• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

mujun

The detractors are out in full force. At least get your hands on the game and detract from there rather than grasping at straws could you :lol

Zinthar

brotkasten said:
With Halo 3.

Right...

Obviously you disbelieve -- but of course the major difference is that AW was always a PC game (well, up until last fall) and Halo 3 never was.

The only way it won't make it to PC is if it bombs and MS doesn't think it will sell well enough to make the port worthwhile.

x Maiku x

Zinthar said:
Right...

Obviously you disbelieve -- but of course the major difference is that AW was always a PC game (well, up until last fall) and Halo 3 never was.

The only way it won't make it to PC is if it bombs and MS doesn't think it will sell well enough to make the port worthwhile.

Microsoft doesn't even publish games on PC anymore. And rightfully so. The PC version was canceled, just as the would-be PS3 version was before it.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
wizword said:
reviews are up in a hour?
I am really interested in reviews for this one. I regularly don't need anybody to tell me what to buy, but StarCraft 2 is close, and with Crackdown 2 around the corner, maybe I should wait for a couple months on Alan Wake.

Deyleone

Wow, just watched the first 3 'Bright Falls' prequel videos. Now I'm really getting anxious to dive into that town.

Zinthar

x Maiku x said:
Microsoft doesn't even publish games on PC anymore. And rightfully so. The PC version was canceled, just as the would-be PS3 version was before it.

And obviously no one ever signs a deal where they have a different publisher handle the release on a different platform in exchange for a % of the sales revenue. You make it sound like they destroyed all of the x86 code that they originally built the engine on and then smashed all of their PC hardware.

You'd have to be an idiot to equate the PC version to a would-be PS3 version -- more than likely Remedy never even began porting the game to the PS3. The PC was the original development platform, and probably would require little effort to finish. The 360 version is a 540p port.

Likewise, this is completely different than Halo 3 -- which was built ground-up for the 360.

Additionally, Remedy addressed this issue in February, stating that they wouldn't rule out a PC version down the road. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/remedy-doesnt-rule-out-alan-wake-pc

witness

I want to gamefly it but I'm afraid, much like Dead Space, it will be far too scary for me and I'll just return it without completing it.

Teknoman

witness said:
I want to gamefly it but I'm afraid, much like Dead Space, it will be far too scary for me and I'll just return it without completing it.

Hopefully it'll be more Silent Hill atmospheric creepy and not jump creepy.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Mush said:
Hmm... this or Red Dead Redemption. Decisions decisions.

540P+4X MSAA+ unstable framerate and tearing

vs

720P 2X MSAA+stable framerate no tearing+dithering effect
(or 640P no AA + stable framerate no tearing)

your call

(assume RDR uses same engine as GTA4)\

I preordered both tho...

x Maiku x

Zinthar said:
Additionally, Remedy addressed this issue in February, stating that they wouldn't rule out a PC version down the road. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/remedy-doesnt-rule-out-alan-wake-pc

The quote on that page says it is up to Microsoft, not Remedy. Why would Microsoft suddenly change their stance on this? And you make it sound like porting between 360 and PC is like porting from 360 to PS3 or vice versa. A lot of 360 games could easily be ported to PC, but that doesn't mean they will. Realistically, why would Microsoft take that route? They've (thankfully) abandoned PC gaming and are focusing all of their effort on 360. Remedy is a small studio and they're already developing some DLC, possibly more and a sequel if it sells well. And you can bet all of the effort would go towards the sequel if that happens.

Mush

Jonsoncao said:

vs

your call

I preordered both tho...
I honestly don't give a fuck about a game's technical performance, I just play it for what it is. Probably why Shadow of the Colossus is my favourite game ever. :lol

Hopefully I'll have the cash for both, May is shaping up to a big month for everyone. Good times all round.

jedimike

The latest episode of Bright Falls is great! I like how they came back to the guy in the hotel with all the guns.

In other news, I really don't understand this whole PC version debate... it seems like fanboy posturing that always happens with big "exclusives." As if people are trying to convince each other that a PC version exists or doesn't exist to detract or attract would be buyers.

Try to convince whoever you want, but the fact remains the only place you will play Alan Wake on May 18th is on the Xbox 360.

You can be certain that MS paid Remedy a lot of money to develop and market this game and they are going to protect that investment as long as it makes financial sense to do so.

jedimike

Teknoman said:
Hopefully it'll be more Silent Hill atmospheric creepy and not jump creepy.

Did you watch the 3 webisodes? More psychological creepy... things that don't make sense, but there will definitely be some jumpy creepy (see end of episode 3).

