• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Q8D3vil

KennyLinder said:
Why were you though? Because they made Max Payne 9 years ago? Naughty Dog (for example) have been around forever and consistently released very high quality games. You can't really compare the two developers. Same goes for Bungie, you really can't compare someone like Bungie to the guys behind Alan Wake, that's dumb and you're setting yourself up for a fall.

What's stopping Alan Wake from getting those scores is simple. It probably isn't as good.

BUT.. They could and probably will release a sequel in a couple of years that is super polished and gets the scores you want. Look how much better Uncharted 2 is over the original (which was excellent in itself).
you are right.

as a max payne 1&2 big fan i was expecting this to be on the same level.

anyway, look like i'm going to wait for a year if they didn't announce pc version am going to play the 360 version.

also, any final words about the resolution ?! i remember members arguing about it in the past AW threads.

derFeef

Q8D3vil said:
you are right.

anyway, look like i'm going to wait for a year if they didn't announce pc version am going to play the 360 version.

also, any final words about the resolution ?! i remember members arguing about it in the past AW threads.

If you are a big fan of MP 1 & 2 you should be excited, because those two games got similar reviews with similar weak points pointed out. Sure, times has changed though.

rhino4evr

Based on these reviews this looks more like a rental. Pre-order cancelled and moved to Mario galaxy 2. Nintendo wins again!

Lunchbox

Banned
Q8D3vil said:
you are right.

max payne got similar and even lower reviews than this, whattcha crying about bro?

and resolution? it runs in black and white 800x600. deal with it

Q8D3vil said:
you are right.

I don't think you should worry, didn't Max Payne get similar review scores? (i.e. good but not amazing) - Can't remember fully but I am sure it did. You loved those titles so I am sure you'll like this :)

Alan Wake looks like a solid action adventure game to me, just perhaps not the most original (but seriously, what games ARE original these days?).

slash213

Q8D3vil said:
not sarcasm, but if a rehashed big milky tits game like god of war 3 got 9,3 and halo odst got 9/10 from ign and most of the sites.
what's stopping new original ip like alan wake from getting rating like uncharted 2 or 9.2 like infamous.

i was expecting way better rating for alan wake considering the time they spent making it.

but that doesn't mean the current rating are crap. i was just expecting better rating.

I can't decide if you're seriously bitching about 0.2 difference in review rating. Congratulations.

I cannot believe the mentality of some of you. Suggesting a game should score highly simply because it was in development for a long period of time is utter nonsense.

Dries

cjelly said:
It is scary how many people have to rely on the opinions of others over how to spend $60.

This. Also the review scores are just good/terrific. Also a couple of 100% scores. I don't know why people are complaining. Were you all expecting scores that would never dip under 9,5?

Rad-

cjelly said:
It is scary how many people have to rely on the opinions of others over how to spend $60.

I could understand that if the scores were like 5 & 6s. But most of them are 9s. :lol

Dries said:
Were you all expecting scores that would never dip under 9,5?

It seems that any platform exclusive game has to score an average of 99% for it to be justified (by GAF). If not, it should have been made using the Unreal Engine 3, developed in under 18 months and released to every platform available including mobile phones...

slash213

Dries said:
This. Also the review scores are just good/terrific. Also a couple of 100% scores. I don't know why people are complaining. Were you all expecting scores that would never dip under 9,5?
I, personally, live in a world of piracy and/or very cheap games (like $20 for new one) and reading all this "hey, only half o' reviews and over 8.5, let's forget this crap!" throws me insane. Seriously, people, I don't know what it is to spend $60 on one single game, but do you even understand, how fucking high is 8.5? Hell, 8.0 is pretty high.

Prine

Banned
Maleficence said:
There's building atmosphere, and then there's boring.

Half Life 2 had many segments of long drives, i never took to be boring but put it down to pacing. It was nice little breather, and the vistas were beautiful to view (like Alan Wake). I can easily mark that as a shitty device to introduce pacing too, but it was needed and appreciated. Guess it depends on your idea of boring.

rhino4evr

cjelly said:
Forget the scores, what's scary is that every review mentions the lack of replayability and linearity. The purpose of reviews is to help the public make the desicion if it's worth their time. What's so scary about that?

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Lunchbox said:
max payne got similar and even lower reviews than this, whattcha crying about bro?

