• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Zinthar

x Maiku x said:
I never implied Remedy is owned by MS. In the link you provided, Remedy specifically states that the fate of the PC version is in the hands of Microsoft. About the ease of porting, yes, I understood what you were saying. MS could've ported Fable 2, Halo 3, Gears 2, etc. easily but chose to completely abandon that platform. Flight simulator studio shut down, Ensemble studios shut down, etc. The Xbox division has more say than ever now. Its about business and its about Microsoft's image, too. They want to improve both. Very simple.

Back to the actual topic at hand, why isn't Bright Falls chapter 3 up on Live yet? :(

Microsoft dumped PC publishing b/c they were managing the business so badly that they had no other choice. They failed to get on board with Steam and other DD services and this only added to their woes. They tried to push GFW and shove it down PC gamers' and developers' throats and failed miserably.

Halo 2, Gears 1, and Fable 1 all sold extremely poorly on PC (mostly b/c they were shitty ports that were released so long after the console games), and their last Flight Simulator release was a slideshow on even extremely powerful computers. There's no good reason that this had to happen. Ensemble used to be a great studio in the late 90's, but experienced a brain drain and AoE3 was disappointing -- it sold poorly b/c Relic's PC strategy games (Company of Heroes & Dawn of War) were so much better.

Microsoft Game Studios was just so poorly managed that they ruined their rep w/ PC gamers and were forced to abandon the platform.

Sony & Nintendo have done a wonderful job w/ their first-party publishing this generation while Microsoft managed to piss off & lose their biggest developer, Bungie, which will likely mean a 360/PS3/PC release of Bungie's next game (and watch the PC version of that game sell well...).

Meanwhile, third-party publishers that traditionally had done poorly on the PC figured out how to sell games on the platform. Letting the Xbox division control more of the publishing is a big part of the downfall of Microsoft Game Studios.

watership

Zinthar said:
Microsoft dumped PC publishing b/c they were managing the business so badly that they had no other choice. They failed to get on board with Steam and other DD services and this only added to their woes. They tried to push GFW and shove it down PC gamers' and developers' throats and failed miserably.

Halo 2, Gears 1, and Fable 1 all sold extremely poorly on PC (mostly b/c they were shitty ports that were released so long after the console games), and their last Flight Simulator release was a slideshow on even extremely powerful computers. There's no good reason that this had to happen. Ensemble used to be a great studio in the late 90's, but experienced a brain drain and AoE3 was disappointing -- it sold poorly b/c Relic's PC strategy games (Company of Heroes & Dawn of War) were so much better.

Microsoft Game Studios was just so poorly managed that they ruined their rep w/ PC gamers and were forced to abandon the platform.

Sony & Nintendo have done a wonderful job w/ their first-party publishing this generation while Microsoft managed to piss off & lose their biggest developer, Bungie, which will likely mean a 360/PS3/PC release of Bungie's next game (and watch the PC version of that game sell well...).

Meanwhile, third-party publishers that traditionally had done poorly on the PC figured out how to sell games on the platform. Letting the Xbox division control more of the publishing is a big part of the downfall of Microsoft Game Studios.

Wow. Anyway, I think MS concentrated on things that make money, like their Xbox platform. Where most of the previous generation PC developers turned to for survival. Did you know there is this cool game coming out for it? Alan Wake? It looks awesome.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
x Maiku x said:
The quote on that page says it is up to Microsoft, not Remedy. Why would Microsoft suddenly change their stance on this? And you make it sound like porting between 360 and PC is like porting from 360 to PS3 or vice versa. A lot of 360 games could easily be ported to PC, but that doesn't mean they will. Realistically, why would Microsoft take that route? They've (thankfully) abandoned PC gaming and are focusing all of their effort on 360. Remedy is a small studio and they're already developing some DLC, possibly more and a sequel if it sells well. And you can bet all of the effort would go towards the sequel if that happens.

Why do you say thankfully when all of their games are coming to 360 anyway? Pretty selfish if you ask me. Does it take away anything from you if PC gamers get to play a game that is on 360 too?

GreekWolf

kittoo said:
Why do you say thankfully when all of their games are coming to 360 anyway? Pretty selfish if you ask me. Does it take away anything from you if PC gamers get to play a game that is on 360 too?
Well, it certainly hurts the Xbox division to feature a watered-down port of a stellar-looking PC game. Exclusives fuel the ship, and is a primary consideration when consumers are looking to purchase a single console.

Rad-

The genre has moved on since then. Games such as BioShock have shown how compelling and original storylines can be told in innovative ways. The likes of Uncharted 2 have offered up not just lush visuals but diverse locations and varied gameplay. With Heavy Rain, Quantic Dream broke the rules of game narrative and forced the player not only to think before pulling the trigger, but to feel.

I don't like to sound like I'm whining about the score or anything but doesn't this sound like the reviewer is trying too hard? I mean if he expects every game to deliver on these fronts, there's not many games he will enjoy.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I will fuel the fire. In Eurogamer's review, its listed as a Xbox360 and PC game.
:D
Edit: Oh same on IGN.

