• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

ACE 1991

BenjaminBirdie said:
Man, everyone should listen to the new Weekend Confirmed. They talk AW right at the beginning.

Spoiler-free but sooooooooo hype inducing.
I was on the fence about getting Alan wake, but weekend confirmed pushed me over the edge.

Aklamarth

This game pushes gaming forward from a story telling perspective. It's kind of weird to "experience" a full grownups relationship in a game.

Too bad games like this are so rare. Next week i'll be back to shooting aliens and gathering orange powerups.

schennmu said:
Your point being? We know that Alan Wake is a 30fps game.

Huh? I was just answering your question. According to Remedy (which may or may not be true), Alan Wake doesn't tear while it's able to maintain 30 fps, it tears only when the frame rate drops below that number. You asked why else it should happen. A game can tear while running at a steady 30 fps, those two things are not mutually exclusive.

wRATH2x

Banned
So apparently this game is out here the 14th of may.

I'll be getting it then and I'll post impressions if you guys want.

DeadGzuz

Banned
miladesn said:
Warning:video on page 3 contains spoilers!
Digital Foundry: Alan Wake Tech Analysis

Well that was predictable. Too much editorializing that sounds like glowing marketing and too little technical analysis.

Yes, it's significantly sub-HD, but the visual composition of the game makes this far less of an issue than you'd expect.

That is subjective opinion, he should restrain him self more, he sounds like a apologist. But he (Leadbetter/grandmaster) has always had a soft spot for the 360.

Apath

DeadGzuz said:
Well that was predictable. Too much editorializing that sounds like glowing marketing and too little technical analysis.

That is subjective opinion, he should restrain him self more, he sounds like a apologist. But he (Leadbetter/grandmaster) has always had a soft spot for the 360.
Keep on fighting the good fight!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I have gone to buy this, like, twice now before realising I can't yet. Now I feel guilty for almost spending that money and might not actually take the plunge later. I hope you're happy MS.

TheLegendary said:
My name is Alan Wake. I am a writer.
heh heh

DeadGzuz said:

ITT DeadGzuz, of all people, preaches about platform bias.

derFeef said:
Hm, that does not compute with "not rock solid combat" because your complains are not about the mechanic itself. So it seems like you are just having problems with the difficulty? Is it frustrating?

fair enough, the mechanics themselves ARE rock solid.

chandoog said:
@mescalineeyes separate from your bullet argument, does the whole "shine light until dark stuff vanishes" mechanic get tiring or is it fast enough to be not an issue ?

There's nothing wrong with it, but I am still unsure when I shined enough light on them to do actual damage, which leads to me getting a bit frustrated with this particular mechanic.

Also, I feel bad for Energizer, those batteries run out in 10 seconds. Wait no, I don't, those guys are the fucking devil.

JBuccCP

mescalineeyes said:
fair enough, the mechanics themselves ARE rock solid.

There's nothing wrong with it, but I am still unsure when I shined enough light on them to do actual damage, which leads to me getting a bit frustrated with this particular mechanic.

Also, I feel bad for Energizer, those batteries run out in 10 seconds. Wait no, I don't, those guys are the fucking devil.
Isn't there a giant flash of light when they're ready to be shot? That's what it looked like to me in the quick look.

Peff

JBuccCP said:
Isn't there a giant flash of light when they're ready to be shot? That's what it looked like to me in the quick look.

Enemies have a "lens-flarey" circle that closes in as you light them up with the flashlight or any other source of light. When it's gone, there's a flash, the darkness sorrounding them disappears (though this can be a bit hard to notice) and you can shoot them.

JBuccCP said:

yes, I do believe so, but due to the fact that I don't feel my bullets do any damage, I always think I am still not doing damage.

I am seriously considering switching the difficulty back to normal, although I am unsure as to how.

hamchan

mescalineeyes said:
yes, I do believe so, but due to the fact that I don't feel my bullets do any damage, I always think I am still not doing damage.

I am seriously considering switching the difficulty back to normal, although I am unsure as to how.

Don't enemies stagger back when they get hit? I thought standard enemies die in two hits too.

hamchan said:
Don't enemies stagger back when they get hit? I thought standard enemies die in two hits too.

it's 3 on hard I think.

also, headshots don't seem to make a difference.

I think most of my complaints stem from me playing wayyyyyyy too much MW2.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Two UI complaints I have to Bungie

1. Home Base colours should match team colours. It's horribly unintuitive that if I'm playing as the red team that my home base is indicated by a blue indicator. Would be if base colour was your team colour.

2. Matchmaking settings menu layout is confusing. The column arrangement isn't obvious so it's hard to tell what you are changing.

Chittagong said:

1. Home Base colours should match team colours. It's horribly unintuitive that if I'm playing as the red team that my home base is indicated by a blue indicator. Would be if base colour was your team colour.

2. Matchmaking settings menu layout is confusing. The column arrangement isn't obvious so it's hard to tell what you are changing.

