• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Pooya

Arucardo said:
Brad mentioned on the bombcast that "the game tears like a motherfucker"

EDIT: and I guess I should mention that he said he played it at home on a retail 360.
Remedy LIED again:lol ,
seriously tearing is really distracting specially in an atmospheric game, with the game running at this very low resolution why there is still massive tearing?!! :(

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Fortinbras said:
Joke post? Defensive posts? Where exactly? Nothing has changed for me. I liked what I've seen from the game and I still like it. I never got the feeling that the game would be GOTY material.

That's my opinion...and that hasn't changed. (Of course it can change once I actually played the game...)

Fortinbras said:
I didn't notice a bad review.

Oh..., I forgot a 7 is considered as "OMFG DO NOT WANT!" these days.

:lol

The eurogamer review was bad.

Also 7's are bad when pitted against gaf's usual high expectations when it comes to console exclusives.

CozMick said:
Has anyone got any footage of gamplay during the day?

I wanna compare the footage to what 1up have said about the visuals.

There's some of it here. Building the Technology video has a lot of daylight footage as well. Also...

34nl2yr.gif

derFeef

All reviews are bringing up the same strong and weak points of the game so far. For some the strongpoints are prevailing and for others the weak points. Hype still there, bring my game Mr. Postman!

lowrider007 said:
:lol

The eurogamer review was bad.

Also 7's are bad when pitted against gaf's usual high expectations for console exclusives.

You are right. The review actually is bad(ly written). I can't take reviews seriously when text and score don't match. It doesn't read like a 7. More like a 4 or 5.

That happens a lot nowadays.

Fallout-NL said:
Damn, that Eurogamer review killed my hype.

And yes, a 7 is definitely 'bad' when you're expecting 'one of those games'.

The problem is it wasn't a 7, damn, the reviewer didn't say a good thing of the game for 5 pages.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Q8D3vil said:
reviews are hammering this game.
i was expecting 9.5/10 at least from ign

It seems to be getting mostly around 8s. How is that 'hammering' the game?

Oh, right, I forgot. Anything below 10/10 is shit and not worth playing, much less buying

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I really don't care about this game, but I think you guys are getting disappointed over nothing. 8-10s on average is a good score; it's a good game. Don't go canceling your preorders.

CozMick

Banned
The scores are nice for a game that has been in development for 1-2yrs, but for a 5yr (?) development period it's pretty mediocre.

But then again, I bought Mirror's Edge which is one of my best games of this generation.

derFeef

eurogamer.de gave it a 9/10

edit: conclusion:
He would have given it a perfect score if the replayability were a bit better. There are also the "big-moments" missing.

"The mix of storytelling and flawless crafted gameplay makes Alan Wake a honed experience. ...
Alan Wake is something extraordinary and enriches the gaming world"

Metacritic Summary Stats

Mean......................... 84.22727273
Standard Error............. 1.372159511
Median........................ 85
Mode......................... 80
Standard Deviation..........6.435998596
Sample Variance............ 41.42207792
Kurtosis..................... 0.458036223
Skewness.................. -0.688545565
Range....................... 25
Minimum................... 70
Maximum.................. 95
Count......................... 22

Pooya

CozMick said:
The scores are nice for a game that has been in development for 1-2yrs, but for a 5yr (?) development period it's pretty mediocre.
It's getting better scores than FFXIII at least and that had like 6 years of development :lol . it shows really doesn't matter how many years a game was in development, quality may vary, it could be the best and true classic or mediocre and bad, like RE4 and Too Human. Alan Wake reviews are pretty good though and I happy with the reviews so far (except the eurogamer one).
Not really, Alan Wake was announced before FFXIII IIRC
Ouch!

Big-ass Ramp

CozMick said:

But then again, I bought Mirror's Edge which is one of my best games of this generation.

Mirror's edge made me lose a great deal of faith in video game reviews. I think that game is my favorite game this gen.

NHale

CozMick said:

Since when should the quality of a game be influenced by the amount of time it took to develop? The only thing that matters it's the final product, even if it took 2 months or 15 years to develop.

Big-ass Ramp

you guys see the "excellent" reviews, right? I'm not the only one that sees those, right? Are you guys reading some of the reviews other than eurogamer? Here's a quote:

"In short, it's a must-have Xbox 360 title that provides a freshness and dynamism that horror games have been achingly lacking for the past several years."

you guys are acting like this game is bombing with reviewers.

Lunchbox

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:
you guys see the "excellent" reviews, right? I'm not the only one that sees those, right? Are you guys reading some of the reviews other than eurogamer? Here's a quote:

"In short, it's a must-have Xbox 360 title that provides a freshness and dynamism that horror games have been achingly lacking for the past several years."

SHUT UP

this game got a 7 from 1 site, all other reviews are invalid. Alan wake sucks. ps3 wins

/thread

Why is the defence force out with this (or any) game?

Do you really care that much what a reviewer thinks of a game? Are your expectations unrealistically high for Alan Wake? I was always hoping it would be good, but after six years of development its going to have gone through so many changes that it could of turned into a piece of shit. To be honest I am surprised it turned out as good as it did, ultra long projects often turn messy.

