• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

mintylurb

Amazon shipped my copy out yesterday so hopefully I'll have it in a few days. Now..I wonder if I should start RDR now or wait until I finish AW..decision..decision..

derFeef said:
So.. ghosts are not scary?
Or are you talking about the game being too easy?
Maybe I'll revise my opinion after playing on nightmare but for now this game isn't scary because it doesn't build tension. Partly because yes the enemies almost never jump out at you and even if they suddenly appear behind Alan the camera jumps further out to show that they are coming and also yes because its rather easy on normal.

I guess its kind of similar to how people don't think that Dead Space or Resident Evil 4 are really that scary. To be honest Dead Space freaked me out more than Alan Wake does right now.

itsinmyveins said:
I'm glad that it wasn't scarier than this. I don't particulary enjoy being frightened by games so Alan Wake is right up my alley in terms of horror/atmosphere.
Which leads me to agreeing with the above quote. I put of playing DS for months because I found that the game made me to tense/scared. While I expect to make it through Alan Wake in a day and a half maybe. Just finished chapters 1 and 2 without any trouble.

Cardigan

Lostconfused said:
Maybe I'll revise my opinion after playing on nightmare but for now this game isn't scary because it doesn't build tension. Partly because yes the enemies almost never jump out at you and even if they suddenly appear behind Alan the camera jumps further out to show that they are coming and also yes because its rather easy on normal.

I guess its kind of similar to how people don't think that Dead Space or Resident Evil 4 are really that scary. To be honest Dead Space freaked me out more than Alan Wake does right now.
People think that Dead Space isn't scary? I had to play that game only in the day because it freaked me out so much. Then again, maybe I'm easily scared (although I have no problem watching horror movies).

Lostconfused said:

Well and that makes sense if something jumping out at you is the one of the sole things that scares you. For me scares come from sudden moments, tension, and atmosphere. Which the game has in spades. I get freaked out just when the forest starts getting dark and the wind starts roaring! *shudders*

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well and that makes sense if something jumping out at you is the one of the sole things that scares you. For me scares come from sudden moments, tension, and atmosphere. Which the game has in spades. I get freaked out just when the forest starts getting dark and the wind starts roaring! *shudders*

I agree that it raises tension because you know they're coming but the problem lies in the taken's routine appearance. The game has a lot of opportunities to fuck with you and it barely takes any of them. I'm enjoying the game. It's well paced and pretty polished. However, I feel like they could've done more to increase the scares.

The main issue is introducing 90% of enemies with a 'dramatic' slow-motion camera pull. It's rare that you get to anticipate enemies (e.g. in Condemned, where you see a shelf get knocked over and footsteps moving overhead), and even rarer that they catch you off-guard.

Cant0na

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
The main issue is introducing 90% of enemies with a 'dramatic' slow-motion camera pull. It's rare that you get to anticipate enemies (e.g. in Condemned, where you see a shelf get knocked over and footsteps moving overhead), and even rarer that they catch you off-guard.

there are jump scares in the game. they did pop out of no where at certain spots

the slowmo camera pull happens when youre surrounded and about to get attacked by a pack

Cant0na said:
there are jump scares in the game. they did pop out of no where at certain spots

the slowmo camera pull happens when youre surrounded and about to get attacked by a pack
Even then the enemies almost never shut up. So if you don't see them you still know exactly where they are and that they are seconds away from getting shot in the face.

Alright so I got the game late last night and played up to when
Alice gets kidnapped
and good lord I haven't felt this unnerved and genuinely creeped out since the first SH. When your walking through the cabin with the power off and the boards are creaking and you can hear wind rustling the trees outside its sets me completely on edge. Anyways I am not far but I am so into this game. Its everything I was hoping for. Also the graphics outside of the characters faces are incredible.

The tensest moments are when the shadows and mist descend and enemies will respawn constantly until you push through to the next area.

But then I'm of the opinion that respawning enemies are essential to truly putting fear the player.

derFeef

I do not get the no tension comments. My hearts starts pounding when (slight gameplay spoiler)
you remove the dark presence from a big guy and he starts to rage and then storms into your direction. Or the ultra fast guys, especially when there are two of them and one sneaks up to you.

Lostconfused said:
Even then the enemies almost never shut up. So if you don't see them you still know exactly where they are and that they are seconds away from getting shot in the face.

