• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Macarello

Fuck yessssssss, fantastic OP Bruce. I'm slowly counting down the days to the game's release on the 14th. Man, 10 days never seemed so far away.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the Eurogamer review, a 7 from them is still extremely good as they don't run on the same 7-10 point scale most other game sites seem to.

surly

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
That is crazy I had no idea. Can they pirate ps3 games too?
I can't tell if you're just fucking with me or not, but nope, PS3 games can't be pirated. You can download and burn them, you just can't play them.

Amir0x

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:
Isn't that the site that gave Perfect Dark a 5 out of 10 for gameplay and stated that a good reason to buy it on the XBLA was to see how far FPS games have progressed? Anyway guess that's off topic. Look forward to more reviews anyhow.

I trust that reviewer more already. Thanks for the info

Joseph Merrick said:
Hehe, johnbye/gestalt wrote that awful review. he did a few like these for the lulz, back when eurogamer was good but sometimes completely not serious. 4/10 for mafia. 8/10 for halo.

They still get a lot of shit for that. :D
And it seems it was definitely serious, they refer to it in a recent Halo 2 article.

starsky

Great post, Bruce. Informative and stylish, excellent!

This game is really on my radar now. But I need to read some reviews first before plunging in.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
They still get a lot of shit for that. :D
And it seems it was definitely serious, they refer to it in a recent Halo 2 article.
well yeah they'll defend the stupid scores of course, even ten years later from a completely disowned editor heh. but I'm pretty much 100% sure he changed the 9 to a 8 just to annoy the gamerankings watchers

bakemono said:
Great post, Bruce. Informative and stylish, excellent!

This game is really on my radar now. But I need to read some reviews first before plunging in.
whaaat some graphics in an official thread isn't enough to seal the deal?!

eso76

pretty sure silent hill got tons of 6's and 7's, but that didn't keep ir from becoming a classic

alanwake3.png

surly said:
I can't tell if you're just fucking with me or not, but nope, PS3 games can't be pirated. You can download and burn them, you just can't play them.

No I'm serious I really didn't know that.

Joseph Merrick said:
well yeah they'll defend the stupid scores of course, even ten years later from a completely disowned editor heh. but I'm pretty much 100% sure he changed the 9 to a 8 just to annoy the gamerankings watchers

Possibly, I wasn't going there at the time. My problem with modern day Eurogamer isn't with their reviews, however (I don't pay much attention to reviews in general, although I'll read what Edge or Eurogamer have to say from time to time), it's with their news posting. It's become really bad, almost N4G bad, with factual mistakes, unsubstantiated rumors and posting garbage just to stir up controversy.

DeadGzuz

Banned
The Amazon desciption says this:

Explore an Entire Town
The town of Bright Falls is 100 square kilometers, and players will be able to roam through this incredibly detailed area any way they like, roaming the town or wandering out to the lakes, forest, satellite towns, and more. The game gives the player goals, but how he chooses to go about completing them is up to him. Clues are scattered throughout the town, and solving mysteries will require players to pay close attention to the little details.

Is that true? I thought it was a linear game.

derFeef

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Possibly, I wasn't going there at the time. My problem with modern day Eurogamer isn't with their reviews, however (I don't pay much attention to reviews in general, although I'll read what Edge or Eurogamer have to say from time to time), it's with their news posting. It's become really bad, almost N4G bad, with factual mistakes, unsubstantiated rumors and posting garbage just to stir up controversy.
I dig eurogamer reviews mostly, but seeing a person reviewing Alan Wake who mostly does casual game reviews raises some questions inside me.

Pistolero

Alan Wake is a story driven game, and as such the emphasis when evaluating it will be put on the quality of the dialogues, the pacing of the events and the integration of gameplay elements into the mix while maintaining a sweet balance between narration and interactivity. That's what will make or break the game, and that's why it would be peculiar to formulate an opinion without playing it under optimal conditions...
I'm still expecting a load of high marks tomorrow, celebrating the great technical aspects of the game, and the atmosphere Remedy must have infused it with. The reviews we've seen up to now neglected those two fundamental aspects.

soco

Sinatar said:
That's what it was when it was a PC game.

or when they didn't have a clear vision and were just experimenting with cool technology that didn't work with their gameplay.

lockload

Sinatar said:
That's what it was when it was a PC game.
Thats not true they started to go more liner due to storytelling after about 6 months of development, the world is still fully modelled

The Chef

It is only right that a game of such epic proportions should be made by you Bruce.
Good freakin job dude.

