• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Pooya

derFeef said:
You just figured out how gamespot works. And you will not be disappointed ;)
I don't think so, for example their review for Resonance of Fate came out much later than everybody else (like 3 weeks) and it scored much higher (rightfully) than everywhere else, they have fair scores IMO, not ridiculously overrated (Jade Empire) or underrated scores (God Hand) like IGN for sure.

Peff

Does the book pages unlock different things or are they just some kind of foresight.

They're just foresight as far as I know.

I could try a bit of chapter 4 in a friend's house (curse you GAME for only shipping online orders!) and the atmosphere is really fantastic, with fog, lightning, the TV shows and the dark pressence. The tearing is definitely noticeable during the daytime but not so much during the night where the game truly shines. The combat is no more repetitive than any other big game, it's true that there's not a lot of enemy variety, but it's usually well mixed-up by having them pop-up in unexpected places, letting you enter a cabin, a maze, a car or just dodging the dark pressence without enemies. The Spanish dub is awesome, MS hired most of the cast from Lost and people that usually dub movies and it shows, plus the sound itself is very good.

The dodging controls are a bit wonky sometimes (The duck and run animation doesn't really put you out of reach most of the time so you have to be careful) but nothing too terrible. Really looking forward to playing the full game :D

Diamond

derFeef said:
Edit: Question to the ones that have played the game:
Does the book pages unlock different things or are they just some kind of foresight.
Also - did you notice the "dynamic" difficulty?

As Peff said, they are mainly foresight, but on occasion they just tell you how some things happened when you were not there or the thoughts of the other characters. And sometimes it's just some cool text. I don't want to spoil this but everyone should play the game again on Nightmare difficulty because there is this one page you find in the middle of the game that does an awesome/hilarious mise en abyme. I had a big smile on my face when I read it.:D

I didn't really notice the dynamic difficulty, if Remedy hadn't talk about it I don't think a lot of people could tell if it's in the game or not.

BeeDog said:
The bolded part is a bit of a headscratch. Since the game doesn't allow you to purchase the episodes as you see fit or as they're developed (compare with Telltale games and Siren: Blood Curse which failed in its episodic aspect from a story presentation perspective), why would you opt for an episodic structure if it doesn't contribute to anything? I honestly can't think of a reason. The episodes aren't that long so they require recaps to bring the player up to speed again on the story, or? Or does the complex story warrant recaps? Am I missing something obvious?

Yeah not so much.

Gigglepoo

chandoog said:
I'm surprised GS didn't score it higher considering the text .. it reads like a 9 ~ 9.5 easy, it's like they were waiting for a meta score to average up before committing themselves ..

Man, it would be impossible to write reviews if I had to follow that crazy mentality. Games don't start at 10 and go down with problems. I had very few issues with Alan Wake (obviously) but it also didn't reach that special place reserved for 9s. Still great, one of my favorites of the year so far, but it did feel safe and predictable.

the tearing at the beginning of chapter 4 is unbelievably bad. and it's like this for at least 10 minutes

god damn they did not program well for daytime scenarios ;p

Mr. Spinnington said:
the tearing at the beginning of chapter 4 is unbelievably bad. and it's like this for at least 10 minutes

i call that a feature. no reviewers talked about it? tsk tsk.

hamchan

Mr. Spinnington said:

:(

Well that's unfortunate.

I agree with the comment about how the chapters could handle being a bit shorter (say 45min-1hr) I wouldn't want any content cut to make that happen though.

Really enjoyed the overall experience. Loved one particular part, bit of a spoiler so I'll refrain.

Most of the negatives I found were pretty inconsequential.

Pooya

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Does anyone know what Microsoft/Remedy's predicted sales are for Alan Wake? I'm just curious.
I don't know but it better sell well :(.

cvg said:
He said: "We are betting the farm on [Alan Wake] and if this isn't a success we'll be selling hotdogs in Helsinki. Really.

"We were in a good situation after Max Payne 2 and we invested everything after selling the intellectual property and putting it back into the love of making videogames."

