• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

What I dislike about the pages is Alan Wake actually reading them out loud. I'd prefer to read them myself, so I mute the sound. That and the fact you have to press back to read the next one. Give me an option to just flick through them.

I'm nearing the end of Chapter 4 by the looks. Enjoying it more now than I was at first. I think driving around in the woodlands at night has a really errie feeling to it and a great atmosphere. Almost makes me wish the game was a bit more open ended so I could find abandoned houses/barnes etc in the middle of nowhere and investigate.

BTW how many chapter are there?

I really wished the character models were better, I think they let the game down a bit. Is Alan Wake's model actually any more detailed than NPCs? At least there could have put more effort into him.

derFeef said:
I don´t know. When I read things like this then you are not fully into it and "just playing a game". I think it really depends on your gaming preferences. This is story driven and you are getting a lot of story and narrative thrown at you. If you do not like it, it may be a sign of overtaxing?

fedit: sorry for double post, wanted to edit it in.

One of my personal favorite genres are survival horror / action horror. And my favorite (Silent Hill) is actually very heavy on storytelling. That said, Alan Wake simply does not resonate aswell as for example the Silent Hill / RE series or even Dead Space, in terms of thrill, suspense, horror and the storytelling that inherently presents that aspect to the gamer. Resident Evil and Dead Space does not have that quality of storytelling as Silent Hill, but they make up with other means.

Silent Hill with its despotic enemy design, mixed with an intense soundtrack. On top of that, Silent Hill does have a story worth telling.

The campy Resident Evil series effectively uses presentation and scare tactics to frighten us. Dead Space also campy and cheesy emulates a situation in space where rapid flashes of light and shadow actually makes you uncomfortable. Although the Necromorph design could have been better, they are generally effective enough.

With Alan Wake the Taken are lumberjacks with an aura of dark shadow, that can be effectively removed with a simple flashlight. It is not as visceral or mesmerizing as the enemy design of other games. On top of that, they even talk and throw lines like: 'Alan Wake you are a bad writer' and 'you have met your deadline'. It is almost schizzophrenic. You have this amazing authentic atmosphere, a visual impressive and convincing location, yet Remedy chose to stick to the camp and cheese in storytelling.

I saw Uncharted 2 brought up, where cheese and camp actually is something you would expect in that game. Ironically, I found the emotion and horror when for example the sequence where Elena almost died to be much more engrossing than for example the way Alan Wake throws a few lines commenting the dissapearance of his wife.

With this said, Roy Orbison's 'In Dreams' sounds misplaced and forced. Only through two chapters though.

Prine said:
I get some relief when Alan comments, i know im safe for the moment.

Edit: How are ou playing it? Setup, difficulty, setting(night/day). Like a horror movie i need to have the right environment to watch and appreciate.

Great horror does not rely on the right 'environment.' Although the only factor I could think off are headphones, definitely play these games with headphones.

I agree with Majora. The story is a total mess and way to many things do not really makes sense. The more I think about it the more holes I find in the plot. And it's not even concerning the ending but the things that happen throughout the game. For instance:

- How does Mott know Alice has disappeared in the first place?
Where does he have his phone number from?
- Why is Nightingale after Wake?
- Why does the lake make art come true?

I mean, I'm ok with it that some things are not explained but this is just way to much if you ask me.

And btw.: Does someone know how the book from the LE fits into the whole story? Is it supposed to be an offical part of it or not? If yes I don't understand why some of Nightingale's notes in the story and some don't.
Quoting myself. Nevermind those spoiler-questions.

Guess the main question is what is happening because Alan wrote it and what not.

Mott is in the story because he saw him on the ferry. Since he also heard of Dr. Hartman before the time cut he probably put the whole conspiracy/kidnapping thing of Hartman and Mott in for the sake of the perfect story.
Going further with this thought I'd say Nightingale only exists because Alan created him - thus he also seems to have no real background.
He met Tor and Odin cafeteria so I guess it was easy for him to put them into the story. Same thing with Cynthia.
Why Tomes Zane is in the story can also be explained with it that he saw his books in the cabin and then made up the story with Jagger.
One more question is if the island really isn't there or if Alan only made it disappear in the story.
Are the Taken only that way because Alan had this weird dream on the ferry?

Now what bothers me most with this theory is that he clearly hasn't met all the people in the story before the time cut. Hmm... Give me kind of a headache right now. But maybe that's what Sam Lake wanted after all. Bitch....

