• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Foob

holy shit thiiiiis game

i've never played a game where i've been so compelled to run around and collect all the extra items/clues as i have been in this one. the combat is soooo good, it manages the perfect balance of being intense as shit, while never being too difficult.

love the little tv shows, too; i was watching one in a little abandoned cabin, and i SWEAR i saw someone walk past one of the windows - i immediately booked it out of there and never looked back.

This game looks and plays much better than I expected it to (the eternal development cycle made a doubter out of me, and the 540p talk -- which seems so inconsequential now -- had me worried).

I want to play the game for hours on end, yet I also want to savor the experience and make it last for weeks. Savoring is highly unlikely . . .

jeffpm said:
Episode 4 has one of the most epic and awesome set pieces I've ever experienced in a video game. Anyone who has completed this chapter will know what I'm talking about :lol
I can't imagine how Remedy must have felt when that section
was scooped by Left 4 Dead 2 last year.
:lol

Damn it. I'm trying to decide between RDR and Alan Wake at the moment and I just can't make up my mind. The obvious answer is both, but with my budget and bills I can only really afford one game per pay day. I just don't know which to buy first.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
GillianSeed79 said:
Damn it. I'm trying to decide between RDR and Alan Wake at the moment and I just can't make up my mind. The obvious answer is both, but with my budget and bills I can only really afford one game per pay day. I just don't know which to buy first.

Alan Wake is probably a shorter experience, RDR is probably a longer experience (its campaign is most undoubtedly longer from what I hear and it has multiplayer).

I'm not sure if that helps, but length can sometimes be a factor.

I got Alan Wake, but that's mainly because I'm not too big a fan of R* games.

charsace

Just played through the first ep and its fun so far. Haven't gotten the hang of dodging when face more than 2 enemies yet though.

Does Alan Wake sound like Agent Ballard from Dollhouse to anyone else?

GreekWolf

Am I the only one who thinks the daytime sequences are just incredibly impressive? My girlfriend walked in while I was riding the ferry to town, and asked what show I was watching. I let her move Alan around while he chatted up the old gent, and she was blown away.

Game has been great thus far. I'm already getting Silent Hill vibes from episode 1, which is obviously a very good thing.

derFeef

GreekWolf said:
Am I the only one who thinks the daytime sequences are just incredibly impressive? My girlfriend walked in while I was riding the ferry to town, and asked what show I was watching. I let her move Alan around while he chatted up the old gent, and she was blown away.

Game has been great thus far. I'm already getting Silent Hill vibes from episode 1, which is obviously a very good thing.
The lighting makes the daytime look photoreal sometimes (if there were less jaggies even more so). On the ferry when the plane lands in the water - so good!

vireland

GillianSeed79 said:

BOTH. 2 Months, 2 games out at a time $40 total.

www.gamerang.com

You're welcome.

(But play Alan Wake first. It is seriously delicious. Heavily scripted, but in a good way. It just feels like the bastard child of Ico and Half-Life2)

Dries

jeffpm said:
Episode 4 has one of the most epic and awesome set pieces I've ever experienced in a video game. Anyone who has completed this chapter will know what I'm talking about :lol

I know EXACTLY what you mean :lol Goddamn that was so awesome.

Loved almost everything in the game.

Probably the best non original soundtrack I've ever heard in a game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOxSqSxRy-4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwV0jMmvtt0&feature=related
The engine looks phenomenal, and the levels are massive, the overall game might be linear, but the engine has the best looking open world, hands down. Wish there was a mode where I could just explore. I really hope remedy license the engine out to other developers, the possibilities are endless.

The physics and animation are also spot on, running down the hill, alan staggers his steps like one would naturally, running up a hill is slower and everything animates correctly. Cars drive realistically, with each vehicle type having it's own distinct feel.

Attention to detail is amazing, everything is accounted for, the towns history, it's economy, it's customs, everything. Never have I played such a fully realized local, the t.v shows were awesome, the radio sequences were great, all the facts and stuff seemed spot on for what you'd expect in a real town like bright falls.

My biggest complaint is that remedy didn't take full advantage of the physics with it's puzzles, they could take a lesson or two out of valves book on that one. Puzzles were also a bit sparce and none required any real dificulty, which left me slightly unsatisfied... but then again I guess he's a writer, not a theoretical physicist.

I thought the combat could be pushed a little more too,
game lacks taken types and variety of weapons, (why no taken deers, wolves or bears? and where's all the hicks machine guns at)
. I would've killed for some more novel/special weapons, the game screams fireworks, roman candle war ftw.

I also wished the were a couple more 'what was that' moments. especially when looking through view finders. Something creepy, like a person in the forest standing there, watching you, then disappearing a moment later.