He added: "Everything's gone into this project so this will ultimately set us up for how we continue and how many videogames we can make in the future."
CVG

burgerdog said:
They are not going to patch shit, just accept the fact that it tears already.
yes, unfortunately you have to just accept the fact that it just tears, sometimes in a level that causes it to for almost 20 minutes ;p

as amazing as this game can look, it's a mixed bag at times with some seactinos where the tearing is inexplicably bad, or textures are muddy, and even showing off some two-year-old pop-in. but for all that, and every ugly part of the game that reminds you it is a game, there are about three times as many 'wow' moments or set pieces that make you forget about its shortcomings

if only those stumbles didn't have to keep rearing their ugly head after every time the spectacle brings you back to loving the game. this is going to be a divisive title, between people who can't take some of the visual dips, be it cutscene lotteries [whether or not they fit with the game world's toning and then seem to be an entirely different setting, or just come out too pixelated at times] or simply things like tearing or textures-- lip-syncing, and then people who just don't like design choices like breaking sections up as 'episodes'.

then there will be people like me who love it despite everything because the set pieces are one after another and the game has a great pace at least through the first half which is where i've gotten to so far. i recognize everything wrong with ti and will keep that in mind when i write a review, but as a game it's definitely got me hooked as far as running through the mountains and warding off the supernatural has to go. there have been some pretty epic moments and chases, so i can definitely see where inspiration from films has leaked into alan wake. it's a very good thing to have leak in

oh and the driving sections are worthless, but they do at least keep from some loooooong backtracking. they will be complained about, like a few other gameplay elements, but keep in mind the game is not perfect-- it's just really, really fun most of the time

Mr. Spinnington said:

Can someone explain screen tearing? I hear people bitch about it all the time. Is this when there's a line break in the level geometry or something? I guess it's because i've been gaming since the 2600, because i never seem to notice or be bothered by this screen tearing stuff.

Pooya

GillianSeed79 said:
Can someone explain screen tearing? I hear people bitch about it all the time. Is this when there's a line break in the level geometry or something? I guess it's because i've been gaming since the 2600, because i never seem to notice or be bothered by this screen tearing stuff.
Screen Tearing

797px-Tearing_%28simulated%29.jpg

demonicmurry

Neo Member
None of you understand, Bright Falls is so messed up that screen tears just illustrate how pervasive the darkness in the town is spreading! Psychological thriller genius!

soco

screen tearing is far more obvious in bright scenes than it is in darker ones -- except when there's some high contrast.

i mostly noticed it in PDZ, for example, in the dark rooms where you had the sort of pillars of light.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
screen-tearing over frame-rate drops any day of the week

or

if I have to take it, I'd like to take it riiiiiight here~

edit: oh wow, this is the alan wake thread. game looks kind of cool. the more I hear about it on podcasts and the like the more I become interested. I haven't bought a 360 game since... er, Bayonetta, I guess. But before that it was a pretty long ass time. I think I'll get this after a price-drop.

Rad-

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Does anyone know what Microsoft/Remedy's predicted sales are for Alan Wake? I'm just curious.

I think it was Remedy that said they'd be happy with 2 million but hoped it would sell even way more. Max Payne 1 sold around 5 million but I seriously doubt AW reaches those numbers. 2 million can be done though.

Upto episode 3 now and the game is fantastic.
Combat is really rock solid, I love pulling off a slowmo dodge.

And also!

Remember in uncharted 2 how there was that bit with a blue flare or light thing?
Well the flares in Alan Wake are great, I love the graphical effect. Its really pretty and what really impressed me was shooting a flare gun into the sky and seeing it slowly fall down with the red/pinkish light, lighting up all the trees around it.

conman

Hmmm. I'm usually pretty sensitive to things like tearing. Only noticed it briefly in a couple of daylight sequences. No big deal at all. Regardless, I'd take tearing over framerate issues any day.

Rez said:
screen-tearing over frame-rate drops any day of the week

Definitely, although it would be great if there was no tearing and no frame drops. Besides, according to Remedy, tearing in Alan Wake happens only when the frame rate dips below 30 fps.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Definitely, although it would be great if there was no tearing and no frame drops. Besides, according to Remedy, tearing in Alan Wake happens only when the frame rate dips below 30 fps.

Why else should it happen?!

derFeef

mescalineeyes said:
I mean I love the game, but no... not really.
Care to elaborate? Everyone so far is saying the combat works great.
Also - that DF article is something else, I am missing the technical things a lot. They seem a bit whiney.

hitoshi

derFeef said:
Also - that DF article is something else, I am missing the technical things a lot. They seem a bit whiney.

And it's true, it works great - nothing revolutionary, what you see at the beginning is what you get at the end. It could have been a lot more diverse, but there is no problem with it.

lockload

Heads up for anyone watching the eurogamer tech analysis videos the video on page 3 (first one) has a story spoiler towards the end that cannot now be removed from my mind and its a pretty big one too

Typical shoddy eurogamer

Ive contacted them to request they remove..

