• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

LCfiner

The Giantbomb quicklook sold me on this one. Atmosphere is second to none. I’m a sucker for a good setting.

And the combat looked pretty great.

BeeDog

Figured I might ask here, so please don't crucify me:

How does the aiming actually work? The game seems to emulate the Resident Evil 4/5 style of aiming, but since the flashlight beam is much wider than the RE laser sight, it doesn't seem to be as precise (since you may have to adjust the flashlight/aim a bit more, and the immediate red dot line-up isn't possible). Several reviews mention the great combat controls, but when I watch videos, some players seem to miss a lot of shots mainly because of trouble lining the focused beam up. Is this just a case of crappy players, or? Also, does the beam have a slight sticky aim to it?

Alan Wake Metacritic
Summary Statistics

Mean......... 85.05263158
Standard Error........ 0.982019987
Median........ 85
Mode.......... 90
Standard Deviation..... 6.05357776
Sample Variance........ 36.6458037
Kurtosis....... 0.022196053
Skewness.... -0.629126248
Range....... 25
Minimum....... 70
Maximum...... 95
Sum.......... 3232
Count........ 38

expy

Banned
TheLegendary said:
Alan Wake Metacritic
Summary Statistics

Median........ 85
Mode.......... 90
Range....... 25
Minimum....... 70
Maximum...... 95
Sum.......... 3232
Count........ 38

Didn't NowGamer give it a 68?
http://xbox-360.nowgamer.com/reviews/xbox-360/9171/alan-wake

Syriel

BeeDog said:
Figured I might ask here, so please don't crucify me:

How does the aiming actually work? The game seems to emulate the Resident Evil 4/5 style of aiming, but since the flashlight beam is much wider than the RE laser sight, it doesn't seem to be as precise (since you may have to adjust the flashlight/aim a bit more, and the immediate red dot line-up isn't possible). Several reviews mention the great combat controls, but when I watch videos, some players seem to miss a lot of shots mainly because of trouble lining the focused beam up. Is this just a case of crappy players, or? Also, does the beam have a slight sticky aim to it?

The aiming is *VERY* forgiving. At least on the standard mode.

If you're missing your shots, it's because of major suckage on the part of the player.

It's harder to miss than it is to hit.

spidye

TheLegendary said:
Alan Wake Metacritic
Summary Statistics

Median........ 85
Mode.......... 90
Range....... 25
Minimum....... 70
Maximum...... 95
Sum.......... 3232
Count........ 38
:lol

Prine

Banned
Truespeed said:
I'm not sure why, but I just find the notion that you need to be 'qualified' to review Gears 3 extremely funny. Even more so because you were serious about it. Anyway, keep fighting. Perhaps they'll pull the review and give it to someone more qualified.

Her chronic apathy determines her approach, its to be overcritical and unwilling to appreciate what the game might be trying to do. Having played both Gears and thoroughly enjoying them (which parallels with majority opinion) i know her idea of a good game is different to mine. And her criticism of anything Gears can be put to one side, its clearly not for her. I have an issue when someone like her starts to inform others on said game. Its ridiculous. Hence if she review Gears 3, she's absolutely the wrong person for it.

BeeDog

Syriel said:
The aiming is *VERY* forgiving. At least on the standard mode.

If you're missing your shots, it's because of major suckage on the part of the player.

It's harder to miss than it is to hit.

Thanks for the answer!

TheLegendary said:
Alan Wake Metacritic
Summary Statistics

Median........ 85
Mode.......... 90
Range....... 25
Minimum....... 70
Maximum...... 95
Sum.......... 3232
Count........ 38

:lol I love you Gaf

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
TheLegendary said:
Alan Wake Metacritic
Summary Statistics

Median........ 85
Mode.......... 90
Range....... 25
Minimum....... 70
Maximum...... 95
Sum.......... 3232
Count........ 38
Mode was always my favourite type of average.

Pucc

Banned
mescalineeyes said:
people will cry. I mean that.

heavy-rain-scott-shelby-300x300.jpg

DeadGzuz

Banned
cjelly said:
Mode was always my favourite type of average.

