll ever play Alan Wake again while I give MaxPayne 2 a spin at least once a year if that`s an indication of things.

CozMick

Banned
Finished the game, put the disc in it's box and found an add-on code for one of the chapters.

I have no need for it.

EDIT :: Gone

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Just started the game last night, currently at the very beginning of Chapter 4.

Pretty good game overall. The level design always steers you in the right direction without making it feel like you're just running down a hallway. The storyline has me very curious, though I normally don't like the whole OMG AMNESIA type stories. The hidden arrows pointing to stashes is a very cool touch, though I don't like that starting in Chapter 3
enemies now attack you when you find them. I liked before how they were just a little oasis
. Finding manuscript pages that
tell you what's going to happen soon
is a nice touch. I don't mind the limited weapon selection that I have heard some people complaining about.

As for the bad, all the levels are feeling a bit same-y right now.
Run through forest, get attacked, run to spotlight
. There have been a few monotony breakers but overall it's a bit repetitive IMO. The narration can sound kind of silly at times, too; I know it's kind of supposed to be Wake "writing"/retelling the story, but the way he repeats things you JUST SAW can be pretty silly. I don't really like the thermoses at all, 1. because they kind of take you out of the atmosphere and 2. because I don't generally like collectibles in horror games anyway (since the "search every nook and cranny" impetus is generally in direct conflict with the "you're supposed to be scared and running for your life and hurrying to the next checkpoint so you don't miss a deadline" impetus.

Excited to see how the rest of the game goes. I'm thinking I'll try for a chapter a night, then one DLC a night after that if I decide to go ahead and buy it.

Zoibie

mikespit1200 said:
How long are each of the DLC chapters. I just finished the game yesterday and really enjoyed it. Does the DLC explain more of the story?

Yeah, a little bit, but they're holding a lot back for the potential sequel. As Bog says, certainly give them a play.

I just beat this game. I have to say this is the most OK game I ever played. I honestly haven't felt this way about a game in a long time.

It wasn't great and it definetly was not a bad game...huh...

Zoibie

Just thinking about a sequel gets me excited. Continue the amazing story and include the variety of content that was in the DLC, and it could be a fantastic game. Announce soon please, Remedy!

/gettinghopesup

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I've now finished chapter 5. Still a pretty good game, though that one puzzle with
the three platforms you have to cross to cut off the power to one place before you take the tunnel to the well lit room
felt really out of place. All this time without any real puzzles to speak of, then you throw that in? Kind of odd.
Barry in the Christmas lights was a nice touch. Funny, and it fit the character.

I'll hopefully finish the game tomorrow. I've liked it enough to go ahead and give the DLC a shot after that. I don't know that I could play two chapters back to back, as I haven't been quite THAT into it, but a chapter a day has felt pretty good (though of course I skipped a few days). I've heard that the DLC is about an hour each, so I think I may try to finish both in one day once I get to that point.

Tawpgun

Bamp. Finished this game recently, and I must say, regarding the experience as a whole, it starts off REALLY slow and boring. The first couple chapters I was just waiting for something good to happen. It was just so uninteresting. But then around chapter 4 the game picked up and got AMAZING.

I realize the idea behind starting it out slow, so you can develop the story, but they could have been quicker to get the mindblowing going.

I'm not really sure if I want to buy the DLC. I really loved the latter half of the game. Especially the end where
you're in the world with the words and you have to light them up to materialize them. I wanted more cool stuff like that.
Do the DLC episodes keep up the mind bending, my head is full of fuck (in a good way) moments?

Also, the ending. Does anyone have a good explanation? I don't really get it, but I took it as
Alice really did die, but there was a certain power to the lake. He says everything has an outcome or something like that, that you can't gain something without losing something. So I thought Alan sacrifices himself to the Lake in order to save Alice. Almost Donnie Darko esque. But I don't get the significance of the ocean line at all...