Massive spoiler ahead do not read unless you've finished the game... You've been warned.
the ending is so awesome, i love that he completely changes the location of bright falls so it coincides with the original nightmare sequence at the beginning. At first I thought the nightmare would play back in the game somewhere, where we'd have to go to said lighthouse, but this ties things up soooooo much better and leaves so much more room for the following episodes.

imtehman

Banned
Its 2 in the morning and i just finished episode 4.

I can safely say this game is my game of the generation so far.

What an experience, i don't want it to end!

Prine

Banned
Compton's Most Wanted said:
Honestly, I look at Alan Wake as the spiritual successor to Resi 4. I sat in front of my TV for 6 hours straight (day off from work) playing this game non-stop, and I haven't done that since I was a kid playing Resi 4 till my eyes bled. Wake evokes almost the exact same emotions Resi did, from the tension to the pacing...it's amazing how similar the experience has been. Even from a visual standpoint....like Resi, Wake is beautiful from an artistic perspective and the lighting is outstanding. But, as in Resi the textures can be horrifyingly bad...frankly Wake has some of the poorest textures I've seen this gen. Overall though, I've had more enjoyment from this game than any I've played this gen. Just a wonderful game.

i knew i was not the only one who feels like this. The pacing and wonderfully crafted environments (only purpose maybe for a single set piece) reminds me of RE4.

Like i said, fast becoming my game of the generation.

Completed the game last night. Pretty good, although there were some aspects to the game that left me a little disapointed.

Good:

Combat Engine: I found it fiddly to begin with, but after changing to the alternate control system I had a real riot. There's nothing like performing a slow-mo last minute dodge, then whipping out the flashlight, boost it and BANG shotgun to the face and seeing the light melting effect.

Setting: The town the game is set in is very well imagined and executed. Feels just like a real town.

Twin Peaks stuff: I loved the TV's that randomly turn on, the Spaceman montages and the radio show. Really nice features. Oh and the whole manuscript thing was very cool.

Bad:

Lack of variety in enemies: Why are there so few types of enemy type in this game? The setting has the potential for so many things, it's kind of disapointing to always be fighting the same guys over and over.
There are also no real "bosses," a real let down for me. The closest you come is fighting a Tornado, and that's hardly edge of your seat stuff.

Lack of extra features: Maybe I'm not seeing it, but there does not seem to be a New Game+ style mode in this game, only extra difficutly settings. If this game had a mercenaries style mode which just focussed on the combat, I'd be all over it! Similarly the driving is decent in this game, I could easily see an extra mode based around driving as an additional game mode.

Story:
The biggest letdown for me. I almost feel like there is no ending, and I'm effectively being asked to download the DLC to find out what *actually* happens. I appreciate that the game has a psychological twin peaks / WTF style setting and wants to keep you guessing, but the ending was somewhat of a washout for me.

Overall a very good game, but for me comes up a little short compared to the masterpiece that was Max Payne. I could be interested in the DLC, it depends whats on offer!

Cant0na

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:

-red dead will last you longer

-you'll enjoy playing Alan wake alot more

GTA4 or Resident evil 4? your choice (red dead multiplayer is dog shit and broken right now so its not a plus, make your choice based on the kind of single player you want)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Def check them out before the game. It is a prequel series after all! You will get some apprecation for things in the game because of this.

Sorry for the late response, but thanks for the quick answer - awesome, I'll definitely check them out when I can!

Cant0na said:
-red dead will last you longer

-you'll enjoy playing Alan wake alot more

GTA4 or Resident evil 4? your choice (red dead multiplayer is dog shit and broken right now so its not a plus, make your choice based on the kind of single player you want)

None of this makes sense to me.

Picked the game up today - really enjoying it so far. To be honest, I hadn't read/seen much about the game at all, but I liked both the Max Payne games so was sure I would like Alan Wake too.

Not sure why I'm surprised, considering it's Remedy, but the combat/action in this game is great! :D

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I wish they would let you lock the camera to the right of Alan Wake, you can press the right analogue stick down to do this but it doesn't stick, not a big deal I suppose but it just feels strange for me unless his on the right.

LiK

Just started last night. Played from 9pm-1:30am and beat 3 episodes. Not scary and I like the combat. Some annoying graphical issues but the art design for the world is gorgeous.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I think I will treat myself to this today. I was going to wait, but I love Remedy too much to ignore this despite it not being on PC.

Still only have had a chance to play episode one but replayed it a few times (collect more stuff, I was surprised I missed another radio and chest). Was planning on hitting up episode 2 but then the gf passed out. So TONIGHT... episode 2 will happen!

