• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
AndyMoogle said:
Well there is a DLC code with the LCE. Don't know if that comes with the regular edition as well.

Ahh ok, I just got the regular edition, no code or anything came with mine, np, should of the LCE edition tbh, may trade mine in.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Yes it does. :D

Uh?, you got a code in your regular edition?

Y2Kev said:
I finished it. I liked it a lot, but it has a lot of obvious flaws that Remedy could have easily fixed to make it much better. There are a lot of things I think are pretty innovative about the way it creates its world and tells its story, and I like those a lot. The story overall, though...kinda wacky.
Time to read the spoilers thread!

lowrider007 said:
Ahh ok, I just got the regular edition, no code or anything came with mine, np, should of the LCE edition tbh, may trade mine in.

Uh?, you got a code in your regular edition?

I didn't I got the collectors edition but my friend bought the regular edition and yeah he got the code as well.

Flunkie

Banned
What the hell is with the green tint on everything? Jesus, it looks terrible.

EDIT: Well shit, this sucks. It has green tint on everything now. My fucking SXRD finally got the green blob of death. Damnit. That's totally going to kill my enjoyment of videogames..

Greg

Can't believe I'm going to do this, but I'm going to watch a walkthrough of this game online...

I love Remedy's games, but I don't see myself getting the opportunity to play this game anytime soon.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm maybe half-way through episode 3.

Without commenting on story or gameplay;

Holy fuck the character movement speed is sooooo sloooooooooooooooooow. Any area without enemies disables running, even when he's running he's still not a very agile character, the asthma attacks kick in way too fast and take too long to recover from. Just awful character movement speed.

The worst part about it is that in-combat Alan is actually quite agile. The timed cinematic dodges are really really cool and make you feel unusually in control. It doesn't make sense that he can bob and weave and blast but can barely move.

Now, I get that the Taken need to be a bit faster than Alan to prevent you from being able to turtle near the spotlight sections (for example the part with the bridge with the underpass near the end of episode 2 where you get ambushed by maybe 4 little guys and 1 bigger guy was very challenging on Hard and if you could run faster than the Taken you'd be able to get back to the spotlight no problem) but that's no excuse for making it a laborious task just to move from room to room.

sflufan said:
My main problem with the game is the damned on-screen radar.

For a game that's going for a tense atmospheric immersion, it was a damned silly idea to put the freakin' HUGE ASS radar at the top left of the screen. NOTHING kills the atmosphere quite like that!

The radar (which is useless because really it's really just a compass, not a radar) isn't as bad as the stupid omnipresent objective string, which is just kinda floating in the middle of nowhere. "GET ACROSS THE BRIDGE!!!!" "GET BACK TO THE CABIN!!!"--it's not like objectives are complex or anything, you really don't need to be constantly reminded of them.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
lowrider007 said:
I heard that people that purchase the game new will get the first DLC for free is this true?

Yea, you'll get a code that, once downloaded, will email you a code for the DLC when it comes out on July 28th (it'll be in your email linked to your gamercard).

Stumpokapow said:
IHoly fuck the character movement speed is sooooo sloooooooooooooooooow. Any area without enemies disables running, even when he's running he's still not a very agile character, the asthma attacks kick in way too fast and take too long to recover from. Just awful character movement speed.
I think I walked through any area that didn't have enemies, soaking in the atmosphere and basically roleplaying the game, so this was never an issue.

But your mileage obviously varies.

Flunkie

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Awww bummer dude. But that does explain it. Your xbox just got officially "taken"
My Xbox, along with my PS3, Wii, Dish Network, my flashlight, and my virginity.. :'(

I JUST got back into "gaming" mode too. Out of school for the summer, gonna be spending less time with the girlfriend due to us both working, friends are going off for the summer. Bought Alan Wake and Red Dead Redemption, and now I can't even enjoy me some good lazy gaming time that I've been missing out on lately.

LiK

Stumpokapow said:
I'm maybe half-way through episode 3.

Without commenting on story or gameplay;

Holy fuck the character movement speed is sooooo sloooooooooooooooooow. Any area without enemies disables running, even when he's running he's still not a very agile character, the asthma attacks kick in way too fast and take too long to recover from. Just awful character movement speed.

The worst part about it is that in-combat Alan is actually quite agile. The timed cinematic dodges are really really cool and make you feel unusually in control. It doesn't make sense that he can bob and weave and blast but can barely move.

Now, I get that the Taken need to be a bit faster than Alan to prevent you from being able to turtle near the spotlight sections (for example the part with the bridge with the underpass near the end of episode 2 where you get ambushed by maybe 4 little guys and 1 bigger guy was very challenging on Hard and if you could run faster than the Taken you'd be able to get back to the spotlight no problem) but that's no excuse for making it a laborious task just to move from room to room.

The radar (which is useless because really it's really just a compass, not a radar) isn't as bad as the stupid omnipresent objective string, which is just kinda floating in the middle of nowhere. "GET ACROSS THE BRIDGE!!!!" "GET BACK TO THE CABIN!!!"--it's not like objectives are complex or anything, you really don't need to be constantly reminded of them.
All about evading. Float like a butterfly mah brotha. Float!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
stupei said:
Yes, the code comes on a card with the regular edition. Should be right there with the instruction manual.