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Constant HUD that can't be removed or fades out is a WAY bigger problem than tearing in a 10 minute segment guys -_-

derFeef

chandoog said:
Constant HUD that can't be removed or fades out is a WAY bigger problem than tearing in a 10 minute segment guys -_-
Yeah the hud is by far the biggest problem I am having watching the videos. They could have at least make it fade away during non-combat parts.

schennmu said:
Why else should it happen?!

Tearing happens when GPU's frame rate is not synchronized with the display's vertical refresh rate. As such, it can occur at any frame rate not synchronized with the refresh rate.

chandoog said:

When have people become so sensitive to HUDs? I know some games do away with them, but I've been playing video games with HUDs for more than 20 years so they don't really bother me. More screen space is always welcome, but it's not like I will forget I'm playing a video game if the HUD is not there.

adamsapple

Sorry if this was mentioned but Eurogamer did their routine Tech Analysis with the final build of the game, and it's mostly positive whilst acknowledging some of the technical hiccups we already know of.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-alanwake-tech-analysis?page=1

In closing, we shouldn't lose focus of the fact that Alan Wake is a unique experience on console, technologically ambitious and beautiful to behold. For this reason alone, it's clearly worth serious consideration. But in many ways, Remedy's game reminds us of the original Assassin's Creed: the basic building blocks for a bloody good game are in evidence and the technology is clearly state-of-the-art. However, the comparisons with the Ubisoft game are valid in another way: both have amazing tech, and both fall somewhat short in terms of what the core gameplay experience offers.

derFeef said:

it's like your bullet's don't do shit. maybe because I started my first playthrough on hard, because I wanted it to scare me. so far, no luck. upping the difficulty just made me dread the combat because, I mean, there's really no better way of saying it than "I'm not feeling it."

that being said, the game is super enjoyable.

also: the HUD is driving me insane, too.

eso76

yay for shops breaking street dates :D

game can give you goosebumps
i loved the twilight zone-like tv shows (is there a way to watch them again from the menu, like you do with radio shows, though ? doesn't look like it)

End of episode 1 left me awestruck, with a smile on my face. Incredibly well done with the
roy orbison song
playing which caused a very...artistic dissonance with the atmospheres of the game. Loved the "previously on alan wake" bit, and thought it would be cool if the game didn't allow you to play next episode before a week on x360 internal clock (which, however, is just not possible).

After that you start seeing the problems with the game, my main gripe at the time would be this very rigid structure which does little to hide the fact the game alternates short daytime sequences (with little to no gameplay) and action/night sequences which are suddenly triggered.
Daytime sequences could have been fleshed out a lot more; i'm not saying they should have kept the sandbox structure, but i would have preferred something like Shenmue, with a little more adventure/exploration between action sequences, and a proper day/night cycle. But it's still early in the game and there's a lot of other good things about Alan Wake anyway.

@ mescalineeyes

Certainly a unique opinion it seems, I haven't read any other pre/review highlighting the combat as being a negative. Quite the contrary.

derFeef

mescalineeyes said:
it's like your bullet's don't do shit. maybe because I started my first playthrough on hard, because I wanted it to scare me. so far, no luck. upping the difficulty just made me dread the combat because, I mean, there's really no better way of saying it than "I'm not feeling it."

that being said, the game is super enjoyable.

also: the HUD is driving me insane, too.
Hm, that does not compute with "not rock solid combat" because your complains are not about the mechanic itself. So it seems like you are just having problems with the difficulty? Is it frustrating?

adamsapple

@mescalineeyes separate from your bullet argument, does the whole "shine light until dark stuff vanishes" mechanic get tiring or is it fast enough to be not an issue ?

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
thanks to my friend i got to play it up to episode 5:D its a great game:D my only grip is that enemies attack you off camera and tend to cheap shot you and for some stupid reason alan cant run ,this problem is nearly destroying alan wake experince for me

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Tearing happens when GPU's frame rate is not synchronized with the display's vertical refresh rate. As such, it can occur at any frame rate not synchronized with the refresh rate.

Your point being? We know that Alan Wake is a 30fps game.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
daxter01 said:
thanks to my friend i got to play it up to episode 5:D its a great game:D my only grip is that enemies attack you off camera and tend to cheap shot you and for some stupid reason alan cant run ,this problem is nearly destroying alan wake experince for me
Doesn't LB make Alan Wake sprint?

Top Bottom