Hype +100000000000000000000

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
hehe I haven't read anything eurogamer in a few years, but it definitely always was like that. or at least after they got enough hits/clicks per day for a lot of ads. maybe 2003 or something. a more recent site like vg247, which initially at least was by ex-eurogamer morons, reminds me perfectly how shitty eg was back then. absolutely worthless

soco said:
or when they didn't have a clear vision and were just experimenting with cool technology that didn't work with their gameplay.
haha, anything to make the current version sound better

mujun

DeadGzuz said:
The Amazon desciption says this:

Is that true? I thought it was a linear game.

Doing your best to derail the thread huh. I was disappointed to see you'd made it back.

Ellie Gibson is one of my favorite writers in the industry; however, her reviews are not something I'd take seriously in this regard, especially if you like the genre.

Finally, after all of these years, it's almost here. Shame I won't be able to play it for some time still.

Great OP as usual, BruceLeeRoy.

Youta Mottenai said:
Bright Fall episodes on Youtube for people, like me, who couldn´t run the Silverlight version:

*ADVICE* Disable video notes prior viewing. Annoying, stupid comments and spoilers on them. *ADVICE*

Episode 1 - 'Oh Deer'
Episode 2 - 'Time Flies'
Episode 3 - 'Lights Out'
Thanks. My system can run anything, but I'd rather not install Silverlight.

watership

·feist· said:
Finally, after all of these years, it's almost here. Shame I won't be able to play it for some time still.

Great OP as usual, BruceLeeRoy.

Thanks. My system can run anything, but I'd rather not install Silverlight.

Ya, it's pretty horrible and eat syst- Wait. Why not?

mittelos

JdFoX187 said:
Did Twin Peaks ever get a fitting conclusion? I remember watching parts of it when I was a kid, and really liked it, but never finished. Then I heard ABC dicked it over tremendously. I don't want to get invested in it if there's no endgame.
Well, they actually wrapped up the main story arc about half-way through season 2. But they never really resolved the mythology. They got canned during season 2, and from what I understand, Lynch became less and less involved. The show sorta wandered around after they resolved the main arc.

Interestingly, the International version of the pilot episode contains an alternate ending that resolves the arc within the pilot itself. I didn't really care for how they pulled it off, but it was interesting to watch.

I'm so tired of "___ of ___" thread titles. This one works for me.

watership said:
Ya, it's pretty horrible and eat syst- Wait. Why not?
Doesn't seem to be particularly needed (for me). As much as possible, I'd like to keep apps, plug-ins, etc. to a minimum. If I came across enough compelling content I'd probably install it, but that hasn't been the case so far.

ghostofsparta said:
Alan Wake thread of Comfy Couch was so much more gaf!

This name is lame =/
Eh, that thread title would only please the posters who are more interested in memes than games. The thread title and OP is good. The butthurt PC crap should just stop if those people want to seem at all reasonable without ending up looking like bad parodies of themselves.

watership

·feist· said:
I'm so tired of "___ of ___" thread titles. This one works for me.

Doesn't seem to be particularly needed (for me). As much as possible, I'd like to keep apps, plug-ins, etc. to a minimum. If I came across enough compelling content I'd probably install it, but that hasn't been the case so far.

Ahh, Well that makes sense. I'm sure they'll be up somewhere else soon

commedieu

Banned
Chrange said:
commedieu? What is this..the GT vs Forza thread? :lol

nzgamer, gamepro, edge, are all getting gagged. Pretty professional sites, that hardly risk their credibility for posting stuff early imo.

Not like anyone ever did anything weird over a review before, like get fired, or sued...

Oh wait.

Just interesting, thats all. Will be great to see what the scores are later.

Top Bottom