• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

The DLC is depressing. I wasn't a big fan of the main game, but The Signal was fantastic. I just finished up The Writer and while I didn't like it as much, I still thoroughly enjoyed it. It's sad because now that I know that they can do something great with Alan Wake and they may not have the chance to use what they've learned.

and the lighting still blows me away. There are a lot of funky things going on visually, but that lighting is brilliant.

Totally slept on this one, for shame. Played for a couple of hours, this is SO awesome. Can't remember the last game that actually managed to unnerve me, but this one pushes all the right (or wrong) buttons. Crazy atmospheric.

Loved it. The atmosphere just sucked me in. The first part where you're driving and logs are falling, Just wow. Loved the story, it really felt like playing a great game, watching a fantastic movie while reading a good book.I really loved the Characters. Did it remind anyone of the movie Darkness Falls, but with a better storyline.

The wife is hooked, it appears. She got annoyed when I decided that I had enough playtime for the evening. Interestingly, the last (only?) game to have that effect on her was RE4.

Sydle

Love the setting and the game is really creeping me out. This will probably take me quite a bit of time to finish, but when I do I hope that they're already talking about Alan Wake 2.

Just got this for xmas...and I had picked up The Signal and The Writer on sale last week in anticipation. Pretty excited after hearing good things :D

Paco said:
Love the setting and the game is really creeping me out. This will probably take me quite a bit of time to finish, but when I do I hope that they're already talking about Alan Wake 2.

Hopefully it won't take 5 more years to release.

Foil

I picked this up on boxing day for $20. I want to kick myself in the head for not buying it earlier. Easily one of my favorite games this generation. I really hope Remedy gets to make Alan Wake 2.

gdt

AlmostMilk said:
yea but with shipping, it would just be like me going to the store and picking it up for the same price. already checked.

Maybe combine it with something else that's cheap?

Amazon Prime if you can get that?

gdt5016 said:
Maybe combine it with something else that's cheap?

Amazon Prime if you can get that?
already used the 48 hour trial on another game, and i missed the free year for students which totally sucks

binary

Just finished The Writer. Really enjoyed the sequence leading up to the Lighthouse. I felt so damn powerful without even firing a shot :lol I like how Remedy mixed it up with both of the DLC. They did a good job with the words mechanic they introduced in the DLC. It was a lot of fun to spawn barrels and explosions with my flashlight.

X26

Banned
I'm playing the game for the first time now and Wake being such an annoying douchebag is really putting me off. Is he like that for the entire game?

Minamu

X26 said:
I'm playing the game for the first time now and Wake being such an annoying douchebag is really putting me off. Is he like that for the entire game?
Pretty much. He's dark and moody :) They make fun of him in some spots.

Outtrigger888 said:
How long is The Writer? Thinking about picking it up after I finish The Signal.

Either of them can be done in 1 sitting, I think most people average 2-3 hours for each. That also depends on if you're trying to collect everything though; just like the coffee thermoses in the main game, there are collectible things in the DLC as well.

Ataturk

Finished the Writer a few days ago. From a story point of view I didn't like the lack of closure and how they were so blatantly setting up a sequel that may never happen. It also frustrates me that if the sequel does happen it seems like they won't have swept away any of insane bullshit that is at the end of the game. I'd want them to start afresh if it does happen.

The platforming bits looked great but were terrible to actually play.

Ataturk said:
Finished the Writer a few days ago. From a story point of view I didn't like the lack of closure and how they were so blatantly setting up a sequel that may never happen.

Im pretty sure we will see Alan Wake 2 in 2011, remedy is a small team and they said a sequel wouldnt take much time. So it probaly wouldnt cost much and would be the smartest move for microsoft. And maybe microsoft will get smart and release a demo if theres a sequel, I think alan wake would have benefited if they would have released a demo before the game came out.

AlmostMilk said:
I really want to pick this game up, anybody know of any good deals for this game going on right now?

