• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

tomedo

eshwaaz said:
Damn. Maybe there's hope for longer-term sales for Alan Wake based on positive word-of-mouth. Didn't Remedy basically say that their continued existence is dependent on strong sales?

Losing to R* game in the charts does not equal failure. =D Im sure that the target numbers for RDR and AW are quite different...

Why in the fuck is M$ not marketing the fuck out of this game? That's why my whole friends list is playing Red Dead Redemption and not this. And they SHOULD be playing this.

So awesome. Just finished EP 2.

polyh3dron said:
Why in the fuck is M$ not marketing the fuck out of this game? That's why my whole friends list is playing Red Dead Redemption and not this. And they SHOULD be playing this.

To tell you the truth man, I have seen MAYBE MAYBE 1 commercial for this while I see one every other hour for RDR.

Trickster

Finally finished the game. Was pretty long compared to what I had expected, when episode 5 started, I was pretty sure that was gonna be the last one. But nope :)

Overall this game was absolutely fantastic, I really dug the narration and story (except the ending).

The graphics are okay during daytime, but at night it's just absolutely gorgeous.

Combat was fun, the use of light was well implemented, but the combat still got a bit repetitive.

Only major complaint I have, is that the ending makes hardly any sense and is overall totally unsatisfying. I really hope there is a sequel to make the ending make some more sense.

AwesomeSyrup said:
This game is not fun at all.
That sucks for ya, man. Then again, spooky and practically oppressive games are never "fun" for me, either. Not any of the Silent Hills or Sirens or Fatal Frames or others that truly get me on edge somewhat regularly...but "fun" isn't why I play these particular games...I'm looking for a rollercoaster of chills and edge of seat survival experience.

I had more fun with RE5 because it didn't feel almost hopelessly relentless with its constant assaults and even when it was, I had a great deal of leverage over most of the enemies, no matter the number or strength, thanks to all of the moves and firepower you're afforded as a baseline of ability. That can hold true for many of the other REs at different times and even the Silent Hill games because the formula becomes something familiar enough to know what to expect and how to best exploit the game to gain an advantage. AW is pretty much nothing like those two or even like many others...it's the thrill of experiencing the challenges and surviving to see the next part of the story...and how much twisted it becomes.

Anyway, I love it so far, but it's definitely not for everyone. Truly the most post-processed crazy dynamic-looking console game period. A game that truly has thick atmosphere and the scariest, most angry fucking woods in any game ever. Story's fun, too. Gameplay's like almost like a bizzarro Max Payne where the action is constantly stacked against you with precious little opportunity to plan rather than putting you in control of when and how to initiate an encounter that you are often given in MP. Works even if it's a bit exasperating at times.

If the ending bothers you, check out the spoilers thread. It won't 'solve' anything, but it will get you thinking about it and maybe help you appreciate it a little better.

eshwaaz said:
I really hope that Alan Wake's sales aren't smothered by Red Dead Redemption. Red Dead is also excellent and certainly deserves strong sales as well, but I think Alan Wake is more likely to suffer from the same day release. I don't know that a new IP from a lesser known (at least in the console market) developer can compete with the latest open-world game from "the guys who make GTA".

It's annecdotal evidence I know, but when I was at the midnight launch as far as I could tell I was the only person picking up Alan Wake. They also had a mountain of RDR copies, and only about ten copies of Alan Wake on the counter. They had three LEs as well, one of which I picked up. When I went back on wednesday they still had the other two sitting there. Hopefully that's not indicitive of actual sales.

Trickster

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, the lady of the light song is fan-fucking-tastic, great great song that I'm gonna be listening too for the forseeable future.

And oh yeah, Barry, dude is awesome. Really like the writing for him, he has some great lines :lol

Tokubetsu

One thing I love about the narration, and the manuscripts is how they fit for how they're telling the story. Everytime Alan is thinking out loud, it's pretty much spot on with what I'm thinking. One example is Episode 2 where you need the keys for the car and he mentions about being grateful for the headlights...I shit you not the exact thing ran through my mind after running through the dark forest. I know some don't like the pages because they're out of order and "spoiling" things to come later but I think it works since you're supposed to be in Alan's shoes. Confused and frustrated by them.

Dries

les papillons sexuels said:
my take on the ending
SPOILER
There's no lighthouse in brightfalls.

the ending ties the game back to the original nightmare sequence at the beginning of the game.

the reason he turns cauldron lake into an ocean is so he can introduce the lighthouse (safest place on earth?) setting to destroy the darkness once and for all.

I might be completely wrong, but that's my understanding of it.

Actually, this is a pretty good one.

Pride

TheLegendary said:
Episode 4 is superb.
The stage battle
is pretty much THE coolest moment in a game I've played in years :lol.

