• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Mr. Spinnington said:
done and done

i'm just bummed out it had to be forwarded through my site or else i could have played through it a couple times by now : [
read that as you want to be a couple. btw why is it in a paper sleeve? go play. install to HDD and tell us about the resolutions! unless you have an SDTV then get out and give me the game

mittelos

Nice scores, some great impressions, I just want to play the damn thing. Getting reviews early just makes the wait worse.

And yeah, tearing is the one graphical issue that bothers me in games. Disappointing, but I'll get over it.

rhino4evr said:
Microsoft SYNC in the car? Who even has that? Very, very few people...it make it even worse that this is a MS game too.

I find this product placement even more hilarious due to the fact that these cars have Sony audio systems :lol

snoopeasystreet said:
what's the spoiler level on the giant bomb quick look?

I didn't think it really spoiled anything. Nothing major at least. But it is 30 minuets of gameplay, and I do not know what you consider a spoiler.

Zinthar

GreekWolf said:
It's an unmitigated success, by any standard. Only a goof would suggest otherwise. I think the disappointment (from one camp) and glee (from another camp) stems from the fact that it won't be the 360's 90+ metacritic answer to high-profile PS3 exclusives, which have been garnering quite a bit of attention over the last several months.

Zealots desperately wanted this to be an UC2 caliber title, capable of sweeping GOTY awards across all platforms. Instead, it seems to be a half-notch below that lofty category, occupying the same space as impressive titles like Heavy Rain, Resident Evil 5 and Dead Space.

I'm incredibly excited for my copy to arrive next week, and congratulate Remedy for all their hard work and effort on another fantastic product.

Certainly not an unmitigated success, unless your standards are so low as to give that title to 30-40 games per year. It's not just that it won't sweep GOTY awards, it's that AW won't even be considered for a GOTY nomination on its platform or genre, and likely will be overshadowed by the other major 360 release coming out on the same day... RDR will more than likely be garnering high 8's and low 9's on average.

More to the point, it's the 2nd disappointment in a row from a 360-exclusive that previously looked to be a possible GOTY -- if it suffers the fate of Splinter Cell, AW will be largely forgotten by July. SC was a game that definitely needed another 6 months of dev time, and it leaves one to wonder whether AW needed that as well.

So in conjunction w/ RDR and then SMG2 one week later, AW moves from being a day 1 purchase to a maybe when it hits $25 or so w/ an Amazon deal.

Also, RE5 is not a half-notch below UC2 -- there's a very deep chasm in quality difference between those two.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Zinthar said:
Certainly not an unmitigated success, unless your standards are so low as to give that title to 30-40 games per year. It's not just that it won't sweep GOTY awards, it's that AW won't even be considered for a GOTY nomination on its platform or genre, and likely will be overshadowed by the other major 360 release coming out on the same day... RDR will more than likely be garnering high 8's and low 9's on average.

More to the point, it's the 2nd disappointment in a row from a 360-exclusive that previously looked to be a possible GOTY -- if it suffers the fate of Splinter Cell, AW will be largely forgotten by July. SC was a game that definitely needed another 6 months of dev time, and it leaves one to wonder whether AW needed that as well.

So in conjunction w/ RDR and then SMG2 one week later, AW moves from being a day 1 purchase to a maybe when it hits $25 or so w/ an Amazon deal.

Also, RE5 is not a half-notch below UC2 -- there's a very deep chasm in quality difference between those two.

lol

Zinthar

~Kinggi~ said:

I love well thought out responses like this. This seems to be the first game in a very long time that has truly inspired a Microsoft Defense Force. Pay your $60 and don't think for yourself.

Lunchbox

Banned
Zinthar said:

25gbia8.jpg

how many times are you gonna post the same stealth troll garbage? "this is another 360 exclusive no where the the high and mighty ness of the uncharted2, i will buy it when its 20$" .......you said that like 5 times in the last 2 pages

edit -

Zinthar said:
I love well thought out responses like this. This seems to be the first game in a very long time that has truly inspired a Microsoft Defense Force. Pay your $60 and don't think for yourself.

make that 6 :lol
youre more butthurt than the "M$ defense force" youre crying about

Foil

Zinthar said:

Zinthar said:
I love well thought out responses like this. This seems to be the first game in a very long time that has truly inspired a Microsoft Defense Force.

