• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

MMaRsu

The Manuscript pages I found of The Sudden Stop, the voice actor is Max Payne right?? It's like a red herring right? Or whatever :p

Sorry guys for not spoiling right away

MMaRsu said:
The Manuscript pages I found of The Sudden Stop, the voice actor is Max Payne right?? It's like a red herring right? Or whatever :p

They are Max Payne easter eggs I guess.
Alex Casey seems to be some kind of Max Payne himself.

painey

MMaRsu said:

Yes the VA is Max Payne.. its not a red herring, its an easter egg.. its implying that Alan Wake was writing the Max Payne story.

Prine

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
It's kind of sad that I wish there was less combat. It's just boring :/ It doesn't control bad, its not just stand there and shoot till they die but its just not as engaging as I'd wished. Episode 2 had a couple of fun parts but there was a lot of trudging through a very repetitive environment shooting 3-4 enemies...

Everything else about the game is brilliant, there are some scenes where I'm genuinely amazed at how it looks and feels and then some Taken show up and it feels a slog. Hopefully episode 3 mixes it up a bit.

Im loving the woods, i dont see it as trudging along, i view it as trying to survive through lush environments with lots of unknowns. Im always on the edge of my seat, hoping,praying for light sources. I keep running out of ammo, and end up relying on dodge. I said this before but im a wreck when i reach save points.

Im playing it on Hard on my first playthrough, in the dark, with 5.1 turned up. Half way through ep 2 and its turning out to be the best game i've played this year. I haven't felt this good about a game since Arkham and RE4. Great stuff.

conman

LordPhoque said:
What about the pages you can only find in nightmare ? Are they interesting and add anything to the plot ?
Yeah, and hunting for all the added goodies is fun, too, if you're a collection junky like me. The combat strategy changes, too, but just not as much as I'd hoped. Still loads of fun, though!

MMaRsu

painey said:
Yes the VA is Max Payne.. its not a red herring, its an easter egg.. its implying that Alan Wake was writing the Max Payne story.

Heh yeah that's what I meant just couldn't put it into the right words :p. But yeah awesome :D. Sorry for not spoilering it, can you guys do the tags in the quote?

Bru

mescalineeyes said:
I love Alan Wake, make no mistake, but I just feel it's hard to justify the value proposition given the fact that there's a lot of stuff wrong with it that totally doesn't wouldn't to be that way.
the Sub HD I can live with.
I even think the faces look ok.

but the HUD? the driving? the jerky car animations in the cutscenes? I don't know. It's almost like it would've needed a bit more polish.

I appreciate what you're saying..... I suppose (as ever) our perceptions of the game come down to individual expectations, needs and taste.

Like yourself I have no problem with AW's Sub HD and the character faces. The thing is I also find the HUD and driving to be perfectly acceptable (though I have noticed the jerky car animations in the cut scenes too).
For me the atmosphere, story and character in this game are king. I love the feeling of isolation and anxiety at night - the sights and sounds of the forest and the stunning engine that drives it all. Not to mention the contrast of Bright Falls during the day and all its odd ball residents.

Remedy have just blown me away.

However from the reviews alone we knew this game would split opinions. Even the players who love AW are split into those who think it's fine as is and those who think it needs more polish.

But enough waffling from me :D I'm knackered and it's time for bed...
with a torch by my side and every light source in the house switched to on ;-)

Reckoner

Don't know how there can be people noticing the Sub HD. Seriously, I think this is the best looking game on the Xbox 360 right now and it runs perfectly on my HDTV with 720p enabled.

Played through chapter 2. It's pretty outstanding so far. I love the way the game telegraphs the future through the manuscripts. Every time I read about something that hasn't happened yet, I start getting paranoid.

I bought the special edition (which is super cool) and I'm wondering if there's any reason I should put in the bonus disk before finishing the game?

Reckoner said:
Don't know how there can be people noticing the Sub HD. Seriously, I think this is the best looking game on the Xbox 360 right now and it runs perfectly on my HDTV with 720p enabled.

Not to shit up the thread but I personally find it very obvious. I don't care massively either though. Metro 2033 is probably the best looking 360 game imho.

conman

Reckoner said:
With all the lighting and particle effects, I'm not sure how people are actually noticing either. Sucks for them.