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Jonsoncao said:

vs

your call

I preordered both tho...
this is a joke post right?

Teknoman

jedimike said:
Did you watch the 3 webisodes? More psychological creepy... things that don't make sense, but there will definitely be some jumpy creepy (see end of episode 3).

:lol the first episode deer crash got me. Especially with the effects around the movie itself happening on my monitor. Wtf at happy birthday though.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
daxter01 said:
this is a joke post right?

But informative. The game has tearing and at 540p? I find that a bit unacceptable. Game looks good, but won't be Day 1 (not graphics related). Still sad to know that a probable graphical showcase for the 360 is not so much these days.

Jonsoncao said:

vs

your call

I preordered both tho...

Where are you getting unstable frame rate and tearing from? all recent videos of Alan Wake have been very smooth and without tearing. The videos from months ago were terrible, but I thought the resolution conceit was to ensure great performance.

If you're basing it on old videos, again, it seems to have been fixed in later and final build.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Linkzg said:
Where are you getting unstable frame rate and tearing from? all recent videos of Alan Wake have been very smooth and without tearing. The videos from months ago were terrible, but I thought the resolution conceit was to ensure great performance.

If you're basing it on old videos, again, it seems to have been fixed in later and final build.

Aaaaaaaand this is good to hear =P. I've been out of the loop with this game. Just looks like an interesting concept.

burgerdog

Jonsoncao said:

vs

your call

I preordered both tho...

Woooooooooooow, I don't even.

Zinthar

x Maiku x said:
The quote on that page says it is up to Microsoft, not Remedy. Why would Microsoft suddenly change their stance on this? And you make it sound like porting between 360 and PC is like porting from 360 to PS3 or vice versa. A lot of 360 games could easily be ported to PC, but that doesn't mean they will. Realistically, why would Microsoft take that route? They've (thankfully) abandoned PC gaming and are focusing all of their effort on 360. Remedy is a small studio and they're already developing some DLC, possibly more and a sequel if it sells well. And you can bet all of the effort would go towards the sequel if that happens.

You completely missed the point of the post -- I was clearly stating the 360/PC porting is MUCH easier. But more to the point, the PC version was the lead platform of AW up until MS decided that they needed to consolidate their resources to get the 360 version out the door -- they likely wouldn't even need to put much effort into finishing it.

You really think AW would have turned out at 540p w/ heavy tearing if Remedy was developing w/ the 360 in mind the whole time and MS had given them enough time to properly optimize it for the platform? It looks significantly worse than the 360 version of a multi-platform title coming out on the same day.

Additionally, contrary to the implications of your post, Remedy is NOT owned by Microsoft, and they have a large PC fanbase from the Max Payne games, especially in Europe (where PC gaming is bigger than in the US). Remedy owns the IP to Alan Wake and it's doubtful that they've already signed on to make AW2 w/ Microsoft publishing. If AW sells really well, Remedy may have a lot of leverage to take the sequel to EA, ACTI, or another 3rd party publisher.

You sound like an ignorant 360 fanboy that would resent a 360 exclusive finding its way to other platforms. Microsoft wants to talk down the possibility of a PC version, even if they may have privately promised Remedy that they can do it later, because they don't want to cannibalize any sales of the 360 version and would prefer people to double-dip down the road. Rockstar denied the existence of a PC version of GTA:IV while they were already having one of their studios working on it b/c they wanted to maximize the 360/PS3 sales of the game.

Can everyone who wants to talk about the stupid ass resolution just go to the other thread? Seriously, we already had 4000 posts about that crap. Ugh.

Syriel

So I was just informed by my housemate that I yelped so loudly while finishing my review playthough of Alan Wake last night that he thought something was wrong with something around the house. So much so that he made a point of asking about it today.

I suppose that says something for the immersiveness of the game. Was playing with headphones and honestly don't remember uttering a single audible noise.

ShogunX

Zinthar said:
You completely missed the point of the post -- I was clearly stating the 360/PC porting is MUCH easier. But more to the point, the PC version was the lead platform of AW up until MS decided that they needed to consolidate their resources to get the 360 version out the door -- they likely wouldn't even need to put much effort into finishing it.

You really think AW would have turned out at 540p w/ heavy tearing if Remedy was developing w/ the 360 in mind the whole time and MS had given them enough time to properly optimize it for the platform? It looks significantly worse than the 360 version of a multi-platform title coming out on the same day.

