• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

mescalineeyes said:
you think if I was a graphics whore, I'd be a console gamer? :lol

I consider graphic whore, every person that while playing a game, instead of enjoying it is thinking the game should be released in another platform just to make it look better....

mescalineeyes said:
Well since MS was nice enough to send me a review copy, I guess I should, eh? :lol

I really love the game, though. Like, really really.

Cool, be sure to post it here. Yeah, I'm still a bit sceptical but I guess I will be happy as long as the story lives up to my expectations. (Bright Falls episodes are so awesome)

Relaxed Muscle said:
I consider graphic whore, every person that while playing a game, instead of enjoying it is thinking the game should be released in another platform just to make it look better....

I am enjoying it so much though! I can't even play it on anything else, my only computer is a 3 year old macbook pro :D
Just saying, the amount of detail in this game gets a bit lost due to the excessively low resolution.

BeeDog

Domcorleone said:
Hey Just beat the game I wanted to give some very basic impressions

-Game looks beautiful at night, day time it looks cool but a noticable visual downgrade from night.
-voice acting leaves much to be desired ,better than say heavy rain, but I expected better, also the lip syncing is awful, its like they didn't even try
-the storyline was a bit silly to me, especially since the game seemed to try to be grounded in some sort of reality and they wanted to make Wake an "everyman" (I know this is vague but I cant share my gripes with the story in depth due to spoilers)
-speaking of story, some characters seem to be complete filler and they never truly explain their purpose of why they are there, i think a lot of characters could have been fleshed out more. Granted, i didnt collected all the manuscripts so they might be fleshed out in them (I got like 80 outta 100)
-the game proves genuine thrills and as a great atmosphere combined with good music
-Combat is fun and exciting, however enemies often attack you off camera which is really annoying and tend to cheap shot you
-I loved, loved the narration during the gameplay, that's what i loved about Max Payne, its done better here minus the writing
-the game gets very repetitive towards the final chapters as they do very little to vary the game play, and driving sections were useless. I simply got tired of going through the woods, it felt like a glorified corridor kind of like MGS3
-dodging sucks but looks cool when you do it right,
-When running Wake get tired far too quickly, and at time you are put in situations where the only viable option is to run, so combine his god awful run speed with off camera attacking and you will most certainly be annoyed at the hard parts
-Episodic aspects of the game are completely useless, they didnt have to break it up they way they did unless it was a digital download or DLC.
-Find and reading the manuscripts are fun and give you more backstory
-the game took me two days to beat and about 10-12 hrs

So those are my impressions, I loved Max Payne 1 and 2 and this is a step down to me from writing, storyline and VA. The game simply feels a bit dated, like 2 years or so just like the eurogamer review said. But it still was an enjoyable game and well worth my time playing. Keep in mind this is just my opinion on the game, just wanted to share it with you guys. Overall I'd give it a solid B. The next game has potential.

The bolded part is a bit of a headscratch. Since the game doesn't allow you to purchase the episodes as you see fit or as they're developed (compare with Telltale games and Siren: Blood Curse which failed in its episodic aspect from a story presentation perspective), why would you opt for an episodic structure if it doesn't contribute to anything? I honestly can't think of a reason. The episodes aren't that long so they require recaps to bring the player up to speed again on the story, or? Or does the complex story warrant recaps? Am I missing something obvious?

So far, there's only one thing I don't like about the game:

awhud.jpg

It won't ever go away! So distracting from the otherwise lovely vistas.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
mescalineeyes said:
So far, there's only one thing I don't like about the game:

awhud.jpg

It won't ever go away! So distracting from the otherwise lovely vistas.

That mini-map looks like a spartan helmet.

BeeDog said:
The bolded part is a bit of a headscratch. Since the game doesn't allow you to purchase the episodes as you see fit or as they're developed (compare with Telltale games and Siren: Blood Curse [which failed in its episodic aspect]), why would you opt for an episodic structure if it doesn't contribute to anything? I honestly can't think of a reason. The episodes aren't that long so they require recaps to bring the player up to speed again on the story, or? Or does the complex story warrant recaps?

Sorry I mean, the recaps and everything are useless in this game because the whole game is all on one disc, if the game was like Siren then the eposide nature would make more sense, or in future DLC if they did an episodic structure it would make sense. Sorry i worded it incorrectly, it would make sense to do it the way i suggested because each episode wouldnt be available to u right then and there you would have to wait til the next one comes out, but since this game has all the chapters it supposed to have, I dont need a recap of what i just play 1 min ago.I dont want a break to hear a song to the ending of the episode I wanna play the game

mescalineeyes said:
I am enjoying it so much though! I can't even play it on anything else, my only computer is a 3 year old macbook pro :D
Just saying, the amount of detail in this game gets a bit lost due to the excessively low resolution.