Lots of folks have been comparing this game to Uncharted for all kinds of reasons (gameplay, level design, story, etc). I think its graphical prowess on the platform is yet one more point of comparison. Definitely wins my vote for best looking 360 game.

Pooya

Reckoner said:
subHD res in day-light parts is obvious, looks like a full-screen blur filter and objects in distance are pretty much a pixelated mess.

snoopeasystreet said:
I bought the special edition (which is super cool) and I'm wondering if there's any reason I should put in the bonus disk before finishing the game?
No. Wait until you finished the game. There are a lot of spoilers on the bonus disc.

Majora

Just finished it. The ending kind of annoyed me actually. It isn't even a cliffhanger really, it's just more like 'a bunch of random stuff and a cryptic last line happens and we'll explain it in DLC/Alan Wake 2.' One of the devs on the forum is saying that they'd still be happy with the ending if the DLC or sequel never came out but I think that's rubbish to be honest, it doesn't hang well together as a conclusion at all. It's left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth actually.

But to be honest the story after about Episode 4 was simultaneously silly and unremarkable. I went into the game expecting something quite mature and well-plotted and came out thinking maybe I should finally try Silent Hill Shattered Memories since I've heard that has a great story. Shame, I really expected something better than what we got, plot-wise anyway.

S1kkZ

Majora said:
Just finished it. The ending kind of annoyed me actually. It isn't even a cliffhanger really, it's just more like 'a bunch of random stuff and a cryptic last line happens and we'll explain it in DLC/Alan Wake 2.' One of the devs on the forum is saying that they'd still be happy with the ending if the DLC or sequel never came out but I think that's rubbish to be honest, it doesn't hang well together as a conclusion at all. It's left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth actually.

But to be honest the story after about Episode 4 was simultaneously silly and unremarkable. I went into the game expecting something quite mature and well-plotted and came out thinking maybe I should finally try Silent Hill Shattered Memories since I've heard that has a great story. Shame, I really expected something better than what we got, plot-wise anyway.
the ending makes sense on its own. if you read the manuscripts and play through it a second time, you notice a lot of stuff that helps putting things together. i really dont want dlc that explains the ending more, the ending is perfect.

and the story was not mature and well plotted? really?

Ugh. After playing the game for about an hour, I realised that I left my ipod in the car and I want to listen to something. It's 1 am here and I live in pretty much the Irish equivalent to Bright Falls. It's gonna be fairly tense walking down my driveway with flashlight in hand.

Dabanton

Just finished Chapter 2 and what a episode.

A few moments i got away by the skin of my teeth. :lol

I've got my 5.1 system on a couple of times i've been stunned by some of the sounds.

Amazing stuff.

conman

S1kkZ said:
the ending makes sense on its own. if you read the manuscripts and play through it a second time, you notice a lot of stuff that helps putting things together. i really dont want dlc that explains the ending more, the ending is perfect.
Yup. I didn't feel like it was a "cliffhanger" at all. Maybe a bit ambiguous and dense (and undeniably silly), but definitely not a cliffhanger.

I really wish they had tightened up the late-game plot points a bit and cut out some of the extraneous twists because up until that final episode, the game is tackling some seriously ambitious storytelling (and does so with subtlety and skill). But in that last hour or so, it devolves into much more typical and unremarkable video game storytelling. A bit of a mess in the end IMO.

Prine

Banned
Dabanton said:
Just finished Chapter 2 and what a episode.

A few moments i got away by the skin of my teeth. :lol

I've got my 5.1 system on a couple of times i've been stunned by some of the sounds.

Amazing stuff.

I just beat ep 2, averaging 2-3 hours per episode, and im missing out stuff because im too bloody scared to investigate.

Rickety old cabins are a mind trip for me, especially when the rear speakers emphasizes someone elses breathing in certain areas. You feel like your always being watched, God damn im trying to hold it together.

Im calling it a night now, the Amir Khan boxing match is on soon. Got to get some coffee in for that.

This game is not scary at all. The taken are kinda cheesy. Alan Wake needs to shut the fuck up, his comments really get on my nerves.

Great atmosphere though, one of the most authentic looking videogames ever created. The gameplay thus far is solid.

Mixed feelings so far going into chapter 3, this game has some serious tonal problems to overcome.