If you don't care about getting a disc, you can probably buy an emailed download code from people hawking them on ebay for real cheap.

voltron

Ok so I just started playing 'The Writer' and Im so confused. Seriously dont know what the hells going on.

Where in the timeline of the game is this content set? Im sure The Signal was set after the main game but it feels like this is set while Alan was in the mental hospital... am I wrong there?

Phenomic

voltron said:
Ok so I just started playing 'The Writer' and Im so confused. Seriously dont know what the hells going on.

Where in the timeline of the game is this content set? Im sure The Signal was set after the main game but it feels like this is set while Alan was in the mental hospital... am I wrong there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Wake#The_Signal

Contains information about what was going on in the DLC. Under the Signal it immediately talks about the Writer. Expect Spoilers if you click on that.

Adam J.

Got this for Christmas--played through the first episode and am already growing tired of it. Does the game ever become anything other than being chased through the forest by the same enemies?

derFeef

Replaying the game right now in preperation for the DLC. It is amazing how some of Alan´s sayings are sometimes almost exactly the same thoughts I have. Love this game so much.

Adam J. said:
Got this for Christmas--played through the first episode and am already growing tired of it. Does the game ever become anything other than being chased through the forest by the same enemies?
there is not a lot of "chasing" in the first episode. so if you get tired of it already and you are ignoring all of the other great things the game offers, you may stop right there.

Just started playing this last night. Played for 4 hours straight, then finally had to hit the sack. Can't wait to get to the end. It's got me hooked.

Game is so good. I don't know why I missed this before. Thank god for gamefly :)

Barrett2

Just finished the game. Overall i thought it was great, though the combat was repetitive. I would maybe have liked a more 'concrete' ending to the story, but that's just my personality.

mik

mik is unbeatable
olore said:
Finished the main game a week ago. DLded the first episode
and couldn`t even get past the first encounter with the bad guys. Like the difficulty got buried rigth from the start. Some said above that the first episode is way action heavy and I can understand that if the begining is anything to base an opinion on
There are some spots in The Signal where you just have to run to survive. There was an area
in a furnace room
where I probably died ten times before figuring out that I was just meant to hoof it out of there.

Dead

well not really...yet
I bought the collector's edition of this on a whim last week and have been steadily playing it since, and I absolutely love it.

Im struggling to think of a more engrossing recent game than this. And I love the Episodic structure. Allows me to play one episode every few nights, and each full episode playthrough is as satisfying as the last.

So far Ive just finished chapter 5 and I think this easily ranks as one of the best 2010 games ive played.

Sai-kun

Banned
Oh man, I bought the Writer after remembering it existed and that it was out! Wow, that was fantastic!

I really hope Remedy gets another shot at this game, because I know they could do some totally awesome stuff.

Writer spoilers:

The run to the Lighthouse at the end, using "Clear" to destroy the blocks, was TOTALLY FUCKING RAD :lol Getting chased/attacked by tons of dudes, just clear a boulder out and BAM, watch them die in slow motion. That was cool as shit. The ferris wheel was really awesome, too!

Nelo Ice

Banned
is it just me or did anyone else really enjoy the book from the CE?
finished reading it today while waiting for my tires to be changed and i couldnt put it down until i was done

reading it made me want to start playing again so i can get through the dlc but im too addicted to AC:B and cant stop until i finish it 100% lol

mik

mik is unbeatable
Sai-kun said:
The run to the Lighthouse at the end, using "Clear" to destroy the blocks, was TOTALLY FUCKING RAD :lol Getting chased/attacked by tons of dudes, just clear a boulder out and BAM, watch them die in slow motion. That was cool as shit.
Absolutely. That segment and the
concert in the cornfield
were my two favorite moments in the whole friggin' game.

Nelo Ice said:
finished reading it today while waiting for my tires to be changed and i couldnt put it down until i was done

reading it made me want to start playing again so i can get through the dlc but im too addicted to AC:B and cant stop until i finish it 100% lol
I liked the book as well. Nice collection of expanded universe stuff.