What the hell is wrong with you?

Pistolero

Zinthar said:
It's not just that it won't sweep GOTY awards, it's that AW won't even be considered for a GOTY nomination on its platform or genre
What other game in its genre would you place ahead of it, really? And except for ME2 -a game I'm no fan of I might add-, I haven't seen a better game that launchd on the 360 since the begininng of 2010.

if it suffers the fate of Splinter Cell, AW will be largely forgotten by July. SC was a game that definitely needed another 6 months of dev time, and it leaves one to wonder whether AW needed that as well.
Splinter Cell's weakness lies is its mixed bag technology. Alan Wake is quite a bit more impressive.
Agreed...but what does all of this have to do with Alan Wake?

Zinthar

Yeah, I'm stealth trolling w/ a Max Payne (well Mark Wahlberg as Max Payne) avatar just to make it all the more convincing, you got me. Certainly my posts have nothing to do with reasonable disappointment that AW didn't fulfill it's lofty expectations.

This thread should be renamed the "The Official Alan Wake thread of there shall be no dissent."

Zinthar said:
lol

Lunchbox

Banned
Zinthar said:
Yeah, I'm stealth trolling w/ a Max Payne (well Mark Wahlberg as Max Payne) avatar just to make it all the more convincing, you got me. Certainly my posts have nothing to do with reasonable disappointment that AW didn't fulfill it's lofty expectations.

This thread should be renamed the "The Official Alan Wake thread of there shall be no dissent."

lol

Zinthar

Pistolero said:
What other game in its genre would you place ahead of it, really? And except for ME2 -a game I'm no fan of I might add-, I haven't seen a better game that launchd on the 360 since the begininng of 2010.

Can't comment on where AW would fall in my book exactly b/c I haven't yet played it. But based off of objective factors, it's way below ME2 (which was awesome), and still below Bioshock 2 and Splinter Cell, which I was unimpressed with and have sold.

But I also own a PC, Wii, & PS3, so there's plenty of quality games to play.

Chrange

Banned
Zinthar said:

If it's getting great reviews and isn't living up to your expectations, despite having NEVER PLAYED IT, then isn't it safe to say you were never going to be happy with it?

a0037809_4be1730884e28.jpg

I had it off by 2 pixels in my previous reading due to not enough aliasing in those other shots.

I'm pretty confident that this one's 100% accurate.

a0037809_4be17d797ba1a.jpg

The prerecorded cut scenes were prerendered at 1280 x 720.

a0037809_4be181f037cbe.jpg

prerecorded cut scene

a0037809_4be1822805c27.jpg

in game

The lighting is quite different as well.

theBishop

Banned
So what's the deal with the PC version? Is it officially off? delayed?

I've been wanting this game since I first saw it, but if it's sub-HD and tears, maybe I'd rather run it on my 9800GT.

Zinthar

Chrange said:
If it's getting great reviews and isn't living up to your expectations, despite having NEVER PLAYED IT, then isn't it safe to say you were never going to be happy with it?

Again, the reviews definitely aren't 'great'. Admittedly, AW has a tougher job b/c it got placed in May against Read Dead Redemption & Mario Galaxy 2 and it's hard to justify the purchase of 3 new releases in one month.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'd bet they were compressed with bink (which is ass), and you're seeing nasty compression artifacts.

Lunchbox

Banned
Zinthar said:
This is GAF: most people have more than one console or platform at this point.

then why are you mad? go play them

why are you here crying about uncharted2 and 60$ on every single post? you've already made it clear you dont want this game, its not worth 60 bucks because its not a GOTY contender. will repeating yourself over and over help you sleep better?

Chrange

Banned
Zinthar said:
Again, the reviews definitely aren't 'great'. Admittedly, AW has a tougher job b/c it got placed in May against Read Dead Redemption & Mario Galaxy 2 and it's hard to justify the purchase of 3 new releases in one month.
You have to go down what...30 reviews before there's one that's under 80%? Yeah, shitty reviews bro :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
wait, my understanding was that there was an arcade cabinet in-game at which you could play uncharted 2

if i was misled i don't even see the point of this game

ShogunX

Zinthar said:
Certainly my posts have nothing to do with reasonable disappointment that AW didn't fulfill it's lofty expectations.

