• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Cardigan

Loving the game so far, just beat Episode 2. I gotta call it quits for now, this game makes me way too tense!
I knew something was wrong with Rose's voice the second I heard her making that phone call

Prine

Banned
I think i've clocked about 10 hrs. I just started ep4.

Im not running though, and i never use the sprint, maybe if i have to escape taken when i have no bullets.

Alan jogs as fast as Drake, thats all you need imo. They should only allow you to sprint if the taken are around, other than that scrap it (to people complaining he can only run for a few seconds, like he's supposed to be an athlete).

Shake Appeal said:
Seriously, why would you play this game on Normal. It's too easy on Hard.

Can't believe they don't let you play on Nightmare from the start.

Or turn off the goddamn HUD.

I died like two or three times already. Not really that easy.

adelante

derFeef said:
I am too scared to wander off, espacially on nightmare. But I need those pages! :lol
If everything is calm and then you decide to explore a bit - suddenly the forest starts to rage and 4 taken are coming out of the bushes. "Oh god"
Fuck...tell me bout it. As if playing on Hard isn't challenging enough, I get freakin chills whenever the whole damn forest start throwing tantrums because I wandered off! I remember frantically searching through the woods for collectibles and when I've had enough of running into one group of Taken after another, I actually turned to the moon and RAGED! (violent rustling trees was a nice accompanying effect heh) Needless to say, any enemies that crossed my path later was met with unbridled anger...I was a writer that went into a murderous frenzy in the name of flasks and loose sheets of paper. :lol

And I love how the enemies creep up on you seconds before the music kicks in. The tension and atmosphere in this game is such an amazing experience...damn.

ACE 1991

mittelos said:
Awwww yeah! Finally off work, picked up AW and RDR. Will be playing AW first- right after kids and wife in bed, smoke a bowl, watch lost, might as well get another bowl or two, and then it's lights off, headphones on, AW time.

You should just front load your smoking to lost, it may make it more comprehensible.

to think they went from making that lvl in max payne 1 where you walking on a red line inside the belly of your dead wife to alan wake. progress =D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Alan runs out of breath in 2 seconds. Needs to stop writing and eating cheeseburgers and get to the gym.

adelante

I cant be the only one who gets easily spooked at the sight of a fern/leaf silhouette in the distance thinking it's one of the Taken dudes :lol

Kusagari

Y2Kev said:
Alan runs out of breath in 2 seconds. Needs to stop writing and eating cheeseburgers and get to the gym.

He's a writer who probably barely exercises. I'm glad that he's a real 'everyman' unlike Nathan 'I can jump 500 feet gaps' Drake.

adelante

Kusagari said:
He's a writer who probably barely exercises. I'm glad that he's a real 'everyman' unlike Nathan 'I can jump 500 feet gaps' Drake.
He's a writer who's had experience at the shooting range though...wait, is that why there's a
gun trophy cup in Alan's study room (city flashback sequence)?

~Kinggi~

Banned
So i never got my fucking copy today. Release Date delivery has failed me.

Least I got the 2 other releases today. 2 outta 3 isnt horrible. But i was looking forward to Alan Wake the most.

fuckers.

Anyone else get the Making-Of book? Reminds me a lot of the half life 'Raising the Bar' book i got. Pretty sweet i must say.

dralla

played till chapter 6, quick thoughts. too much shooting, the shooting isn't bad but it's not deep enough to carry the game. as a result it's an action game, not a thriller. voice acting is well done, looks really good. music is good. story is..decent. the manuscript story 'mechanic' is really awesome. basically, I enjoy it but can't help but feel a little disappointed because the potential is there for so much more.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i love the subtle nods to twin peaks...

- the sheriff receptionist VA is a dead ringer for lucy
- paraphrased from a manuscript page "agent nightengale didnt like trees or coffee" (both loved by the agent in twin peaks)

anyone else spot more?

demonicmurry

Neo Member
Turned on a radio in an abandoned cabin and a silhouette of a Taken just passed by the window outside. I had to go out to investigate and a bird knocked over a trash can. Totally rocked my nerves! :lol

Instro

Picked up my copy today, not very far into the first episode, but so far its pretty awesome. Atmosphere is fantastic, I can't wait to play some more.

Hawk269

demonicmurry said:
Turned on a radio in an abandoned cabin and a silhouette of a Taken just passed by the window outside. I had to go out to investigate and a bird knocked over a trash can. Totally rocked my nerves! :lol

lol..same happened to me...was listening to the radio, turned and someone walked by the window...freaked me out a bit. Love this type of stuff.

Tokubetsu

The revolver sounds so beefy! I love how the checkpoints are setup. It really is just running from light shower to light shower.