ShogunX

watership said:
The last few paragraphs in that review is pretty harsh. It's pretty obviously that the game rubbed this reviewer the wrong way. It almost doesn't represent the 7 SHE scored it.

The review is nothing but nitpicking to the absolute extreme. We have all of two sentences about the games atmosphere and the rest telling us how cliche and unoriginal the game is. All in all probably one of the poorer reviews I have read in some time.

I think this game could end up having quite a number of varied opinions and review scores. Seems like it's not for everyone.

Zinthar

Ouch. Early reviews look disappointing.

I was still hoping that AW was going to be the open-world game that it was originally touted as.

From Eurogamer:
There are a few of driving sections, but these are almost entirely dull and seem likely to be leftovers from the days when Alan Wake was going to be an open-world game.

GreekWolf

watership said:
The last few paragraphs in that review is pretty harsh. It's pretty obviously that the game rubbed this reviewer the wrong way. It almost doesn't represent the 7 he scored it.
Such a contrast between the Eurogamer (70)% and GamingTrend (95%) reviews.

Reading Ellie's impressions from start to finish, the overwhelming gist is that she doesn't like this genre and has a strong aversion to any video game that pretentiously works to submit itself as art/movies/drama. I can appreciate her perspective, but a quick glance at review archives shows that she was a rather curious choice for reviewing a survival horror game.

Rad-

GreekWolf said:
Such a contrast between the Eurogamer (70)% and GamingTrend (95%) reviews.

Reading Ellie's impressions from start to finish, the overwhelming gist is that she doesn't like this genre and has a strong aversion to any video game that pretentiously works to submit itself as art/movies/drama. I can appreciate her perspective, but a quick glance at review archives show that she was a curious choice for reviewing a survival horror game.

For funzies, I'll just mention that she gave Just Dance the same score. :lol

Bloodrage

Banned
Eurogamer said:
By comparison, Alan Wake is tired and derivative. Everything about it feels dated, from the linear level design to the red-green switch nonsense to the visual stylings (surely not even J Allard has attempted the hoodie-with-jacket combo since 2005). There are plenty of fancy cut-scenes, dramatic voiceovers and cinematic camera angles, but even when Alan Wake does a good job of pretending to be a film you just feel like you're watching a really bad film. That's particularly true when it comes to the ending - without spoiling anything, let's just say you're left thinking, "You mean I kick-started all those generators for that?"
:lol :lol :lol

Diamond

Wow, I don't really understand the tone of the Eurogamer review. I often agree with them, and I even agree with some of the points raised in the Alan Wake review, but it seems so harsh... Didn't read a lot of Ellie's reviews before, maybe it's not her kind of game.

Anyway, our review is up too (in french). Personally, I loved the game.

Xbox-Mag.net review

ShogunX

Review wise so far we have -

10/10 - itwire
95 - Gamingtrend
92 - X360A
90 - Videogamer
90 - Meritstation
90 - CV&G
18/20 - Xbox-mag.net
87 - Pelit
85 - IGN AU
85 - NZ gamer
80 - Eurogamer Spain
70 - Eurogamer

I have a feeling the Eurogamer review will turn out to be the lowest after all the review are in and it's a shame because the review is pretty terrible to boot.

Lunchbox

Banned
Rad- said:
With Heavy Rain, Quantic Dream broke the rules of game narrative and forced the player not only to think before pulling the trigger, but to feel.

this game isnt anything like that shit called heavy rain? SWEET

ordering 3 copies

Sloane

Banned
GreekWolf said:
I can appreciate her perspective, but a quick glance at review archives shows that she was a rather curious choice for reviewing a survival horror game.
Yeah, I don't care about the review itself or the score, but I thought she normally writes supposedly funny stuff about Wii and DS games?

But I'm not reading reviews anymore, anyway.

Yoboman

CVG said:
Despite its floors we had a fantastic time playing through Remedy's gripping, nerve-wracking story and with a host of planned post-release DLC set to follow up the game's cliff hanger ending, that six-year construction still might warrant a place on the Xbox 360 hall of fame.

Oh damn, I was hoping this game would be floorless

Dead Man

x Maiku x said:
Microsoft doesn't even publish games on PC anymore. And rightfully so. The PC version was canceled, just as the would-be PS3 version was before it.
I don't really want to get into the whole PC thing... but really? Rightfully so? :lol

Chrange

Banned
I thought it was kind of funny that Eurogamer kept going on and on about how it had no innovation but also kept mentioning the combat mechanic is interesting and unique.

wizword

Banned
Sloane said:
Yeah, I don't care about the review itself or the score, but I thought she normally writes supposedly funny stuff about Wii and DS games?

But I'm not reading reviews anymore, anyway.
The review is great. It is funny, well written, and tells you what the game is about. Ignore the fanboy bullshit here right now.

ShogunX

wizword said:
The review is great. It is funny, well written, and tells you what the game is about. Ignore the fanboy bullshit here right now.

Sorry but the review is a poor one. Not only does she have parts of the story completely wrong she makes up her own version of it and then proceeds to mock it.

Poimandres said:
I still expect to be flawed by this game, floors or not.

Who say's you aren't going to be? The game has so far received more 9's than anything else :/

Top Bottom