• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

imtehman said:
holy fuking shit this game is scaring the crap out of me and i'm still on Episode 1

If you're playing this late a night with 5.1 surround sound and you feel nothing as you're playing this, man kudos to you.

signed

Truant

The only 'scary' parts of this game are the big forest areas where you're free to explore a bit, but as soon as you go off the path, the weather changes and enemies start appearing at random. Creepy stuff.

Hammer24

Banned
Truant said:
The only 'scary' parts of this game are the big forest areas where you're free to explore a bit, but as soon as you go off the path, the weather changes and enemies start appearing at random. Creepy stuff.

But in the wood parts you basically know whats coming. I personally found the
garden labyrint after hartmans clinic
much creepier. So many nooks and crannies where some taken can hide. And you hear the footsteps, but can´t see shit...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
ADORED all the little Max Payne references at the start of Chapter 2. God I still wish Remedy were on the job for Payne 3 with this new engine.

soco

holy shit. there's a song in the game by a girl who i met at a concert (not hers). i've since gone to a few of her shows. that's really weird to have heard that.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Brandon F said:
ADORED all the little Max Payne references at the start of Chapter 2. God I still wish Remedy were on the job for Payne 3 with this new engine.

Yea the Max Payne manuscripts (voiced by the Max Payne voice actor) were so awesome.

Prine

Banned
imtehman said:
holy fuking shit this game is scaring the crap out of me and i'm still on Episode 1

If you're playing this late a night with 5.1 surround sound and you feel nothing as you're playing this, man kudos to you.

:D I was trying to make a point about this with others. The game becomes something else with the 'right' setup. Violent winds, howling trees, heavy breathing in random moments and lots of weird graffiti makes for a disturbing experience.

I adore the way Remedy make sure you can see your goal from miles away, and then the feeling of dread overwhelms you as you know you have to go through the woods to get there. Cannot wait till the sun goes down today, I want to head back to Brightfalls.

Brandon F said:

Did you watch the Brightfalls episodes like i said???

Everyone go watch the entire 6 episodes now if you havent. They're only 4-5 minutes each, shouldn't be too much hassle to watch. Also, key characters make an appearance which follow through to the game.

Brandon F said:
Did anyone see the Max Payne actor at the end of the "david letterman" sort of show on the tv where Alan Wake is interviewed? The tv host asks him to "do the face again" and he makes the Max Payne face what they used on the 3D model in the first game :lol

derFeef

ResidentDante said:
Did anyone see the Max Payne actor at the end of the "david letterman" sort of show on the tv where Alan Wake is interviewed? The tv host asks him to "do the face again" and he makes the Max Payne face what they used on the 3D model in the first game :lol
Heh, yeah, that is Sam Lake. They released a shorter version of that video some time ago on yutub.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Brandon F said:

yeah I hope Rockstar do the right thing and drop R* Vancouver's Max Payne 3 then hire Remedy again to make the sequel for Max.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
ResidentDante said:

Like derFeef said, that's Sam Lake. He's the head writer on Alan Wake and the older Max Payne-games (?).

derFeef

itsinmyveins said:
Like derFeef said, that's Sam Lake. He's the head writer on Alan Wake and the older Max Payne-games (?).
He is. If you have the LCE watch the making-of's. He is a pretty awesome guy I have to say.

Cant0na said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeSUvoY2oUk - no spoilers

that song at the end of chapter 4 was sooooo sick. chap 4 is definitely the highlight of the game
You have to listen to the text ;) Did you play the whole game already? I found EP 3 and 5 to be pretty epic.