But it is not very stable, the median is typically the best for this type of data. The mean is usually bad due to the skew from being near the max (100), but it's fine here because the tail never reaches it. Sometimes outliers on the low end can screw up the mean, like when a game has a 90 median and has several 4/10 reviews (Heavy Rain).

DeadGzuz said:
But it is not very stable, the median is typically the best for this type of data. The mean is usually bad due to the skew from being near the max (100), but it's fine here because the tail never reaches it.

That's why the mode kicks ass. It's so impractical. But so badass.

The attention to detail in this game is unparalleled.

yeah, some stuff looks like shit, the resolution is not quite where it should be, but the "whole" just oozes atmosphere and, gah, brilliant. beautiful.

TheLegendary said:
Alan Wake Metacritic
Summary Statistics

Median........ 85
Mode.......... 90
Range....... 25
Minimum....... 70
Maximum...... 95
Sum.......... 3232
Count........ 38
Wow. What an aweful skewness. Hype train derailed confirmed?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
plagiarize said:
if you think the Shining mini series is better than Kubrick's film, that's an opinion i really struggle to understand. you might prefer the story in the mini series i suppose, but there's really no question that the performances and craft of Kubrick's film are far far better.

to send this right back at you (and to keep us wildly off topic, heh) i struggle to understand how people watch kubrick's version and see anything but people hamming it up and playing cartoon characters.

Remf said:
one other Steven King book turned movie people are forgetting about.

The Princess Bride :D

he wrote it for his daughter because she hated all of his other books....She hated that one too ;P

......As you wish.....

Do you mean Eyes Of The Dragon?

Or are you talking about Peter Falk?

K' Dash

EagleEyes said:
Sounds like you really enjoyed it. I can't wait till the 18th. Are you a person that normally sees screen tearing in other games? Thats one of the few things that really bothers me in games.

He's right, I just completed the first chapter and barely noticed any tearing and I'm very sensitive to that.

jedimike

Mt Heart Attack said:
Wow. What an aweful skewness. Hype train derailed confirmed?

I couldn't get passed the god damned kurtosis... how can I possibly enjoy this game with that level of kurtosis? F'in Remedy... 6 years and just look at that.

RyanDG

Remf said:

he wrote it for his daughter because she hated all of his other books....She hated that one too ;P

......As you wish.....

Wait what?

Whatever happened to William Goldman?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Remf said:

......As you wish.....
What :\

Tokubetsu

LCfiner said:
The Giantbomb quicklook sold me on this one. Atmosphere is second to none. I’m a sucker for a good setting.

And the combat looked pretty great.

Atmosphere is probably the biggest criteria for me when it comes to game purchases. I can forgive most gameplay flaws as long as presentation and atmosphere are top notch which is why I'm all over Wake.

TheLegendary said:
Alan Wake Metacritic
Summary Statistics

Median........ 85
Mode.......... 90
Range....... 25
Minimum....... 70
Maximum...... 95
Sum.......... 3232
Count........ 38

I'm going to need a boxplot of this data with correct upper and lower fences and a visual indication of outliers.

mescalineeyes said:
not to mention that the aggregate score is weighted, as opposed to a "true" average.

And the fact that they don't always include all sites from their list. And countless other things that are wrong with their system.

Chrange

Banned
Chrange said:
I'm holding out for pie charts!
I got tired of holding out.

dovtyp.jpg

You can clearly see the chart was created initially at a much lower resolution, then scaled for output. The compression is horrendous.

Where are some of you buying this early? I checked Target, who normally does break dates, and they didn't have it.

Chrange said:

http://i43.tinypic.com/dovtyp.jpg[/IMG

You can clearly see the chart was created initially at a much lower resolution, then scaled for output. The compression is horrendous.[/QUOTE]

sneaky

GreekWolf

Chrange said:
You can clearly see the chart was created initially at a much lower resolution, then scaled for output. The compression is horrendous.
There's also vertical tearing between the 90 and 70 percentiles. I've decided to cancel my order for any of your future pie charts.

ACE 1991

Chrange said:

dovtyp.jpg

:lol :lol :lol Oh my god

starsky

Chrange said:

http://i43.tinypic.com/dovtyp.jpg

SubHD chart. Go back to the drawing board.