Additionally, contrary to the implications of your post, Remedy is NOT owned by Microsoft, and they have a large PC fanbase from the Max Payne games, especially in Europe (where PC gaming is bigger than in the US). Remedy owns the IP to Alan Wake and it's doubtful that they've already signed on to make AW2 w/ Microsoft publishing. If AW sells really well, Remedy may have a lot of leverage to take the sequel to EA, ACTI, or another 3rd party publisher.

You sound like an ignorant 360 fanboy that would resent a 360 exclusive finding its way to other platforms. Microsoft wants to talk down the possibility of a PC version, even if they may have privately promised Remedy that they can do it later, because they don't want to cannibalize any sales of the 360 version and would prefer people to double-dip down the road. Rockstar denied the existence of a PC version of GTA:IV while they were already having one of their studios working on it b/c they wanted to maximize the 360/PS3 sales of the game.

Microsoft don't own Epic Games nor the Gears of War IP yet they managed to keep Gears 2 and more than likely Gears 3 as 360 only. As for saying Alan Wake looks worse then RDR you really should see the game in motion first hand. The game looks stunning.

Teknoman said:
:lol the first episode deer crash got me. Especially with the effects around the movie itself happening on my monitor. Wtf at happy birthday though.

Everything is very "Lynch-ean" as "they'd" say. Look up David Lynch/Twin Peaks if you don't get the reference (I'm sure you do!) The deer crash, while pertinent heavily to the plot, was comedic in a dark way similar to many of Lynchs' most memorable scenes.

WTF, 4 games in 2 weeks is madness. How can I even survive this onslaught?

Zinthar

Shogun PaiN said:
Microsoft don't own Epic Games nor the Gears of War IP yet they managed to keep Gears 2 and more than likely Gears 3 as 360 only. As for saying Alan Wake looks worse then RDR you really should see the game in motion first hand. The game looks stunning.

Gears 2 didn't come to PC b/c Gears 1 sold poorly on the PC. Exclusive console shooters tend to fare poorly on PC b/c of the immense competition on the platform. Gears, like Halo, is also designed in a way that's particularly well-suited to console gaming (namely, you move slowly in both games). Far different than shooters like Modern Warfare 1/2 & Battlefield: Bad Company, which are console shooters designed more in the vein of the way PC FPS have always been made (plus both CoD & Battlefield are established franchises originating on PC).

There are also loads of examples to the contrary of Epic/Gears: Capcom brought over DMC4 & RE5; EA, Activision, & Rockstar bring almost all of their major console games to PC w/ surprisingly great ports, etc. If RDR sells well, you can certainly bet on a PC version down the road. Also, MS definitely does own exclusive publishing rights to Gears 1-3, so Epic doesn't have much to bargain with even if they did want a PC version (which they probably don't b/c, again, the first one sold poorly).

AW seems to be quite unique and likely would sell well on the PC.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Jonsoncao said:

vs

your call

I preordered both tho...

Uh....

Every time I think I've seen the worst this community has to offer, someone comes along and lowers the bar.

x Maiku x

Zinthar said:

I never implied Remedy is owned by MS. In the link you provided, Remedy specifically states that the fate of the PC version is in the hands of Microsoft. About the ease of porting, yes, I understood what you were saying. MS could've ported Fable 2, Halo 3, Gears 2, etc. easily but chose to completely abandon that platform. Flight simulator studio shut down, Ensemble studios shut down, etc. The Xbox division has more say than ever now. Its about business and its about Microsoft's image, too. They want to improve both. Very simple.

Back to the actual topic at hand, why isn't Bright Falls chapter 3 up on Live yet? :(

LovingSteam said:
Can everyone who wants to talk about the stupid ass resolution just go to the other thread? Seriously, we already had 4000 posts about that crap. Ugh.

It's already been gone over a billion times that anyone can talk about it in any thread. If you're unable to skim past it to discuss what you really want to discuss then it seems like you care about it more than they do. If it bothers you so much.

I'm getting the game Day 1, couldn't care less about technical shortcomings. But what do I care what people discuss? It's not going to "scare" me "off" "the game".

Hey jr keep your shit in the other thread. We had about a million threads about it since Microsoft announced that it was xbox only.

ITT: We are happy Alan Wake is a game and not a techdemo.

Syriel said:
So I was just informed by my housemate that I yelped so loudly while finishing my review playthough of Alan Wake last night that he thought something was wrong with something around the house. So much so that he made a point of asking about it today.

I suppose that says something for the immersiveness of the game. Was playing with headphones and honestly don't remember uttering a single audible noise.

Kick ass. Man I cant wait

Top Bottom