• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

God damn, I need to finish a chapter for my master thesis, and they just delivered Alan Wake. I want to play it so bad, but there's so much work to be done. Pure torture :(.

SuperSugar

Neo Member
It feels good to be this excited about a game. Reminds me of my childhood days. Now I have to power-though Final Fantasy 13 before Alan Wake gets here... otherwise I may never beat it.

Reckoner

Probably they are yet finishing something in the DLC. And I like to know that they are doing extra work after the game itselft and not just trying to make some new extra money - ok, they're not getting money for this DLC, but they're going to probably charge for future DLC.

Remedy Games are the equivalent of Naughty Dog for the Xbox 360. They're both GODS.

Listening to the Alan Wake Limited Collector's Edition Soundtrack, and it's so good. It's a shame that not all songs from the game are on it, but it's still great.

Colocho

Banned
This game is amazing, I haven't been this drawn in to a game in a long time. Just starting episode 5 and I simply can't put it down. The story is amazing so far, but the way it's told makes it that much better. The gameplay and graphics are also ace.

Seriously, everyone with an Xbox 360 needs to own this.

silenthill1979 said:
For those who beat the game: are the collectibles like chests or coffee thermoses stackable, or do I have to find them all in 1 playthrough?
Stackable. You can check all the stats from the main menu.

miladesn said:
2132414873_full.jpg

Come on now!! The lip syncing isn't that bad.

liger05 said:
Im about halfway through episode 3. I like the game I really do although the driving sux
I wouldn't say that the driving sucks, but it's definitely not good. Imagine how much of a pain it would have been if the game was a sandbox game with these driving physics.

Reckoner

liger05 said:
Im about halfway through episode 3. I like the game I really do although the driving sux
If you want a driving game, go get Forza 3 or PGR4.:lol C'mon, the driving mechanics are as good as possible and aren't that bad as a small part of the game.

Reckoner

mescalineeyes said:
are we just going to downplay every flaw this game has?
The game has some downplays - like the expression on the characters faces and the jump animation, for example - but I don't think that anyone can say that the driving mechanics are bad as they're competent and are just a small and non important part of the game.

Majora

Bru said:
What an incredible game............ I'm blown away.
Just started chapter 3 and can honestly say that I've never had so many full on attacks of 'goosebumps' my whole life.

As for Poe?

At the end of chapter 2 when Rose was on the phone, then Haunted kicked in. I sat speechless - just the perfect way to top off some pure gaming magic.

Stunning.
Simply stunning.

Yeah that was my favourite cliffhanger, not just in terms of the story event but the way it all came together with the music and camera movement and everything. Great stuff.

I have one chapter left and for me I'd say it's a high 8. I appreciate the need to make the environment cohesive and believable and to stay relatively grounded but I think a sequel just needs a little more variety in gameplay, locations and interactivity to go from great to outstanding. Also I'm a little disappointed in how the story has developed. The writing is fine, I like the characters, and there have been some good plot points and individual moments, but it just hasn't progressed in a particularly interesting way for me which is a surprise because I really expected it to be the game's strong suit. I'm looking forward to the ending anyway, seems very divisive :lol

mescalineeyes said:

Nope. I'm halfway (I think) through chapter 4, and the story has become completely ridiculous, with narrative leaps made that I'm expected to go with, but that came from nowhere. It's not Stephen King or Twin Peaks-ish - it's mediocre computer game story, now. I'm also irritated now that nothing narrative-related is coming out apart from in cutscenes or Wake's narration; there's so much scope for clever interactive/passive reveals, and it's not happening.

ALSO: I am now getting bored of both the games solitary combat mechanic and of the incessant forest. I also find the
pipes and tyres and bits of train
to be irritating rather than unsettling.

On the plus side, it's better than most games, looks beautiful, has amazing production values and I want to play it to the end to see how the story wraps itself up. I'm still really enjoying it, it just definitely has some real flaws dangling on itself. Chapters 1 and 2 I was loving this; Chapter 3 I was starting to be slightly irritated. And now I find myself at 4, and I suspect I won't be dragged back the other way in the following chapters.

(Incidentally, it really reminds me of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, which is the better game. If you're enjoying this, play that. Seriously.)

Finished the game today. Would give rate it 8/10.