Damn, didn't get any code with mine, purchased from BlockBuster UK, it wasn't sealed or anything though, they keep the manual and disk separate, bummer, gonna ring them now.

Cardigan

lowrider007 said:
Damn, didn't get any code with mine, purchased from BlockBuster UK, it wasn't sealed or anything though, they keep the manual and disk separate, bummer, gonna ring them now.
Pretty sketchy that they separate the manual and disks on new purchases...

stupei

lowrider007 said:
ummmmm, it appears I'm not the only one,

http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=3814

Seems that a few people in the UK have had the same problem, A bit of a shame that really.

That completely sucks. Maybe Remedy will be able to do something, since it's not an isolated issue? If they can confirm the purchase, at least.

soco said:
since MS was publishing, i doubt it's anywhere close to limited. prolly like 50K in the US.

Not sure how limited it will turn out to be in the end, but all the Best Buys in my area have completely sold out and say they don't have any more on order. (Gamestops, on the other hand, seem to have quite a few.)

skyfinch

Flunkie said:
My Xbox, along with my PS3, Wii, Dish Network, my flashlight, and my virginity.. :'(

I JUST got back into "gaming" mode too. Out of school for the summer, gonna be spending less time with the girlfriend due to us both working, friends are going off for the summer. Bought Alan Wake and Red Dead Redemption, and now I can't even enjoy me some good lazy gaming time that I've been missing out on lately.

Damn, that's some serious bad luck. Don't walk across the street anytime soon. Might get hit by a bus.

This game went from day one to day one week. Have to study so I'll pick it up on Saturday. Episode 4 had better be mindblowing otherwise you freaks will pay!

Dries

Shake Appeal said:
I think I walked through any area that didn't have enemies, soaking in the atmosphere and basically roleplaying the game, so this was never an issue.

This. I think I walked more than I ran with this game.

skyfinch said:
Episode 4 had better be mindblowing otherwise you freaks will pay!

Hehe. You just wait.

sflufan

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

Oh Christ -- that as well was irritating the hell out of me!

Remedy, seriously, please don't listen to your playtesters in the future if they thought these were actually good ideas!

adelante

LiK said:
All about evading. Float like a butterfly mah brotha. Float!
That's exactly how I approached the game :lol Everytime I walk into a bunch of Taken, I can't help but grin and think "let's dance..."

Took me the first episode to really get used to the controls, let alone the Hard difficulty. But you feel like a badass when you're chaining together different moves/weapons. Like evading the closest enemy, turning towards another to burn away it's darkness, then quickly shooting off a flare gun at some distant enemy, and swiftly pumping out a shotgun shell to the face of that first enemy. The combat in this game is pretty straightforward but there are nuances to it that makes it easy to engage a large group of Taken. The ability to change the direction of where you're facing during slo-mo evasions can be pretty useful. Plus, a quick burst of the torch with the L trigger makes the enemy stagger a little, even if their darkness has been depleted, buying you just enough time to do other stuff like take out closer enemies, reload, etc.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Prine said:
Haha, i see you playing too much Madden as of late. Hope you play this on hard, in the dark with the volume up high!
Just got a new Yamaha HDMI receiver that will get put to the test with Alan Wake and Red Dead Redemption.

And I will play this on Hard from the outset because you say I should. :lol

Prine

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
Just got a new Yamaha HDMI receiver that will get put to the test with Alan Wake and Red Dead Redemption.

And I will play this on Hard from the outset because you say I should. :lol

Godfather :bow Im humbled :p

Just finished!!

Pretty good overall, a solid 8/10.

Any game that finishes on
A Space Oddity
can do itself no harm in my book.

The only annoying thing with the game is that with a few extra things/additions/improvements the game could enter 'great' territory.

Gowans

I'm upto the begining of ep5.

Loved the section of ep4 everyones enjoying.

I'm just soaking up every part of the atmosphere and story in the game, as said the pacing is spot on too.

Now looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Triz

Flunkie said:
What the hell is with the green tint on everything? Jesus, it looks terrible.

EDIT: Well shit, this sucks. It has green tint on everything now. My fucking SXRD finally got the green blob of death. Damnit. That's totally going to kill my enjoyment of videogames..

Sony extended the warranty free repair for you. contact them. I know cause I had mine replaced a few months ago.:D

charsace

This game builds so much tension in me. I would love see Remedy make a game based on 24 because they know how to keep the tension high.

Okay, on Nightmare difficulty, the
bulldozer fight is actually pretty intense, at least until I realized a really easy way to do it without getting hit (drop flares regularly to keep back the Taken, not even bothering with them, and just focus the beam steadily on the dozer.

derFeef

Shake Appeal said:
So far, they seem to be on the main track. I've got all the page for Episodes 1 and 2 now.
Weird. I am really taking my time with this game and explore every corner. There must be something I am missing.
Costanza said:
How long is episode 6? Need to know if I can finish by 8 PM EST.
Hm, you really do not want to play the last episode under time pressure, do you? :( I would say a bit shorter than EP 5 if my mind does not trick me.

Top Bottom