Agreed. Just finished Episode 4 tonight and that was the best part.

derFeef

Seeing so much love for Episode 4, and I agree it is great. although I love the faster pacing in Episode 5 more and the different setpieces it provides. EP6 was such a letdown compared to both :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dammit why did Alan have to come out at the same time as RDR.
I vow that I will buy this game next time I have $60 expendable, I've waited so long and it sounds awesome. I've found that I'm on the LOVE side of most divisive games so I should be gold.

adelante

Tokubetsu said:
One thing I love about the narration, and the manuscripts is how they fit for how they're telling the story. Everytime Alan is thinking out loud, it's pretty much spot on with what I'm thinking. One example is Episode 2 where you need the keys for the car and he mentions about being grateful for the headlights...I shit you not the exact thing ran through my mind after running through the dark forest. I know some don't like the pages because they're out of order and "spoiling" things to come later but I think it works since you're supposed to be in Alan's shoes. Confused and frustrated by them.
Had the same experience in Episode 3, where he couldn't be happier to see the sun rise and I had already expressed the same sentiment just seconds earlier. And in the same episode, I found it hilarious when we both were complaining about how
he kept falling off cliffs
:lol

I come into this thread just having read some amazing Red Dead Redemption impressions...only to find even more praise for Alan Wake. Damn it. I can barely afford one!

polyh3dron said:

Most of my friends are playing AW and not RDR. Must be a US thing ;)

G_Berry

Banned
Don't know if this has been posted (been avoiding thread until I finish it). Nice homage :D

photo3.jpg

Prine

Banned
derFeef said:
Because RDR comes out after AW in EU. But yeah, MS is really shabby on marketing for this gem.

This is troubling me greatly. I dont want Remedy to get pissed off, MS should be doing all they can to keep them happy. This is one of the best games released through MGS, they should be honored to carry such a quality title.

stupei

Tokubetsu said:

I know you're not the one making this point, but it never makes sense when I hear people saying this. The game's narrative was designed to be told in this way. It's not a spoiler of something we aren't meant to know; it's foreshadowing. It's deliberate and intended to build tension in a unique way. Like
when you read that Nightingale shoots at Alan, the real question isn't "is he going to shoot at me?" but rather "wtf, why is this crazy dude shooting at me?" And not only that, but you get some time to anticipate your first encounter with the agent, really building him up with repeat mentions beforehand.

Just strikes me that complaining that the manuscript pages are spoilers is a little like someone complaining that the movie Memento is nothing but an hour and a half of near endless spoilers. No, it's not. It's the way the story is designed to be told.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
So amazon sent me a code for a female Alan wake avatar shirt. If any girl gamers or anyone that has in interest in wearing female shirts you can have it. First pm response gets the code.

Tokubetsu

G_Berry said:
Don't know if this has been posted (been avoiding thread until I finish it). Nice homage :D

photo3.jpg

Max Payne's voice actor pops up to and a bit of his story as well.

stupei said:
I know you're not the one making this point, but it never makes sense when I hear people saying this. The game's narrative was designed to be told in this way. It's not a spoiler of something we aren't meant to know; it's foreshadowing. It's deliberate and intended to build tension in a unique way. Like
when you read that Nightingale shoots at Alan, the real question isn't "is he going to shoot at me?" but rather "wtf, why is this crazy dude shooting at me?" And not only that, but you get some time to anticipate your first encounter with the agent, really building him up with repeat mentions beforehand.

Just strikes me that complaining that the manuscript pages are spoilers is a little like someone complaining that the movie Memento is nothing but an hour and a half of near endless spoilers. No, it's not. It's the way the story is designed to be told.

Better than I put it.

Cardigan

Pretty disappointed by
Episode 6
...it really dragged on for me. Loved Episode 5, I wish there could have been more
running around with Barry and Sarah
in the game. Overall - fantastic game. Now, I've gotta read the LE book and wait for the DLC to come out.

Zweisy1

Just finished Alan Wake on normal. Amazing, amazing game. I knew I could trust in Remedy to put out an quality game. So impressed by the the smooth controls and intense combat.. Its the first thriller/horror game where I've actually enjoyed the gameplay.
The storyline, writing and graphics were great too.. and I really love the humour Remedy puts in their games.

There are certainly things to improve upon but overall it was one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've had in years. Max Payne 2 is one of my all time favourites and this one might have just outdone it.

Ok now on to Nightmare.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
LiK said:
Barry Wheeler rules. That is all.

Agreed,
when I first saw him with the head torch and the Christmas lights wrapped around him it really cracked me up
, such a great character.

Cardigan

Everyone's talking about playing Nightmare for the second play through - you guys are crazy. I was stressed enough playing on hard. I'd probably have a heart attack playing Nightmare and trying to find all the collectibles.

Beat episode 2 last night. Absolutely loving the game...will almost definitely be my GOTY.

AW reminds me of Deadly Premonition mixed with RE4 with a little bit of Uncharted thrown in for good measure.

I have gotten about half way through episode 2. Freaking loving it! :D Playing at a much slower pace then you all but so far its been a hell of an enjoyment.

Looks like I need to pick up Max Payne with how much its getting mentioned in the thread. :lol

Edit: Saw I can get both for 15 in steam. Not shabby. Will pick up before apparently the new one comes out this XMAS.

FrankT

Opus Angelorum said:
I come into this thread just having read some amazing Red Dead Redemption impressions...only to find even more praise for Alan Wake. Damn it. I can barely afford one!