I hate Berry. One of the worst characters ever. He ruined the excellent mood on serval occasions. I mean, I may be one of few but I see no point in putting a running gag in a game like this - and this is really all that Berry is: a running gag.

I have several other complains about the game but Berry, the misplaced humor and the lacking explanations of many things that happen are the things that annoyed me the most. In general I have to say that the story isn't quite as good as I expected it to be. I mean it IS good and keeps you interested to the end but I expected it to be far better.

conman

mescalineeyes said:
As long as folks keep trying to point out nitpicking details, yes.

There are really only two substantial flaws in the game that people keep returning to: the slew of late-game plot reveals in the final episode and the repetitive enemies/environments in last two episodes. How much you're bothered by those two things determines how much you like the game overall. Everything else is just minor details (good and bad).

I'd also wager that fans of Max Payne 2 are loving it more than the rest of the gaming population. :D

how is it nitpicky to expect a game that was in development for 5 years and boasts a not very lengthy "campaign" to get the little details right? it's not like this game is cheaper than Reach is going to be?

Bru

mescalineeyes said:

How about you overplay them?
Really does it matter so much that many of us are finding Alan Wake to be such a great experience?

I find the game's faults to be quite minor in relation to its strengths. I really haven't played a title as gripping and emersive as this since Silent Hill 2 (a game that also had its pros and cons)
Mind you that's just my opinion and you of course have yours.

Let's just beg to differ ok?

For now I'm off to jump, shiver and poo my pants once more in the town of Bright Falls :D

EagleEyes

Bru said:
Really does it matter so much that many of us are finding Alan Wake to be such a great experience?

I find the game's faults to be quite minor in relation to its strengths. I really haven't played a title as gripping and emersive as this since Silent Hill 2 (a game that also had its pros and cons)

For now I'm off to jump, shiver and poo my pants once more in the town of Bright Falls :D
No kidding. It's like he's upset people are really enjoying it and not mentioning things that might have bothered him/her.

Peff

Man, 1x05 (lulz) was really fantastic. Environment variety, some neat situations, great vistas
going up to the dam was pretty impressive on several spots
. Looking forward to the final episode :D

MMaRsu

So I picked up the game this afternoon, got the LE for 56 euro's.. I was surprised because I thought the LE was going to cost around 80 euro's??? Oh well, I got all the awesome goodies :D.

Do I have to download the DLC right now? It says that the episode will be available 28 July, then why do I have to download a 555MB file? What does it do? My HDD is only 13gb so yeaa... Are the installing advantages big?

conman

mescalineeyes said:
how is it nitpicky to expect a game that was in development for 5 years and boasts a not very lengthy "campaign" to get the little details right? it's not like this game is cheaper than Reach is going to be?
There's a manuscript page that you pick up in Episode 1 only on Nightmare difficulty that was written just for you. :D

On a side note, I fail to see how the game's development time should have anything to do with your experience playing the game.

Dabanton

MMaRsu said:
Do I have to download the DLC right now? It says that the episode will be available 28 July, then why do I have to download a 555MB file? What does it do? My HDD is only 13gb so yeaa... Are the installing advantages big?

Is that file from inputting the code from the DLC card?

Bru said:

I love Alan Wake, make no mistake, but I just feel it's hard to justify the value proposition given the fact that there's a lot of stuff wrong with it that totally doesn't wouldn't to be that way.
the Sub HD I can live with.
I even think the faces look ok.

but the HUD? the driving? the jerky car animations in the cutscenes? I don't know. It's almost like it would've needed a bit more polish.

Reckoner

I thought that I was the only person thinking that it was more immersive if they have put a HUD that only displays on necessary ocasions - like when the player presses X to reload. But I can live with it.

Reckoner said:
I thought that I was the only person thinking that it was more immersive if they have put a HUD that only displays on necessary ocasions - like when the player presses X to reload. But I can live with it.

seriously, have these guys not played Dead Space? I can't for the life of me believe that playing that game wouldn't make you re-think your HUD.

Hixx

It's kind of sad that I wish there was less combat. It's just boring :/ It doesn't control bad, its not just stand there and shoot till they die but its just not as engaging as I'd wished. Episode 2 had a couple of fun parts but there was a lot of trudging through a very repetitive environment shooting 3-4 enemies...

