• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Kevtones

When can we expect reviews?

F this month btw.

May 11 - 3D Dot
May 18 - Alan Wake
May 23 - Super Mario Galaxy 2/Arc Rise Fantastia

derFeef

miladesn said:
weird, Eurogamer review doesn't load for me.
Because it should not be up yet. However, I tried to find other reviews that person made and found some gross things ;)

Curious to read that review later.

TripOpt55

I'm very excited for this game. There is a lot of stuff coming this month that I want but I'll definitely be getting this. Great job with the thread.

JdFoX187

Banned
Omotesando said:
7/10 from Eurogamer. Somewhat of a dissapointment for Remedy and 5 years in the making.
One review and only a non-specific score. Perhaps should wait for more reviews and/or an actual review to go along with the score before we start screaming disappointment?

Syriel

derFeef said:
Because it should not be up yet. However, I tried to find other reviews that person made and found some gross things ;)

Curious to read that review later.

heringer said:
Now NZGamer's review is down too.

Microsoft ninjas breathing on people's necks.

With the likes of Metacritic (and all its clones) + active fans looking for reviews, one really has to wonder why some journos insist on trying to break embargos.

Do they honestly just not give a shit? Or are they naieve enough to think that no one in the Microsoft PR dept will notice? Hell, they're probably on GAF themselves. ;)

The BrightFall prequels were a great idea definitely helps set the mood for what we can expect. Ever since Silent Hill I have been waiting for a game that would evoke the same type of atmosphere of being utterly alone.

2 weeks bah!

Chrange

Banned
Syriel said:
With the likes of Metacritic (and all its clones) + active fans looking for reviews, one really has to wonder why some journos insist on trying to break embargos.

Do they honestly just not give a shit? Or are they naieve enough to think that no one in the Microsoft PR dept will notice? Hell, they're probably on GAF themselves. ;)
Usually the guy doing the review isn't the one in charge of when it goes live. And you can put "EMBARGO UNTIL 5 pm PST 05/05/2010" on it as many times as you want...they'll put it live anyway.

Majora

When they said Ellie was doing the Eurogamer review I actually expected that kind of score. Just didn't seem like her type of game based on her past reviews.

JdFoX187 said:
Did Twin Peaks ever get a fitting conclusion? I remember watching parts of it when I was a kid, and really liked it, but never finished. Then I heard ABC dicked it over tremendously. I don't want to get invested in it if there's no endgame.

Second and last season pretty much ends with the worst cliffhanger in TV history.
Lynch tried to wrap it up a bit with Fire Walk With Me, but still... :(

But watch it anyway! It's definitely worth it. Twin Peaks remains amazing, especially the first season.

JdFoX187 said:
One review and only a non-specific score. Perhaps should wait for more reviews and/or an actual review to go along with the score before we start screaming disappointment?

Who is screaming, my tone is less 'screamy' than yours.

Anyway yea I stated one score, more scores create a more truthfull consensus, I agree.....

moai

what the hell. the game has already been leaked, two weeks early. makes it really hard to avoid spoilers when all the pirates are talking about it. i hate when this happens.

:(

soco

Omotesando said:
7/10 from Eurogamer. Somewhat of a dissapointment for Remedy and 5 years in the making.

people really need to stop thinking about how long a title was developed for, because as we've seen time and time again, it has no bearing on the final quality. there are so many variables in that alone, like the size of the team, and the state of their engine versus where they wanted to go.

soco said:
people really need to stop thinking about how long a title was developed for, because as we've seen time and time again, it has no bearing on the final quality. there are so many variables in that alone, like the size of the team, and the state of their engine versus where they wanted to go.

no ... but 5 years is a huge investment for the publisher and it's only natural to assume that bigger investment should = more quality (after all, that's why the investment is made in the first place).

soco said:

Offcourse, but then again I didn't say long developing time has bearing on the final quality...

moai said:
what the hell. the game has already been leaked, two weeks early. makes it really hard to avoid spoilers when all the pirates are talking about it. i hate when this happens.

actually WTF is up with Xbox and these leaks? It seems every 360 game is leaked ages before release now.

Also.... http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/alanwake#critics

not earth shattering so far... what happen to all the 'OMG GOTY' previews?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Isn't a 7 from Eurogamer actually considered a pretty decent score? I don't know, maybe the game will prove to be a little divisive.

NinjaFusion said:
actually WTF is up with Xbox and these leaks? It seems every 360 game is leaked ages before release now.

Also.... http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/alanwake#critics

Butler.jpg

jetjevons said:
Isn't a 7 from Eurogamer actually considered a pretty decent score? I don't know, maybe the game will prove to be a little divisive.

Eurogamer gave Deadly Premonition and SC: Conviction a 7 recently. An 8 for Metro 2033 for reference.

I think a 7 is a must play for fans.

This is probably a really stupid question but how is a closed console like the 360 getting leaked copy's of the game? I thought it was really difficult to pirate anything non-nintendo console wise.

Dax01 said:

Ha!

soco

Omotesando said:
Offcourse, but then again I didn't say long developing time has bearing on the final quality...

you implied it. you're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

BruceLeeRoy said:
This is probably a really stupid question but how is a closed console like the 360 getting leaked copy's of the game? I thought it was really difficult to pirate anything non-nintendo console wise.

Ha!

Not at all. 360 games are all over ready to be downloaded. Whether it was someone at the distribution facility, a game shop, someone who bought it early and uploaded it, plenty of scenarios.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
NinjaFusion said:

And you're surprised....? Anything that's easily pirated always have leaks.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
moai said:

Hardly two weeks.. a lot of people will have legit copies in a week.

Alright I am just going to be posting these as I make them so first come first serve;
Also please download and rehost if you wouldn't mind :)

Eurogamer gave Dead Space a 7/10. Dead Space was my GOTY for 2008 and remains in my top 10 all-time "game experiences". They have their own criteria for rating games and it does not necessarily conform to my own standards. Hype unaffected.

Mango Positive said:
Eurogamer gave Dead Space a 7/10. Dead Space was my GOTY for 2008 and remains in my top 10 all-time "game experiences". They have their own criteria for rating games and it does not necessarily conform to my own standards. Hype unaffected.
Losers.

surly

Banned
Majora said:
When they said Ellie was doing the Eurogamer review I actually expected that kind of score. Just didn't seem like her type of game based on her past reviews.
Agreed. I like Ellie Gibson, but her tastes in gaming are very different from mine based on the games she's reviewed in the past, which are largely casual games.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Meijer broke the street date for this in the US, which is possibly where the leak originated. It's been possible to play pirated games on the 360 for years just by flashing the DVD drive firmware.

alanwake2.png

Ah sweet glad you like it man.

surly said:
Meijer broke the street date for this in the US, which is possibly where the leak originated. It's been possible to play pirated games on the 360 for years just by flashing the DVD drive firmware.

That is crazy I had no idea. Can they pirate ps3 games too?

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
It would sure go well with their less than enthusiastic review of Max Payne (no score, however).
Hehe, johnbye/gestalt wrote that awful review. he did a few like these for the lulz, back when eurogamer was good but sometimes completely not serious. 4/10 for mafia. 8/10 for halo.

Tokubetsu

I fully expect to not being able to afford the ltd of this and Red Dead come release day...I'll be picking this for sure though. I have faith in Sam Lake.

[Nintex]

NinjaFusion said:
Get used to it, Super Mario Galaxy 2 review copies probably shipped out to a lucky few.
Joseph Merrick said:
4/10 for mafia. 8/10 for halo.
WTF, I don't usually rage about review scores but... off with their heads.

Top Bottom