Well at this point it just seems some of us gaffers find it scarier (or more intense I should say) then others. I don't think thats hard to wrap your head around. Personally the taken scare me more with just their presence and the fact they attack in packs. Other scares alone come from small subtly sounds, and movments in the backgrounds, etc. Though I'm playing on hard and definetly have to use the dodge move ALOT. :p

Cant0na

Banned
Lostconfused said:
i think remedy were trying more to creep you out and unnerve you with the setting more than give you jump scares like dead space

if you were expecting doom3/dead space style constant pops i can see where you dont see the scare. imo its more tension than scare (especially on the harder settings)

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Played a couple of hours last night, lights off, surround on, like others say the atmosphere is fantastic, overall graphically it's not amazing but the lighting effects are something to behold, also great audio engineering, story thus far is also quite interesting, glad I picked this up.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well at this point it just seems some of us gaffers find it scarier (or more intense I should say) then others. I don't think thats hard to wrap your head around. Personally the taken scare me more with just their presence and the fact they attack in packs. Other scares alone come from small subtly sounds, and movments in the backgrounds, etc. Though I'm playing on hard and definetly have to use the dodge move ALOT. :p
Fine I'll reserve my opinion until I play nightmare. Because they clearly made normal the default easy mode so that you could get through it with minimum amount of effort.

witness

Shake Appeal said:
The tensest moments are when the shadows and mist descend and enemies will respawn constantly until you push through to the next area.

Fuck that sounds like Call of Duty! There's infinitely respawning enemies in this game?

Cant0na

Banned
witness said:
Fuck that sounds like Call of Duty! There's respawning enemies in this game?

theres like 2/3 set pieces where you have to defend and hold a spot until your AI buddies are trying to do something while you protect them. it doesnt happen with regular enemies, they die

Lostconfused said:
Fine I'll reserve my opinion until I play nightmare. Because they clearly made normal the default easy mode so that you could get through it with minimum amount of effort.

Oh your on normal? Yeah should have at least started on hard. Seems most people think hard feels like normal, and normal feels easy. I'm looking forward to nightmare mode myself. Maybe the tension of the enemies will rack up for you on harder difficulties. I know on hard mode, a regular taken can take on upward to 4-5 shots after burning away the darkness. Add in a group of three of them at once and you got your work cut out for you.

Reckoner

I saw some people asking how many episodes Alan Wake have.

Please, don't ask that. I realised I did a big mistake asking for that, because you're going to be more surprised if you do not know how many episodes the game has.

I thought Hard was a little too easy (except for one bizarre difficulty spike in Episode 5, when you
fight in a small warehouse while Poets of the Fall play on the radio
, but that was probably just me), so I'm looking forward to the Nightmare playthrough.

While I have a list of complaints (the main ones would be the lack of difficulty, the sheer amount of cutscenes or close-to-uninteractive sequences, and the goddamned giant help/waypoint thing in the upper left), there are far too many great things about this game for me not to love it. For something I've looked forward to for five or six years and been on a rollercoaster of anticipation and disappointment about, that's a significant achievement.

And the story is really, really smart, at least for a genre mystery-thriller piece.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Still gotta go pick up this beaut - I know a store that is selling the LE for 60 and regular for 50-55, so that ain't shabby at all...

Haven't read or looked at any reviews or videos at all aside from the trailers from a few months back so I'll be going in cold turkey.

Can these 6 episode videos you guys are talking about be watched before playing the game, or better yet, should they be watched before playing the game?

Skilotonn said:
Can these 6 episode videos you guys are talking about be watched before playing the game, or better yet, should they be watched before playing the game?

Def check them out before the game. It is a prequel series after all! You will get some apprecation for things in the game because of this.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I know on hard mode, a regular taken can take on upward to 4-5 shots after burning away the darkness. Add in a group of three of them at once and you got your work cut out for you.
A 'regular' Taken takes three revolver rounds on Hard, and four on Nightmare. I presume they take two on Normal. Some of the quicker, smaller guys only take two bullets on Hard, while the heavier dudes take a full barrel.

Look forward to seeing how many rounds you have to put into
a chainsaw dude
on Nightmare. :D

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Not really finding it scary, but the tension is growing as the game progresses and I am absorbed into the narrative. Anytime the darkness comes and messes with the environment always has me on the edge of my gaming chair.

They did go a bit overboard with collectables though. Having that usual problem of missing certain 'what waz dat??' events because I am constantly panning around the environment for coffee mugs or whatever instead of focusing purely on the objective.

REALLY can't wait to replay the game with commentary turned on though after its all over.

