• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Rat Salad said:
Just because PC fans are bitter doesn't mean the game isnt great though. The bottom line is you buy the hardware to play the games,and thats why this is exclusive. Sony fans and PC fans need to stop being so anal and go play their games.

But some PC fans did buy hardware to play the game.
(a quad core)

lherre

Accurate
DeadGzuz said:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1427422&postcount=634

nightshade's (B3D) impressions:

Excellent Game ! I know I said I won't be playing it while I wait for my LE to arrive, but seriously the game so good & gripping that I couldn't resist...and I played 2 episodes straight away (took me 2.5 hours). The writing is really great in this game & so is the sound design/music, really gives me the creeps. While the voice acting may not be as good as other games but its convincing enough. The best part of the game are the environments they are sooooooo well done that you're just going to get sucked into the game & loose track of time just because you always want to see more & more....kudos to Remedy for getting this part spot on !

The Gameplay is good but the combat is kind of clunky imo, I started on Hard & I found some places very difficult. The game hints you in loading screens that you should just run away if you are way outnumbered but the problem is my character couldn't run for more than 10 meters & these enemies can teleport & seem to have unlimited supplies of axes to throw. Ammo supply is "just right" so any wastage means you will fall short of ammo & special items like flare gun & flares are pretty scarce for now, but atleast the game makes sure to give you plenty of batteries for your flashlight. The driving sequence is, well....laughable.

Now on to the visuals....first off, the game is a nice looker overall & the subHD resolution doesn't seem to effect it "that" much ; aliasing is surprisingly quite minimal here, shader aliasing & some aliasing on edges covered with fog/mist were probably the only cases where its obviously noticeable. Lightning,Fog & mist are great and lastly interactive foliage ! finally a console game where interactive foliage is done right. The animations for movements & facial expressions are okay at best. I must stress that the game looks extremely nice in the night sequences, switch to day sequences & the cover's blown....daytime sequences are easily the area that gets affected the most due to the low resolution.

That said the textures are really low res & specularity on metals is quite off...almost makes them look plastic.Light volumes have noisy edges, shadowing while not jagged are still poor with dithering & lots of noise/flickering and they also seem to have their LOD switch occur as soon as the player move just 3 meters from them. One thing that I'd like to mention about the lighting here is that the light volumetric are really odd in this game, most of them don't seem to create any kind of shafts if you try to block it partially with objects in environments or your playing character, till now I've seen just 1 light source in total that created shafts when I tried to partially block it.

All in all an awesome game the blurry visuals
will bother you for 10 minutes or so but after that you'll be so much into the game that you'll totally forget about it.
I just can't wait for my Limited Edition to arrive ! Thanks Remedy, I am a happy customer

P.S.[About the tearing, the game seems to tear even in places where there's nothing going on...I've seen it tear madly when I drop a flare or if I have a "healing" light source in front of me]

Is strange, is happy and positive but critizes a lot of things.

probably mentioned but giantbomb review is up (4/5 stars) ((wait, that's an 8/10, or an 80/100, which means the game sucks. Whatever you do, don't read the words in the review, only the numbers))

lherre said:

Yep. Makes me excited as hell for next week. (i.e. Technical issues had no impact on his enjoyment of the game, even though he was aware of them)

Pistolero

Because the final impression/score is not necessarily an aggregate of all the points therein. It's a global feeling. Unless one of the elements is so flawed it could distract you from getting into the story, which is definitely not the case with Alan Wake. And let's be serious here, this game, just as GT5, Uncharted3, Mass Effect3...will be more scrutinized and nipticked than some other random product. People expect the best from talented studios with high pedigrees, which took their time crafting their engines. It is normal that each flaw will be magnified by fans who have been dying with anticipation!

ShogunX

lherre said:

The comment about the combat being clunky is very very wide of the mark. I guess he never played Resident Evil 5. For example from Giant Bomb -

GiantBomb said:
The game has that unusual combination of loose, free character movement and fast but precise aiming control that to me defines the best third-person shooters.

Leon

Oh my God.

Reviews are perfectly legitimate ways to gather information about a videogame. Opinion or not, a person has played it and is putting details about that game on paper, details that were previously not shared or in this case, seemed to be intentionally withheld or misrepresented by the developer. You would think people would be glad to hear others debunk Remedy's and Microsoft's hype, which in turn makes them more careful where they spend their dollars.

