• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Dries

Costanza said:
How long is episode 6? Need to know if I can finish by 8 PM EST.

It's the shortest episode I think. Also the least good one. So say about 1-2 hours. And then you'll spend 3 hours thinking about the ending.

Neckbeard

I just ordered from Amazon. $49.99 and $10 gaming credit? Yes please. Can't wait to crack into it on Monday. Especially since my wife is taking my son out of town for the week and I have the house to myself. Is it bad that I'm looking forward to my family being away? :lol

Dries

Shake Appeal said:
If I had to rank the Episodes: 4>5>3>6>2>1

I would:

4>1>5>2>3>6

And the top 3 most atmospheric/cool set pieces:

Asgard podium>Stucky's gas station>Divers Isle

Majora

Since we're ranking the episodes:

4>5>3>1>2>6

Honestly episode 6, to me, really felt like they took a load of locations and roads from the original concept that they didn't know what to do with and just strung them together. It didn't feel very purposeful. It's also a pain in the arse to explore for collectables in that episode.

Oyashiro

So uh... am I the only one who was really disappointed with the story? I thought it was pretty crappy and underwhelming. It was too open and leaves too many things unanswered/up to the player to decide. I don't really like that at all.

Other than that, though, I loved everything else. More/better puzzles would have been really great, though.

I'm only at Chapter 4 so I can't comment on the story and ending but there is a plot discussion thread that might shine some light for you guys. Furthermore, we know that there will be DLC that continues the story so I imagine some things are left open precisely for that purpose. Again though, I haven't finished yet so I can't speculate beyond that just yet.

They've said the DLC will be from another character's perspective, casting light on some of what we've seen, but that it won't continue the story as such. It's not "Season 2".

God, I hope there's a Season 2.

Everyone buy this, quick!

Shake Appeal said:
They've said the DLC will be from another character's perspective, casting light on some of what we've seen, but that it won't continue the story as such. It's not "Season 2".

Aww I saw the line "continues the story" and jumped to conclusions.

Minamu

I'd love some DLC with that reporter from the prologue vids. He seemed to be getting more & more crazy every second which was pretty cool.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Finally got my LE form Amazon.

Damn, Microsoft rolled out the red carpet for this release. Freaken really great packaging. they even put little 'washer-like' pieces on top of the discs in the case. Great hardcover book holder case as well.

Glad i picked it up. Cant wait to read my making-of book after i beat the game too.

Natural

Well, just clocked the game..Was a good game overall.. Ending let it down.

4 > 1 > 5 > 2 > 3 > 6

Though I have a question - how do you unlock the Nightmare difficulty?

Kusagari

Natural said:
Well, just clocked the game..Was a good game overall.. Ending let it down.

4 > 1 > 5 > 2 > 3 > 6

Though I have a question - how do you unlock the Nightmare difficulty?

You unlock it after beating the game. Just start a new game and you can pick it.

just beat it. Different ending. At least it was better put together than uncharted 2's ending :lol

Overall fantastic game. Episode 4 is probably one of the best levels ever and the entire game is easily in my tops for sp experience.

Can't wait to replay it on nightmare. Oh yea, finished on hard.

Natural

Kusagari said:
You unlock it after beating the game. Just start a new game and you can pick it.

Ah cool, it must have been because I selected Episodes to see if I had unlocked it instead of New Game.

How much harder is it than Hard? Cause I played on Hard and thought it was a breeze.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Pretty phenomenal game so far. Lots of atmosphere.

I can tell why there is a slight sub-hd thing going on here, they must have around 20 different render passes going on at once to put out all the crazy lighting and distortion effects.

Also, framerate is incredibly smooth.

Dabanton

Bloody hell i was in a 'safe' house off the beaten path restocking.

When i thought i heard a voice, i turned around to see one of the taken running right at me.:lol

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Just finished Episode 5. This game has some wicked cool set pieces.

Shake Appeal said:

The DLC won't be starring Alan Wake? That's interesting...

About to start Episode 3 tonight.

Amazing game. I've been playing slowly to get all collectibles before I continue, that way my nightmare playthrough is all about killin'.

Just finished episode 1 and damn I seriously underestimated this game. The atmosphere is awesome and with lights out, I found certain parts pretty scary! Getting a Silent Hill vibe is always a compliment for a game I guess. Also
Roy Orbison
after the episode is automatic win.

