• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

conman

Netrunner2k2 said:
Does anyone know the track listing for the soundtrack?
Not off the top of my head, but memorable standouts were Roy Orbison's "In Dreams," Nick Cave's "Up Jumped the Devil," Bowie's "Space Oddity," and Poe's "Haunted" (the title track to her album that was the companion piece to her brother's horror novel House of Leaves--from which the game borrows some ideas).

K' Dash

Netrunner2k2 said:
Does anyone know the track listing for the soundtrack?

What I have until the beginning of chapter 5:

Harry Orbison: Coconut
Roy Orbison: In Dreams
Violet Indiana: Air Kissing
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Up Jumped the Devil
Barry Adamson: The Beaten
Poe: Haunted
Anomie Belle: How Can I Be Sure
Dead Combo: Electrica Cadente
Charles Brown: Black Night
The Rumble Strips: Back Bone
Old Gods of Asgard: Children of the Elder God
Black Angels: Young Men Dead
Old Gods of Asgard: The Poet and the Muse

K' Dash said:
What I have until the beginning of chapter 5:

Harry Orbison: Coconut
Roy Orbison: In Dreams
Violet Indiana: Air Kissing
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Up Jumped the Devil
Barry Adamson: The Beaten
Poe: Haunted
Anomie Belle: How Can I Be Sure
Dead Combo: Electrica Cadente
Charles Brown: Black Night
The Rumble Strips: Back Bone
Old Gods of Asgard: Children of the Elder God
Black Angels: Young Men Dead
Old Gods of Asgard: The Poet and the Muse

Thanks! The Poets of the Fall, who also have a song in the game, had a Tweet about another song in the game and I think I know what it is now. I'm having a hard time waiting for this one as the days go by.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wait.....Nick Cave, Roy Orbison and THE BLACK ANGELLSSSL are on the soundtrack?
Whoa, I didn't even know it had licensed music, that is awesome.

conman

Snuggler said:
It's really great. Most of those songs appear at the end of the episode, but some are played on the radios you find.

It's great to see a game that uses licensed music for creative reasons, rather than just being there because some music publisher made a deal with a game publisher to try and sell gamers something from their music catalog.

K' Dash

conman said:
It's really great. Most of those songs appear at the end of the episode, but some are played on the radios you find.

It's great to see a game that uses licensed music for creative reasons, rather than just being there because some music publisher made a deal with a game publisher to try and sell gamers something from their music catalog.

The list is incomplete, actually I unlocked a couple more after my post, but yeah, the soundtrack is amazing.

alanwake5.png

I'm claiming this is my avatar if no one has yet.

Curufinwe

How does this compare to Resident Evil 4? I know it's not all that similar, but some of the video I've seen reminds me of the Village-at-night parts of RE 4 (which I loved).

Alan Wake and Bayonetta will be likely be the first two games I buy later this year when I finally get a 360. And not because I have a weird OCD rule about buying games in alphabetical order.

conman

So I started a Nightmare difficulty playthrough, and damn does that change up the strategy. You can't really stand around and fight dudes. Takes too much time and too many bullets. Instead, it forces you to find ways to slow them down and distract them so you can run. Forces you to use your environment and other light sources a lot more.

The more I play this game, the more I'm loving it. Sure it's got its share of quirks, but there's nothing else quite like it.

If nothing else, the mixed reviewer responses (and, no, I'm not referring to scores) show just how many interesting things are going on. For example, some reviewers complained that the manuscript pages give too much away. I don't get this complaint. Some pages reveal characters' thoughts from earlier events, some for events just about to happen, and others for events that won't happen for a long time yet. And it's never clear in the pages which it is. Really screws with your sense of time and does really unusual things to traditional character development (a lot like what happens with character development in Memento). So good.

Curufinwe said:
How does this compare to Resident Evil 4? I know it's not all that similar, but some of the video I've seen reminds me of the Village-at-night parts of RE 4 (which I loved).
I think your hunch is somewhat accurate, at least for those early sections of RE4. But RE4 is generally much more adventure-like, while Alan Wake is much more action-oriented.

But the writing (not necessarily the dialogue) is really great (unlike in RE4). I'm convinced that they wanted Wake to look like a total hack, which is why some of the manuscript pages seem pretty derivative and cheesy. And later in the game
when we watch his interview on TV, we learn that not only is he an asshole, but that he's also not a very good writer. He's just a small step above Dan Brown.
But the way the overall game story is put together and structured is simply great.

Tokubetsu

conman said:
So I started a Nightmare difficulty playthrough, and damn does that change up the strategy. You can't really stand around and fight dudes. Takes too much time and too many bullets. Instead, it forces you to find ways to slow them down and distract them so you can run. Forces you to use your environment and other light sources a lot more.

The more I play this game, the more I'm loving it. Sure it's got its share of quirks, but there's nothing else quite like it.

If nothing else, the mixed reviewer responses (and, no, I'm not referring to scores) show just how many interesting things are going on. For example, some reviewers complained that the manuscript pages give too much away. I don't get this complaint. Some pages reveal characters' thoughts from earlier events, some for events just about to happen, and others for events that won't happen for a long time yet. And it's never clear in the pages which it is. Really screws with your sense of time and does really unusual things to traditional character development (a lot like what happens with character development in Memento). So good.

I think your hunch is somewhat accurate, at least for those early sections of RE4. But RE4 is generally much more adventure-like, while Alan Wake is much more action-oriented.

