• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

ACE 1991

Bullshit. It's 6pm, I've paid for release date delivery and UPS tracking says "scheduled delivery date 5/18" and no package. Who do i bitch to to get some sort of shipping refund?

derFeef

Technosteve said:
the aliasing is killing me =( maybe i should play this on a big tv but on my lcd monitor all i can see are jaggies =(
Thats weird. I am playing on a LCD as well and I found it to be one of the 360 games that has less aliasing. Compared to Reach Beta or Forza 3 this is really smooth at night time. But daytime is sometimes full of aliasing, I agree.

What really helps when playing console games on a LCD is sitting back a bit more. Do not play this like a highres antialiased pc game. And Alan Wake benefits from a higher viewing angle as well as the whole image is just gorgeous.

derFeef

metareferential said:
Wait, wait.

Ok, Alan Wake is really smooth at times, but Reach and Forza are really, really far from being jaggy, c'mon.
I am really honest, but maybe my mind is tricking me now.

Natural

razorman said:
Ok, maybe it was just me but the
battle during the rock concert with the music playing and the relentless onslaught of taken
in episode 4 was possibly the most awesome gaming setpiece this generation. I loved it!

Yeah that's one of my favourite sections too so far.

Currently at the beginning of Chapter 5, and i'm really liking it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
My LE edition from Amazon is reading some weird data.

Says it left Whitestown IN US yesterday but hasnt yet arrived in my area like every other package i have coming today. Usually it says arrived and is out for delivery. Its still reading as expected today but i still find this odd.

ACE 1991 said:
Bullshit. It's 6pm, I've paid for release date delivery and UPS tracking says "scheduled delivery date 5/18" and no package. Who do i bitch to to get some sort of shipping refund?

They deliver until like 9pm in my area. And somehow, I'm always, always last package of the day.

ACE 1991

LocoMrPollock said:
They deliver until like 9pm in my area. And somehow, I'm always, always last package of the day.

alright, ill wait it out. Someone's getting a beat down if I don't receive it tonight however.

Day time it's jag fest but dusk to dawn the lighting engine hides the jaggies very well. Screen tearing is also annoying but that's when i turn real fast. God this would be so glorious on my PC =( which i built to play this game =(.

Oh yeah the story is pretty captivating Sam Lake did a good job.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So, what is the consensus with difficulty? Is normal way too easy like in Batman, or does it offer a decent challenge? I don't want things to be too crazy hard... but I don't want a cakewalk either.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The LE packaging is incredible. I've seen the pics previously, but the actual case is beyond what I expected in terms of quality.

Has it been mentioned whether it is wise to read the included LE novel pre-game or post-game completion?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Brandon F said:
The LE packaging is incredible. I've seen the pics previously, but the actual case is beyond what I expected in terms of quality.

Has it been mentioned whether it is wise to read the included LE novel pre-game or post-game completion?

After you beat the game. Yes the LE case is great. Nice little touch of the magnet keeping it closed :D

imtehman

Banned
just picked this and red dead redemption up. Gonna wait til later tonight when its darker to play. Gonna get some coffee and pull an all nighter on this one

TheFreshPrince

Just beat Chapter 1.

I've noticed occasionally very low-res scenes...you know, the blocks/pixels everywhere. It's in gameplay and cutscenes. Looks like a filter of squares over the game!

This isn't my TV right? The game just isn't always the greatest looking, correct?

ACE 1991

Yeah, looks like I'm not getting Alan Wake today... I'm so pissed, I've been eagerly anticipating this one. Release date delivery my ass.

ACE 1991 said:
Yeah, looks like I'm not getting Alan Wake today... I'm so pissed, I've been eagerly anticipating this one. Release date delivery my ass.

You said the scheduled delivery is today, but what is the latest update on the tracking number? Is it "out for delivery" or "on truck for delivery?" Either way, it's Fedex/UPS's issue, not Amazon's.

NIGHT- said:
Can I start Nightmare from the get go, or do I have to finish it first?

Gotta finish first.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
FlyinJ said:
So, what is the consensus with difficulty? Is normal way too easy like in Batman, or does it offer a decent challenge? I don't want things to be too crazy hard... but I don't want a cakewalk either.
I think normal is too easy. The encounters are kind of boring. Camera pan-out in slow motion, I shine my light on them, they die in 2 hits. I will definitely replay on hard or harder on subsequent plays.

~Kinggi~

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
Same problem here. Latest tracking info puts it in another state. Something weird happened.

Y2Kev said:
I think normal is too easy. The encounters are kind of boring. Camera pan-out in slow motion, I shine my light on them, they die in 2 hits. I will definitely replay on hard or harder on subsequent plays.
Seriously, why would you play this game on Normal. It's too easy on Hard.

Can't believe they don't let you play on Nightmare from the start.

Or turn off the goddamn HUD.

Hawk269

After playing even more of the game, finally finishing episode 1, I have to say that the rez definately has an impact, but at the same time at times, visually, the game is just stunning. I think what takes away a bit is the blurriness in many scenes of the game, especially the outline of alan himself is a bit blurry against the backround.

With all that said, it is one of the more visually pleasing games I have played in a while. Even with the lower rez, what they did with atmostphere and narrative is great. Yeah, tearing is visible but I am so into what is happening that I have hardly notice it.