Truant

Does the guy from Bright Falls make an appearance in the game? Would be cool to see him
as some boss enemy or something

Prine

Banned
Are there 6 episodes in total? (the game)

Truant said:
Does the guy from Bright Falls make an appearance in the game? Would be cool to see him
as some boss enemy or something

not yet, im on ep 4 atm

Cant0na

Banned
derFeef said:
You have to listen to the text ;) Did you play the whole game already? I found EP 3 and 5 to be pretty epic.

nah not yet. half way through 5. but i dont know how they're gonna top the
stage fight and the 2 crazy anderson brothers
. also the story is starting to clear up after the scenes in chap 4

if it gets even better...damn

Prine

Banned
Peff said:
Yes, and
some are a bit longer than others. From longest to shortest
1x05=1x03>1x06>1x04>1x02>1x01

Awesome thanks :D

Looks like i got another 10 hours ahead of me (going by my progress so far).

itsinmyveins

So what are you guys hoping or expecting to see in the upcoming DLC?

– Nightingale, before this whole ordeal. What led him to the town and what happened to his partner, and how is that connected to Bright Falls? Maybe you could play as either Nightingale or his partner.

– Thomas Zane. Obviously this would take place during the seventies but since time stands still in rural USA that shouldn't be that much of a problem, if the setting is limited.

– If they want to keep it even more simple they could do a short adventure starring someone from the town and their take on all that happens during the days that Alan Wake runs around in the woods fighting shadows.

Either of those would definitely work fine for me.

snap0212

Am I the only one who was reminded of
Heavy Rain
at the beginning of Chapter 2? Have to go to work in a couple of hours but after that I'll finish the third chapter... awesome stuff.

Cardigan

op_ivy said:
i love the subtle nods to twin peaks...

- the sheriff receptionist VA is a dead ringer for lucy
- paraphrased from a manuscript page "agent nightengale didnt like trees or coffee" (both loved by the agent in twin peaks)

anyone else spot more?
"Damn Good Cup Of Coffee!" Achievement
Lamp Lady - Very similar to Log Lady in Twin Peaks

FrankT

Played through the first chapter last night. Woo, oozes with atmosphere and the lighting. Just going down to the lake and checking out all the vistas=awesome. Gameplay is solid enough so far although I'm not sure if I'm too big on the mechanic of reloading ammo and light all the time at the same time. I suppose it keeps more of the on your feet kind of feel rather than just easy street however. I noticed some tearing, but way less than I had the impression of seeing coming into this. Story has me hooked so far to be sure.

itsinmyveins

There were only a few times when I actually noticed any tearing, and that was pretty much always during the day. At one point the tearing got quite bad too. During the night though, when you're fighting your way through the woods, the game looks amazing.

Cant0na

Banned
"sam do that face again before we go" :lol

btw, Alex casey = max payne?
"grumpy cop, had a good run. had to move on from him. good riddance"

Only was able to finish the first episode on hard last night... and first things first. There is indeed tearing.. .BUT really it all seemed really minor and in the grand scheme of things it barely was noticable unless I sat there extremely looking for it.

Now on to the good. HOLY SHIT I jumped a few times in episode one. Not only that, I mut have said "oh shit about 3 times" As a matter of fact during the scene were
the tractor comes to life, I was so freaked out and panicky that I totally missed that the locked door was now open and died :lol

The game oozes atmosphere... also a Bright Falls question... remember when Jake is driving down the road in episode one, he sees
that guy in a jump suit carrying the dead deer head... Was that fucking STUCKY!!!!!!
I swear that was him thinking back on it.

Overall, I know its early but episode one has totally lived up to what I expected for Alan Wake and I can only hope the remaining episodes do the same! The game is beautiful in motion. Loving it so far!

Prine

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
The game oozes atmosphere... also a Bright Falls question... remember when Jake is driving down the road in episode one, he sees
that guy in a jump suit carrying the dead deer head... Was that fucking STUCKY!!!!!!
I swear that was him thinking back on it.

Cant believe i missed that, good spot!

kodt

Banned
So this game is actually living up to the hype for me. The graphics are great and environments are great, lots of atmosphere. The controls are very smooth and responsive, the combat is intense and satisfying (hard mode).

