• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Truant

In chapter 3 right now.

Loving it so far.

Resolution problems are obvious during daytime, but the game still looks fantastic. Combat is solid and fun, not repetitive at all, at least in a bad way. Voice acting surprisingly good, after some not-so-hot trailers I've seen. Bad writing makes a lot of sense, because Alan is a bad writer. Some of the other stuff in the game, without spoiling anything, is a lot better written. Kinda cool attention to detail right there.

Doodis

derFeef said:
Just watched Episode 5 and 6 of Bright Falls

:D
Holy hell. Just super well done. I really hope the game lives up to these video episodes.

It's nice to know after watching these that whatever the "darkness" is, it's not just an
"it's all in Alan's head"
situation as far as the story goes. At least, I can't see how it can be since it's affecting others. That's the one thing I was hoping they wouldn't do with the storyline.

Doodis

Spiegel said:
Just finished the first chapter and I'm loving everything about the game. Too bad I missed some pages :/
How do you know if you've missed pages? I haven't played the game yet, but I want to make sure I'm picking up all the pages to get all the story.

Spiegel

Doodis said:
How do you know if you've missed pages? I haven't played the game yet, but I want to make sure I'm picking up all the pages to get all the story.

Pushing the back button on the controller goes to the menu where you can read the pages. If you have missed pages, you can't read those. It says missing page or something like that.

modeps

Neo Member
conman said:
I actually didn't think there was that much left unresolved in the ending. They just crammed a bunch of WTF moments together all at once so it was hard to parse. But here are some of my thoughts on your questions:

There's no "clone" to speak of. Notice that Alan is continually called "Tom" as in Tom Zane the other writer. Alan Wake/Tom Zane is writing the events as you experience them. There's the strong suggestion that Alan Wake is the character and Tom Zane is the writer. Or even more dizzyingly, that Alan Wake wrote about Tom Zane who is writing about Alan Wake. I think this is the sense of the "ocean" that is referenced in the end.

His goal is to bring his wife back, but what is less clear is whether or not she's actually dead. There's a lot of plot elements taken from Memento, and there's the suggestion that this might be one of them. Wake's wife may have simply left him, not died. The later sequence in the apartment in New York suggests a completely different picture of Alan Wake than what we've come to know. He's an alcoholic, he's the one who's afraid of the dark (not his wife), and he is not a good husband (and there's the strong suggestion that she either has left him or is threatening to leave him).

I've got a bunch more thoughts on how this game's story works and fits together, but I'll wait until more people have finished the game so we can get some real theories going.

Can you point out where people called Alan, Tom? I don't remember that at all. The clone thing is weird in general. Alan being stuck in the darkness may just be him engrossed in his work like he used to be and the person that's outside is just the shell he portrays when he's committed to his writing?

Also, his wife clearly emerges from the lake at the end while Alan is stuck down below. I'm sure there's metaphor all over the place, but I'll be damned if I can figure it. Of course, I finished this weeks ago (WEEKS!) so I can't remember everything. My buddy just had to remind me about the clicker kill at the end.

Has anyone uncovered all the Nightmare pages?

modeps

Neo Member
LordPhoque said:
Just finished episode 5.

How long is episode 6 ?

Not sure why this is in spoiler tags, but I'll play along:
Episode 6 is about the same length as all the others.

Dries

Nice reading all the good reception it's gotten on GAF. I knew this game would deliver. Remedy just doesn't make crappy games.

u_neek

Currently on chapter 3 and I'm quite liking the game so far. Especially the story sequences in-between the action which kinda remind me of Heavy Rain.

Tiny spoiler regarding the game's length (not sure why we do this):
Heard the game was supposed to be only 6-8 hours long. The first two chapters have been around 2-2.5 hours in length and if the rest of the game follows this pattern which some of you write... well, you do the math.

Doodis said:
All manuscript pages are devided into chapters and marked as "???????" in the pause menu until you find them.

Wow, I am kinda in love with the limited edition. I did not read up on what was in it beforehand, so it was a surprise opening it, and I only picked it up cause my local store was charging the same price for both versions (mistake?).

333ajom.jpg

Oh, and just finished chapter 1, and got some lovely
Roy Orbison
music. Thumbs up all round right now!

K' Dash

I think it's time for a story plot spoilerific discussion thread.