I can't believe you made that in 5 minutes. For a 5 minutes chart, it should have at least 720p resolution. Disappoinment total.

Chrange

Banned
Linkzg said:
Where are some of you buying this early? I checked Target, who normally does break dates, and they didn't have it.

I usually check Wal-Mart, but this location has a bunch of register biscuits who really don't care. They've put out things weeks ahead, cutting through the bright yellow DO NOT STOCK BEFORE tape while talking to me lol

SamuraiX-

Chrange said:

dovtyp.jpg

:lol Holy shit :lol :lol :lol

Well done, sir, well done.

Amir0x

Banned
mentalfloss said:
Apparantly, an editor at xboxextreme has taken issue with the Eurogamer score:

---

"... we advise all of you to ignore the desperate-for-attention, we're-going-to-prove-our-elite-status so-called "review" from Eurogamer that has the entire Internet talking.

Like it or not, opinions exist on a sliding scale, and we're not saying everyone is going to enjoy Alan Wake, but this review is akin to saying something similar about "The Godfather II" or "Citizen Kane." We all know that Remedy's title is one of the best third person survival shooters ever made; anyone who knows this industry and has a functioning brain will admit to this. They may not like it, but they will admit to its quality. This is what good reviewers do.

They don't lie to the consumer to get some sort of underground "elite cred." I don't care what your system is for reviewing games; if you're scoring on a scale of 1 - 10, there's no way on earth Alan Wake gets a 7 in direct comparison to the other products on store shelves. I'm sorry, it just doesn't."

---

So, there you have it.

The game is awesome

I am extremely anticipating Alan Wake, but that comment was just fucking absurd. Like, so painfully biased in its presentation that it could be interpreted that his comment is more misleading to consumers than whatever he believes the Eurogamer review did. (And the Eurogamer review was backed by substantive points, which I take no issue with - even knowing that Alan Wake is the reason I got a 360).

RetardComment1 said:
we advise all of you to ignore the desperate-for-attention, we're-going-to-prove-our-elite-status so-called "review" from Eurogamer that has the entire Internet talking.

How does reviewing Alan Wake negatively "prove" ones elite status? To whom is it proving this? By what criteria was reviewing Alan Wake poorly determined to grant elite status? When receiving elite status, what perks are you granted?

Statements like this are "fanboy bait." It's made to grab the attention of the nearest foaming at the mouth fantard pitchfork-and-torch mob, to elicit that "YEAH HE'S RIGHT HOW DARE THEY" response. It actually says nothing at all.

RetardComment2 said:
Like it or not, opinions exist on a sliding scale, and we're not saying everyone is going to enjoy Alan Wake, but this review is akin to saying something similar about "The Godfather II" or "Citizen Kane." We all know that Remedy's title is one of the best third person survival shooters ever made; anyone who knows this industry and has a functioning brain will admit to this. They may not like it, but they will admit to its quality. This is what good reviewers do.

"We all know that Remedy's title is one of the best third person survival shooters ever made."

Who is "we?" Whatever Xbox fantard website that dude writes for? Or is this collective "we" the entire gaming community (clearly, this is false. Eurogamer does not agree!). One must apparently have a functioning brain in order to see this; if you do not see it, your brain is damaged. I mean, he's essentially saying that any dissenting opinion is wrong. The sheer chutzpah of this bullshit is truly mindblowing. If my brain was functioning before, it probably isn't after reading that comment.

Fanboys are fucking retarded. News at eleven.

RetardComment3 said:
They don't lie to the consumer to get some sort of underground "elite cred." I don't care what your system is for reviewing games; if you're scoring on a scale of 1 - 10, there's no way on earth Alan Wake gets a 7 in direct comparison to the other products on store shelves. I'm sorry, it just doesn't.

To you, retard commentator from Xboxfantard.com. To you. In direct comparison to other products, it did not elicit a higher score to Eurogamer. And they backed up their beliefs with plenty of substantive points.

I hate game journalism and game critics. The whole industry is so bad these days, there's nothing even approaching standards. But compared to this guy, the game journalists at Eurogamer are fucking Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein.

Top Bottom