What's with the 'bro' thing? Do you normally talk like that to other people IRL? Just asking.

yeah, i think some people are forgetting Remedy's pedigree here and the type of scores Max Payne and Max Payne 2 got. I'm excited about this because I loved both Max Paynes and because I love the pacific northwest and Twin Peaks and Silent Hill.

the gameplay in the Max Payne games could only be described as repetitive and linear, but it was still awesome. both were criticised for being short, but neither of them had a weak moment. no padding, pure frosting. both had writing way beyond what you'd expect from a game like that, and Max Payne 2 actually made me cry with it's ending.

no, not because Mona died, but because Max had a bad dream about his dead wife but was okay about it.

i've never minded driving in my action games. been playing a lot of GTA4 lately.

as always i will reserve judgement, but for so many people to be bailing out because it's reviews are only as good as Remedy's last two games... is a bit bonkers to me.

it's always the exclusives that make people go crazy.

dofry said:
What's with the 'bro' thing? Do you normally talk like that to other people IRL? Just asking.

What's with the 'IRL' thing? Do you normally talk like that to other people in real life? Just asking.

plagiarize said:
the gameplay in the Max Payne games could only be described as repetitive and linear, but it was still awesome. both were criticised for being short, but neither of them had a weak moment. no padding, pure frosting.

Yes, fuck, yes!

both had writing way beyond what you'd expect from a game like that, and Max Payne 2 actually made me cry with it's ending.

Er, no. What can I say, I never cared for Max Payne 2's story. To be honest, I thought it was a jumbled mess. Loved the story in the original, though.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
What's with the 'IRL' thing? Do you normally talk like that to other people in real life? Just asking.

What's with the 'real life' thing? Do you normally talk to other people? Just asking.

Seriously though, for those who might've played this, anyone care to spoil the story for me on PM? I don't have a 360 (so I won't get to play this :'( ), and Wikipedia hasn't updated the plot section on AW. I'd just like to know more about this 'dark, powerful presence'. kthnx

NHale

rhino4evr said:
Forget the scores, what's scary is that every review mentions the lack of replayability and linearity. The purpose of reviews is to help the public make the desicion if it's worth their time. What's so scary about that?

It's scary because reviews could lead people to not buying an exclusive game for their favourite piece of plastic. Imagine that!

It's nonsense to try to make a informed decision about buying something. I always buy things without research or asking for any opinions from owners of that same product and that's why I'm going to buy a Toyota Prius today.

slash213

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

Why is everyone claims they're "just ass kings" today? Just want to know.

sillik

Banned
while the game looks good no doubt, it has been in development for 360 for over 6 years. Are the tearing and resolution simply factors of x360 being pretty much tapped ?

I would have to agree wit most of the eurogamer review so far. I'm on episode 3 in the game and I'm already skightly dissapointed, I love the combat system and I have had genuine scares but some of the writing and va is off the mark, I'm suprised since max payne 1 and 2 are my favorite games ever and had really good writing and va. I have the same level of dissapointment as I did with heavy rain so far the game looks to be an 8.5 I was hoping it would get varied but by the looks of it from reading the euro review it does too much. Dont get me wrong I'm seriously enjoying it, it's just I was expecting 10/10 and got like a 8.7/10 so far. Of yea and the resolution thing looks to be true as I'm playing it on my 40 inch Sammy and it looks a tad blurry, it doesn't matter thi cuz it's still top 10 best looking and the best lighting I've seen. Don't run and attack me please just giving u guys my opinion so far, it very well might change as the story gets better.

Razgreez

slash213 said:
I, personally, live in a world of piracy and/or very cheap games (like $20 for new one) and reading all this "hey, only half o' reviews and over 8.5, let's forget this crap!" throws me insane. Seriously, people, I don't know what it is to spend $60 on one single game, but do you even understand, how fucking high is 8.5? Hell, 8.0 is pretty high.

In a world where the average "big budget" games get 9+ ratings, 8 and 8.5 are below average and therefore "poor". All things relative that is

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Combichristoffersen said:
What's with the 'real life' thing? Do you normally talk to other people? Just asking.

Seriously though, for those who might've played this, anyone care to spoil the story for me on PM? I don't have a 360 (so I won't get to play this :'( ), and Wikipedia hasn't updated the plot section on AW. I'd just like to know more about this 'dark, powerful presence'. kthnx

The whole thing was on already uploaded in teh internets, search and you will find, but why spoil it now? (and it will eventually come to the PC. I have not lost faith in that. Admit it Remedy!)