I have many question regarding the ending and some of the manuscript pages
that didn't happen

u_neek

Keyser Soze said:
Roy Orbison
Yeah, I never thought I was going to listen to that in a videogame :lol

Just watched the final two episodes of Bright Falls. Shit... that was pretty great. The ending is a great set-up for the game...
and the final shot with Jake is so creepy and surreal.

Four more days till I get it... ahhhhh

Dries

Keyser Soze said:
Wow, I am kinda in love with the limited edition. I did not read up on what was in it beforehand, so it was a surprise opening it, and I only picked it up cause my local store was charging the same price for both versions (mistake?).

Don't think so. My LE was also the same price as a normal version.

Hixx

Regretting starting on Hard now. Chapter 2,
just after the Bear alert sign on the way to Lovers Peak or whatever
. Half a dozen enemies, 16 bullets. Can't outrun the stronger enemy and don't have any flares or stuff. Regular dudes take about 4 bullets, big one about 7. So, essentially I'm fucked cos I can't get through to the patch of light. Turned it off due to frustration but was really enjoying the game until then.

The dodge mechanic sucks though.

[Nintex]

Just played 2 episodes and this game is amazing, I'm literally on the edge of my seat the entire time. The visuals are just incredible and so is the gameplay.

scently

Dries said:
Don't think so. My LE was also the same price as a normal version.
Did you pre-order it online or did you just buy it from your local store?

I need to know because Gamestation is charging an extra £10 for the limited edition and they asked to get proof of a store that sells it at the same price as the normal version.

FrankT

Mr Solo Dolo said:
Same here.

[Nintex] said:
Just played 2 episodes and this game is amazing, I'm literally on the edge of my seat the entire time. The visuals are just incredible and so is the gameplay.

Euro guys so lucky. Eat it up.

Unless of course you guys are in the states getting it earlier and cheaper then err.

scently

Keyser Soze said:

333ajom.jpg

Roy Orbison
What is the name of your local store? better yet what's their number, assuming you are in the UK.:D

scently said:
What is the name of your local store? better yet what's their number, assuming you are in the UK.:D

Ireland, and it just a no brand music store that sells games/film too. I pick up most of the titles I get at launch from there, as it is better than giving my cash to the Gamestop up the road from it.

[Nintex]

Jtyettis said:
Euro guys so lucky. Eat it up.

Unless of course you guys are in the states getting it earlier and cheaper then err.
I'm in Europe and bought the CE, only 69,99 euro too, I rarely buy CE's but this one was certainly worth it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
omg , wow :O...

Just finished chapter 2 and I'm fucking flabbergasted, this game... this game is something else. Hhahah I'm sitting here and staring at this post and I have no idea what to write ( just like alan ZING! )...

I had no idea the combat would be soo fun and satisfying. The sound, the forest, it feels like a living entity.

The graphics, my god the graphics, I read that stupid ass 540p debate all ten million posts of it and its like its but a distant memory. It looks soo good, the lighting is unmatched , simply sublime.

I forced myself off the 360, just to be able to savor the game over atleast a couple of days. If the game keeps this pace, and the quality of the upcoming episodes is as good as 1 and 2 I'm a happy happy happyyyyy gamer.

I think I know why people bitch about some of the smaller things ( dont get me wrong , I agree with this one) like fubar lip-sync, its because the rest of the game holds such great standard.

I'm in love <3

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Just watched the final two episodes of Bright Falls. Shit... that was pretty great. The ending is a great set-up for the game...
and the final shot with Jake is so creepy and surreal.

Four more days till I get it... ahhhhh

I like the guy (Jake?) way more than Alan Wake...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Youtube or www.brightfalls.com. I don't know if Episodes 5 and 6 are on brightfalls.com though.

gracias

love your avatar, shower me in dead space juices. Dead Space and Alan Wake are two of my top IPs this generation, luv em'.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Damn, Ep. 6 of Bright Falls gave me goosebumps at the end (the final shot of Jake). That's some fucked up awesome shit. If Alan Wake is half as good as the Bright Falls episodes, excited is me.

Incidentally, I had canceled my pre-order for AW due to RDR, but I just now reinstated it for release date delivery through Amazon for the Limited Edition. The Bright Falls episodes sold me on getting it Tuesday, as opposed to after I'm done with Red Dead as I had originally planned.

Bravo, Microsoft! Great marketing!

imtehman

Banned
Been on media blackout for this game but i do want to just chime in and say the Bright Falls episodes are absolutely fantastic.