Plus, this official thread was built around the time the review embargo lifted. If reviews don't matter to you, then why you clicked on this thread is already a mindf*ck worthy of twenty Alan Wake storylines.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Leon said:
Oh my God.

Reviews are perfectly legitimate ways to gather information about a videogame. Opinion or not, a person has played it and is putting details about that game on paper, details that were previously not shared or in this case, seemed to be intentionally withheld or misrepresented by the developer. You would think people would be glad to hear others debunk Remedy's and Microsoft's hype, which in turn makes them more careful where they spend their dollars.

Plus, this official thread was built around the time the review embargo lifted. If reviews don't matter to you, then why you clicked on this thread is already a mindf*ck worthy of twenty Alan Wake storylines.

Calm down friend :lol

Gosh, you know, I have to say, reading this thread I was expecting to go onto Metacritic and see the game getting trashed, instead I see:

11 reviews at 90+
14 reviews at 80+
2 reviews at 70
and a grand total of zero below 70.

Call me crazy, but I'd call that a "positive critical reception."

adamsapple

NEOPARADIGM said:
Gosh, you know, I have to say, reading this thread I was expecting to go onto Metacritic and see the game getting trashed, instead I see:

11 reviews at 90+
14 reviews at 80+
2 reviews at 70

Didn't you know the development time is directly proportional to how high the score of a game must be for it to be a success on GAF ? :lol

Any info on the in-game commentary? Who's gonna listen?

I would .. if I were getting the CE ...

Dries

Slightly off-topic: but am I the only that nevers even notices screen tearing? I know what it is of course, but is it possible that some people just don't notice this visual effect?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
onken said:
Arg, I hope this is an exaggeration, I can't stand tearing.

don't think so , in the QL video there is tearing all over the place.

4580302679_6cfe7b363d_o.png

4580932554_4b54e4a633_o.png

4580932372_f9f54dc43a_o.png

4580932176_d9f3a73f78_o.png

I hope they can fix it via patch or something later...

Dries said:
Slightly off-topic: but am I the only that nevers even notices screen tearing? I know what it is of course, but is it possible that some people just don't notice this visual effect?
It never really is noticeable to me, but my eyes bleed from jaggies. Some people are resolution crazy, some are texture whores, some people go nuts over frame rate. It's kind of interesting what bothers us all graphically

adamsapple

Two really nice looking gameplay shots from the official forum from a guy saying he took them off a TV capture card

e81ef462ac97a4537a5a5aa3de504917.jpg

2be1e89c8b02022b8d1e2ed089ff778a.jpg

oozing with atmosphere !

GreekWolf

NEOPARADIGM said:

11 reviews at 90+
14 reviews at 80+
2 reviews at 70

It's an unmitigated success, by any standard. Only a goof would suggest otherwise. I think the disappointment (from one camp) and glee (from another camp) stems from the fact that it won't be the 360's 90+ metacritic answer to high-profile PS3 exclusives, which have been garnering quite a bit of attention over the last several months.

Zealots desperately wanted this to be an UC2 caliber title, capable of sweeping GOTY awards across all platforms. Instead, it seems to be a half-notch below that lofty category, occupying the same space as impressive titles like Heavy Rain, Resident Evil 5 and Dead Space.

I'm incredibly excited for my copy to arrive next week, and congratulate Remedy for all their hard work and effort on another fantastic product.

FrankT

Nelo Ice said:

Oh man just release the game MS.

GreekWolf said:
It's an unmitigated success, by any stems from the fact that it won't be the 360's 90+ metacritic answer to high-profile PS3 exclusives, which have been garnering quite a bit of attention over the last several months.

There has only been one in the last several months to fit that bill same goes for 360. GOWIII(93) and ME2(96). It may end up around HR scores though when all said and done (87). 88 was the average for all the scores in here last night.

GreekWolf said:
It's an unmitigated success, by any standard.

I don't like to get too pedantic, but it's obviously true that it's not an unmitigated success by any standard. There are clearly standards by which it is not that. You listed some of them in your own post.

ShogunX

Wow just seen a few of the tracks featured in the game and on the soundtrack. Impressive list with my favorite's being . My CE cant get here soon enough.

Apparently you can view/listen (once you have unlocked them) to the Manuscripts, Radio Shows, Cinematics and the Soundtrack from the main menu.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Dries said:
I don't think I've ever noticed tearing whilst playing a game, I can see it when looking for it in videos though.