Teknoman said:
Have you played Max Payne? Remedy always makes protagonists that talk to themselves when in crazy situations. Of course that was probably because of the noir theme...but point still stands.

Max Payne 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. Max Payne has this misplaced selfimprtance and 'seriousness', which is inherent to the way graphic novels and noir operates. They choose style over realism. It worked for Max Payne or 'Sin City', but thus far not for Alan Wake or for example that wacky, horrible movie 'Watchmen'. A very thin line, yes.

Omotesando said:
One of my personal favorite genres are survival horror / action horror. And my favorite (Silent Hill) is actually very heavy on storytelling. That said, Alan Wake simply does not resonate aswell as for example the Silent Hill / RE series or even Dead Space, in terms of thrill, suspense, horror and the storytelling that inherently presents that aspect to the gamer. Resident Evil and Dead Space does not have that quality of storytelling as Silent Hill, but they make up with other means.

Silent Hill with its despotic enemy design, mixed with an intense soundtrack. On top of that, Silent Hill does have a story worth telling.

The campy Resident Evil series effectively uses presentation and scare tactics to frighten us. Dead Space also campy and cheesy emulates a situation in space where rapid flashes of light and shadow actually makes you uncomfortable. Although the Necromorph design could have been better, they are generally effective enough.

With Alan Wake the Taken are lumberjacks with an aura of dark shadow, that can be effectively removed with a simple flashlight. It is not as visceral or mesmerizing as the enemy design of other games. On top of that, they even talk and throw lines like: 'Alan Wake you are a bad writer' and 'you have met your deadline'. It is almost schizzophrenic. You have this amazing authentic atmosphere, a visual impressive and convincing location, yet Remedy chose to stick to the camp and cheese in storytelling.

I saw Uncharted 2 brought up, where cheese and camp actually is something you would expect in that game. Ironically, I found the emotion and horror when for example the sequence where Elena almost died to be much more engrossing than for example the way Alan Wake throws a few lines commenting the dissapearance of his wife.

With this said, Roy Orbison's 'In Dreams' sounds misplaced and forced. Only through two chapters though.

No offense, but that's the dumbest complaints I've ever heard. Dead Space ? Really ? I loved that game, but the story and writing were just embarassing. And I don't see why you would except cheesiness from UC2 but not from Alan Wake... especially when AW is not very cheesy, it's far far from UC2 in this department. I mean, guys dressing in Yetis ? Really ? I mean really ?

And what the hell was wrong with the track ? I thought all the songs matched perfectly the tone of the game. That's some serious nitpicking issues you've got here.

TheExorsist said:

Except for the last question, all the answers are in the game. Manuscript pages dude. Read them.

About the plot, it clearly has holes though, but I think that it was made on purpose. I like plot discussions like these actually, and DLC will probably bring some answers. Season 2 as well, I hope.

LordPhoque said:
No offense, but that's the dumbest complaints I've ever heard. Dead Space ? Really ? I loved that game, but the story and writing were just embarassing. And I don't see why you would except cheesiness from UC2 but not from Alan Wake... especially when AW is not very cheesy, it's far far from UC2 in this department. I mean, guys dressing in Yetis ? Really ? I mean really ?

And what the hell was wrong with the track ? I thought all the songs matched perfectly the tone of the game. That's some serious nitpicking issues you've got here.

Except for the last question, all the answers are in the game. Manuscript pages dude. Read them.

Read my post again, Dead Space is just plain silly and yea UC2 is cheesy. Both games don't have this aura of self importance as Alan Wake though.

Omotesando said:
Read my post again, Dead Space is just plain silly and yea UC2 is cheesy. Both games don't have this aura of self importance as Alan Wake though.

Yes they have. Alan Wake is no more realistic than these games. Actually, UC2 is the more realistic game of these...

DodgerSan

Possible problem.

In the Extras/Playback menu, the radios do't work. Everything else does, but not the radios.

Happen for anyone else?

I'm just at the beginning of chapter 3 and noticed this:

Berry mentions that the island was owned by Thomas Zane ---> Alan saw the books in the carton so there we have a connection.
It is also mentioned that Thomas was into diving ---> the island is called diver's isle and Alan obviously saw this before the time cut, so he just made Thomas a diver.
Lastly Berry says that the island went down in the 1970s due to the volcano erruption ---> in Alan's work room in the cabin there is a calendar on 1970.

Think it's all made up. Including the
Thomas Zane character.

@LordPhoque: It's not. But that doesn't matter now.