It took me 2.5 hours to beat the first episode, yeah it took a while, but I looked everywhere and just really took my time absorbing the enviroment and looking for all the hidden items. Well..onto EP2 b4 dinner!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
FlyinJ said:

Like all Remedy games the difficulty is dynamic, the better you do the harder it gets. The difference between the 2 difficulties comes down to how tense you want the combat to get.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Encountered a really weird glitch. Its beginning of chapter 2 i think it was.

When rusty is first attacked and you go in the building to investigate the whole building is textureless inside and everything thats suppose to be in the building is missing. Very weird!

Hixx

Costanza said:
Episode 2 was fucking awesome.

By far the worst episode in the game imo, dragged and was boring... it really put me off.

3,4,5 have been fucking superb though.

Don't get the hate for Barry either, he can be hilarious sometimes. 'But he ruins the mood and atmosphere' blah blah blah, being in a dreary, miserable story you need some comic relief. And as a character, he does it well imo.

I'm just happy they started mixing the environments up from Episode 3 on, 4-5 hours in that bloody forest was starting to get tedious!

Hawk269 said:
It took me 2.5 hours to beat the first episode, yeah it took a while, but I looked everywhere and just really took my time absorbing the enviroment and looking for all the hidden items. Well..onto EP2 b4 dinner!

I feel like I'm going to blast through the game first time through. I'm too creeped out and disoriented to really explore and I really love the story so I just want to see what happens next. I'll do a Hard or Nightmare run next and really go to town on the thing.

charsace

Got the game, but won't be able to play until tomorrow. Best special edition since Marc Ecko's Getting Up out of the SE I have purchased.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Shake Appeal said:
Or turn off the goddamn HUD.
Given the type of game this is, I find this to be almost an inexcusable oversight. It's simply incredible that Remedy did not realize that large text on the screen might be distracting.

Graphics are outstanding, story is great fun, lip syncing hasn't bothered me, and I'm playing on hard and the gameplay is just a blast so far.

9/10 for me thus far, could see it falling to an 8 if shit gets annoying.

Great great game so far though. A breath of fresh air.

FrankT

Y2Kev said:
Given the type of game this is, I find this to be almost an inexcusable oversight. It's simply incredible that Remedy did not realize that large text on the screen might be distracting.

I think it is probably is one of those things they should and probably could think about patching in as optional asap. One of the major issues I've seen brought up. Anyhow should be starting this up tonight.

mittelos

Awwww yeah! Finally off work, picked up AW and RDR. Will be playing AW first- right after kids and wife in bed, smoke a bowl, watch lost, might as well get another bowl or two, and then it's lights off, headphones on, AW time.

So I see Amazon dropped the price, but it still states that you get a 10 dollar gift card, does anyone know if that is true, because if it is, I'm ordering right away.

Edit: Sweet, it looks like I do, order placed. :D

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
holy shit, game is awesome. just finished episode 1 (~ 2 hours) and i'm digging the story, presentation, and especially the atmosphere. highly recommended

~Kinggi~

Banned
CrazedArabMan said:
So I see Amazon dropped the price, but it still states that you get a 10 dollar gift card, does anyone know if that is true, because if it is, I'm ordering right away.

Edit: Sweet, it looks like I do, order placed. :D
Gotta say this is a great way to piss off all the people that preordered!

Prine

Banned
FlyinJ said:

Hard is normal. Do not make the mistake and play it on normal, the game will be a cakewalk and the tension will be lost.

I just beat ep3, and it was a hard and rewarding chapter. These episodes are so juicy, the pacing is fantastic they keep throwing new scenarios your way. I LOVE the woods, each is drastically different from the last, posts prior to me playing the game led me to believe it was all cut and paste. This is not the case, they are varied and long, littered with lots of interesting scenarios. Nothing is the same, again reminds me of RE4. 6 years of work and is shows!

Feels like i've been through an ordeal though, this is how manage a journey, like i've traversed up mt everest an back.

Turning out to be one of the best games i've played this gen. On to ep 4!

~Kinggi~ said:

Oh well, I was gonna wait for it to drop even more, but I'll bite at this price, plus the 10 dollars along with the 20 from red dead mean I get 30 off of crackdown 2 when it comes out. :D

Yopis

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Just got my LCE copy and my god, I just can't process the fact that I'm holding one of my most anticipated games of all time, and five years in the making. Its crazy to think that about a year after working at my current job, this game was announced and here I am still at the same job 6 years later and Alan Wake finally here. :D :D :D

Now just gotta wait till the sun goes down, the gf comes over, the lights go out, the drinks start flowing, and Alan Wake finally fucking begins!!!!!!

That's what it's all about

Du2andal

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:

I just double checked my email from amazon and it says:

Our Pre-order Price Guarantee covers one or more item(s) in this order. If
the Amazon.com price decreases between the time you place your order and
the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price.

It didn't get deducted automatically so I guess I will have to shoot them an email...

i should of bought the limited edition the music at the end of an episode fits the episode so well. damn it i spent 5 hours and i'm only got to episode 3. i can't help it i just wonder off looking for thermoses . fuck if remedy continues the quality with the dlc i am going to be broke and im going to need a bigger hd =D

burgerdog

Oh my god, this game is fucking fantastic. I'm loving the atmosphere, gameplay, story, and graphics. Playing it in hard mode and I've died three times or so and I'm up to episode 3. Seems like it was a wise decision, difficulty is right up my alley. The game also looks damn amazing in motion, I'm not seeing very many jaggies on my 50" plasma.

Top Bottom