Shake Appeal said:
A 'regular' Taken takes three revolver rounds on Hard, and four on Nightmare. I presume they take two on Normal. Some of the quicker, smaller guys only take two bullets on Hard, while the heavier dudes take a full barrel.

a chainsaw dude

I swear I put four or five in one of them and he still lived. Though maybe I just missed when I think about it. :lol I had one rushing me, and the other two throwing hatchets at me! I was quite tense lol.

Oh one thing I hate. The run mechanic. I know its probably supposed to make you feel tense but it just makes me realize that apparently I shouldn't feel panicked that there is a big ass tornado chasing me because the developers are only letting me walk like I am taking a stroll around a pond after a sunday picnic.

stupei

Lostconfused said:

Well that's your problem right there, unfortunately.

Sounds like you're still early in. Maybe you should consider restarting and playing it on Hard. Game's meant to be played that way; running low on ammo is what creates the tension.

Shake Appeal said:

a chainsaw dude

On Hard it took a flash bang right on top of him plus three hunting rifle shots to the face to take one down. Only thing that survives a flash bang. :lol

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I swear I put four or five in one of them and he still lived. Though maybe I just missed when I think about it. :lol I had one rushing me, and the other two throwing hatchets at me! I was quite tense lol.

Those counts of how many bullets it takes are for when you've burned the darkness away entirely, I think.

Cant0na

Banned
just cant keep himself out of his games

"And when he swore to bring back his love
By the stories hed create
Nightmares shifted endlessly
In the darkness of the lake
"

sam+lake.jpg

stupei said:
Those counts of how many bullets it takes are for when you've burned the darkness away entirely, I think.

Ahh maybe that was it. Sometimes its so nerve wracking, its like "did I burn the darkness away on that enemy completely?, or wait was it that enemy... ohh shittt there's another one.. FUCKKKKKKKKKK"

And that why for me the game battles and the taken are intense! :lol That shit is a perfect example of what is running through my head most the time fighting these guys.

Prine

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Kind of hard for a game to be scary when the enemies can't even touch you.

What difficulty are you playing at?

Lostconfused said:

Not at all, it takes a few moments to drain them with my torch. Unless im stocked up with flash grenades or flare gun ammo.

AW builds tension by throwing you in locations where their MIGHT be something about to kick off. If it does or doesn't, the fear of that potential is the mind trip. I feel this is how it builds tension.

Prine said:
What difficulty are you playing at?

He is on normal. As he stated above. BTW, is there anywhere that tells your game time, or has everyone just been tracking it themselves when posting their times. I couldnt find a time anywhere in the menus.

There's no time counter, sadly, but I think I put about 14 hours into it on my first playthrough.

But I do tend to play games like this very slowly, soaking in the atmosphere.

Shake Appeal said:
There's no time counter, sadly, but I think I put about 14 hours into it on my first playthrough.

But I do tend to play games like this very slowly, soaking in the atmosphere.

Would most say that the first episode is the shortest? It took me about 2 hours and 15 minuntes on hard. Just trying to figure out how long the other episodes will take me roughly.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm afraid I might becoming fatigued with the night environment. I'm only in chapter 3, but I have this feeling of familiarity with some of the dark blueish, foggy forests. I hear episode 4 spices it up a bit, though...looking forward to trying that later today.

Also, I really wish I watched Twin Peaks. I'm obviously missing so much.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Would most say that the first episode is the shortest?
Yeah, I think so. Or at least, I was surprised by how long Episode 2 and 3 were in comparison, and 4-6 seemed about the same.

I don't think anyone can really complain about the length of this, though obviously there's no multiplayer or much else that extends the life of it past Nightmare difficulty and the collectibles.

Shake Appeal said:
Yeah, I think so. Or at least, I was surprised by how long Episode 2 and 3 were in comparison, and 4-6 seemed about the same.

I don't think anyone can really complain about the length of this, though obviously there's no multiplayer or much else that extends the life of it past Nightmare difficulty and the collectibles.

Well from the sounds of it, it sound like a perfect length. Games like Alan Wake I replay countless times over for the story and setting. No multiplayer required on replays for me! :D

Prine

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
He is on normal. As he stated above. BTW, is there anywhere that tells your game time, or has everyone just been tracking it themselves when posting their times. I couldnt find a time anywhere in the menus.

lol, how many times did we say to play on hard. On normal there is no tension for seasoned gamers. Its a cakewalk.