Widge

I never felt like UC2 was cheesy. Yes, it adhered to your classic US adventure romp like Romancing The Stone and Indiana Jones but it delivered it so well. The writing and direction was key and that really is the knife edge that these things work on. You can't really put your finger on why something does and doesn't work other than you know when experiencing it what camp it falls into.

Do kind of hope I get a chance to have a look at AW one day, I will have to be in the "hope for that PC version" camp though to get that experience

LordPhoque said:
Yes they have. Alan Wake is no more realistic than these games. Actually, UC2 is the more realistic game of these...

Then we disagree. Probably the reason why you could/would enjoy Alan Wake more than me.
I think UC2 is more on par with Indiana Jones and Alan Wake with 'Blue Velvet' or 'Twin Peaks'. Could be wrong though, I probably misjudged Alan Wake in that regard.

So what is it then? A bad episode of the Twilight zone?

Omotesando said:
Then we disagree. Probably the reason why you could/would enjoy Alan Wake more than me.
I think UC2 is more on par with Indiana Jones and Alan Wake with 'Blue Velvet' or 'Twin Peaks'. Could be wrong though, I probably misjudged Alan Wake in that regard.

So what is it then? A bad episode of the Twilight zone?

Dude, the Dark Presence, writing stuff that comes true, the Taken, how is that realistic ?

Apart from the monsters in UC1, the Uncharted series is only made of realistic situations.

Alan Wake just reminded me of a good horror book. Writing is not as good as in a book of course, but it's definitely the best I've seen this gen. Plot has issues, maybe some DLC content should have been included in the game so we wouldn't be here wondering about the ending... but personally I like open endings.

LordPhoque said:
Dude, the Dark Presence, writing stuff that comes true, the Taken, how is that realistic ?

Apart from the monsters in UC1, the Uncharted series is only made of realistic situations.

Alan Wake just reminded me of a good horror book. Writing is not as good as in a book of course, but it's definitely the best I've seen this gen. Plot has issues, maybe some DLC content should have been included in the game so we wouldn't be here wondering about the ending... but personally I like open endings.

How can I explain this...

Dreamlike or dark presentations like presented in Alan Wake or for example the works of David Lynch, always are used as undertones for serious emotions and depictions of mostly small American towns. It is Remedy's way of making making these abstract notions 'real' or at least in the nightmarish minds of these protagenists.

I disagree with your comment of UC2 aswell: Drake kills hundreds of soldiers, a few helicopters and is as flexible as Spiderman.

Omotesando said:
I disagree with your comment of UC2 aswell: Drake kills hundreds of soldiers, a few helicopters and is as flexible as Spiderman.

It may not be realistic then, but it's possible. You can do that, technically. He's not killing monsters or zombies.

Peff

Hm, some stuff the story(spoilers)

At the beginning of the game in the nightmare, Thomas Zane (the light) mentions that there is a sea beyond the lake where he lives and asks Alan if he got it. Maybe the lake/ocean thing is indeed to be taken literally as a sequel hook. Also, Clay Steward (the writer of the Alan Wake files appears in the nightmare and dies, which he mentions in the prologue of the book as something that happens to both Alan and him every night. At the end of the book he also mentions that he went looking for Alan through Bright Falls and he caught a glimpse of a man identical to him with a big smile (Mr. Scratchy?). Tor and Odin also call Alan "Tom".

leng jai

LordPhoque said:
It may not be realistic then, but it's possible. You can do that, technically. He's not killing monsters or zombies.

Pretty sure half the jumps Drake does in UC2 are 100% impossible.

derFeef

God, do we need UC2 talk here?

Peff said:
Hm, some stuff the story(spoilers)

At the beginning of the game in the nightmare, Thomas Zane (the light) mentions that there is a sea beyond the lake where he lives and asks Alan if he got it. Maybe the lake/ocean thing is indeed to be taken literally as a sequel hook. Also, Clay Steward (the writer of the Alan Wake files appears in the nightmare and dies, which he mentions in the prologue of the book as something that happens to both Alan and him every night. At the end of the book he also mentions that he went looking for Alan through Bright Falls and he caught a glimpse of a man identical to him with a big smile (Mr. Scratchy?). Tor and Odin also call Alan "Tom".

Alan expands the story outwards Bright Falls with his words, thats for sure.
But I still do not get the Mr. Scratchy, Alan, and Tom Zane relationship.

Majmun

This game has been really good so far. I'm up to chapter 5. The story is pretty interesting and the attention to details in the environments is crazy.
Haven't been scared at all so far, though. But the atmosphere is really unique and has been done really well.