Of course, it could have looked better on PC, but the game is released on 360 and there's no PC version planned, it's useless to think "what could have been"

Wii games looks awful in my friends HD TV, and you know what? after playing for a few minutes it dosn't matter.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the game.The eurogamer review really killed the hype for me, I need more positive impressions! :lol

BeeDog

Domcorleone said:
Sorry I mean, the recaps and everything are useless in this game because the whole game is all on one disc, if the game was like Siren then the eposide nature would make more sense, or in future DLC if they did an episodic structure it would make sense. Sorry i worded it incorrectly, it would make sense to do it the way i suggested because each episode wouldnt be available to u right then and there you would have to wait til the next one comes out, but since this game has all the chapters it supposed to have, I dont need a recap of what i just play 1 min ago.I dont want a break to hear a song to the ending of the episode I wanna play the game

You formulated yourself perfectly fine, I was trying to say the exact same thing you just said now. :D

Relaxed Muscle said:
I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the game.The eurogamer review really killed the hype for me, I need more positive impressions! :lol

Don't let it. I mean all her complaints are factually correct, but this game oozes soul and atmosphere. If you like Heavy Rain, Silent Hill and/or Max Payne you will not come away disappointed.

BeeDog said:
The bolded part is a bit of a headscratch. Since the game doesn't allow you to purchase the episodes as you see fit or as they're developed (compare with Telltale games and Siren: Blood Curse which failed in its episodic aspect from a story presentation perspective), why would you opt for an episodic structure if it doesn't contribute to anything? I honestly can't think of a reason. The episodes aren't that long so they require recaps to bring the player up to speed again on the story, or? Or does the complex story warrant recaps? Am I missing something obvious?

Might be a stretch, but my guess is that the episodic structure was put into place to make up for and tie in the new linear direction they had to go for after scrapping the open-world design.

g.r.e. said:
And the "Reach" in the same picture...subliminal messages?:lol

Dude, like, I am not even kidding, it says Reach so many times you would think so. Judging by all the product placement in the game, it doesn't seem too out there :lol

But that little mission objective thing seriously never goes away.

BeeDog

riceandbeans said:
Might be a stretch, but my guess is that the episodic structure was put into place to make up for and tie in the new linear direction they had to go for after scrapping the open-world design.

But what would it make up for exactly? Since the game was remade to be linear, there's no need to recap everything every hour or two, right? Either way, for now I'll chalk it up to being an artistic choice that in a vague way reflects the chapter division in a novel. :p

BeeDog said:

Episodic structure is there so that people could play the game in bite-sized chunks. Remedy and Microsoft are hoping to attract more casual audiences to the game as well - horror/thriller fans that are not necessarily core gamers, older gamers with less free time and so on. Hence the whole Bright Falls campaign.

BeeDog

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Episodic structure is there so that people could play the game in bite-sized chunks. Remedy and Microsoft are hoping to attract more casual audiences to the game as well - horror/thriller fans that are not necessarily core gamers, older gamers with less free time and so on. Hence the whole Bright Falls campaign.

Fair point, but I personally would say that conflicts (a bit) with the gameplay of the game, since it's still essentially a shooter that requires reflexes from the player (e.g. dodging attacks etc.) might be hard for more casual thriller lovers. But I guess the apparent forgiving difficulty of Normal balances everything out.

Hammer24

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
..., older gamers with less free time and so on...

That´d be me. I can seldom eke out more than two hours of successive game time, so I´m pretty happy with that decision. I hate having to leave a game mid-mission.

Prine

Banned
Mr. Spinnington said:
game just threw me my first legitimate scare. now, up until now it's been sort of creepy and ominous in an engaging way, a little unsettling but i have a seak constitution for silent hill and this isn't bothering me. that is-- up until just now

i'm not sure if it was a happy coincidence or triggered event but inside a cabin i just saw through a window one of the 'taken' appear and pass by, then not pass by the other window. they just disappeared again. i actually took a minute to gain courage to leave. this game has a lot of subtle 'did i just see that?' scares that just suffocate you with its atmosphere. enemies are invisible but have form just before appearing, so you may see in the distance a bush or two brush apart as if a form is walking through them, and when things get really hairy well the moving foliage is both breathtaking and very brooding. that is all, impressions in a while

side note-- i'm loving the 'twilight zone' type tv show that you can find on televisions

Amazing. And finally people are playing the game so we can now focus on the gameplay rather than scores.