Makes exploration rough since I'm a pussy. "Do I venture out for supplies?!?! I can't! The Darkness!"

Loving this so far. Game looks incredible, i don't care if its Sub-HD, the atmosphere is second to none.

I'm actually kinda glad the compass is always on the screen, as the forest looks so real and dense, I find myself getting disoriented searching for collectibles.

My biggest disappointment are the static "Episode Completed" screen at the end of each episode. It wouldn't be a big deal if the songs they chose weren't so awesome. I can see many players skipping them.

The insignificance of my disappointment really shows how much i'm enjoying the game.

Tokubetsu

betweenthewheels said:
Loving this so far. Game looks incredible, i don't care if its Sub-HD, the atmosphere is second to none.

I'm actually kinda glad the compass is always on the screen, as the forest looks so real and dense, I find myself getting disoriented searching for collectibles.

My biggest disappointment are the static "Episode Completed" screen at the end of each episode. It wouldn't be a big deal if the songs they chose weren't so awesome. I can see many players skipping them.

The insignificance of my disappointment really shows how much i'm enjoying the game.

I would have liked some "fake" credits as well, even if they'd be the same for each episode you know?

Nothing like booking it to another light shower...only to have the bulb go out or have it fail as soon as you get there forcing you to run further or play the generator minigame!

cabottemp

Banned
i can't believe i'm getting creeped out by this fucking game.

it helps that i'm in the dark and using my ax720's, but holy fuck. i had to take a break :lol :lol

love all the "stuff" in the game, the night spring tv shows, the random wildlife/area facts and the radio sequences are absolutely awesome. Not to mention the voice acting by the townsfolk is great as well.

stupei

Costanza said:
The fuck? They're randomized?

That's really, really weird.

edit: No, I meant episode.

That's the song that ends the second episode.

From Poe's album that was created to go along with her brother's book, House of Leaves. You know, the story about an essay that almost seems to come to life, telling the history of a documentary film no one is sure exists, detailing a house with appearing and disappearing hallways. Slightly relevant to Alan Wake.

The song from the end of episode one is from
Blue Velvet.

Costanza

Banned
stupei said:
That's the song that ends the second episode.

From Poe's album that was created to go along with her brother's book, House of Leaves. You know, the story about an essay that almost seems to come to life, telling the history of a documentary film no one is sure exists, detailing a house with appearing and disappearing hallways. Slightly relevant to Alan Wake.

The song from the end of episode one is from
Blue Velvet.
It gave me the Poe song after Ch 1 and the Roy Orbison one at Ch 2.

Really weird.

stupei

Costanza said:

Really weird.

That's totally bizarre. Pretty sure everyone in the thread before was saying they got Poe at the end of episode 2 as well.
Specifically referencing the phone and all.

I will say: hearing the Poe made me so damn happy, especially since a moment in the game earlier had made me think of a specific scene from House of Leaves where Johnny starts to believe that spilled ink on the floor is a living darkness come to get him.

cabottemp

Banned
Costanza said:

Really weird.

that is strange.

in any case, i'm really happy with the game even only with just having played one chapter. I had zero expectations for it and didn't follow it whatsoever, the only reason I picked it up was because weekend confirmed and giantbomb were praising it. glad i did, good stuff.

RavenHawk said:
I got Roy Orbison at the end of episode 1. :D
I did too, and I was tripping out wondering if that really was Roy...

Fucking Orbison and Nilsson, can't get more awesome than that.

I haven't even bought Red Dead yet and have SMG2 and ModNation Racers coming to me next week.

2010 hasn't let up yet, what an awesome year for gaming.

Teknoman

polyh3dron said:
Wow, this game is BEAUTIFUL. Like many games, screenshots do not do it justice.

Agreed. All that stuff about daytime graphics not being as good doesnt seem to be an issue either. The sounds are well done, and the game is really tense on hard difficulty. I'm liking the whole TV show episode style of it as well.

EDIT: Episode 2's starting manuscripts... is that who it think it is? Because it really sounds like him.
sounds like they were directly taken from Max Payne 2

Hammer24

Banned
I´m loving this game to bits. Every Ep has some awesome setpieces. Only from yesterday:
- getting out of
Hartmans Clinic and through the labyrint was so feaking tense
- and then the
farm, with all the fireworks
, OMG!
This game is just a breath of fresh air, so different from everything else on the market right now.

imtehman

Banned
holy fuking shit this game is scaring the crap out of me and i'm still on Episode 1

If you're playing this late a night with 5.1 surround sound and you feel nothing as you're playing this, man kudos to you.

Top Bottom