Shouldn't you maybe play the game first before posting stuff like this?

alr1ght

Chrange said:
You have to go down what...30 reviews before there's one that's under 80%? Yeah, shitty reviews bro :lol

Where does he say that they're shitty? Buying things that are only AAA (according to reviews) is what a lot of people do with their $60.

Canova

Banned
brain_stew said:
Pretty much every (real) daytime shot I've seen does tbh.

sflufan said:
1up's review is now available: B+

Their main graphics complaint involves the daylight scenes.

well, this review explains it

Though, Alan Wake's fantastic night gets, well, a bit ugly once daylight hits. While most of the suspense and action gameplay occurs at night, you then spend time either navigating the world or gaining more exposition, during daylight. It's here that Alan Wake's visuals falter; as oppressive, opaque, and spooky as the night is, the clarity of day amplifies its flaws. Pop-up becomes more obvious (driving sequences during the day shows that the shrubs on the side of the road must be fertilized with some potent version of Miracle-Gro), textures that no longer hide behind shadow and small pockets of precious light look quite unrefined during the brightest day, shadows look downright jaggy and low-res and "normal" (meaning unpossessed and not swinging an axe) characters look a bit too stiff and artificial. At best, it's "not as good" as night, but it also occasionally dips into "this is just plain ugly" territory.

Does anyone know if the PC version was really canceled? I'm more inclined to believe that it was just delayed indefinitely to position Alan Wake as a 360 exclusive. I would purchase the 360 version, but since I've recently become a PC "graphics whore", I'm reluctant to spend $60 if a version with higher image quality will be released later.

alr1ght

yeah, that happened with SCC too. The one mission in the daytime was pretty ugly compared to the rest of the game.

jedimike

Zinthar said:
blah, blah, blah

Jesus christ... 10 years on GAF and I've never put anyone on my ignore list until now. We get it, you don't want to play the game... you made your point - dozens of times, now get out of this thread already. It's not for you.

edit: added sensitivity

ShogunX

alr1ghtstart said:
Where does he say that they're shitty? Buying things that are only AAA (according to reviews) is what a lot of people do with their $60.

Thats just not true in the slightest. You might have a handful of people buying AAA games only but even then what exactly makes a game AAA? Review Scores? Budget? Marketing? Sales? Performance? Popularity?

Somebody buying AAA games isn't going to be making an awful lot of purchases per year nor are they going to enjoy multiple genres.

ColonelColon said:
Does anyone know if the PC version was really canceled? I'm more inclined to believe that it was just delayed indefinitely to position Alan Wake as a 360 exclusive. I would purchase the 360 version, but since I've recently become a PC "graphics whore", I'm reluctant to spend $60 if a version with higher image quality will be released later.

Nobody actually knows whats going on with the PC version except probably Microsoft. Apparently it's up to them whether or not the game see's the light of day on the PC and going by their recent form it doesn't look all that likely. I guess it depends on the sales of the 360 version.

Can I ask how some of the posters in here are getting away with some of the trolling that's going on in an OFFICIAL THREAD?

Isn't that what the OTHER thread was for?

Oh that's right, this is a 360 exclusive, carry on.

sflufan

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:
but even then what exactly makes a game AAA? Review Scores? Budget? Marketing? Sales? Performance? Popularity?

Exactly.

I personally consider the entire notion of "AAA" to be complete and utter nonsense. It's something that should be expunged from the gaming vernacular (along with "epic").

Lunchbox

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Can I ask how some of the posters in here are getting away with some of the trolling that's going on in an OFFICIAL THREAD?

youre just part of the M$ defense force bro i have other consoles and uncharted2 is the best game ive ever played

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
2 Minutes Turkish said:

Oh puh-leez, give that a rest.

If anything this goes to show how important a separate review thread is for a major release like this. Surprised no one did it for this game.

edit: wow at that Lynch vid. :lol

Top Bottom