Nice to see these really positive impressions somewhat contrasting reviews. Anyways whoever said play it at night is right. Night is where it is at with this game.

Jtyettis said:
Nice to see these really positive impressions somewhat contrasting reviews. Anyways whoever said play it at night is right. Night is where it is at with this game.

Yeah I am def. only playing this game after work in the dark.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Dries said:
If only I could erase my memory and play it again..
This is actually how I felt after I beat Heavy Rain. I am not digging how most of you are almost finished if not finished with this game and it has not been out for a week. $60 is a lot of money for such a brief experience. :(

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
G_Berry said:

photo3.jpg

That section is CHOCK full of Max Payne references. Take a look at the bookshelf in Alan's office, one of his novels is titled 'Return to Sender', something Max Payne fans would immediately identify. Obviously also the first two manuscript pages sitting on his desk too are even less subtle essentially detailing the core plot structure of those two games, even using the original voice actor from MP2 to narrate them I think? Had a total nerd boner wandering that apartment.

Adore the game so far, only at the beginning of Episode 3, and am taking my time only putting a couple hours in each night to savor it, but I am finding it all just fantastic. Dying to revisit it on Nightmare mode with commentary turned on once finished.

BluWacky

I finished Alan Wake off last night, and found it to be an intensely frustrating experience. While objectively it's got good graphics, fluid controls etc. and the game is effective at unnerving you during the night-time gameplay sequences (particularly if you're as wussy as me), I just feel that the game continually conspired against immersing me in the experience.

This is clearly a "me" thing, as reading back over the thread it's clear that a lot of people feel really drawn into the narrative and gameplay. But there's all sorts of things which I just felt ruined the execution:

i) The manuscript pages. I know that for a lot of people they increase the tension, and I think on occasion they work quite well for deepening the plot. But gameplay spoilers - i.e. revealing upcoming "bosses" etc. - just don't work. If you know a bad guy's going to come up shortly (and the manuscript pages never reveal much beyond the next ten to fifteen minutes of gameplay) it spoils the tension. The game gets it right in certain places where bad guys just pop out of almost nowhere, but then the manuscripts ruin the effect.

ii) The radio shows/Night Falls broadcasts. Atmospheric? Yes, to an extent. But I'm spoiled by Bioshock - making me essentially put down the controller and get a cup of tea and a biscuit while I listen to/watch the broadcasts ruins the scene. You don't get attacked in these segments, so there's nothing to do, and it really killed my immersion. Not quite as much as the thermos collecting, which has absolutely no place in this game if you ask me; manuscripts fine, but coffee thermoses which have absolutely no point to them?

iii) The daylight sequences. Clearly a holdover from the open world version of the game, they're just barely interactive movie sequences now. You spend so little time in any of the daylight areas that they're useless for character development, and you don't really get a chance to revisit them even at night. If they'd been developed more - if there was a more investigative side to the game, perhaps - then I think they'd have been quite effective and a good contrast with the night gameplay, but as it is they're just... there.

iv) The terrible facial animation, but then that's something that everyone's commented on. It's a shame, as the body animation is quite good.

v) The NARRATION. Oh god the narration. It ruins some decent "cinematography" in the cutscenes. Particularly in Chapter 3 - there's the scene when
Alan sits and waits in that abandoned coal train shed for Mott to call him but never shows up
where it's perfectly obvious from what's shown on screen exactly how Alan feels and what's going on (and is nicely edited, directed etc.), but the game has the need to spew THIS IS WHAT ALAN IS FEELING narration at you which ruins the scene entirely. The narrative itself is quite strong - not super complicated but twisty enough to engage my interest - but again it's conveyed quite poorly.

There are other more gameplay-esque things which are more minor irritations - the lack of enemy variety, the tried-and-tested tactic of being able to find every single collectable by going down the branch of the path that isn't indicated by the yellow dot (incidentally, I didn't find a single item by wandering around in the woods - I found virtually all of them by following the "other" branches of the main path) - but these don't detract significantly from the experience.

The problem with my lack of immersion in the game is that I detached from the whole experience and began to see it as a series of stock gaming moments. Take, for instance, the bit in Chapter 4 where
you set up base at the rock stage on the farm
. Other people in this thread call that an awesome set piece - I call it
yet another outpost defense moment
, like the
outlook in Chapter 2
or the
church in Chapter 5
. I don't see the awesome - I see the
killing-the-waves-of-Taken-again-like-I've-done-before
. Plus I found the whole thing utterly contrived anyway...

This is a bit of a rant, I guess, and I am bashing the game a bit. I just found it so frustrating that a game with a lot of good in it could irritate me so much.

witness

Game is so much fun (right at the end of chapt 3), I don't see why its scary at all, and the combat is so super satisfying to me in the same way RE4's combat was satisfying back in '05.

BluWacky said:
This is a bit of a rant, I guess, and I am bashing the game a bit. I just found it so frustrating that a game with a lot of good in it could irritate me so much.

Well this just goes to show that some people really dig what Remedy was going for and others such as yourself will see the issues with their decisions. Thats perfectly fine. It happens.

Top Bottom