Rat Salad

Banned
Dries said:

For a longtime I never noticed it nowdays I do. It does not bother me that much to be honest. I think when its excessive the tearing becomes annoyng for me but usually I just look past it. The first game where it was in your face constantly,where where I said "Damn they need to fix this" was probably Serious Sam for the XBox. Tear,tear,tear every time you turned left to right. Heavenly Sword was another that stays in my mind where I noticed it allot,but again I just looked past it. I guess each individual has a breaking point for a game. With some its sub 60 fps games, dithering in games,sub hd,or screen tearing.

GreekWolf said:
Zealots desperately wanted this to be an UC2 caliber title, capable of sweeping GOTY awards across all platforms. Instead, it seems to be a half-notch below that lofty category, occupying the same space as impressive titles like Heavy Rain, Resident Evil 5 and Dead Space.
Agreed. It is no where near the same level as the critically acclaimed Deadly Premonition, which is the pinnacle of survival horror this gen.

Significant tearing even after slashing the resolution in half!? Yeah, I'm passing, I just don't have the time to put up with stupid shit like that with my backlog. I'll buy it if it ever comes to PC or when its <£10 in a bargain bin, I really expected better from Remedy on a technical level.

qirex99

Banned
wow so AlanW joins Denis and his aborted trilogy in the bargain bin.

I'll prolly pick up AC2 and JC2 before these (from same bargain bin)

yep...i wait on non-MP games

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
qirex99 said:
wow so AlanW joins Denis and his aborted trilogy in the bargain bin.

I'll prolly pick up AC2 and JC2 before these (from same bargain bin)

yep...i wait on non-MP games
You have to be shitting me :lol

GreekWolf

RedRedSuit said:
I don't like to get too pedantic, but it's obviously true that it's not an unmitigated success by any standard. There are clearly standards by which it is not that. You listed some of them in your own post.
There's quite a difference between lofty standards and unreasonable expectations. Choosing to exclusively date women who look exactly like Natalie Portman, who also play professional soccer and sing opera, isn't indicative of a lofty standard... it's asinine.

In the same vein, if my personal expectation for a product far exceeds the company's history of similar products, then the blame lies entirely with me. When judged by fair and rational measurements of previous accomplishments within the industry, it's an unmitigated success.

Screen tearing? Well, I'm going to dismiss this entirely. No graphical hitches for me! It completely destroys any merit the game may offer.

:lol Can't wait, glad the reviews are good, media blackout from now on. See you guys on release day!

brain_stew said:
Significant tearing even after slashing the resolution in half!? Yeah, I'm passing, I just don't have the time to put up with stupid shit like that with my backlog. I'll buy it if it ever comes to PC or when its <£10 in a bargain bin, I really expected better from Remedy on a technical level.

I could never see myself skipping a game (or waiting for bargain bin) due to some technical issues. If I ever reach that point it would be disappointing to allow such things to hinder my enjoyment.

I do respect that technical faults can ruin the experience for some gamers though.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
brain_stew said:

yeah the tearing was bad , and that with lower res and not full open world as the original concept ,I think the problem is that they made the engine for high end PCs at first , instead of to building it around the 360 powers , what bugs me to no end is why they lied like that about the tearing , did they really though no one will notice it ?

Totobeni said:
yeah the tearing was bad , and that with lower res and not full open world as the original concept ,I think the problem is that they made the engine for high end PCs at first , instead of to building it around the 360 powers , what bugs me to no end why they lied like that about the tearing , did they really though no one will notice it ?
outside of gaf and sites dedicated to nitpick? probably not. regular gamers who just play probably won't really understand what it is anyways.

Watched The giant bomb quick look, god damn it they brought back the tv shows and radio plays. Fuck i'm getting a Giant Nostalgia trip back to Max Payne, stunning graphics, over the top story telling, and interesting shooting mechanics. Now i need to go on youtube to look up Lords and Ladies soap opera =D

Dabanton

Drinking Hatorade said:
I could never see myself skipping a game (or waiting for bargain bin) due to some technical issues. If I ever reach that point it would be disappointing to allow such things to hinder my enjoyment.

I do respect that technical faults can ruin the experience for some gamers though.

You do know who you're talking to right?

Top Bottom