• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Karram

Finished the game on hard an hour ago, and I really liked. The atmosphere, storytelling and graphics were top notch and characters were pretty likable but it still had lots of problems.

First the combat, I can't actually say its bad because its not, the problem is that it gets old by chapter 5 and by the end of chapter 6 I just felt its way too much and just wanted the game to end, maybe because I just got used to it and it became so easy and not challenging and thats probably why people didn't like chapter 6. Enemy variety definitely contributes to the combat repetition and the pacing was horrible in chapter 5 and 6. I felt like the game could had more boss battles
The final boss battle was pretty great .One of the best moments of the game
I also kinda felt Remedy couldn't make a challenging puzzle throughout the game.

Also the jumping is so clunky it should have worked the same way as Uncharted 2.

I loved the Collectibles so much except the thermoses since they're useless and lame compared to the others. Also in some moments Thermoses totally took out the immersion out of the game. I managed to get all TVs without any guides which is good thing they didn't make them impossible to find without a guide unlike the thermoses.

Saying that though I'm definitely looking forward to Alan Wake 2. Hoping they'll get it done in less than 5 years.

Solo

Rahxephon91 said:
Best game credit song ever thats for sure.

I havent beat the game yet, but whatever the song is, its going to be hard pressed to beat "In Dreams" (Ep. 1) and "The Poet and the Muse" (Ep. 4), which were both so fucking perfect.

Finished it last night. Amazing game. Truly amazing.

100% Thermoses
100% Normal Manuscripts
100% TVs
100% Radios
100% signs
7/12 Can Pyramids (I think, but I got the achievement for 5 either way)

Gonna give AW a break now, and go back to the Nightmare run later.

Limited Editon Disc is pretty cool. I like what it includes. Amazing to see the changes the game has gone through from 05 to 2010 through the trailers, screens and concept work.

Aspiring

I Sooooooo want to play this. Have had it since launch, but want to finish of RDR first. Its too addictive and cant put it down, but man i am chomping at the bit to play it. I just have to keep resisting and not reading spoiler tags. I have one question though. My Amp (reciever) is in the shop getting fixed, how is the sound in this game? It looks very atmospheric and would i be missing out if i played it now without it? Yes i am looking for an excuse to wait a little longer :lol

dralla

the music in general is great.

anyone remember which song plays at the end of each chapter?

1. Roy Orbison - ???
2. Poe - Haunted
3. ???
4. Old Gods - Poet and The Muse
5. ???
6. David Bowie - Space Oddity

Max

I am not Max
So do you unlock anything by collecting all this crap? Or is it just for achievements?

Max Payne costume?????????

feel

Aspiring said:
I Sooooooo want to play this. Have had it since launch, but want to finish of RDR first. Its too addictive and cant put it down, but man i am chomping at the bit to play it. I just have to keep resisting and not reading spoiler tags. I have one question though. My Amp (reciever) is in the shop getting fixed, how is the sound in this game? It looks very atmospheric and would i be missing out if i played it now without it? Yes i am looking for an excuse to wait a little longer :lol
Wait.

Solo

dralla said:
the music in general is great.

anyone remember which song plays at the end of each chapter?

1. Roy Orbison - ???
2. Poe - Haunted
3. ???
4. Old Gods - Poet and The Muse
5. ???
6. David Bowie - Space Oddity

In Dream by Roy Orbison

Old Gods of Asgard are just Poets of the Fall, who actually have 3 tracks in the game, all 3 of which are AWESOME.

Aspiring

Letters said:

Awesome will do. Cant wait to get my amp back though. Playing through shitty tv speakers really kills a lot of games. And this looks so atmospheric, i really want to enjoy the experience.

Still considering picking up the LE as it's still available on Amazon

Can somone let me know, how did the commentary/making-of supplements turn out?

Thanks

AgentOtaku said:
Still considering picking up the LE as it's still available on Amazon

Can somone let me know, how did the commentary/making-of supplements turn out?

Thanks
If they're the same as the US ones, pretty great. The star, IMO, was the book, the Alan Wake Files. Really helps to fill in details and better define the world with another look at some of the events in the story, and those preceding the start of the game. The video commentary, when turned on, places a small talking head in the lower left of the screen when you hit various spots automatically unlike the Valve ones which are points to interact with visualized in the game's locales. The sampler soundtrack is nice, including some of the score, and the Poet and the Muse track with a few other licensed ones, and all of the old trailers from 2005 onward as well as a gallery of official promo shots. The 'making of' videos were pretty good as was the look at Remedy's history. As a nice bonus, two of the premium themes are included and you'll unlock the original Alan Wake costume for your avatar by starting the video commentary mode. So, yeah, really worth it.

Uncle

MightyHedgehog said:
As a nice bonus, two of the premium themes are included and you'll unlock the original Alan Wake costume for your avatar by starting the video commentary mode. So, yeah, really worth it.

+ A set of gamer pictures or whatever they are called.

MightyHedgehog said:
If they're the same as the US ones, pretty great. The star, IMO, was the book, the Alan Wake Files. Really helps to fill in details and better define the world with another look at some of the events in the story, and those preceding the start of the game. The video commentary, when turned on, places a small talking head in the lower left of the screen when you hit various spots automatically unlike the Valve ones which are points to interact with visualized in the game's locales. The sampler soundtrack is nice, including some of the score, and the Poet and the Muse track with a few other licensed ones, and all of the old trailers from 2005 onward as well as a gallery of official promo shots. The 'making of' videos were pretty good as was the look at Remedy's history. As a nice bonus, two of the premium themes are included and you'll unlock the original Alan Wake costume for your avatar by starting the video commentary mode. So, yeah, really worth it.

thanks man, I really appreciate it! :D

After beating this, I have been playing some RDR. Was going to save my nightmare run for closer to when the first DLC first came out, but I have this urge to finish it for achievement completions sake. I have 3 coffee thermoses and a page or two missing, but I believe I know exactly where all 3 are.