Here. We. Go.

conman

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Episodic structure is there so that people could play the game in bite-sized chunks.
Even bigger reason is the game's "citational" quality. It doesn't just include references to TV shows, novels, movies, games, etc. It's also designed to structurally resemble those things.

Diamond

I think the episodic structure worked really well. It's not like it was absolutely necessary, but it brings rhythm to the game. You finish a chapter, BAM!, you have your classic cliffhanger, then you have a *real* good song at the end, then a little "Previously on Alan Wake" sequence. It's nothing extraordinary but it is well executed, and I think it would have been a shame for Remedy not to chose this option.

Is the game out in the wild yet? Are these review copies people are talking about, or can the game be found in the mom and pops yet? I'm in the NYC/NJ area, but I haven't checked the usual spots yet.

chris121580

Game is absolutely fantastic. The environments are incredible and seriously make you feel almost overwhelmed at times. So many times I would just stop for a moment to look around and take it all in. I haven't experienced this kind of intense atmosphere in a game since playing Dead Space. The controls feel very good but it took me about a good hour to get used to and feel comfortable with the shooting mechanic. The story is also really great and can't wait to see the conclusion. I'll be starting episode 6 this weekend.

chris121580 said:
Game is absolutely fantastic. The environments are incredible and seriously make you feel almost overwhelmed at times. So many times I would just stop for a moment to look around and take it all in. I haven't experienced this kind of intense atmosphere in a game since playing Dead Space. The controls feel very good but it took me about a good hour to get used to and feel comfortable with the shooting mechanic.

I've just started it too and I feel the exact same way!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Chrange said:
I got tired of holding out.

dovtyp.jpg

You can clearly see the chart was created initially at a much lower resolution, then scaled for output. The compression is horrendous.

Jesus :lol

Lothars

mescalineeyes said:
Wait until you play it. You will be begging for a PC version to do the insane amount of detail in this game justice.

I would be shocked if a PC version is not announced in the next couple months but I will be picking it up at least right away on 360 and we will see after that.

chris121580

TheVampire said:
I've just started it too and I feel the exact same way!
Just wait til you get deeper into the game. The environments become even more vast and detailed. And not that it's already blatantly obvious but I just can't say enough about the lighting. Incredible feat they've accomplished with it.

legbone

LOZLINK said:
Flashlight as a crosshair=WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING
It's not clever, it's not creative, it's plain fucking retarded. I don't wanna hear any of that "bu bu it's more immersive' bullshit either.

i thought it was a brilliant idea.

Lt Thunderpants

Neo Member
Diamond_4444 said:
I think the episodic structure worked really well. It's not like it was absolutely necessary, but it brings rhythm to the game. You finish a chapter, BAM!, you have your classic cliffhanger, then you have a *real* good song at the end, then a little "Previously on Alan Wake" sequence. It's nothing extraordinary but it is well executed, and I think it would have been a shame for Remedy not to chose this option.

My only complaint was that the episodes were a little too far on the long side. Loved the format, wished they were less than 2+ hours long. Especially when I wanted to do some exploring.

legbone

mescalineeyes said:
Dude, like, I am not even kidding, it says Reach so many times you would think so. Judging by all the product placement in the game, it doesn't seem too out there :lol

But that little mission objective thing seriously never goes away.

pardon me while i adjust my tinfoil hat but they are both microsoft exclusives.

but seriously, i am glad to hear some episodes are long. i was worried they would be too short.

modeps

Neo Member
In case you all are looking for another review, mine is up over on EvilAvatar. Feedback is appreciated. I gave it a 4 out of 5.

Honestly, it's a really good game, but certainly has some issues and doesn't end well.

These impressions are fantastic thanks for all the feedback guys. Any of you that managed get the game early did you pick it up in Europe or in the us?

derFeef

Weekend Confirmed reviews Alan Wake (spoiler free they say). Very eager for what they have to say.
Those impressions above sound fantastic, thanks guys.

Edit: Wow they are loving the game, they are so enthusiastic.

Naruto

For those of you who are playing the game, am I the only one who thinks the manuscript pages thing is stupid? It basically just gives me spoilers as to what's gonna happen next, and why would anyone want that? I've stopped reading them after the first episode.

Anyway, I'm nearing the end of episode 4 and the game kicks ass. I just love the atmosphere, and the story keeps pulling me in. The gunplay actually work really well, and the way you dodge adds a cinematic feel. The only real issues I've had with the game so far are with the presentation. Facial expressions are just bad, and the lip synching in this game is just terrible, I've seen last gen games who've done both of them better. Also, I wished that there were more variety in the environments, especially at night.