Bro-thing... Just asking because I find it strange that someone uses it, all the time.

rhino4evr

NHale said:
It's scary because reviews could lead people to not buying an exclusive game for their favourite piece of plastic. Imagine that!

It's nonsense to try to make a informed decision about buying something. I always buy things without research or asking for any opinions from owners of that same product and that's why I'm going to buy a Toyota Prius today.
That's retarded. It's not like I read one review and decided. This is a rental. There are several reviews with the same complaints. Good chance those complaints are probably valid. I'm still going to play the game, I'm just not going to waste my hard earned money on something I'm only going to enjoy for a few hours. Buying a Prius? I hope those brakes work!

Anyone with an updated average for reviews so far?

I mean, more up to the date than metacritics (22 reviews).

Just curious to see how better or worse the game will be in a few hours :lol

Let's also not forget that Silent Hill 1, 2 and 3 got review scores in this ball park.

Alan Wake. ONLY AS GOOD AS SILENT HILL 2. OMGWTFBBQ.

Razgreez said:
In a world where the average "big budget" games get 9+ ratings, 8 and 8.5 are below average and therefore "poor". All things relative that is
honestly, i think that's probably fair enough, but you must have genres that you play more than others. for me adventure games and horror games don't need as good a review score as a racing game or a fighting game do to be worth my time.

i love horror and adventure, so i buy most of the ones that come in above 8 and a lot of the ones that come in between 7 and 8.

would you skip Silent Hill 2 and Max Payne 2 cause of the review scores? if so... why were you interested in Alan Wake in the first place out of interest?

horror games all tend to be around 10 hours. they all tend to be linear. they all tend to have little replay insentive beyond reliving the experience.

that doesn't mean they have to be that way, or you have to like them that way of course, but it shouldn't be a huge surprise to you that people that loved your Resident Evils and your Silent Hills and your Dead Spaces would be just fine with a game being linear and 10 hours long.

sillik said:
while the game looks good no doubt, it has been in development for 360 for over 6 years. Are the tearing and resolution simply factors of x360 being pretty much tapped ?

Aaaaand here we go.

But the answer is no. Even Remedy themselves claim there's still plenty of things they could do with the 360 in the future. Hopefully, getting rid of the tearing is one of them.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
dofry said:
The whole thing was on already uploaded in teh internets, search and you will find, but why spoil it now? (and it will eventually come to the PC. I have not lost faith in that. Admit it Remedy!)

Microsoft hates PC gamers, so I honestly think the chances of AW PC are slim :(

slash213

Razgreez said:

I fail to tie game's budget to it's quality. Have you played Gish?

plagiarize said:
Alan Wake. ONLY AS GOOD AS SILENT HILL 2. OMGWTFBBQ.
BTW, I ran through Episodes 1-2 yesterday and thought about Silent Hill 2 a lot. Alan Wake is not THAT scary, but delivers good "wtf" moments frequently.

slash213 said:
I fail to tie game's budget to it's quality. Have you played Gish?

BTW, I ran through Episodes 1-2 yesterday and thought about Silent Hill 2 a lot. Alan Wake is not THAT scary, but delivers good "wtf" moments frequently.
i didn't find Silent Hill 2 scary apart from pyramid head. true story. 1 and 3 scared the crap out of me though.

i don't mind if Alan Wake isn't scary wall to wall so long as it has it's moments like Half Life 2 (or Twin Peaks).

slash213

plagiarize said:
i didn't find Silent Hill 2 scary apart from pyramid head. true story. 1 and 3 scared the crap out of me though.

i don't mind if Alan Wake isn't scary wall to wall so long as it has it's moments like Half Life 2 (or Twin Peaks).
I was stuck at hospital sequence of SH2 because it scared me the fuck out.

Considering Alan Wake, for me (two episodes complete) it feels like collection of dreams/hallucinations from Max Payne 1-2 (which were awesome). So I'm really satisfied.

Raist

Banned
Q8D3vil said:
i was expecting way better rating for alan wake considering the time they spent making it.

By that logic Too Human should have been rated 11/10 across the board and DNF will get 200/10 when it's released.

Top Bottom