Not needing to find all the collectables, how long do you guys think it would take to do a nightmare run?

Scarecrow

Ah, finally finished it tonight. I'm not quite fast enough to get everything that happened, plot wise, but it was still pretty neat. Don't know how they'll fit in the DLC, though.

Is the ost available?

Larsen B

Pretty disappointed with the manuscript pages in the final two episodes on Nightmare. Didn't particularly give any more insight into the story.

Still enjoyable a second time through. Ran away from far more fights than I did on Hard and so ended each chapter with about 10 flare gun rounds.

AgentOtaku said:
So replayability in this is pretty good then?
If you find yourself wanting to get everything, yeah. Looking for missing manuscript pages, television shows, and radio broadcasts, at least, offer some unique bit of content as opposed to a more traditional collectible, like the thermoses. As well, you can make it a point to listen to every bit of dialogue instead walking away too early. Some of them go on for minutes.

MightyHedgehog said:
If you find yourself wanting to get everything, yeah. Looking for missing manuscript pages, television shows, and radio broadcasts, at least, offer some unique bit of content as opposed to a more traditional collectible, like the thermoses. As well, you can make it a point to listen to every bit of dialogue instead walking away too early. Some of them go on for minutes.

Word

derFeef

Hammer24 said:
Missing the last radio!
Is there one in Ep6, or did I miss one inbetween?
Nope.

edit: I forgot, I got the radio achievement in Episode 4 at my first playthrough, so there are no Radios left in Episode 5 and 6. hope it saves you some time ;)

Tokubetsu

I really wish there was a way to get the Bright Falls prequel in great quality on my pc. I don't want to rip shitty youtube videos. They should have somehow packaged it with the LCE.

skyfinch

For the "get to Calderon (spelling) lake with firing a single shot" achievement, does that include the flare gun?

Also, has anyone done this achievement? Sounds pretty insane considering how long the level is.

Kifimbo

Tokubetsu said:
I really wish there was a way to get the Bright Falls prequel in great quality on my pc. I don't want to rip shitty youtube videos. They should have somehow packaged it with the LCE.

BrightFalls.com ?

Is it recommended to play this on hard the first time through?

YES.

skyfinch said:
For the "get to Calderon (spelling) lake with firing a single shot" achievement, does that include the flare gun?

Also, has anyone done this achievement? Sounds pretty insane considering how long the level is.
i am looking forwards to trying :)

enemies disperse when you hit the lights, and they checkpoint, so hopefully it won't take that out of your time and you can do it in segments.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
skyfinch said:

I think it probably includes the Flare Gun but I never tried it because I didn't want to ruin my chance at getting the achievement if I could do without it. It doesn't include the Flare and Flashbang grenades, however.

It was pretty hard and frustrating but also pretty intense - more intense than usual because I limited my weapon choice. I did it on normal also, I don't think I would have been able to do it on any other difficulty.

skyfinch

Shrinnan said:
I think it probably includes the Flare Gun but I never tried it because I didn't want to ruin my chance at getting the achievement if I could do without it. It doesn't include the Flare and Flashbang grenades, however.

It was pretty hard and frustrating but also pretty intense - more intense than usual because I limited my weapon choice. I did it on normal also, I don't think I would have been able to do it on any other difficulty.

Cool, thanks. I'll give it a go tonight....on normal. Could barely make my way to the end on hard/nightmare while shooting everything in sight.

Shrennin

skyfinch said:
Cool, thanks. I'll give it a go tonight....on normal. Could barely make my way to the end on hard/nightmare while shooting everything in sight.

I also should probably tell you this:

If you mistakenly fire your gun by accident, just reload to the last checkpoint. I shot my shotgun by accident and reloaded to my last checkpoint but there was always this worry that the game recorded me as firing a shot. Luckily it didn't and I still got the achievement.

skyfinch

Shrinnan said:
I also should probably tell you this:

If you mistakenly fire your gun by accident, just reload to the last checkpoint. I shot my shotgun by accident and reloaded to my last checkpoint but there was always this worry that the game recorded me as firing a shot. Luckily it didn't and I still got the achievement.

Good to know. Had something like that happen in Splinter Cell (can't be detected for an entire level), and wasn't sure if I had to restart the entire level or not, if I did get detected. Thanks.

Larsen B

I did Gunless Wonder on Hard.

The only challenging spot is the fight towards the end. I had to do a lot of luring
chainsaw-wielding
Taken into the
spotlight

Otherwise it's good practice for Nightmare. Use quick stabs of the flashlight to blind/halt Taken and run away from them. When you're out of breath, turn around, blind them and start running again.

skyfinch said:

I did it on nightmare, you can only use flares(NOT THE FLARE GUN!!) and flashbangs.

Shrennin

skyfinch said:
Good to know. Had something like that happen in Splinter Cell (can't be detected for an entire level), and wasn't sure if I had to restart the entire level or not, if I did get detected. Thanks.

No problem. I remember a game that had a similar achievement to Alan Wake (not Splinter Cell) and I think it messed my achievement up.

Also, I think I noticed an extra clue with the story:

Did anyone notice the tree stump with the initials carved in it? It looked like a "B" and "E". Could that be Barbara Jagger and Emil Hartman? This could confirm that Jagger did cheat on Zane (and with Zane's assistant no less) which could lead to Zane killing the real Jagger.

Top Bottom