But these don't take away from the experience much, I'm really enjoying this game and just pray to god that the awesome story that has been building up wtill now won't get screwed up.

The fact that so many people are getting this game now and playing it is driving me nuts! AHHHHHHHH. Sorry had to vent. I must say though, from all the thoughts on the game, the good and the bad, I feel I will fall in the good category simple because the bad doesn't sound that bad to me. Guess will see come May 18th.

FrankT

Gamespot Review here, pretty positive overall;

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/alanwake/review.html

Creepy atmosphere, fantastic combat, and clever storytelling make Alan Wake's quest thrilling from beginning to end.

The Good

* Fresh storytelling fleshes out the supernatural events in interesting ways
* Satisfying combat mechanic makes disposing of evil creatures a blast
* Subtle lighting effects and a moody soundtrack create a disturbing atmosphere
* Optional collectibles are well worth risking your life to grab. ..

Bad:-

Lacks surprising, memorable gameplay moments.

Great

The most interesting aspect of the storytelling comes in the form of optional collectibles you find as you wind your way through dimly lit forests. Pages from your unpublished manuscript lie just off the beaten path, and it's in your best interest to snatch these up even though you have to venture deep into the deadly forests to do so. These passages frequently foreshadow events, giving you a snippet of something terrifying waiting for you around the bend. Other times, they fill in details tangential to your own quest, giving you a peek at what other people in the town are up to. These pages flesh out the story in fascinating ways, but there are even more elements tucked away if your eyes are sharp. Abandoned TVs and radio sets can be switched on to trigger brief expositions that give you another look at what is going on just beneath the surface. The television show is particularly intriguing. Modeled after The Twilight Zone, these creepy scenes contains all the twists and moral lessons the classic series is known for.

Exploration is as important as combat when trying to make your way through these haunted woods. Going off the beaten path is the only way you can find the missing manuscripts and television sets, and there are hidden weapon caches that aid you in fending off this unrelenting horde.

Above all else, Alan Wake’s gripping storytelling really sells the protagonist as a famous author. Every moment of this story is fraught with tension. Wake's narration is filled with as many questions as answers because he has no explanation for the strange events occurring all around him. And the missing pieces from the manuscript, radio program, and television show are doled out in such deliberate chunks that they slowly string you along until the full secret is revealed at the end. The clever storytelling ties in with the dreary atmosphere, building on the fear established from the very beginning with subtle use of lighting and a moody musical score

The excellent combat builds on the fantastic storytelling, ensuring there is never a dull moment during this roughly 12-hour adventure.

Telegraph review here;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/7681625/Alan-Wake-video-game-review.html

eshwaaz

Gamespot said:
Exploration is as important as combat when trying to make your way through these haunted woods. Going off the beaten path is the only way you can find the missing manuscripts and television sets, and there are hidden weapon caches that aid you in fending off this unrelenting horde.
Fantastic - that's what I want to hear.

FrankT

derFeef said:
Weekend Confirmed reviews Alan Wake (spoiler free they say). Very eager for what they have to say.
Those impressions above sound fantastic, thanks guys.

Edit: Wow they are loving the game, they are so enthusiastic.

Those are some awesome impressions. "One of my favorite video game experiences." Garnett; "I would agree."

Awesome awesome. Ehh come on 18th.

I love the fact they call out Barry as being a really great character experience. Story elements sounds superb.

adamsapple

I'm surprised GS didn't score it higher considering the text .. it reads like a 9 ~ 9.5 easy, it's like they were waiting for a meta score to average up before committing themselves ..

anywho, weekend confirmed stuff sounds great, can't wait to listen to Garnett and see if it lived up to him.

derFeef

chandoog said:
I'm surprised GS didn't score it higher considering the text .. it's like they were waiting for a meta score to average up before committing themselves ..

anywho, weekend confirmed stuff sounds great, can't wait to listen to Garnett and see if it lived up to him.
You just figured out how gamespot works. And you will not be disappointed ;)

Edit: Question to the ones that have played the game:
Does the book pages unlock different things or are they just some kind of foresight.
Also - did you notice the "dynamic" difficulty?

adamsapple

derFeef said:
You just figured out how gamespot works. And you will not be disappointed ;)

I know it's really weird .. the review is entirely made up of positive sentences outside of the one con and half a line about Wake's animation. It's bizarre.

Top Bottom