• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Danielsan

Really enjoying the game thus far.
I finished episode 1 and have made it very far into episode 2 (I think).
I find myself to be genuinely afraid of the enemies. The way they can gang up on you is simply brutal (playing on hard and have died multiple times already). I generally tend to go of the beaten path and explore in games, but sometimes I've been too afraid to stray too deeply into the darkness of the forest in Alan Wake.

Overall I think the game looks good, but it really comes into its own at night.
However, whoever said this game was the new standard for 360 games is batshit insane.
During the daylight sequences or in well lit rooms the game can look pretty bad. There are a ton of god awful textures, some of which make no sense at all and are in plain sight. There is also a ton screen tearing and ghosting and the character models might just be the creepiest part of the game. They are completely lifeless (They never blink), poorly animated and textured. Kind of a shame because I'm really digging the story and the voice acting (Barry is awesome), but the character animation really holds it back.

Just finished this, GOTY for me. I'm just a sucker for games heavy on the narrative. And now I'm REALLY looking forward to the DLC.

Would be nice with a thread where you could discuss the story freely.

Dries

Holy Fucking shit. The ending of episode 4 is so frikkin' awesome. Truly one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. From the
viking stage battle to the andersons house and finding out the ''hidden message'' is actually a song. Then after that the first person view sequence at Cauldron Lake in which a lot is cleared up. Then that cliffhanger and then that song!!

Just Oh My God. This Game.

Hawk269

As I said in a previous post, I think the daytime sequences look pretty good/average, but I just got to the beginning of Episode 3 and that daytime sequence looks really great. Episode 2 took me about 3 1/2 hours to beat, went off the beaten path a number of times and did alot of just soaking in the visuals. I have not been glued to a game for this long in a very long time.

I usually get a game and play it for a few hours, then the next day for a few hours. Alan Wake has me coming back more and more...right now I was just getting stuff together for dinner and all I can think of is Alan Wake, but since dinner will be ready in an hour or so, then the Lakers game, I will hold of till later tonight.

I also got Red Dead Redemption, great game so far, but AW is pulling me away from it, each time I think about playing Red, I reach for AW.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Fucking Amazon, i got release date delivery and the fucking thing is still in another state. I better get it this week cause im not gonna be here next week and the package is gonna end up lost.

soco

~Kinggi~ said:
Fucking Amazon, i got release date delivery and the fucking thing is still in another state. I better get it this week cause im not gonna be here next week and the package is gonna end up lost.

if you don't have prime, write them to get your shipping money refunded!

~Kinggi~ said:

Really, go to the store, buy the game, then when the amazon copy comes in, return that one to the store with the receipt! :D

~Kinggi~ said:

You never replied when I asked you what shipping method shows up when you plug your tracking number into UPS/Fedex's tracking page. Amazon shipped your copy on Monday like they should have, so unless they shipped your copy via ground shipping, they didn't mess anything up. They don't have control over when the shipper fucks things up. It happens. Amazon is one of the few places that will offer you a refund or other incentive when the shipper screws up.

Cant0na said:
just cant keep himself out of his games
THIS IS A REAL SPOILER:

Oh, he's really in the game. On a TV talk show towards the end. Playing himself. He even does the Max Payne face. On the one hand, it's a clever Hitchcock style cameo, on the other hand it's not that clever because he's just playing himself.

feel

Kobun Heat said:
THIS IS A REAL SPOILER:

Oh, he's really in the game. On a TV talk show towards the end. Playing himself. He even does the Max Payne face. On the one hand, it's a clever Hitchcock style cameo, on the other hand it's not that clever because he's just playing himself.
spoiler
I loved that :) youtube.com/watch?v=ZjY1WDz8TpI

~Kinggi~

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
You never replied when I asked you what shipping method shows up when you plug your tracking number into UPS/Fedex's tracking page. Amazon shipped your copy on Monday like they should have, so unless they shipped your copy via ground shipping, they didn't mess anything up. They don't have control over when the shipper fucks things up. It happens. Amazon is one of the few places that will offer you a refund or other incentive when the shipper screws up.