I feel bad though for another game I picked up recently. Red Dead Redemption. I started it yesterday afternoon and while I was impressed, my mind kept wanting to just play Alan Wake, so I think I wasn't giving Red Dead a fair chance. :lol

Poor other game. See what Alan Wake does to people!:D

Man your impressions are KILLING me. My copy is in my state right now, but I dont know if they are going to deliver until tomorrow. That and my copy of RDR. This weekend is going to be a blast.

Prine

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
I think I will treat myself to this today. I was going to wait, but I love Remedy too much to ignore this despite it not being on PC.

Haha, i see you playing too much Madden as of late. Hope you play this on hard, in the dark with the volume up high!

Frostburn

I hate when two great games come out at the same time. I bought this and RDR but I've been able to put 4 hours into RDR and none into Alan Wake so far. I wish I had nothing going on this weekend so I could play more.

The impressions are great and definately getting me excited to play, I wonder if my girlfriend would enjoy the game since she was a big RE4 fan and the game seems easy on normal from what you guys are saying.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Gr1mLock said:
made it up to the last chapter in one sitting....very ..very tired..

wow good going, how long did it take you?, Only game I've ever done that on was Uncharted 2, finished in one sitting, 11 hours 58 mins.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Started on hard. It took around eleven hours i think?...although i may have stretched it cause i was cramming pizza down my gullet whilst playing at one point and my eyes could not be bothered to be unglued from the game...made it to the first few minutes of the last chapter so i think the length seems to be just right. On a side note i believe ive developed a phobia of inanimate objects. Oh well..no sleep...off to work!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
lowrider007 said:
wow good going, how long did it take you?, Only game I've ever done that on was Uncharted 2, finished in one sitting, 11 hours 58 mins.

It makes me sad that I'm only 35 years old and know that there's no way in Hell I could do that long of a marathon session anymore :(

Back in the day I beat Ninja Gaiden on the NES in one setting, so I have that going for me...

sflufan

Banned
My main problem with the game is the damned on-screen radar.

For a game that's going for a tense atmospheric immersion, it was a damned silly idea to put the freakin' HUGE ASS radar at the top left of the screen. NOTHING kills the atmosphere quite like that!

Remedy should've either removed it entirely and forced you to use a map to tell where you're going or designed the UI so that you had to bring up the radar with a button press otherwise it remained invisible.

Very poor design decision in my opinion.

sflufan said:
My main problem with the game is the damned on-screen radar.

For a game that's going for a tense atmospheric immersion, it was a damned silly idea to put the freakin' HUGE ASS radar at the top left of the screen. NOTHING kills the atmosphere quite like that!

Remedy should've either removed it entirely and forced you to use a map to tell where you're going or designed the UI so that you had to bring up the radar with a button press otherwise it remained invisible.

Very poor design decision in my opinion.

I have to make a conscious effort not to look at it and it can be a bother.

Sadly, they have been asked about this and I think they said removing it (or making it an option) has to go through a lot of processes (certification, etc.) that would be costly. They said they'd keep it in mind, though, for the future.

sflufan

Banned
Net, I'm certainly not expecting them to go back and patch in any changes to it. I'm just surprised that it was allowed to get through the design process in the first place.

I mean, it's so glaringly obvious that you can't help but notice it and it really detracts from the immersion factor!

sflufan said:
Net, I'm certainly not expecting them to go back and patch in any changes to it. I'm just surprised that it was allowed to get through the design process in the first place.

I mean, it's so glaringly obvious that you can't help but notice it and it really detracts from the immersion factor!

Honestly, I somehow tend to not notice it. I thought I would too. I guess Remedy was saying in playtests, people prefered the hud especially. Go figure.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I finished it. I liked it a lot, but it has a lot of obvious flaws that Remedy could have easily fixed to make it much better. There are a lot of things I think are pretty innovative about the way it creates its world and tells its story, and I like those a lot. The story overall, though...kinda wacky.

Cardigan

I had an Alan Wake dream last night after playing Episodes 3 and 4. All I remember is that Barry and Alan were in it and we were walking around Bright Falls. Fortunately it was in the day and there weren't any Taken around.

stupei

Noticed that in the OXM Report video of Alan Wake gameplay, there is no HUD on screen at all. Gives me hope that maybe it's something they could end up patching, maybe if there are enough complaints about it.

stupei said:
Noticed that in the OXM Report video of Alan Wake gameplay, there is no HUD on screen at all. Gives me hope that maybe it's something they could end up patching, maybe if there are enough complaints about it.
They didn't have much of a HUD at first. Could be old footage.

Dries

Just finished episode 5 and will tackle the final episode tonight. The season finale baby.

Best story in a videogame ever. This is truly one of the best games I've ever played.

lowrider007 said:
I heard that people that purchase the game new will get the first DLC for free is this true?
Well there is a DLC code with the LCE. Don't know if that comes with the regular edition as well.

Top Bottom