So far I am really enjoying it... who knows how long it will be before I get to RDR.

itsinmyveins

One thing about the game: While it was indeed creepy at some points I was never really scared. There was maybe one time I jumped a bit, but that's about it. I certainly don't view Alan Wake as a survival horror game, but rather an atmospheric action game.

Got my Collector's Edition Guide today, and it's pretty sweet. The guide book itself is very nice, and written like a scrapbook/novel. Every line of dialog seems to be in it, and it describes everything that happens in the game. Basically you could read this guide as a regular novel instead of playing the game, but the guide doesn't have the ending so that would be pretty pointless.

The making of book, Alan Wake Illuminated, is pretty nice as well. Goes through Remedy's history and the development process of Alan Wake. It seems that it's basically the commentary track from the game written in text, plus plenty of artwork.

itsinmyveins said:
One thing about the game: While it was indeed creepy at some points I was never really scared. There was maybe one time I jumped a bit, but that's about it. I certainly don't view Alan Wake as a survival horror game, but rather an atmospheric action game.
Yeah, it's more deeply engrossing and tense than it is scary. There were a few jump scares that put me on edge, and a few organic moments that were more frightening still (and these usually happened when the game didn't announce enemies with slow-motion), but on the whole it isn't really a 'horror' game, and certainly not 'survival' horror, since you're inundated with supplies most of the time.

But the mood and setting truly are special.

derFeef

slasher_thrasher21 said:
So you think it was him then!? :D It hit me like a deer in headlights the moment I saw him last night... I was like HOLY SHIT!
Maybe, but he is missing the logo on his back. Glad you enjoy it!

derFeef said:
Maybe, but he is missing the logo on his back. Glad you enjoy it!

True, but it just seems to perfect aside from that. ( I couldn't watch the show here at work to verify him looking exactly like it but still but was going from memory.) :D

I've been saying this a few times. But the use of music in this game, especially in Episode 4 and 5 during combat is amazing.

Episode 4 being one of the best gaming moments I've had in years.

Technosteve said:
to think they went from making that lvl in max payne 1 where you walking on a red line inside the belly of your dead wife to alan wake. progress =D
I am pretty sure that was obvious when they hit their peak with Max Payne 2.
Teknoman said:
EDIT: Episode 2's starting manuscripts... is that who it think it is? Because it really sounds like him.
sounds like they were directly taken from Max Payne 2
Yeah I am pretty sure its an incredibly obvious reference.
I am pretty sure all the titles of the books that Alan wrote are also references to max payne. Kind of funny since rockstar is still going to make MP3

eXistor

That's one thing I'm ever so slightly disappointed in, the game isn't scary at all. To be honest I never even felt tense playing it. It oozes atmosphere though which is more important to me.

itsinmyveins

eXistor said:
That's one thing I'm ever so slightly disappointed in, the game isn't scary at all. To be honest I never even felt tense playing it. It oozes atmosphere though which is more important to me.

I'm glad that it wasn't scarier than this. I don't particulary enjoy being frightened by games so Alan Wake is right up my alley in terms of horror/atmosphere.

eXistor said:

Well and again thats a personal matter. I have been pretty on edge throughout episode one. Maybe I'll get used to it in the later episodes, but I definetly jumped and got creeped out throughout episode 1.

Its interesting to see how different people react though.

Holy shit this is quickly turning into my favorite game ever. I'm glad I did a media blackout and ignored everything for the past few months, including the reviews! Remedy just set the new bar for atmosphere.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well and again thats a personal matter. I have been pretty on edge throughout episode one. Maybe I'll get used to it in the later episodes, but I definetly jumped and got creeped out throughout episode 1.
Kind of hard for a game to be scary when the enemies can't even touch you.

Lostconfused said:
Kind of hard for a game to be scary when the enemies can't even touch you.

Well again, wouldn't that be a personal experience sorta thing. I'm playing on hard and I have been "touched" alot. Always barely surviving actually, but living never the less! Its exhilirating actually.

Top Bottom