• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

skyfinch

I know there are some manuscripts that only appear when you play on Nightmare difficulty, but is that the same for hidden chest, can pyramids, signs etc?

I started the game on Hard, then did a second run on Nightmare, and I swear I looked through every nook and cranny but am still missing a bunch of things. The only difficulty I haven't tried it on is Normal.

derFeef

skyfinch said:
Sam should just quit his pathetic search for Alice and hook up with Sarah. At least she's not afraid of the dark.
Who? :lol
skyfinch said:
I started the game on Hard, then did a second run on Nightmare, and I swear I looked through every nook and cranny but am still missing a bunch of things. The only difficulty I haven't tried it on is Normal.
Yeah, I miss NORMAL manuscript pages. Weird as I look in every corner.

Just over half way on episode 3 but man...
did the part where you are waiting to leave the room where the kidnapper was going to meet you, and then the darkness comes and shakes the whole damn place
I just about shit myself there for some reason. :lol :lol :lol

Tek

Due to this game called RDR, I haven't really had much playing time with Alan Wake. In fact I'm still on Episode 1. I decided to play some more last night and I start wandering down this road...then I see a thermos so I'm like yay! I keep hearing these sounds behind me and I'm like must be the wind...

I get my thermos and turn around to see like 6 Taken coming after me....I panic...I try to run away, but a few axes in the face and I'm dead.

I turned off the game, put back in RDR and went back to picking flowers....

I don't need Alan Wake's stress right now...I have flowers to pick!

derFeef

Tek said:
Due to this game called RDR, I haven't really had much playing time with Alan Wake. In fact I'm still on Episode 1. I decided to play some more last night and I start wandering down this road...then I see a thermos so I'm like yay! I keep hearing these sounds behind me and I'm like must be the wind...

I get my thermos and turn around to see like 6 Taken coming after me....I panic...I try to run away, but a few axes in the face and I'm dead.

:lol Sure its not WoW?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Tek said:

i love that videogames make things like "picking flowers" fun! i teach in an inner city school rife with gangs and drugs, and i am constantly hearing my students talking about their "horse", "hunting beavers", and "getting killed by cougars". i half expect them to come to school wearing cowboy hats now :lol

pakkit

Banned
op_ivy said:
i teach in an inner city school rife with gangs and drugs, and i am constantly hearing my students talking about their "horse", "hunting beavers", and "getting killed by cougars".
...Are you sure they're talking about videogames?

Goddammit Barry is hilarious during
the Rock stage.
"This is the best moment of our lives!"

"They're trying to kill us!"

"It's Children of the Elder Gods! Enjoy it!"

Solo

Beat Episode Four. Holy shit the
rock concert
is PURE Max Payne :D Goddamn this game is so great. I bet that sequence alone will trump Max Payne In Name Only coming out later this year.

Hawk269

I am about half way through reading the Alan Wake Illuminate book and man it is really good..alot of backround on Remedy and the game itself. If you can find it, I would highly suggest you pick it up...definately worth it.

Ugh, what a terrible game. I don't think I can accurately express how much I disliked it. Terrible combat, insanely repetitive enemies, horrible story and dialogue, not to mention the most annoying character I've ever seen in a videogame (Barry).

Gotta love how the "Dark Presence" is more concerned with tossing train cars and knocking down trees as opposed to actually killing you with these multi-ton objects. The first time it happened was neat, but by the time the twentieth tree fell down I was ready for it to all end. And the game was not scary. At all. Not once did I fear enemies, considering the game gave me enough ammo to outfit a small army. "Oh shit, it's another possessed giant spool! I'll literally LOOK at it and defeat it." Give me a fucking break.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. The lighting and environments are great (but spending eight hours in the same-looking dark "spooky" forest environment is an excercise in patience). Not even worth the money I spent to rent it. Thank god I didn't drop sixty bones on this turd.

Jack Scofield said:
Ugh, what a terrible game. I don't think I can accurately express how much I disliked it. Terrible combat, insanely repetitive enemies, horrible story and dialogue, not to mention the most annoying character I've ever seen in a videogame (Barry).

Gotta love how the "Dark Presence" is more concerned with tossing train cars and knocking down trees as opposed to actually killing you with these multi-ton objects. The first time it happened was neat, but by the time the twentieth tree fell down I was ready for it to all end. And the game was not scary. At all. Not once did I fear enemies, considering the game gave me enough ammo to outfit a small army. "Oh shit, it's another possessed giant spool! I'll literally LOOK at it and defeat it." Give me a fucking break.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. The lighting and environments are great (but spending eight hours in the same-looking dark "spooky" forest environment is an excercise in patience). Not even worth the money I spent to rent it. Thank god I didn't drop sixty bones on this turd.

You sound like your trolling the game to be honest with comments like those. I am willing to bet you played on normal also...

Jack Scofield said:

Looks like someone doesn't have good taste in videogames.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Jack Scofield said:

Im going to guess you bought RDR though. :lol

Just finished the game last night. Didn't really like chapters 1&2 but man did this game gets good later on. I really liked just looking/exploring the environments. Tearing was really noticeable in the later chapters I mean holy crap. o_O The limited sprint is annoying, like when trying to run from a gaggle of Taken, or if just wanna to explore. Still need to read all the manuscripts though ,missed a good chunk of them too. Story was good but the ending...