Prine

Banned
Omotesando said:
This game is not scary at all. The taken are kinda cheesy. Alan Wake needs to shut the fuck up, his comments really get on my nerves.

Great atmosphere though, one of the most authentic looking videogames ever created. The gameplay thus far is solid.

Mixed feelings so far going into chapter 3, this game has some serious tonal problems to overcome.

I get some relief when Alan comments, i know im safe for the moment.

Edit: How are ou playing it? Setup, difficulty, setting(night/day). Like a horror movie i need to have the right environment to watch and appreciate.

I liked Alan's comments too. I think he was a great character, not as tortured as Max Payne but still very likeable. He's not going too far in the "oh crap" stuff like Nathan Drake, I appreciate that.

derFeef

Yeah, I will need to play it again so I can understand it fully. I am thinking all the time about this game. That never happened in a videogame before for me.

Damn, I just looked at the statistic and I am missing 40 maunuscript pages and one (!) TV show. :lol

S1kkZ said:
the game is scary and tense (i play at night), i guess playing on nightmare really helps.
It really is. It is just in the sweetspot for me, perfect.

derFeef

Omotesando said:
I don´t know. When I read things like this then you are not fully into it and "just playing a game". I think it really depends on your gaming preferences. This is story driven and you are getting a lot of story and narrative thrown at you. If you do not like it, it may be a sign of overtaxing?

fedit: sorry for double post, wanted to edit it in.

Teknoman

Omotesando said:

Have you played Max Payne? Remedy always makes protagonists that talk to themselves when in crazy situations. Of course that was probably because of the noir theme...but point still stands.

MMaRsu

Prine[B said:
]I just beat ep 2, averaging 2-3 hours per episode, and im missing out stuff because im too bloody scared to investigate.

Rickety old cabins are a mind trip for me, especially when the rear speakers emphasizes someone elses breathing in certain areas. You feel like your always being watched, God damn im trying to hold it together.[/B]

Im calling it a night now, the Amir Khan boxing match is on soon. Got to get some coffee in for that.

Just like me holy shit :lol

derFeef

The ending - I mean it is closed and finished, but I have so many theories that may be all true. It is 3am and I already know that I can not sleep for hours, because I want it to be finished in my brain.

Reckoner

derFeef said:
Yeah, I will need to play it again so I can understand it fully. I am thinking all the time about this game. That never happened in a videogame before for me.

Damn, I just looked at the statistic and I am missing 40 maunuscript pages and one (!) TV show. :lol

It really is. It is just in the sweetspot for me, perfect.
Mee too.

Can't take the game outside my mind. For example, I was in a conversation with a friend of mine via Skype, some minutes ago, about what we've seen about the story so far. It took something like three hours and we haven't talk about everything because he had to go.:lol

Alan Wake's story is a mind fuck.
watership said:
you again.
Just my opinion.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Big Papa Husker said:
Does it look like this LE will actually be limited like the ME2 one, or will it be like Halo 3 and be on clearance for 75% off a year or two from now?

Hard to tell. New IP LE's usually end up pretty rare

Pretty sure Bioshock/ME1 LE's are rare.

I've been avoiding this thread for spoilers, and then I came across the scattered pages in the game... What the fuck? :lol

What is the general consciousness about these pages? What is the purpose of ruining events before they actually happen?

I'll keep on collecting them, but I'm not reading any of that.

Oyashiro

Just started Chapter 5 and I have to say I'm definitely disappointed in the game. I set my standards too high, so it's really my own fault. Graphics are very good (although expressions are absolutely terrible and damn near laughable), atmosphere is the best asset, music is great, gameplay is pretty good. My major gripe is with the story. That's really all I cared about for this game, and I'm extremely disappointed. So far, it's been a convoluted mess and not interesting in the least. At this point, I'm playing it just to see where the hell they're gonna take this.

L0st Id3ntity said:
I've been avoiding this thread for spoilers, and then I came across the scattered pages in the game... What the fuck? :lol

What is the general consciousness about these pages? What is the purpose of ruining events before they actually happen?

Yeah, I don't read them either. It's like the game spoils itself. :lol

This game will have a significant impact in the genre of horror games, just like Silent Hill.
Remedy saved a whole genre from being redundant.
Thank you guys

sinnergy

silenthill1979 said:
This game will have a significant impact in the genre of horror games, just like Silent Hill.
Remedy saved a whole genre from being redundant.
Thank you guys
Yup. Me and a friend of mine both have the game he is into these type of games BIG TIME. Also horror movies.