I have Prime, so no refund for me.

UPS screwed up apparently after putting in the tracking number- Original delivery date was 18th but they now have a rescheduled date on their site.

Rescheduled Delivery Date:
05/20/2010
Shipped To:
BOCA RATON, FL, US
Shipped/Billed On:
05/17/2010
Type:
Package
Service:
NEXT DAY AIR SAVER
Weight:
3.00 Lbs

charsace

Danielsan said:
Really enjoying the game thus far.
I finished episode 1 and have made it very far into episode 2 (I think).
I find myself to be genuinely afraid of the enemies. The way they can gang up on you is simply brutal (playing on hard and have died multiple times already). I generally tend to go of the beaten path and explore in games, but sometimes I've been too afraid to stray too deeply into the darkness of the forest in Alan Wake.

Overall I think the game looks good, but it really comes into its own at night.
However, whoever said this game was the new standard for 360 games is batshit insane.
During the daylight sequences or in well lit rooms the game can look pretty bad. There are a ton of god awful textures, some of which make no sense at all and are in plain sight. There is also a ton screen tearing and ghosting and the character models might just be the creepiest part of the game. They are completely lifeless (They never blink), poorly animated and textured. Kind of a shame because I'm really digging the story and the voice acting (Barry is awesome), but the character animation really holds it back.
The studio is small so they can't focus on everything. They didn't have over a hundred people working on this like FF13, KZ2, H3, etc did.

~Kinggi~ said:
I have Prime, so no refund for me.

Well it never hurts to email them even when a problem occurs outside of their control. They have the tendency to go the extra mile for Prime subscribers. I think one time Fedex messed up one of my overnight release date delivery shipments and Amazon threw a few bucks my way; but then again I spend so much with Amazon that I actually received a hand-written "thank you" letter from them :lol :lol :lol ........................... :(

Darklord

Banned
How long is this game? I heard it can be beaten in a weekend so I'm not sure if I want to buy it new...

I'm also thinking it'll still come to PC but later on like GTA4 or Gears.

Minamu

Beat it an hour ago or so :D Took around 15 hours thanks to a lot of manuscript hunting (most of which was in vain since most papers are placed right in front of you). Lack of enemy variety didn't bother me that much & I probably wouldn't have noticed it at all if reviews hadn't been bitching about it :lol Though, throwing single Takens at me was pretty ridiculous, since their threat level is basically zero, especially in episode 6 o_O Most of the game was played after midnight but it wasn't very creepy or scary anyway which was a bit of a bummer I guess.

Anyway, after getting 93 out of 100 possible coffee termoses, I need to take my revenge on those annoying collectables. Getting ready for Nightmare!

Frillen

Darklord said:
How long is this game? I heard it can be beaten in a weekend so I'm not sure if I want to buy it new...

I'm also thinking it'll still come to PC but later on like GTA4 or Gears.

10-12 hours.

Pooya

WOW the game has audio tracks for 7 languages ! o_O How they could fit all of this on a single DVD? Too bad you can't mix different audio with different subtitles, I really liked to play with Japanese audio and English text, everything is in Japanese even some of the in-game 3D models, localization is very impressive IMO.
Final Fantasy XIII was on 50GB Blu-ray and only supported one language, efficiency is nice :/.

imtehman

Banned
miladesn said:
WOW the game has audio tracks for 7 languages ! o_O How they could fit all of this on a single DVD? Too bad you can't mix different audio with different subtitles, I really liked to play with Japanese audio and English text, everything is in Japanese even some of the in-game 3D models, localization is very impressive IMO.
Final Fantasy XIII was on 50GB Blu-ray and only supported one language, efficiency is nice :/.

i don't think its a matter of ffxiii not being able to fit more languages, just SE opting not to.

miladesn said:

Have you seen the cutscenes in Alan Wake yet?

Hag

I fucking loved the
Sudden Stop manuscripts. Payne's VA in the narration is so fucking good. Make me miss the Max Payne games
:D

I lol'd at
Emerson's talk in the clinic.