I don't get the complaints about the limited sprint ability. If you didn't have it, the Taken would have to be faster to suit in order to maintain tension and challenge. I think people didn't learn to budget their stamina in the game for dodges and opportune moments for running away.

Solo

Dont get me wrong, I love the licensed music selections, but the one thing that would put this over the top for me would be an Akira Yamaoka score.

skyfinch

Dax01 said:
96/100 thermoses
29/30 chests found
13/14 TV shows found
15/25 signs found

Grrr.

I have....
106/106 manuscripts
98/100 thermoses
29/30 chests found
14/14 TV shows found
24/25 signs found
10/12 can pyramids

Let me tell you, it's a bitch trying to find the last few items.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MightyHedgehog said:
I don't get the complaints about the limited sprint ability. If you didn't have it, the Taken would have to be faster to suit in order to maintain tension and challenge. I think people didn't learn to budget their stamina in the game for dodges and opportune moments for running away.

It's more than possible to reconcile those two things. Make default move speed faster. Make Alan have unlimited or more sprint in non-combat situations. Make the Taken able to move fast enough so that Alan's sprint doesn't allow him to escape.

Movement in the game was wayyyyy too slow in non-combat zones, especially in the segments where you're not allowed to run at all. I found myself jumping along paths like you'd roll across the overworld in Zelda. It was pretty bad.

mujun

Really with the taste comments and trolling claims. He doesn't dig the game, fair enough.

Horrible story? Really, I think it's one of the best stories I've ever experienced in a game. Great pacing, well written as a parody of Stephen Kingesque stuff, great characters (the psychiatrist and Barry), etc.

Don't see how it's repetitive. There are several enemy types and what you are doing changes so frequently I never felt like it got stale. Do you enjoy COD and the like, or battlefield? Those are games with the same enemy over and over again.

On hard I felt "fear" numerous times, I was often faced with a horde of enemies and nothing but a flashlight and a revolver without enough ammo to take them out.

Again your complaint about the dark presence seems silly when you consider that the game is supposed to be like an airport horror novel, all melodramatic lead up and posturing and very little real psychological fear.

Your comment on it not being even worth the price of a rental does come across a little "trollish" though.

Stumpokapow said:
It's more than possible to reconcile those two things. Make default move speed faster. Make Alan have unlimited or more sprint in non-combat situations. Make the Taken able to move fast enough so that Alan's sprint doesn't allow him to escape.
Given the nature of the game trying to keep you tense and on your toes with Taken appearing suddenly, I don't think an instantaneous shift from unlimited sprint to limited sprint helps as it make it clear as day when you are actually under threat. The game would lose its ease of being able to work with the possibility of danger but not necessarily confirmation that something is out there actively zeroing in on your position. Certainty of threat would bleed away a lot of the game's end effect because it then becomes too easy to spot and define moments of danger...making the game more tedious thanks to its greater transparency. The fear of the unknown is then completely lost and you'll likely have to be subjected to more jump scares of the classic closet-monster type to maintain unease. The game does a lot of clear-cut advertising of an encounter with the Taken, but many of the most tense moments in the game are when you're not sure if they're out there or not until you get too far away from them.

Movement in the game was wayyyyy too slow in non-combat zones, especially in the segments where you're not allowed to run at all. I found myself jumping along paths like you'd roll across the overworld in Zelda. It was pretty bad.
Maybe, but I didn't think it was too slow because I was busy exploring for items and enjoying the game's regularly amazing vistas. I suppose if you were impatient, it could be a bit trudge-y...I guess my gaming-induced rush-through mentality isn't as severe as others.

Tokubetsu

Dax01 said:
96/100 thermoses
29/30 chests found
13/14 TV shows found
15/25 signs found

Grrr.

Waiting for me LE guide and bts book to arrive before finishing my 2nd playthrough and getting all the collectibles. I know the tv show I missed was the last one in Chapter 5.

Veelk

Banned
FateBreaker said:
I am going out of my way and advertising this game myself. I hope you are all doing the same because I WANT SEASON 2 GODDAMNIT. :lol

I've hyped it up at the few places where I post. I'm hoping to write a review in a bit, after I finish it on Nightmare, hopefully that'll get people's attention. How are you doing it?

so my brother's birthday is coming up next month and though he's not a huge gamer, he does have a 360, and he LOVED the PSone/PS2 Silent Hill games....is this right up his assway?

Tokubetsu

Ninja Scooter said:
so my brother's birthday is coming up next month and though he's not a huge gamer, he does have a 360, and he LOVED the PSone/PS2 Silent Hill games....is this right up his assway?

Yes, get it. Easily. As someone said earlier, all it's missing is an Akira Yamaoka score.

On the subject, kinda, here is a JP tv spot for Alan Wake posted on Remedy's YT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PGguJX74I4

Seems to be playing up the thriller aspect.

derFeef

Looks like people are rushing through the game and therefore not enjoy it. I really want to look over someones shoulder who says this is a terrible game.

Max

I am not Max
Shame such a beautiful game runs at a noticeably lower resolution. I'm not one to complain about graphics, ever, but I could just be stubborn that this isn't out on PC.

Loving the game so far otherwise. The Max Payne references(?) are nice too. The sound of locked doors, the New York blizzard flashback, and Wake's previous book manuscripts with Max's voice. So good.

Top Bottom