Even the blurriness doesn't really matter, it actually improves the atmosphere to some extent. (See SH:Homecoming PS3 vs. 360 version) 4XAA helps a lot too. It's definitely a pretty game (with some technical flaws).

~Kinggi~ said:
guy above said he got two copies. Are you guys for reals? Pretty big fuckup there.

Ya, they even sent me an email tonight about it. :lol

Code:
Thank you for shopping with Walmart.com.

Due to a system error, we have shipped you duplicates of Alan Wake in your recent order 

Because this was our error, please enjoy the extra item – on us!  You will not be charged for it. If you don’t need the extra item, please give it to a friend or consider donating it.

Again, thank you for shopping with Walmart.com.

Sincerely,

Your Walmart.com Customer Service Team
[url]http://www.walmart.com[/url]

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, they even sent me an email tonight about it. :lol

Thank you for shopping with Walmart.com.

Due to a system error, we have shipped you duplicates of Alan Wake in your recent order

Because this was our error, please enjoy the extra item – on us! You will not be charged for it. If you don’t need the extra item, please give it to a friend or consider donating it.

Again, thank you for shopping with Walmart.com.

Sincerely,

Your Walmart.com Customer Service Team
http://www.walmart.com

I didnt get that.

Edit: Nvm just got it.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I just got it about an hour ago. I thought it was weird that my first copy I got just alan wake token on the packing list...

I edited my statement because I realized this would be illegal. I'd we willing to sell for 43 shipped to any GAFer in thread who missed out.

Dries said:
It's the shortest episode I think. Also the least good one. So say about 1-2 hours. And then you'll spend 3 hours thinking about the ending.

this exactly...i liked it until the story got 'muddy' at the end

how do you spend 6 years and not have an ending fleshed out? though they did make the best night levels ever...

~Kinggi~

Banned
The LE bonus disc has more stuff on it than i thought. I thought it was just concept art, get some premium themes and watch the cutscenes. Turns out you can actually install developer commentary into the freaken game! And there are 3 documentaries too! I didnt see them advertise any of the making-of stuff anywhere.

eshwaaz

Just started Episode 3 - it's absolutely fantastic so far. Aside from the distractingly bad facial animation and lip sync, I'm totally engrossed in the experience. I can't say I've ever played anything quite like it.

I really hope that Alan Wake's sales aren't smothered by Red Dead Redemption. Red Dead is also excellent and certainly deserves strong sales as well, but I think Alan Wake is more likely to suffer from the same day release. I don't know that a new IP from a lesser known (at least in the console market) developer can compete with the latest open-world game from "the guys who make GTA".

Cant0na

Banned
i was thinking about the lady of the light song while playing red dead :lol

the opening was right, the true great stories are the ones that stay with you long after youre done with it. i wanna double dip and get the LE now

DeadGzuz

Banned
eshwaaz said:
I really hope that Alan Wake's sales aren't smothered by Red Dead Redemption. Red Dead is also excellent and certainly deserves strong sales as well, but I think Alan Wake is more likely to suffer from the same day release. I don't know that a new IP from a lesser known (at least in the console market) developer can compete with the latest open-world game from "the guys who make GTA".

It's not looking good. RDR 360 has been #1 on Amazon for over a week, AW clawed it's way to #5 the day of release. They are both in the same spost sitting at #1 and #5.

eshwaaz

DeadGzuz said:
It's not looking good. RDR 360 has been #1 on Amazon for over a week, AW clawed it's way to #5 the day of release. They are both in the same spost sitting at #1 and #5.

Damn. Maybe there's hope for longer-term sales for Alan Wake based on positive word-of-mouth. Didn't Remedy basically say that their continued existence is dependent on strong sales?

my take on the ending
SPOILER
There's no lighthouse in brightfalls.

the ending ties the game back to the original nightmare sequence at the beginning of the game.

the reason he turns cauldron lake into an ocean is so he can introduce the lighthouse (safest place on earth?) setting to destroy the darkness once and for all.

I might be completely wrong, but that's my understanding of it.

Sloane

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
If I had to rank the Episodes: 4>5>3>6>2>1
Agreed. 1 and 2 were a bit lame because the combat felt so slow and even repetitive -- yes, already in the first chapter.

4 was amazing because of the
stage battle
, the thing I liked most about 5 was
running around with Barry and Sarah
. Should have been more often this way.

Top Bottom