Grisby

Nelo Ice said:

Was great, one of the best CE items I've ever had, beside the Bioshock 2 record.

Vorg

Banned
Guys, I got a few points left and on the fence about buying the DLC episodes or not. Are they worth it?

sam27368

Banned
I wish they would make a PC version of this, imagine how good it will look.

It's not like it's overly hard to do. (Apparently) there are few differences developing for PC and 360.

Jinaar

In two weeks, done the following:

Passed Alan Wake on Normal.
Passed Alan Wake on Nightmare (getting most of the harder achievements on this setting)

Passed Alan Wake: The Signal - 3x Normal (Achievement running obviously)
Passed Alan Wake: The Writer - 1x Normal (Will do it once more to get the last two achievements I am missing)

Only missing two achievements from them all. Why do I even list that? Because damn this game was fine and any reason to keep coming back, even if it is just running achievements, is a blessing.

The game's world was such a gratifying one. Especially for myself, being let down recently by a Microsoft only game called FABLE 3. Obviously the lighting was the biggest draw, but where the game shined was playing on Nightmare. To be in large open areas and still feel claustrophobic as the Taken swarm you from all directions, the wind lashing the trees, the Darkness causing your vision to be blurred. Sometimes running to the nearest Safe Haven sounds like a better plan then wasting your health and ammo on Taken carrying very large axes. Nightmare had almost the perfect balance of weapons and ammo for the situations it put you thru per episode. Dare I say it ranks higher then a Resident Evil game playing perfectly running on all cylinders?

The DLC really hit some strides, creatively I mean. The Signal's floating text being the major highlight and The Writer's complex warping of the environment to his mental state. Just wonderful. Dreadfully, wonderful.

This was a great game to get done before Dead Space 2 comes out. Obviously, my body is prepared, as too I believe my mind is.

Alan Wake: I give it my highest award - One erect penis.

Dries

98/100 thermoses !!!! rage!

Just finished my Nightmare playthrough though. Such a fantastic game. In my top 5 ever for sure. Gonna start the first DLC soon. Pretty stoked.

tsigo

I just want to vent at the fact that they don't show you how many thermoses you've gotten per chapter, or narrow it down in any kind of way. On my first (and so far only) playthrough, I got 94/100 thermoses without using any kind of guide. Which 6 did I miss? Who the fuck knows. Guess I get to re-play the game following a guide the whole way.

Dries

tsigo said:
I just want to vent at the fact that they don't show you how many thermoses you've gotten per chapter, or narrow it down in any kind of way. On my first (and so far only) playthrough, I got 94/100 thermoses without using any kind of guide. Which 6 did I miss? Who the fuck knows. Guess I get to re-play the game following a guide the whole way.

So true. Such a big mistake on Remedys part.

I played the main game and The Signal a few months back, but didn't get to play The Writer yet. Is there some sort of tutorial at the beginning of the DLC to get back on the saddle?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Dries said:
So true. Such a big mistake on Remedys part.

I'd go as far as saying the thermoses as whole were a mistake. The pages were perfect and tied into the story. The thermoses on the other hand don't really make much sense aside storywise and there being a whopping 100 is a bit overkill. The worst part is that if you really wanted to get all them it takes you out of the atmosphere and action as you start focusing on the logic of the thermos placement and venture back into safe zones which breaks the pacing. I rarely really bother with collectibles myself so I didn't in this case too, but even casually trying to get the cardboard collectibles in the DLC felt breaking the atmosphere by making everything feel all that more gamey.

I'd only consider hunting down those collectibles in an extra playthrough but I rarely ever do that. In Alan Wake for the pages this makes some sense. There are extra pages on the highest difficulty and while not ideal that offers a somewhat logical incentive to get those.

Why For?

Banned
Got the full 1500 on this a couple of weeks or so ago.

Fantastic fucking game.

Signal and Writer were massive mind fucks. Both great though. Bring on Alan Wake 2.

Top Bottom