Remedy will get right on this.

witness

Chittagong said:

I believe they said they're going to fix that in the first title update.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Chittagong said:

Dude what are you talking about ? The Bright Falls match making system is the shit.

mintylurb

Chittagong said:

Haha

skyfinch

Chittagong said:

My name is Master Chief. I'm a Spartan. I went to Halo on vacation. Now Cortana's missing.

adamsapple

Oh damn, just finished listening to the Alan wake segment on the new Weekend Confirmed. Garnett and Jeff seem excited as hell about the game, that's some hype raising material there.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Huh? I was just answering your question. According to Remedy (which may or may not be true), Alan Wake doesn't tear while it's able to maintain 30 fps, it tears only when the frame rate drops below that number. You asked why else it should happen. A game can tear while running at a steady 30 fps, those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Yeah, a game like Bayonetta will tear at 30fps because it's aimed at 60. But Alan Wake is a 30fps game without v-sync, so of course it will tear below 30.

Chittagong

Gold Member
skyfinch said:
My name is Master Chief. I'm a Spartan. I went to Halo on vacation. Now Cortana's missing.

Insanity fx in Alan Wake confirmed!

I was wondering where this post went since I remembered making it but didn't find it

mescalineeyes said:

They are evil... wait does Alan use a Flesh light to fight the forces of darkness? :lol That be something to write about. :lol

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
just finished it:D great ending , barry is my favourite character in the game i thought he was going to be as annoying as zeke

lockload

daxter01 said:
just finished it:D great ending , barry is my favourite character in the game i thought he was going to be as annoying as zeke

Hell yeh barry for president:lol

dude.png

schennmu said:
Yeah, a game like Bayonetta will tear at 30fps because it's aimed at 60. But Alan Wake is a 30fps game without v-sync, so of course it will tear below 30.

I'm not sure you fully understand what causes tearing. A game aimed at 30 fps can still tear at 30 fps if it's not v-synced (for instance, if some frames are rendered faster than they should be). From Remedy's comments one might conclude that Alan Wake is v-synced while running at 30 fps, but in instances when frame rendering time is increased, effectively causing slowdown, v-sync is dynamically disabled. If there was no v-sync at all, then tearing could also occur at 30 fps. But whatever, let's drop this, I really don't understand why you keep bringing it up.

skyfinch

I've said before and I'll say it again. The game should have been called "Barry Wheeler: Agent to the Guy with the Missing Wife."

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ok I have something more awesome to post than Halo Reach UI bitching.

While I don't live in Finland, I noticed my Finnish friends are attending this. Brief summary in English:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=105164962861491

Alan Wake Festival - 13 - 14 May 2010 @ Kamppi

Midnight launch of the game
- Meet Sam Lake and Alan Wake (Ilkka Villi)
- Free Alan Wake T-Shirt + Flashlight

Friday
- Poets of the Fall performing @ The Tiger, Kamppi
- Free Alan Wake T-Shirt

seady said:
I don't know if I should get the limited edition... is it worth it?

I am so excited for this game!

It's got exclusive commentary for the game. It's maybe the only LE probably ever that actually is worth it.

I can't tell you how stoked I am for this game. Aside from racing games, this is my favorite kind of title. Great story, great atmosphere, pretty visuals, solid 3rd person shooting. Perfect.

I never doubted you, Remedy. I knew you would deliver.

adamsapple

Totobeni said:
why not ? iirc Darksider got a patch that decreased the screen tearing.

But that was just a cap on the frame rate, Darksiders on the 360 was uncapped and the patch capped it to 30, Alan Wake is already capped at 30.

K' Dash

Metalic Sand said:
Anyone planning on doing nightmare mode?

I'll try 1000/1000 so as soon as I finish hard I'll make my nightmare run, besides
youn can't get all the manuscript pages if you don't play nightmare

K' Dash

Metalic Sand said:
Hopefully there isnt any infinite spawns of taken, I have a problem with wanting to explore EVERYTHING.

I think I read somewhere that there weren't infinite spawns, I haven't encountered any.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I'm not sure you fully understand what causes tearing. A game aimed at 30 fps can still tear at 30 fps if it's not v-synced (for instance, if some frames are rendered faster than they should be). From Remedy's comments one might conclude that Alan Wake is v-synced while running at 30 fps, but in instances when frame rendering time is increased, effectively causing slowdown, v-sync is dynamically disabled. If there was no v-sync at all, then tearing could also occur at 30 fps. But whatever, let's drop this, I really don't understand why you keep bringing it up.

Yeah, just stop talking about anything tech related pls. (google "fps lock")

derFeef

schennmu said:
Yeah, just stop talking about anything tech related pls. (google "fps lock")
Yeah, but, what does it have do to with his post? You must have the last word everytime - and it is not even a good one everytime. Read that DF article why AW tears (vsync disabled if rendertime is increased etc....)

FrankT

chandoog said:
Sorry if this was mentioned but Eurogamer did their routine Tech Analysis with the final build of the game, and it's mostly positive whilst acknowledging some of the technical hiccups we already know of.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-alanwake-tech-analysis?page=1

Nice write up.

Metalic Sand said:
Anyone planning on doing nightmare mode?

Fo sho. Going for a 1000/1000.

daxter01 said:

Pretty much what the weekend confirmed guys were saying.

lockload said:
Hell yeh barry for president:lol

dude.png

Barry for life.

adamsapple

Aren't some of the Manuscript pages restricted to Nightmare difficulty ?

Sounds like anyone who wants the complete scoop will need to play through it anyway :p

Top Bottom