He was like well Resident Evil 6 team has their work cut out now. Because this is the new way to make these type of games. He really dislikes RES5 because it's not horror/survival anymore.

And he played them all.

FTWer said:
:lol :lol :lol

Why was that funny? It is the better game. I'm about to finish Chapter 5 of Alan, and there isn't a single element (bar those gained by being on the 360 (frame-rate, graphics)) that is better than Shattered Memories, and the game itself is pretty damn similar - walk around, explore with torch in dark places, panic when shadowy things attack. And the stuff that Shattered Memories does with narrative is far, far more interesting than anything Alan Wake does in the exposition-heavy cutscenes.

Majora

L0st Id3ntity said:

In Chapter 1 they do tend to ruin things in a bit. But after that I would really recommend reading them through, they flesh out a lot of characters backstories, show events from other characters perspectives, tell you about events that occur in different parts of the world which you never otherwise see etc...a load of information you would never otherwise get. Personally after Chapter 1 I thought the foretelling of events was done quite well but I can understand why people wouldn't want anything spoiled.

L0st Id3ntity said:

Spoiling? That's the point! They've been put in by the developers at specific points to tease and draw you along, and you're meant to read them! They're not ruining events; it's the way that they wanted to structure the narrative, in this way that you have constant peeks into what's going to happen but you don't know when they're going to hit, or the context. (The
Tor & Odin ones
are a perfect example of that.)

If you're not reading them then you're not playing it as the devs intended. Not saying that's right or wrong, but they're very definitely targeted at giving you info at certain points.

Majora

S1kkZ said:

and the story was not mature and well plotted? really?

Do you mind explaining how you interpreted the story then? Putting it in spoiler tags obviously. Because I don't think it is easy to understand. I looked at the official forums ending discussion thread and everyone has a different theory so I think that in itself shows it was convoluted and not well-explained. In particular what I don't understand is:

- What was the Mr Scratch stuff all about? Is it somehow related to the Night Springs Episode about alternate realities?
- Are we to assume Alan sacrificed himself to maintain balance and save Alice? How does Mr Scratch 'taking his place' tie into this?
- The ocean line, to me, could be interpreted in about 100 different ways, what do you think it means?
- Who is actually writing the story? Alan or Tom? How did Tom write the line about the clicker and Alan's childhood unless Tom is the ultimate writer and creator of what happens? In which case, is any of the gameworld real at all? Is it all a story being told by Tom? I found this very confusing. I didn't understand how, in the end, Alan could write the cabin back into existence. What did he write it in with, he didn't have a typewriter.
- What exactly is the darkness? Or are we just to accept it's an evil force and not worry about what it is or where it came from? Do we accept that the darkness just made the cabin and island on the lake appear in order to take Alice and lure Alan into writing a story. Which is fine if so, I just naturally seek solutions to everything :lol

Honestly if someone wants to show me the story is actually explained and makes sense that's great. I'm planning to play through on Nightmare anyway and hoping things come together but my initial reaction was one of disappointment.

I agree with Majora. The story is a total mess and way to many things do not really makes sense. The more I think about it the more holes I find in the plot. And it's not even concerning the ending but the things that happen throughout the game. For instance:

- How does Mott know Alice has disappeared in the first place?
Where does he have his phone number from?
- Why is Nightingale after Wake?
- Why does the lake make art come true?

I mean, I'm ok with it that some things are not explained but this is just way to much if you ask me.

And btw.: Does someone know how the book from the LE fits into the whole story? Is it supposed to be an offical part of it or not? If yes I don't understand why some of Nightingale's notes in the story and some don't.

Peff

The problem with the story is that at the end (I guess this'll be clear in the DLC, especially the second episode) it's not really clear whether
Alan is just a writer (Tom?) who is writing the events of the game because Alice left him for being such a mess or if he really is there in the island and writes himself into the story, disappearing at the end
. Also, the book fits for the most part by filling a bit of what happens to other characters in the first few chapters, it also implies
that everything happened and Alan has been missing since... which shouldn't be possible if he seemingly reset time at the end, but then again the ending shows the Deer Fest which is chapter 5 and the book only goes as far as early chapter 4

Top Bottom