Right now the best episode was the 4th for me. I need to play again in Nightmare though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Episode 4 has been really good so far. Any time you don't have a weapon or a flashlight and you rely on Fatty Wake to run from enemies becomes a real nightmare ifunowhatimean

Minamu said:
Lack of enemy variety didn't bother me that much & I probably wouldn't have noticed it at all if reviews hadn't been bitching about it :lol
Reviewers who say stuff like this should not be allowed to continue in their profession.

Pooya

Valkyr Junkie said:
Have you seen the cutscenes in Alan Wake yet?
Video quality is awful thanks to Bink but sadly that's something you see in pretty much all games that are not PS3 exclusive.

naib

This game is amazing so far.

I'm getting my ass kicked on Hard though. I think I'm going to restart on Normal before I get too far. I know, I'm a pussy.

I beat this game and goddamn, it's definitely my favorite single player experience this generation, hands down. You can tell Remedy spent 5 years on this game. Everything is so calculated, from the subtle distortion in noises to the intense set pieces. My only gripe has been parroted by many already; the facial animations and lip synching could have used a little more tweaking. As far as graphics go, I never really noticed any issues that took me out of the experience, although some of the cutscenes did have some compression artifacts. All in all, Alan Wake is my favorite obsession right now and possibly the best game I've ever played!

ACE 1991

~Kinggi~ said:

Call them and bitch, they gave me a $10 credit as compensation for not getting release date delivery.

Y2Kev

I really like how they blend reality with the game world. They talk a lot about the real world. Barry is freaking Zekefamous.

Cardigan

Episode 4 has one of the most epic and awesome set pieces I've ever experienced in a video game. Anyone who has completed this chapter will know what I'm talking about :lol

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Just finished Episode 3. Really enjoying it, though the length of each episode is kinda rough. It 'feels' right to complete an episode in a single sitting, but I usually want to take a break a while before I beat it.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
naib said:
This game is amazing so far.

I'm getting my ass kicked on Hard though. I think I'm going to restart on Normal before I get too far. I know, I'm a pussy.

really?..im breezing through it on hard..i died a couple of times here and there but they're fairly generous with both ammo and checkpoints.

Y2Kev

Argh, this is so stupid. I'm trying to read the wall scribbles, but you can only seem them in light...and the light from your flashlight obscures the text!

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
After every 2 episodes i have to take a break for the day, Dont want the awesome to end. Set up perfectly to take breaks as well. The whole episode thing makes it feel more epic IMO.

Episode 4 instantly made this GOTY.

Cant0na

Banned
Costanza said:
How many episodes are there? i finished 3 earlier. it was so awesome.

Half way

and 1-3 are (atleast for me) the weak chapters. it really picks up right after that. 4 and 5 are the best part of the game and have the awesome memorable moments

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Cant0na said:
Half way

and 1-3 are (atleast for me) the weak chapters. it really picks up right after that. 4 and 5 are the best part of the game and have the awesome memorable moments

Really? I'm midway into 2 and LOVING it so far, so that's great to hear. Hard was definitely a good difficulty to start on for me, 3-4 slow mo dodges in a row feels awesome.

mYm|17|

holy crap, I ran outta ammo and had to run like a bitch to get to some ammo and a safe haven..................whewwwwww

wtf........I am out of ammo totally so I gotta use this safe haven to kill these guys and it sucks ass

Cant0na

Banned
sdornan said:
Why doesn't Alan Wake use his flashlight to heal himself?

cause he's never actually hurt

040723_MNightShyamalan_bcol_2p.widec.jpg

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm really surprised by this game. Here I thought the thriller would be in the story and revelation of the story (and some of it is) but the 'edge of your seat' feeling is always in the gameplay. I love games where the scary stuff happens in the gameplay rather than the story and I totally did not expect that for this game. So far I'm lovin' it but I'm only on Chapter 3 so my thoughts could change.

Also, using a flare at the last possible moment before you die to save yourself is one of the most thrilling and exciting gameplay moments I have ever experienced in a game.

sdornan said:
Why doesn't Alan Wake use his flashlight to heal himself?

Shhhh!

Do not question the game's logic or our Finnish overlords will destroy us all!

Top Bottom