Just play it and see for yourself, it looks like a good action/adventure game from the gametrailers video review.

Big Ass Ramp said:

Sure.
Take the 1% you like the most and act like it's everything that matters.
That's life, not only gaming.

CozMick

Banned
We'll soon see if it lives up to the original hype.

I usually have faith in 1up so I'm kinda dubious, but what the hell, I'm buying it anyway so reviews don't really matter when I've already made my decision.

It's just a shame that Remedy have told a few fibs along the way.

CozMick said:
We'll soon see if it lives up to the original hype.

I usually have faith in 1up so I'm kinda dubious, but what the hell, I'm buying it anyway so reviews don't really matter when I've already made my decision.

It's just a shame that Remedy have told a few fibs along the way.

Not touching the 720p issue, but they did say they're using the Gears of War solution where if there's slowdown they will disable vsync.

Why do people like to validate bullshit score aggregator sites, like Metacritic? It's bad enough people call games that get 8s and 7s bad (though I guess it just proves that the score scale pretty much does just go from seven to ten and not the full possible range), even big budget ones... Only picking shit that scores well with the narrow views present in the gaming review community positively reinforces the movement for publishers to present games that primarily seek to cater to those peoples' tastes. Then again, I guess most of you really into those scores basically do have the same tastes as the reviewers that you often shit on. Every time I see people worried about those score averages, I have to wonder how much more simple and limited in range bigger budget gaming offerings will become because of it.

Anyway...

I'm really hoping the retail version tearing is kept to a minimum...easily my most hated visual issue besides wildly inconsistent framerates. Otherwise, looking forward to playing.

Big-ass Ramp

MightyHedgehog said:
Why do people like to validate bullshit score aggregator sites, like Metacritic?

I guess people just lose their mind when it comes to console exclusives. Like it really matters.

NHale said:
One thing is sure, you should do it.

no need for this.

Dries

Big Ass Ramp said:

I'm hearing you dude.

Big Ass Ramp said:

I can see where this behavior is coming from. This is an exclusive game after all, so "everyone" expected "GOTY" scores like U2 or ME2. If the game did get those scores though, you'd read comments like "Microsoft paid them", "that's typical for [insert game blog], they're biased" and so on. And even then some people would show up, pick the worst review, to quote from it, over and over again. Nothing unusual here.

The real fun starts, when the DF analysis is out.

Big-ass Ramp

Lunchbox said:
which ones the box? i might get the SE, cause the boxart on the regular sucks dude

200077_LE_LG.jpg

It looks like the top right "book" is the box, the case is on the bottom second from the left, and the top left is the slip that goes over the book box.

Lunchbox

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:
It looks like the top right "book" is the box, the case is on the bottom second from the left, and the top left is the slip that goes over the book.

so is it hollowed? cause gamestops site says a 144 page book comes with it

NHale said:
Not really. I just don't have the patience for trolls.
you must hate yourself then huh

Q8D3vil

Big Ass Ramp said:
/sarcasm ...?
not sarcasm, but if a rehashed big milky tits game like god of war 3 got 9,3 and halo odst got 9/10 from ign and most of the sites.
what's stopping new original ip like alan wake from getting rating like uncharted 2 or 9.2 like infamous.

i was expecting way better rating for alan wake considering the time they spent making it.

but that doesn't mean the current rating are crap. i was just expecting better rating.

Q8D3vil said:
not sarcasm, but if a rehashed big milky tits game like god of war 3 got 9,3 and halo odst got 9/10 from ign and most of the sites.
what's stopping new original ip like alan wake from getting rating like uncharted 2 or 9.2 like infamous.

i was expecting way better rating for alan wake considering the time they spent making it.

but that doesn't mean the current rating are crap. i was just expecting better rating.

Why were you though? Because they made Max Payne 9 years ago? Naughty Dog (for example) have been around forever and consistently released very high quality games. You can't really compare the two developers. Same goes for Bungie, you really can't compare someone like Bungie to the guys behind Alan Wake, that's dumb and you're setting yourself up for a fall.

What's stopping Alan Wake from getting those scores is simple. It probably isn't as good.

BUT.. They could and probably will release a sequel in a couple of years that is super polished and gets the scores you want. Look how much better Uncharted 2 is over the original (which was excellent in itself).

Big-ass Ramp

Lunchbox said:
so is it hollowed? cause gamestops site says a 144 page book comes with it

Yeah, it's got to be. Look at the top left, that's with the slip over it, it's clearly the box for all of that stuff. I'm thinking the book you're talking about is the thing in the middle. "The Alan Wake Files".

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Q8D3vil said:

Being a new, original IP does not equal getting 10/10 scores all across the board though. If it did, Lair would've been hailed as the new Messiah when it arrived.

Combichristoffersen said:
Being a new, original IP does not equal getting 10/10 scores all across the board though. If it did, Lair would've been hailed as the new Messiah when it arrived.

And Heavenly Sword.

Top Bottom