Can't wait for Tuesday!

Pooya

I've been playing most of day today and I just finished Episode 3 and played a bit of Episode 4..
things I liked:
Episode 3 was very good, I'm quite impressed, the game has some fucking awesome sound effects. Flashbangs <3
-shoot a flare gun in the Sky and watch how it falls :lol
by the way Episode 4 is awesome already.
-there are some beautiful vistas, so damn realistic, the game gives Half-Life 2 feel to me sometimes, wish environment in next half life look like this. Oh man the mountains, buildings in distance, jaw dropping!
-You don't want to miss any Night Springs episode.
-story/story telling has been great so far, definitely much better than 98% of games, I hope it remains good till the end.

things I didn't like:
-graphics in day light scenes are bad, at night the game shines.
-Lip syncing is very bad or better I say it's not synced at all, Alice just opens and closes her mouth...
-faces are bad
-Alan's jumping animation is awful
-you get attacked a lot by enemies that you can't see (behind camera), really annoying
-Alan should go out for jogging.
-aiming is bit inaccurate, I'm not sure if there is any point in aiming for the head or you can just shoot them any where, looks like it works the same..

Chapter 4 was creepy as hell, other than the
stage bit which was just fucking crazy, haha.

Such a damn cliffhanger, but it's nearly midnight and I need sleep. I expect I will finish it tomorrow morning/afternoon. :)

Peff

One thing I liked in Chapter 3
when you go down to the basement of the house in ruins and see a heart being written with the magic ink thingy and you see that there's writing to the right... you keep circling the room and the progression of TOM TOM TOM TOM really gives you the willies despite the lack of enemies.

The game really oozes with atmosphere, it really keeps you in your toes despite not being really "scary". Great job, Remedy :D

Pooya

Peff said:
when you go down to the basement of the house in ruins and see a heart being written with the magic ink thingy and you see that there's writing to the right... you keep circling the room and the progression of TOM TOM TOM TOM really gives you the willies despite the lack of enemies.

The game really oozes with atmosphere, it really keeps you in your toes despite not being really "scary". Great job, Remedy :D
Absolutely, loved that part!! and another area..
in the tunnels with Alice's voice echoing

On episode three now and so far this game is amazing. The narrative, the attention to detail, the lighting effects, the Twin Peaks references! Damn!

Oh, and the Roy Orbison track at the end of episode one was so good. Loving the tv series vibe I'm getting from this.

EDIT: And the CE! As many others I'm surprised at the quality and content. And it wasn't even that expensive.

Peff said:

I found that part so spooky, also the part in the
mine tunnels if you go left instead of straight on you hear Alice start screaming, then you get a cut scene of her getting pulled under water

derFeef

Mr Solo Dolo said:
I found that part so spooky, also the part in the
mine tunnels if you go left instead of straight on you hear Alice start screaming, then you get a cut scene of her getting pulled under water
Oh don´t tell me. This was great. Also anyone tried to wander off the path more often? In Episode 1:
At the gas station I walked down the street behind it and was suprised that there was a street up the hill. The further I went the more freaky it got - the forest began to rage and I suddenly had 6(!) enemys behind me, I barely made it back to the station. Is this osme kind of "invisible wall" to pretend players to walk off, or is there something hidden?

miladesn said:
Absolutely, loved that part!! and another area..
in the tunnels with Alice's voice echoing
I hope you went the path on the left because it becomes even more freakier and explains Alice' voice

mittelos

You guys are making the wait until Tuesday maddening. Well, still got Twin Peaks season 2 to re-watch and the last of the Bright Falls episodes to get through the weekend.

Prine

Banned
i just jumped from my comfy couch, and then turned it off. i only just started ep 2 :lol game sounds amazing, i entered an old cabin, god damn wind chimes initiated that feeling of dred, but i wanted to know what was in the cabin. Something happened that prompted me to call it a night! Im taking my time though and im not always sprinting from point to point. This game must be savoured, its better for it.

Majora

Prine said:
i just jumped from my comfy couch, and then turned it off. i only just started ep 2 :lol game sounds amazing, i entered an old cabin, god damn wind chimes initiated that feeling of dred, but i wanted to know what was in the cabin. Something happened that prompted me to call it a night! Im taking my time though and im not always sprinting from point to point. This game must be savoured, its better for it.

I know exactly which bit you're talking about :lol

Top Bottom