There isn't much exploration in the game sadly. I kinda miss that considering the open landscapes.
And Alan Wake's lousy stamnia annoys me. He gets tired too fast.

And What's with the Shattered Memories comparisons in this thread? I've finished SM. I'm a huge SH fan and I liked SM. But Alan Wake is the better game imo.
Alan Wake feels like a blockbuster movie while Shattered Memories feels like a college student art project in comparison.

S1kkZ

derFeef said:
God, do we need UC2 talk here?

Alan expands the story outwards Bright Falls with his words, thats for sure.
But I still do not get the Mr. Scratchy, Alan, and Tom Zane relationship.

WARNING: heavy story spoilers!
alan is a copy of tom zane, which he created (alans whole life was written by tom zane, including alice). he used alan the whole time to get out of the lake and get back to a normal life with his wife. i think he also wrote alice, who is based on his missing wife. mr. scratchy is a new body/clone which tom zane uses for his new life and to be with his "wife" (alice) again.
we need an extra plot discussion thread.

derFeef

S1kkZ said:
Oh god yes :lol
Thanks for the explanation, so my first thought was right, Tor and Odin called him Tom, no? But it makes no sense in so many levels that I threw it away pretty fast. To be honest, it still makes no sense.

S1kkZ said:
WARNING: heavy story spoilers!
alan is a copy of tom zane, which he created (alans whole life was written by tom zane, including alice). he used alan the whole time to get out of the lake and get back to a normal life with his wife. i think he also wrote alice, who is based on his missing wife. mr. scratchy is a new body/clone which tom zane uses for his new life and to be with his "wife" (alice) again.

Why would he think that he could go back to his normal wife with his wife if he knows that she's been taken by the dark presence ? The hell is the dark presence anyway ? Very Lovecraftian stuff.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I got the Collectors Edition Guide/Development book bundle from Amazon today. Both books are really thick, and the Illuminated book is hard back. Really good deal.

I've only flicked through both books, but the Game Guide looks exhaustive, is really good quality and well laid out to look almost like a notebook/scrapbook.

The Alan Wake: Illuminated book is essential for anyone interested in the development of the game. It has the history of Remedy, and goes through the entire development of the game from early 2004 to completion in 2010.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/030746654X/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0307469522/

I took some photos for those interested:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/4610884515_efb9b5371f_o.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1407/4611493412_a6c924bfae_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4053/4610884357_13e2cdd35f_o.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1181/4610884411_7049100c31_o.jpg

4611493560_3b21534635_o.jpg

TheExorzist said:
I agree with Majora. The story is a total mess and way to many things do not really makes sense. The more I think about it the more holes I find in the plot. And it's not even concerning the ending but the things that happen throughout the game. For instance:

I mean, I'm ok with it that some things are not explained but this is just way to much if you ask me.

And btw.: Does someone know how the book from the LE fits into the whole story? Is it supposed to be an offical part of it or not? If yes I don't understand why some of Nightingale's notes in the story and some don't.
The Alan Wake Files is official part of the story.

The story isn't finished yet, so I don't see why you would complain about plot holes at this point. There are two more episodes for the first season.

derFeef

AndyMoogle said:
The Alan Wake Files is official part of the story.

The story isn't finished yet, so I don't see why you would complain about plot holes at this point. There are two more episodes for the first season.
The story is finished. Remedy said that the DLC Episodes will only fill some gaps in the story, or shine a different light (ha) on some elements.

Majora

But the problem I have is that the devs are saying the ending is complete and that, if no DLC or Alan Wake 2 was ever to be made, they would be happy with the ending. Well, they might, but I'm not sure many fans would be.

Anyway I'm going to make a quick Alan Wake plot thread so people can post their thoughts on the game there without running into tons of spoiler posts, especially since the game isn't even out in America yet.

I was pretty satisfied with the ending. Aren't you people reading the manuscript pages? They add a lot. The Alan Wake Files and Bright Falls add some to it as well.

Now, if you did read all pages and still didn't find the story to be satisfying... We ARE getting more. Come back and complain once we've gotten the other 2 episodes.

S1kkZ

@cjelly: i cant find the bundle you mentioned. i only find the official collectors guide and the standard guide. (amazon.uk)

I finished the game and enjoyed it. It's a solid third person adventure with a decent story and insane production values. However, since finishing it I appear to have lost my torch and gun, so will have to walk around for five minutes until I find a new set. I will repeat this every episode.