But the writing (not necessarily the dialogue) is really great (unlike in RE4). I'm convinced that they wanted Wake to look like a total hack, which is why some of the manuscript pages seem pretty derivative and cheesy. And later in the game
when we watch his interview on TV, we learn that not only is he an asshole, but that he's also not a very good writer. He's just a small step above Dan Brown.
But the way the overall game story is put together and structured is simply great.

This sounds awesome to me. They probably wanted you to feel just as confused/bewildered as Alan is.

I just had an awesome moment I thought I would share.

I was running and fell through the floor and then I was surrounded by about 5 enemies.
So I took out a flare and held it and it trigged a slowmo scene where the camera zoomed in and spun around me.

That was awesome and that flares and smoke has great lighting.

Mr_Zombie

Some people just play their review-copies and some people play retail versions, because it seems the game has been released earlier in some countries.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Anyone have an idea on how HMV ships new releases - will I get it early / on release day / late? They had the best LE deal (£39.99)

Flipyap

conman said:
I totally agreed with your thoughts on storytelling in Assassin's Creed 1 and 2, so now I'm really excited to play Alan Wake. You hype machine, you!

HiResDes

Snuggler said:
I'm totally getting this game on principle now...I think it's the 360's equivalent to Heavy Rain, now in gameplay necessarily, but just in that fact that it warrants a playthrough just for trying something different and being unlike most other games on its platform.

Edit: Oh now should be not, typo.

ACE 1991

HiResDes said:
I'm totally getting this game on principle now...I think it's the 360's equivalent to Heavy Rain, now in gameplay necessarily, but just in that fact that it warrants a playthrough just for trying something different and being unlike most other games on its platform.

It's far more gamey than heavy rain from what I can tell however.

Curufinwe

miladesn said:
I don't think so, for example their review for Resonance of Fate came out much later than everybody else (like 3 weeks) and it scored much higher (rightfully) than everywhere else, they have fair scores IMO, not ridiculously overrated (Jade Empire) or underrated scores (God Hand) like IGN for sure.

Gamespot are extremely good about giving their reviewers long enough to review games properly, even if they have to wait for the game to be released to test the online multiplayer and the review goes up a week later than all the other big sites.

conman said:
For example, some reviewers complained that the manuscript pages give too much away. I don't get this complaint. Some pages reveal characters' thoughts from earlier events, some for events just about to happen, and others for events that won't happen for a long time yet. And it's never clear in the pages which it is. Really screws with your sense of time and does really unusual things to traditional character development (a lot like what happens with
character development in Memento). So good.

Yeah, the developers also went on record that Lost is an influence and this kind of stuff makes me think of Lost, a lot.

conman said:
Not off the top of my head, but memorable standouts were Roy Orbison's "In Dreams," Nick Cave's "Up Jumped the Devil," Bowie's "Space Oddity," and Poe's "Haunted" (the title track to her album that was the companion piece to her brother's horror novel House of Leaves--from which the game borrows some ideas).

Fascinated by this; nothing I've seen so far of this game seems remotely HoL-ish. Interesting to see what twists I have to come...

soco

burgerdog said:
Still no release day delivery for the regular edition at Amazon. I wonder what happened, a few days ago it was there :(

chances are they've sold out of their original shipment, so you won't be guaranteed delivery on that day.

it still says the "get it on release day" for the LE.

Spent about 5 minutes with the game yesterday and I think it's pretty cool.

Looks pretty fucking amazing, but you can definitely see the difference between in game and the pre-rendered cut-scenes.

One thing that annoyed me was the over the shoulder always naturally going over the left shoulder, and having to switch it right.

Was pissing me off.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
2 Minutes Turkish said:
One thing that annoyed me was the over the shoulder always naturally going over the left shoulder, and having to switch it right.

Was pissing me off.

Whelp at least they've allowed the player to change orientation as required .. a lot of games don't even do that.

burgerdog

soco said:
chances are they've sold out of their original shipment, so you won't be guaranteed delivery on that day.

it still says the "get it on release day" for the LE.
FUUUUUUUU what gets me is that I had ordered it already along with RDR and LP2. Except that once I saw the reviews for LP2 I canceled that item and it fucked up my Alan order. So it's a good idea to order items separately from now on to avoid that.

conman

Flipyap said:
I totally agreed with your thoughts on storytelling in Assassin's Creed 1 and 2, so now I'm really excited to play Alan Wake. You hype machine, you!
What can I say? I'm a sucker for games with big storytelling ambitions. :D

And, no, I don't include Heavy Rain in that group (hated that game with a vengeance).

soco

burgerdog said:
FUUUUUUUU what gets me is that I had ordered it already along with RDR and LP2. Except that once I saw the reviews for LP2 I canceled that item and it fucked up my Alan order. So it's a good idea to order items separately from now on to avoid that.

Its amazon so they'll try, but they just won't guarantee it.

If you have some temporary cash around, you could buy it from a b&m and retturn the amazon when it comes ;)

Chittagong said:
Anyone have an idea on how HMV ships new releases - will I get it early / on release day / late? They had the best LE deal (£39.99)
I think they just ship when they get their stock in. I got confirmation of Heavy Rain being shipped at the start of the release week and the game came mid week (official release day was Friday IIRC).

Chittagong

Gold Member
ToastyBanana said:
I think they just ship when they get their stock in. I got confirmation of Heavy Rain being shipped at the start of the release week and the game came mid week (official release day was Friday IIRC).

thanks! oh man, the wait can be over sooner!

Top Bottom