Curufinwe

I think the DLC is worth getting, especially since you liked the
words turning into items
stuff. I liked that, too.

I bought the game new so it came with a voucher to get the first DLC free. Is there one of those vouchers in your Alan Wake box?

Finished the main game a month or two back. Just bought the 2nd DLC, but had a code for the first one in my copy of the game. Seeing this thread pop up reminded me I need to play the DLCs. Loved the game, especially living in Washington State. A lot of the scenery is eerily reminiscent of the area I live in.

Tawpgun

Curufinwe said:
I think the DLC is worth getting, especially since you liked the
words turning into items
stuff. I liked that, too.

I bought the game new so it came with a voucher to get the first DLC free. Is there one of those vouchers in your Alan Wake box?
Nah, I got the game as a digital download card when it was like $4 dollars on amazon, lol.

I might play them later.

Tokubetsu

A27 Tawpgun said:
Nah, I got the game as a digital download card when it was like $4 dollars on amazon, lol.

I might play them later.

I still haven't finished either DLC but my impression of the full game ending and one I think most of us agreed on in the spoiler thread
The ocean bit is Alan letting us know that the dark power/source or whatever has a lot more depth and is a lot scarier than originally thought. Possibly made bigger because of Alan's actions in the game (freeing his gf, letting the darkness take him thus granting what its always wanted, a creator all to itself).

Bluth54

I just though I would let everyone know that in the rumor section of the newest issue of OXM (called Crystal Ball) it says: Yes or no for Alan Wake 2? We shook The Ball and it said, "It looks promising"

It certainly isn't official confirmation but it is encouraging.

derFeef

Bluth54 said:
I just though I would let everyone know that in the rumor section of the newest issue of OXM (called Crystal Ball) it says: Yes or no for Alan Wake 2? We shook The Ball and it said, "It looks promising"

It certainly isn't official confirmation but it is encouraging.
Everything points to yes, Remedy is working on the next "AAA console title". I would fucking love an Alan Wake 2.

Lunchbox

Banned
YEAS! finally, lets go remedy. engines set, story line set, the sequel needs to be like the DLC episodes. those 2 were the best two chapters in the game along with 4

hype list-
-xbox720 launch title
-open world
-co-op
-class based multiplayer with perks and killsteaks !! ;)

Ledsen

I just started playing this, and... holy shit this game looks AMAZING. One of the best-looking games this generation, no doubt. The first thing I noticed were the trees. Most realistic trees ever. Then the lighting and shadow engines. Hooooooly fuck. I had several moments walking around the environments where my brain was like "wait wtf, this is a movie... no it's a game... wtf", pretty creepy actually since I never feel like that in games. The only thing I don't like so far are the enemies. The game is insanely atmospheric, tense and scary when you're just walking around, but as soon as those shadow hobos show up the mood is ruined. I actually played through Max Payne 1+2 in two days, for the first time, a couple of weeks ago and needless to say I loved them, so I had high hopes for this. I'm hoping the game continues in the same slow, deliberate vein as the first chapter, and less enemies please...

GreatSage said:
de-hype list-
- original barely sold 500K.
- 5 more years in development.
- no more horror movies left to rip-off.

- Still not bad for a brand new IP with very little advertising.
- why would it be in development for another 5 years? They have the engine up and running, a few tweaks and I'm sure it'd run even more smoothly on the next Xbox.
- Now that's just silly.

sinky72

After total ignoring this game on release, I bought it in December as it was pretty cheap at time. All I can say is it was alongside ME2 for my favourite game I played last year. Yes there were things wrong with it but I just loved the setting and gameplay. Just a really enjoyable game for me. I also played through both DLC and although 1st one was ok, I really enjoyed 2nd one.

My fingers are well and truly crossed for Alan Wake 2

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I bought the DLC the other day, but have yet to play it. I've got Wednesdays off Uni though, so I'll either give them soon or tomorrow sometime.

Looking forward to it.

Edit: Just started playing The Signal.

Top Bottom