EDIT: Incidentally, I've said it before and I'll say it again, but this was a very similar sort of game to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, only the latter had a far, far better narrative. Whilst Alan Wake's fighting bits are better than Shattered Memories' alternative (the terrified running away segments) - the story, psychological stuff (as neither game was actually scary, bother aiming for unsettling instead, I felt), puzzle aspects of the narrative and general writing are actually better in Silent Hill. If you haven't played it but you've really enjoyed Alan Wake, you should give it a try.

Something pretty cool I noticed when I was playing...

When you first get the cabin and have a look around. If you go up to the bedroom and look at the calendar, its July 1970 I think. Which had me confused for a while, but it all started to fall into place after playing for a bit.

cjelly said:
I got the Collectors Edition Guide/Development book bundle from Amazon today. Both books are really thick, and the Illuminated book is hard back. Really good deal.

Thanks for posting, just ordered it!

Had a look around Amazon and noticed there is also an Alan Wake Novel due out in August over here. 25th May in the states. First I've heard of it.

S1kkZ

GazzaScotland said:
Thanks for posting, just ordered it!

Had a look around Amazon and noticed there is also an Alan Wake Novel due out in August over here. 25th May in the states. First I've heard of it.
wait: so that is the bundle? the guide and the making-of book for 14 bucks? need confirmation before i order it.

Reckoner

cjelly said:

I've only flicked through both books, but the Game Guide looks exhaustive, is really good quality and well laid out to look almost like a notebook/scrapbook.

The Alan Wake: Illuminated book is essential for anyone interested in the development of the game. It has the history of Remedy, and goes through the entire development of the game from early 2004 to completion in 2010.

You bought the Collector's Edition bundle? This one. It comes with both, the guide and the illuminated book, right?

Thanks.

S1kkZ said:
wait: so that is the bundle? the guide and the making-of book for 14 bucks? need confirmation before i order it.

Thats a good point, didn't see the other one. Thankfully I didn't confirm the whole order yet. Will look around a bit and make sure.

Edit: Looking around other sites are similar prices, but don't call the other Illuminated, just the "Hard Back"

S1kkZ

GazzaScotland said:
Thats a good point, didn't see the other one. Thankfully I didn't confirm the whole order yet. Will look around a bit and make sure.

Edit: Looking around other sites are similar prices, but don't call the other Illuminated, just the "Hard Back"
amazon uk says: Collectors Bundle includes the full strategy guide as well as a Hardcover making of Alan Wake book

i hope they mean the alan wake illuminated thing tha cjelly mentioned. where is he anyway? we need ansers!

Prine

Banned
Omotesando said:
Great horror does not rely on the right 'environment.' Although the only factor I could think off are headphones, definitely play these games with headphones.

Disagree 100 %. Films and books i read would not be as scary or terrifying if the setting was not right. That is to feel the full impact i need to maybe play on triggers that intensify the fear.

Reckoner

S1kkZ said:
amazon uk says: Collectors Bundle includes the full strategy guide as well as a Hardcover making of Alan Wake book

i hope they mean the alan wake illuminated thing tha cjelly mentioned. where is he anyway? we need ansers!
I'm going to get this one because I know that that one definetly has both books, as it says in the description. And the pice looks, at least, more credible than only 14$ for two books.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
S1kkZ said:

It sounds pretty obvious that's the one. Just go for it.

S1kkZ

cjelly said:
I linked to the Bundle I have in my very post... provided links for Amazon US and Amazon UK. Dunno what's so confusing. :D
the one at uk has not enough pages. guide 240 pages + illuminated 176 pages. the bundle at amazon uk only has 316 pages.

Wizpig

Just bought the collector's edition but didn't get the store-related stuff such as the T-Shirt and the Dashboard theme, if anyone got one of these things I'd be happy to take a code!
I'll check if I have some 48 hours of Live Gold if somebody wants to trade.

~Kinggi~

Banned
cjelly said:

4611493560_3b21534635_o.jpg

How big is the making-of book? Im interested in this.

Edit; 176 pages? Sounds decently sized.

Also, for those interested, you can get the Illuminated book all by itself:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307470148/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hey guys I just pre-ordered this from amazon. I just noticed that Walmart just dropped the game an additional 10 dollars. Do you know if amazon will match this?

trancekr

The_Inquisitor said:
Hey guys I just pre-ordered this from amazon. I just noticed that Walmart just dropped the game an additional 10 dollars. Do you know if amazon will match this?

I don't think Amazon does price match.

Top Bottom