Everything else about the game is brilliant, there are some scenes where I'm genuinely amazed at how it looks and feels and then some Taken show up and it feels a slog. Hopefully episode 3 mixes it up a bit.

mescalineeyes said:
I love Alan Wake, make no mistake, but I just feel it's hard to justify the value proposition given the fact that there's a lot of stuff wrong with it that totally doesn't wouldn't to be that way.
the Sub HD I can live with.
I even think the faces look ok.

but the HUD? the driving? the jerky car animations in the cutscenes? I don't know. It's almost like it would've needed a bit more polish.

It's only logical that the troubled development would show in one way or another.

Reckoner

mescalineeyes said:
seriously, have these guys not played Dead Space? I can't for the life of me believe that playing that game wouldn't make you re-think your HUD.
I've created a thread in the official forums. Let's see if they reconsider about the HUD in a future Title Update or even in the DLC.

eso76

TheExorzist said:
Finished the game today. Would give rate it 8/10.

I hate Berry. One of the worst characters ever. He ruined the excellent mood on serval occasions. I mean, I may be one of few but I see no point in putting a running gag in a game like this - and this is really all that Berry is: a running gag.

I have several other complains about the game but Berry, the misplaced humor and the lacking explanations of many things that happen are the things that annoyed me the most. In general I have to say that the story isn't quite as good as I expected it to be. I mean it IS good and keeps you interested to the end but I expected it to be far better.

I agree on Berry. He often does ruin the atmosphere, both with his gags and with the fact
the shadowd guys somehow are never a concern for him, which in a way makes them less menacing

It's not like every game and movie needs a comic sidekick these days, AW sure didn't imo

MMaRsu

Start on hard or normal????

Metalic Sand said:
Huh? So the DLC card lets you DL the July content. So that means its already done and they are just making us wait!? What? Im so lost...

I put in the DLC code, got a file that was like 555mb, the description said it would be unlocked or you can download it in July.. I was like.. uhh ok so what is this I'm downloading right now?

Main menu says no DLC found though.. It probably is done :lol . Marketing and all..

Anyway, start on hard or normal?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Reckoner said:
I've created a thread in the official forums. Let's see if they reconsider about the HUD in a future Title Update or even in the DLC.

The question about the HUD has been raised MANY times on the official forums, the devs have outright denied all requests citing reasons like "it'll require the entire game to be recertified" etc etc. Probably horse honkey but they've outright denied it multiple times now :(

conman

So now that I'm a few episodes in on Nightmare difficulty, I can say that the game actually isn't all that different on higher level play. There's no shortage of ammo, and despite what I initially thought (and secretly hoped) there's no reason to make a mad dash for the nearest light. Just shoot as usual.

You do, however, have to be much more aware of how you stun your enemies with your flashlight. Since guys take a few more shots to kill, you have to "juggle" your flashlight from dude to dude and selectively switch to the intense beam only when you need to stun them. Basically, there's just too much ammo in circulation to ever feel like you need to be conservative with your weapons.

Great game, but my subsequent playthrough isn't what I'd hoped it would be.

tomedo

I guess none of this is news but few Remedy devs were hinting in finnish language podcast (Pelaajacast) that the first DLC

-takes place after the end of main game
-is somewhat different gameplay-wise
-should surprise people

They also mentioned that now that they have the technology and the tools and most importantly the knowledge what the game actually is (open world or not etc) its so much easier to create content. They had the first dlc playable, not finished ofc, in three weeks.

S1kkZ

started on nightmare again and wow, it feels so different. stunning enemies with the flashlight and try to reach the next save haven because you never have enough ammo.

conman said:
So now that I'm a few episodes in on Nightmare difficulty, I can say that the game actually isn't all that different on higher level play. There's no shortage of ammo, and despite what I initially thought (and secretly hoped) there's no reason to make a mad dash for the nearest light. Just shoot as usual.

You do, however, have to be much more aware of how you stun your enemies with your flashlight. Since guys take a few more shots to kill, you have to "juggle" your flashlight from dude to dude and selectively switch to the intense beam only when you need to stun them. Basically, there's just too much ammo in circulation to ever feel like you need to be conservative with your weapons.

Great game, but my subsequent playthrough isn't what I'd hoped it would be.

What about the pages you can only find in nightmare ? Are they interesting and add anything to the plot ?

Peff

Ok, the ending really is... interesting :lol I think I understood it but I can't see what they do with the DLC. Really good game!

Top Bottom