Brandon F said:
Not really finding it scary, but the tension is growing as the game progresses and I am absorbed into the narrative. Anytime the darkness comes and messes with the environment always has me on the edge of my gaming chair.

They did go a bit overboard with collectables though. Having that usual problem of missing certain 'what waz dat??' events because I am constantly panning around the environment for coffee mugs or whatever instead of focusing purely on the objective.

REALLY can't wait to replay the game with commentary turned on though after its all over.

Oi, did you watch the brightfall shorts?? Or too busy polishing that coin?!

kodt

Banned
Does anyone know what happens if you run out of ammo? I am playing on Hard.

I ran out of ammo at one point and literally used my last 2 bullets to kill the last two enemies I was fighting. I was then out of ammo and worried what I would do if I ran into any more. Thankfully I made it to a cut-scene without running into anyone.

So what would happen? Are you just screwed and have to die and re-play hopefully using less ammo? Is there any way to defeat enemies without bullets? Or do you just run for it and hope you make it to the next chapter :lol

edit: assume you have no other gear (no flares etc..)

Prine said:
lol, how many times did we say to play on hard. On normal there is no tension for seasoned gamers. Its a cakewalk.

Yeah I'm sure alot of people are bound to play on normal. Hard truly is the way to go first time. Makes the combat fun, tense, and exciting! :lol OHH SHIT... here they come again! :lol

Cant0na

Banned
kodt said:

I ran out of ammo at one point and literally used my last 2 bullets to kill the last two enemies I was fighting. I was then out of ammo and worried what I would do if I ran into any more. Thankfully I made it to a cut-scene without running into anyone.

So what would happen? Are you just screwed and have to die and re-play hopefully using less ammo? Is there any way to defeat enemies without bullets? Or do you just run for it and hope you make it to the next chapter :lol

flashbangs, flares

very rarely are you out of everything. when youre out of ammo i used the flares and flashbangs to run to the next light (where theres usually supplies)

Cardigan

kodt said:

Run for your life :D

I don't think I ran out of ammo once. I'm not even sure how you would go about doing that, unless you sat in one of the respawning areas for a while.

Prine

Banned
kodt said:

You do what you do in real life... RUN! Keep looking back, dodge and make it to the light. If you die, you're given ammo upon respawning. I've had this happen to me many times, i was panting with Wake under a shower of light :lol

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Lostconfused said:

Which leads me to agreeing with the above quote. I put of playing DS for months because I found that the game made me to tense/scared. While I expect to make it through Alan Wake in a day and a half maybe. Just finished chapters 1 and 2 without any trouble.

I thought both Dead Space and Resident Evil 4 were scarier too. In the case of RE4 it's not the zombies per se, but the damn enemies that are nearly undefeatable (dude with chainsaw for example) in combination with the cat in the closet type of scares that stress me out, something that isn't frequent at all in Alan Wake, I think.

Don't get me wrong, Alan Wake is spooky at times (slowly walking through tht lumber yard early in the game comes to my mind) but I'm not constantly expecting an enemy to jump out right in front of me and scream or anything. It's the right amount of scary and I can deal with playing it alone in the middle of the night -- something which I found more difficult with Dead Space.

The fighting is also well adjusted for me. It's tense and occasionally I died while playing through Alan Wake. There's always that nagging feeling of "there's one of those bastards right behind me now, isn't there?" but it didn't get to the point where it felt like a cheap scare but rather a pattern for the enemy to attack -- from several sides at once. Never knowing if one of them was right there and then turning around swiftly and seeing your flashlight illuminating nothing but some grass and trees, when you almost expected a shadow, does a lot for the atmosphere in the game, I'd say.

Played through mid Episode 2 last night. Really digging the atmosphere, and the way the story is presented. The TV spots are pretty cool. Graphics are hit and miss, but generally do a decent enough job. Lip sync is laughable, and Bright Falls should be renamed to Uncanny Valley :p

soco

i'm not sure if they're in optional off-the-path areas, but i've had enemies jump out at me. there's one specific place that comes to mind in episode 2.
if you walk into the men's bathrooms before getting into the truck, an enemy will jump out of the stall as you try to leave.

i've also had plenty of times where enemies appear behind you and you have no idea they're there until you get an axe in your back. this has happened several times when the enemies come in groups. on hard mode at least, the AI is pretty good at getting the enemies to run around objects and come at you from all sides if you're not careful with the flashlight. sometimes, depending upon the location, they'll run behind rocks and trees where you can't hit them and come up really quick on your side.

Top Bottom